• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

mrkgoo

It is a brand thing, and is something you don't change with a 20 year plus series.

Why not?

I mean, stuff is changing all the time, I don't see why there should always be such things fixed as " Link's tunic in reveal trailers."

There are probably better and more important things to care about.

mantidor

Epona is the celtic horse god. It's not a name invented in the game, you are bound to see it at some point out there, unrelated to anything about games.

peronmls

0x5ONm5.jpg

STUPID HORSE! EPONA!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

No one else noticed that this character is clearly right handed? Unless this game is controlled with a Wiimote and Nunchuk (I doubt it, they'll stick to Gamepad instead) this person ain't Link.

Yes there's the TP and SS precedence of Link being right handed but those are the exceptions and only because of the Wiimote. Link even after TP and SS still appears left handed on Smash Brawl, Smash 4, Wind Waker HD and everything else.

I don't know who this character for this new WiiU Zelda game is but that ain't Link. No doubt about it.

Spinluck

Please be Zelda please be Zelda please be Zelda

But, a female version of Link is more probable. I don't think Skyward Sword specifically established that all reincarnations of Link have to be male.

I think I want it to be Zelda.

Even if it would be a princess warrior coming of age story that is better than Brave.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Except Twilight Princess Wii was a mirror image of Gamecube version thus the bow really was held in the right hand.

And then in Skyward Sword Link is right handed yet holds it in his right hand anyway.

Basically, if they changed handedness within the same character, something like this does not strike me as particularly odd.

mrkgoo

The handedness thing is what gets me. Even in SS where they flipped it for the motion controls Link uses the bow lefthanded. It's been this little detail for the entire series that he's lefthanded. It's clearly not an oversite for the trailer. So either they just didn't care this time and said whatever which I think is really unlikely or it is a different character. I just don't want to spend who knows how long endlessly speculating and thinking it's something different and have it turn out not to be.

So far I think I'm on Team Female but at the same time if they would make a change like that it's strange they wouldn't be more obvious about it. Then again it really looks like a girl to me.

In summary: TELL US SOONER so I don't get my hopes up.

When you say SS he uses it "left handed", do you mean he uses it like a left handed person (and thus in his right)?

In SS, he uses it in his right hand fro the same reason his sword is in his right hand - for the motion controls. Yes I'm aware, typically right-handed peoplewould use a bow in their left hadn, but in the game, the wii remote was used for the sword AND the bow.

When aiming the bow, you could hold it up vertically like a bow to aim, and pull back on the nun-chuk while holding C to quick charge, and release C to fire.

Thus, to simulate that in game and match your motino input, bow was in the right hand.

One thing for sure is that our character has a pretty off expression when it shoots the arrow. Almost cartoony plus goofy.

No

If someone takes a photo of you / slow-mo video of you while exerting yourself you may be pulling a weird expression, in motion it looks fine

Kuro

This "Link" has the same eye color as at least 3 Zeldas. Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors, and OoT. Slightly greener than Skyward Sword Zelda.

Kuro

And then in Skyward Sword Link is right handed yet holds it in his right hand anyway.

Basically, if they changed handedness within the same character, something like this does not strike me as particularly odd.

...because of motion controls they had to make him use the sword in the right hand but not for the bow.

Mory Dunz

I got it.

- It's Link's dad or grandpa.
- It's a flashback
- he was escaping something bad for a better like
- It's one of those Bardock Goku things where the son looks a bit too much like the father.

Boom.

Heroman

Banned
Why not?

I mean, stuff is changing all the time, I don't see why there should always be such things fixed as " Link's tunic in reveal trailers."

There are probably better and more important things to care about.

Because character are everything to Nintendo . If it was link he would have had his tunic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No one else noticed that this character is clearly right handed? Unless this game is controlled with a Wiimote and Nunchuk (I doubt it, they'll stick to Gamepad instead) this person ain't Link.

Yes there's the TP and SS precedence of Link being right handed but those are the exceptions and only because of the Wiimote. Link even after TP and SS still appears left handed on Smash Brawl, Smash 4, Wind Waker HD and everything else.

I don't know who this character for this new WiiU Zelda game is but that ain't Link. No doubt about it.
Last page man :p

mrkgoo

Because character are everything to Nintendo . If it was link he would have had his tunic.

It's a reveal trailer.

I don't think it's necessary to do anything.

IF anything, it's necessary to show they're changing and doing things differently.

I'm not saying this is or isn't; link, male or female, but I just don't think they HAVE to stick to any conventions at all. They can do whatever they want.

-Kees-

When you say SS he uses it "left handed", do you mean he uses it like a left handed person (and thus in his right)?

In SS, he uses it in his right hand fro the same reason his sword is in his right hand - for the motion controls. Yes I'm aware, typically right-handed peoplewould use a bow in their left hadn, but in the game, the wii remote was used for the sword AND the bow.

When aiming the bow, you could hold it up vertically like a bow to aim, and pull back on the nun-chuk while holding C to quick charge, and release C to fire.

Thus, to simulate that in game and match your motino input, bow was in the right hand.

I double checked. In TP they just mirrored the whole game so he uses the sword right-handed and holds the bow in his left hand and draws the string with his right. Right eye dominant. In SS he holds the bow in his right hand pulls with his left. Left eye dominant.

GAF: hip measurements and boob physics. As progressive as ever!

Those are marked physical morphological differences between the human sexes. Regardless of gender identity, biological females generally have wider hips and... well, you know the case with breasts. Without behavior information or even hardly so much as a voice clip, this is the only way to go about hypothesizing the sex of this character.

I feel like Aonuma is sitting back and laughing as he hears about speculation like what we're doing here.

"Frame by frame analysis searching for jiggle physics? Ha! If it's indeed in there, find the programmers and animators responsible and fire them!"

Nintendo's never done jiggle physics for an internally developed game to my knowledge.

But seriously, the wider hips, seemingly A- or B-cup-sized breasts, unusually long hair, and Aonuma's remark sparking all of this have led me to believe that this character is indeed female.

#teamfemale... or maybe #teamf for brevity?

This better not be a WW sequel... :|

"Phantom Hourglass" already came out, and Spirit Tracks was it's sequel.
Any game set in the WW(Adult)timeline would be a Spirit Tracks successor set in "New Hyrule".
:p
They can wipe the slate clean in terms of story and setting thanks to New Hyrule's relative newness.

mrkgoo

I double checked. In TP they just mirrored the whole game so he uses the sword right-handed and holds the bow in his left hand and draws the string with his right. Right eye dominant. In SS he holds the bow in his right hand pulls with his left. Left eye dominant.

YES, because of motion controls with the bow! TP doesn't use the motion controls, just the pointer, and as you say, the whole thing was mirrored for "ease" in development.

In SS, when they built the game for motion control ground-up, the bow is in the right hand to mimic the bow in the player's right hand. In SS, you can hold the wii remote vertically, and pull back on the nunchuk and release C to fire.

Tamanator

Pre-Flood Hyrule?

Maybe this "Link" is there because the real Link is a no show?

OoT --> WiiU Zelda --> TWW

The technology shown, i.e the laser blasts are clearly akin to the technology depicted in Skyward Sword. So I'd venture a guess that it is a direct sequel to Skyward Sword, depicting Link's ancestors settling Hyrule.

Heroman

Banned
It's a reveal trailer.

I don't think it's necessary to do anything.

IF anything, it's necessary to show they're changing and doing things differently.

I'm not saying this is or isn't; link, male or female, but I just don't think they HAVE to stick to any conventions at all. They can do whatever they want.

We are in the same boat. There doing this to show it is a new era in the zelda series. Im just saying this is not link.

"Phantom Hourglass" already came out, and Spirit Tracks was it's sequel.
Any game set in the WW(Adult)timeline would be a Spirit Tracks successor set in "New Hyrule".
:p
They can wipe the slate clean in terms of story and setting thanks to New Hyrule's relative newness.
Though the volcano and seeming Hyrule town, castle, or city have me convinced that this is indeed Hyrule prior to the flood, or at leas the same area geographically, with Death Mountain playing the part of the volcano.

I got it.

- It's Link's dad or grandpa.
- It's a flashback
- he was escaping something bad for a better like
- It's one of those Bardock Goku things where the son looks a bit too much like the father.

Boom.

For a better Like Like?
Will this game feature a forbidden romance between Link and a Like Like?

mrkgoo

Yeah that's what I mean.

yeah, kind of misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were meaning they didn't change the bow due to motion controls, as in the bow was unrelated to motion controls. But all of this stuff can be read in multiple ways.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized and I don't know if it's been talked about already. But that is not Epona. Epona has white hair, that horse has black hair.

mrkgoo

We are in the same boat. There doing this to show it is a new era in the zelda series. Im just saying this is not link.

I'm not saying either way. Could be link, might not be. He could be just teasing us or maybe he's actually dropping a hint.

I just don't think the colour of his tunic gives ANY clue as regards to that.

Eusis

Would be a kinda depressing game. You'd go on this great journey to save all of Hyrule, fail and watch as the world is flooded.
Or they'll convolute the timeline yet again. NEW HERO SUCCEEDS = GUYS WE GOT A FOURTH TIMELINE!

Although, it might be interesting if they ran with failing... then traveling back in time and fixing things after seeing how they'd go wrong. Cliche, but I'm not playing Zelda for profound narratives anyway.

mrkgoo

It's happening.

6J5BNoo.gif

The gender discussion has been ongoing about the character shown for a little bit now, and all the theories are interesting.

To hear it from the man himself though, holy fuck.

You heard nothing!

"We didn't explicitly say that was Link."

What if tomorrow he says,

"We didn't explicitly say that was NOT Link."

?

Yokai

Link will be a custom character in this new Zelda. That is all he means by this.

Character creation is something they've needed to embrace for a while.

Dead

well not really...yet
The idea of a Zelda game without Link as a protagonist, potentially a female, sounds like an awesome idea to me. I want this to be true, lol

Prototype

Nothing in Aonuma's statement has anything to do with gender. Y'ALL are delusional. It's like everyone instantly forgot that many Japanese male characters look feminine. It's not like we're breaking new ground here.

Most likely it's just a descendant of Link. Or there is going to be some level of customizablility for his appearance because they player character is unique to each player. Possibly some multiplayer component as well.

Top Bottom