• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

-Kees-

YES, because of motion controls with the bow! TP doesn't use the motion controls, just the pointer, and as you say, the whole thing was mirrored for "ease" in development.

In SS, when they built the game for motion control ground-up, the bow is in the right hand to mimic the bow in the player's right hand. In SS, you can hold the wii remote vertically, and pull back on the nunchuk and release C to fire.

To be perfectly honest I haven't actually played SS yet so I had look up the controls and hold a Wii controller to see what you mean. The remote has to point at the screen so you mimic using a bow as if you're left handed. I get what you're saying now, but I still stick by the Wii games being the exception not the new rule.

co1onel

Or they'll convolute the timeline yet again. NEW HERO SUCCEEDS = GUYS WE GOT A FOURTH TIMELINE!

Although, it might be interesting if they ran with failing... then traveling back in time and fixing things after seeing how they'd go wrong. Cliche, but I'm not playing Zelda for profound narratives anyway.

Oh god, this would open more than one more timeline. I hope there's no more time traveling.

Joey Ravn

Banned
You can always rename "Link" to whatever you want in Zelda games. So BUTT confirmed.

Unless, of course, BUTT is your rival in Pokémon ORAS.

Not

Banned
Qx9chJS.jpg

Female confirmed.

That looks really convincing. Thats probably how long her hair would be without the ponytail too

mrkgoo

To be perfectly honest I haven't actually played SS yet so I had look up the controls and hold a Wii controller to see what you mean. The remote has to point at the screen so you mimic using a bow as if you're left handed. I get what you're saying now, but I still stick by the Wii games being the exception not the new rule.

No, the remote doesn't have to point at the screen. IT doesn't use the pointer, just the gyro controls. I think it used the pointer to calibrate, but not for the bow.

I remember playing using the "bow" and holding it vertically, and pulling back with the nun chuck by holding, pulling back and releasing).

leroidys

My guess is that, a la skyrim, its the player character, which is customizable. Equipment is also customizable, which would be why this particular player wields a bow in battle as their primary weapon.

Not

Banned
Nothing in Aonuma's statement has anything to do with gender. Y'ALL are delusional. It's like everyone instantly forgot that many Japanese male characters look feminine. It's not like we're breaking new ground here.

Most likely it's just a descendant of Link. Or there is going to be some level of customizablility for his appearance because they player character is unique to each player. Possibly some multiplayer component as well.

This is a Zelda game. A descendant of Link who looks like Link is still Link

mantidor

This is a Zelda game. A descendant of Link who looks like Link is still Link

Customization is also a part (albeit minor) of Zelda games. You choose your name and appearance when choosing tunics.

I don't think it's customization, even if this character was customizable it would still be Link.

-Kees-

No, the remote doesn't have to point at the screen. IT doesn't use the pointer, just the gyro controls. I think it used the pointer to calibrate, but not for the bow.

I remember playing using the "bow" and holding it vertically, and pulling back with the nun chuck by holding, pulling back and releasing).

I think we're saying the same thing. The nunchuk is in the left hand mimicking drawing back the string with the left hand.

mrkgoo

I think we're saying the same thing. The nunchuk is in the left hand mimicking drawing back the string with the left hand.

Probably. I was just saying all this handedness stuff means nothing in regards to who that character in the reveal is. Link or otherwise.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just a bit of input. As far as I'm concerned (with my grasp of the Zeldaverse), "Link" is just a name. The legend itself is nothing more than a moniker. It's completely with the realm of the Zeldaverse that Link can be female. Also, it would be pretty cool.

The Legend of Link.

...Either way, I dig the character design. Whether you think the features are feminine or not, they've toned down the Peter Pan man-boy look, which IMO is a great thing. This person looks in their early 20s...young, but definitely adult and serious.

zeldablue

Old quote:

"Rather, the more we change it, the more I get fired up. Having someone think 'Huh? Is this Zelda?!' at first, then 'Oh, it is Zelda,' is what we're going for. Something that wouldn't make it matter whether Link or Princess Zelda appear in it or not. Something where it wouldn't even matter if Zelda is actually a princess, or not."

Link and Zelda might not appear. Zelda might not be a princess.

Sound like this character might be Zelda or someone new. Eiji Aonuma isn't trolling, he's always hinting at the "twist."

Just because Link is a little bit androgynous doesn't mean the character is a girl.

But that would be really neat. I've always wanted to play as a female character in the Legend of Zelda.

Ugh, seriously I hope he's just trolling. Please don't be Zelda... I want my HD experience to be Link and his green tunic.

Hyrule Warriors, then?

Only official Zelda game I know of where less than 30 seconds separates the Great Fairy's great dairies and the Majora's Mask moon smacking a dragon out of the sky.

Not

Banned
Old quote:

"Rather, the more we change it, the more I get fired up. Having someone think 'Huh? Is this Zelda?!' at first, then 'Oh, it is Zelda,' is what we're going for. Something that wouldn't make it matter whether Link or Princess Zelda appear in it or not. Something where it wouldn't even matter if Zelda is actually a princess, or not."

I love that quote. I thought it only applied to SS Zelda or something but holy shit if that means we're getting female Links in blue-gray riding hoods

Kaljinyu

Old quote:

Link and Zelda might not appear. Zelda might not be a princess.

Sound like this character might be Zelda or someone new. Eiji Aonuma isn't trolling, he's always hinting at the "twist."

Zelda wasn't so much a princess in Skyward Sword, but the basics were all still there. Link, Zelda, and the bad guy. That's all I want to not change. Hardworking oversleeping young man who eventually becomes a hero, stately young woman at the center of it all, and bad guy.

So here's an updated list of why this is not Link:

- That's not Epona
- Character uses the bow as a right handed person
- No green tunic (meh)
- Aonuma being shifty
- Propensity for arrows vs. sword

Why the character might be a girl:

-Looks like a girl

Why the character is Link:

- It looks like Link
- It's a Zelda game

What am I missing?

Eusis

Zelda wasn't so much a princess in Skyward Sword, but the basics were all still there. Link, Zelda, and the bad guy. That's all I want to not change. Hardworking oversleeping young man who eventually becomes a hero, stately young woman at the center of it all, and bad guy.
Screw this. Link's Awakening didn't make Marin important in the same way as Zelda and there wasn't really that sort of female figure in Majora's Mask, and they were two of the more memorable entries in the series. The real allure has always been adventuring a fantasy world to me, dogmatically following such archetypes is what is actually bringing down Zelda stories in my eyes.

Paracelsus

They should just make a RE0 kind of thing, where the two cooperate to overcome dungeons and depending on the type of enemy one takes over the other to defeat bosses.

Shinta

Banned
So here's an updated list of why this is not Link:

- That's not Epona
- Character uses the bow as a right handed person
- No green tunic (meh)
- Aonuma being shifty
- Propensity for arrows vs. sword

Why the character might be a girl:

-Looks like a girl

Why the character is Link:

- It looks like Link
- It's a Zelda game

What am I missing?

A very prominent exploding "light arrow," Zelda's signature weapon since the first game on NES.

Lynd7

On a side-note about the possibility of a female lead in Zelda. Do any of you think that making a female character with almost zero characterisation and also a mute would be the ideal way to introduce a female Nintendo main?

Of course thats the way Zelda has always been, but I could see people arguing that its bad.

kunonabi

On a side-note about the possibility of a female lead in Zelda. Do any of you think that making a female character with almost zero characterisation and also a mute would be the ideal way to introduce a female Nintendo main?

Of course thats the way Zelda has always been, but I could see people arguing that its bad.

worked for Samus.

Myriadis

It's not Link, it's a created character for Zelda U which is an online game.
Didn't Aonuma actually say back somewhere that the new Zelda has a focus on Multiplayer?

It looks like a slightly younger Link than what we've seen recently. a 13-15 year old version, rather than the 8-10 and 17-20 year old Links from the other 3D Zelda's.

Shinta

Banned
Wonder how the sea sank again and horses reappeared...or am I forgetting major plot points of Wind Waker?

As others have said, could also work as a sequel to adult timeline OoT, but before WW. Zelda trying to hold shit down while the hero of time never appears, before the rise of the ocean.

sphagnum

Banned
If they're going for co-op, it would be cool if it's Aryll.

If they're going for single player, it would make sense if it's Link and Zelda's descendant so she could be both the princess (since the Light Force passes down the female side of the royal family, IIRC) and the hero (inheriting the Spirit from her predecessor).

Top Bottom