• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicles is target of critiscism due to western localization

daxgame

yikes.
3ca.png

Last edited:

ssringo

the inclusion of the term 'CHUD',
The rest didn't seem too bothersome but this was plenty enough for me. The translator is 100% a Ree user. Not touching this game ever.

Wait, "chud" is a political term now? What side are the cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers on?
It's Ree's favorite insult to sling at wrong thinkers and has been for a while now.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Why are so many localisers these DEI types. Just 1:1
You do not want 1:1, what you want is a good faith localization. There are certain things that just flat out do not translate well across different languages, due to not being familiar with the nuances of the respective cultures. So you adjust as needed, but must take care not to change the author’s intent, i.e. if a joke is being told that relies on in-depth knowledge of Japanese culture, the joke will not work for outsiders, and now the character is effectively different in that moment, meaning the 1:1 translation did not accomplish the author’s intent.

The real issue comes from when you change character personalities, shove in your personal politics, or use modern slang/idioms that don’t fit the setting. It is entirely valid to be irritated by this. But I sincerely believe pushing for 1:1 translations will make things worse in a different way.

Case in point, take Final Fantasy XIV. One of the expansion packs officially localized as “Shadowbringers”, which sounds way better than a 1:1 literal translation “Jet-Black Villains”. This extends to other stuff as well, like the dungeon content named “Pharos Sirius” which takes place in a lighthouse controlled by a siren. Translate it 1:1 from Japanese and you get “Phantom Bird Tower Sirius Great Lighthouse”. Pharos means lighthouse in ancient greek, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria is sometimes referred to as the Pharos of Alexandria. The FFXIV dungeon exterior clearly takes inspiration from said lighthouse. This is a good faith localization that is far better than what would have been a boring, literal 1:1 port.

Last edited:

Pejo

All of this is actually making me really depressed lately.

Even though this "Localizers taking a shit on the writers work" routine, is only touching games I'm not interested in playing to begin with.
Is still a major issue for me, and should be to everyone.

Because it's a disrespect on the work of artists, and straight up cutting off shit from their work to fit "western sensibilities" (Localizers view od it). It's as anti-art as it gets. Not to mention borderline racist.

I worry when a game comes that I actually want to play, and I localizers do their thing on it...

I only care about what the original writer put on paper, and in the game...
I don't care if it sounds sexist to westerners, if it doesn't sound as "lol so hip memes lmao chud". Give me what they wrote, in a language I understand, which is English or Portuguese.
It's like if you find the most mentally ill person on the street and handed them a bunch of pens and sent them into an art exhibit. That's what this is akin to. I generally never wish losing jobs on anybody but I can't wait until localizers (and games journalists but that's not related) are out of jobs forever. Absolute narcissistic scum thinking that they can improve the work of the creators with their memes and pronoun bullshit.

LordCBH

Why can’t they just translate it straight and then clean it up so it makes sense to read/listen to? What’s with this obsession with completely changing the way characters speak or completely changing what they say? Stop trying to get creative, that’s not your job.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why can’t they just translate it straight and then clean it up so it makes sense to read/listen to? What’s with this obsession with completely changing the way characters speak or completely changing what they say? Stop trying to get creative, that’s not your job.
Translation of entertainment can be a grey area requiring some creativity. Sometimes you have jokes or puns that literally can't work when translated so they have to actually write original content to fit the tone from the original, such as an original joke. This is even more likely if they're trying to take voice acting into account and make it sound natural. But some people clearly take the liberties way too far at times.

Last edited:

Porcile

Reading the Japanese it has the same problem as something like Unicorn Overlord. The original writing in Japanese is bog-standard and generic.The localisers probably aren't challenged enough by the content so they try to jazz it up out of boredom I imagine. I'm not even particularly good at Japanese but I could do a direct translatiom of some of this stuff without much thought or effort at all.

Paltheos

Mixed feelings.

The images in the top-left are exactly what I want out of a localization, something that spruces up the minutiae of an individual scene without changing the spirit and context of the script. The localization reads much better than the 1-to-1 translation posted adjacent.

The images on the top-right however... are a mistake. Whether you read it as a jab at identity politics made by a tired translator on his x thousandth line or a deliberate rewrite, neither belongs and should have been pulled during an editing pass. The original lines have nothing to do with gender whatsoever, and altering them as such is inappropriate.

Bottom image is... fine. Working Designs-style rewrite, I assume (a direct TL was not posted). If sassy irreverence is the point of the line, the language used isn't that important. Reminds me of the 'bruh' line in Geofront's Trails to Azure fan translation too. I could see it falling susceptible to the passage of time more quickly than other slang and mannerisms, but its usage in the context for the time is acceptable.

tldr: Some overreactions from people here (unsurprising, for the GAF rage machine against TLs is always hungry), but some of it is justified.

ReyBrujo

If they were translator they had to stick to the letter (for example, when you translate a legal document). In the case of games it's not a direct translation but a localization, you translate it considering cultural references, differences in languages, general knowledge, etc. Sometimes that means you might need to change names of real locations (because maybe for an American audience saying you must go from Hokkaido to Kumamoto doesn't convey distance as well as saying Dallas to Seattle even though if both take about the same travel time). Or to put another example, referencing the atomic bombing for a Japanese player might have a deeper effect than to an American player so a localization team might change that to the 9/11 attacks just to convey stronger feelings.

Truth is, you must play the whole game to get a feeling of the translation, if everything makes sense or not as a whole. If you want the real experience sometimes it's not just enough knowing Japanese and playing it in Japanese because as a foreigner there might be subtle references (history, old series, or just general knowledge) that you might not catch. I kind of agree with Paltheos Paltheos in that some are overreacting and that this looks more like witch hunting and looking for excuses for backslashing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Unfortunately, that's completely normal in western localizations and all other languages get fucked because they have to take stupid english localizations, I hope for the day english localizers stop doing this, I really REALLY hate it, why they can't stop putting their stupid slangs and "smart phrases" into localizations? Why do they think everyone wants that? Can't they just provide a normal translation without weird changes (names, phrases, etc.) for other languages and then have their own localization without having to shit completely on the rest of the west?

What I hate the most is fucking name changes, WHY THEY KEEP DOING THIS?

In Xenoblade 2 it crossed so many red lines it literally completely changed dialogs in several situations.

Japanese games translations are always doomed as soon as an american localization gets in place. ALWAYS.

Kataploom

Gold Member
As a translator myself and someone fluent in both languages, let's take a look.
I just started playing the game but haven't taken notice of any oddities, since I don't read text for voiced games anymore, as I find it breaks immersion.
Let's look at the pictures though.

For the Lian dialogue...
1. The first one depends on the delivery. There are times where Japanese uses "mo" when it is
not necessary to translate as too as that can be conveyed by intonation in English.

2. Yeah, this is adding a bit. I guess they are trying to spruce things up since it's voice lines.

3. Translating that literally is bad, but the English writing is cringe for sure. I'm not sure the context of the scene exactly though.

4. Both translations are unnatural and the left is cringe. Maybe something like, "Hey. Did you see that?" would be more appropriate.

Verdict:
The English writing is bad and a bit too furry/zoomer for my tastes.

Nowa and Mio dialog

1. That's perfectly fine if it matches the context. You don't want to keep translating yatta as we did it because the frequency of yatta is way higher in Japanese than I/We did it! Though there might be a better phrase for the situation still not sure.

2. Ok. That's blatant. The Japanese isn't implying that what so every. "What the hell is this thing?" or "What the hell is this monstrosity?" if you want to include the "huge" element, but in English we often omit certain things like that when they are visibly obvious.

Verdict:
The "You sure it's a he?" is a very odd choice. Maybe a bad try at humor? I don't know, but they weren't going for any sory of accuracy that's for sure.

Milana dialog
Are they debugging it here somehow?
This one I have no idea the context as it's just a single word, but what the hell is a chud is this context? Certainly feels unnecessary.

So, yeah. From what I've seen so far. The writing looks pretty fanficy/amateur, but I know there's a lot of younger people who watch shows that have this kind of quirky dialogue, some players might actually like it. The non-voiced NPC dialogue seemed pretty straightforward from what I played, but I think for main voiced characters they probably took more liberty to make it more suited for dialogue perhaps. Glad I'm not playing in English though. Japanese has been pretty standard anime fair but the dialogue is concise with lots of little quips here and there which helps solidify the relationships (like something akin to the better Marvel movie intereactions).
You can just translate directly without modifying the sense of the phrase, I'll invent some cases (using my limited japanese) to show you how it feels to read a standard japanese translation:

Dialog: "Yoshi! Ike!"
Translations:
"Alright, let's go!" (Neutral aceptable translation)
"They won't know what hit them!" (Weird subtitle an american localizer can think is better for reasons)

Dialog: "Aaaa! Zettai ya da yo!"
"Uh?! Definitely not!" (Neutral aceptable translation)
"Wait wait waaaaaait, [another_character_name] tell me it's not real!" (Weird subtitle an american localizer can think is more funny hahaha and better for reasons)

Dialog: "Aibo, kore wa saigo no tatakai!"
"Comrad, this is will be our last fight!" (Neutral aceptable translation)
"Watch your steps, our destiny is in your hands! We trust you!"
(Weird subtitle an american localizer can think is better for reasons)

I wouldn't mind if that virus didn't leak into spanish localizations but we have to deal with whatever the original english translator thought was funny and goofy because anime is funny and goofy hahaha it's just cartoons and whatever.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Frustrated writers that couldn't even find a way in Wattpad, probably

Last edited:

Barakov

"Refinement"?
Will be interesting to see what they changed. Unless they just fixed some punctuation and such.

I'm hoping they fix the localization issues but that just comes off as they're just fixing bugs. Think I just might bite the bullet and play it in Japanese.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The translation is amateur level. For example

Japanese = I'm sorry
English = LOL why is your face like that?

They changed the tone of a conversation from one of an apology to making fun of the main character.
Man, now I’m wondering how much retarded infantile JRPG dialog was the fault of the original writers, and how much was due to some localized who’s nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

Shouta

tldr: Some overreactions from people here (unsurprising, for the GAF rage machine against TLs is always hungry), but some of it is justified.

Pretty much. The only line I saw get brought up that's a problem to me is the "You sure it's a he?" one which is a really stupid one that can piss off everyone if you look at it a little funny. Some of the other screenshots I saw get brought up elsewhere were definitely mostly on point with the complaints stemming from their personal interpretation being different rather than it actually being incorrect.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What a shitshow. Imo it's fine to localise a little bit to try and make stuff fit better the setting. For example, I don't mind Unicorn Overlord's translation since the shakespearean style fits the medieval setting, and aside from that I think they didn't change much else.

Making stuff up or injecting political shit like "uuuh you sure that's their gender?" is a total disrespect to the original writters.

All this shit reminds of this gem of a fan translation:

tales-of-phantasia-arche-tiger-dejap-009.png

Last edited:

Killer8

"Refinement"?
Will be interesting to see what they changed. Unless they just fixed some punctuation and such.

Curious to see what the changes end up being. I wonder how the directive to fix the localization was doled out to the activists translators - did 505 see the shitstorm that was brewing over how unfaithful it is and decide to issue a fix to save face? Even more curious will be whether unfaithful translators will continue to get work, as it's becoming a trend.

I have a feeling that in this DEI saturated world they will, but it surely costs money to clean up after them now that more people are making noise about it. The best outcome is for the work to simply dry up and for these people to be out on the streets.

NeoLed

You reward them just by downloading it
Reward who? Do you know how many hands made this game?

Should we boycott and punish artist/developer because a translator, a small part of the game took some liberties? That sound like an extremist.
We should be able to play/enjoy the game and then complaining about the bad translations at the same time.

This is an issue with most games these days. I hated the localization of DQ 11 as well as FF7 remake. They just completely change what is being said or add their own shit for no apparent reason. But what can you do.
We need to complain more and buy less. I've done my part, but I am only one man.

Lol @ the first image comparing the localization with whatever google translate blurts out and complaining about the differences. Especially without seeing the rest of the lines/dialogue around each of those. That's not how shit works, no book or game has even been translated word to word bozo.

Why the fuck do you care it doesn't say "too" in that lens line, maybe it's implied they're not the only one with it in the next or previous line so there's no need to repeat, same for the glint shit, why does it matter how they convey the same thing, that something was briefly glimpsed by one character?

2012 interview segment, possibly referring to even older practices/games, to prove a 2024 game is newly woke without even showing an example of it in the previous images so for all you know even with that line of thought they had nothing to really alter for this particular game's characters, lol gg.

Even if it's later proven that there are such big changes, the bozos are still bozos for frothing without any proof whatsoever rather than vindicated in retrospect for their asinine assumptions and knee jerk reactions, they're not proven prophets that should be worshipped for knowing all before all, lol.

Some of the greatest localizations are super different to the originals, or did people think Vagrant Story's people spoke ye olde English in the Japanese game? And how do people think a western game with flowery language like that would be localized for Japan, it'd be totally different as well, duh.
If you don't want to push back on this, that's fine. But other people are willing to, if it can stop or slow down this shit. Otherwise? Let's go back to when games barely had any kind of dialogue at all, minus quick explanations of gameplay, during transitional screens. I'd rather go back to that, than read mother fuckers slactisvism.

I really don't want to read these peoples thoughts. I just want them to translate what the Developers are trying to Honestly Convey!
Is there something wrong with that?!!?
I certainly do not think so.

Last edited:

NeoLed

Is this part far in the story. Maybe I should fire up the game to see it tonight?

From what I see just by that picture, even the JP side didn't show her sincerily apologizing. She is laughing at both language, so maybe the context is they're playing around and she somehow make the MC's face get messed up.

Not having the full banter make it hard to fully convince me there are a big liberties or discrepancy of meaning here

Last edited:

Madonis

Is this part far in the story. Maybe I should fire up the game to see it tonight?

From what I see just by that picture, even the JP side didn't show her sincerity apologizing. She is laughing at both language, so maybe the context is they're playing around and she somehow make the MC's face get messed up.

Not having the full banter make it hard to fully convince me there are a big liberties or discrepancy of meaning here

That's an interesting interpretation. Context is very important and, to say the least, isolated screenshots will rarely give you that.

It doesn't mean the specific translation choices cannot be criticized at all, but this idea that any deviation from the literal translation of the original text is forbidden...come on, folks.

Last edited:

Gallard

I doubled-majored in CS and Japanese, and most of the localization looks fine to me.

Japanese is highly contextual. You have to adapt some things because there is often no direct equivalent. My teacher used to make it a weekly class exercise where we'd be given some Japanese text to translate, and then the next day, she'd go over our answers. 1 Japanese text translated by 20 students = 20 different translations - and the teacher deemed most of them valid.

To highlight some interesting differences between the languages:
  • Anywhere you've seen a translator use cuss words like "fuck you", "asshole", or "bitch" was the translator adding their own flair, since Japanese curse words are just more impolite forms of the word "you" (kimi, omae, temei, kisama).
  • Some words seem like they have a direct translation, (breakfast = "asagohan"). But from a Japanese perspective, asagohan has a strong connotation with a specific type of breakfast (rice, fish, miso soup). You wouldn't call cereal and milk "asagohan".
  • Relationships are codified in how Japanese refer to each other. For example, if you had a big brother, you referred to him as "onii-chan" (big brother). Anyone observing you two talk would understand that you two were siblings. It's not common to call your sibling "big brother" in English, you would more often call them by name (like "Mike"). In English, you could say someone is your brother and not specify if they were older or younger. In Japanese, you would call them "onii-chan" (big brother) or "otouto" (little brother) - the non-specific "kyoudai" is less commonly used.
So looking at these pictures, most of them seem immaterial and are likely justifiable and sensible within the dialogue.

GOOD - You've got a lens, Nowa? (fine)
GOOD - There, did you see the glint? (fine)
GOOD - Got him! (fine)

MAYBE - "Well, ladies and gentlemen, so do I"
MAYBE - "Rub-a-dub-dub, don't be a flub"
The above two lines may be justifiable in the context of giving Lian more character. For example, how would you adapt a Kansai or Osakan dialect? Often translators make them sound southern.

BAD - "Chud"
BAD - "You sure it's a he?"
The above two lines are absolutely inexcusable, however. And that's where my benefit of the doubt ends.
Game is going on my shit list.

Setzer

Cancelled my pre-order when I saw this the other day. I'll wait to buy it when there's a fan translation available.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As a translator myself and someone fluent in both languages, let's take a look.
I just started playing the game but haven't taken notice of any oddities, since I don't read text for voiced games anymore, as I find it breaks immersion.
Let's look at the pictures though.

For the Lian dialogue...
1. The first one depends on the delivery. There are times where Japanese uses "mo" when it is
not necessary to translate as too as that can be conveyed by intonation in English.

2. Yeah, this is adding a bit. I guess they are trying to spruce things up since it's voice lines.

3. Translating that literally is bad, but the English writing is cringe for sure. I'm not sure the context of the scene exactly though.

4. Both translations are unnatural and the left is cringe. Maybe something like, "Hey. Did you see that?" would be more appropriate.

Verdict:
The English writing is bad and a bit too furry/zoomer for my tastes.

Nowa and Mio dialog

1. That's perfectly fine if it matches the context. You don't want to keep translating yatta as we did it because the frequency of yatta is way higher in Japanese than I/We did it! Though there might be a better phrase for the situation still not sure.

2. Ok. That's blatant. The Japanese isn't implying that what so every. "What the hell is this thing?" or "What the hell is this monstrosity?" if you want to include the "huge" element, but in English we often omit certain things like that when they are visibly obvious.

Verdict:
The "You sure it's a he?" is a very odd choice. Maybe a bad try at humor? I don't know, but they weren't going for any sory of accuracy that's for sure.

Milana dialog
Are they debugging it here somehow?
This one I have no idea the context as it's just a single word, but what the hell is a chud is this context? Certainly feels unnecessary.

So, yeah. From what I've seen so far. The writing looks pretty fanficy/amateur, but I know there's a lot of younger people who watch shows that have this kind of quirky dialogue, some players might actually like it. The non-voiced NPC dialogue seemed pretty straightforward from what I played, but I think for main voiced characters they probably took more liberty to make it more suited for dialogue perhaps. Glad I'm not playing in English though. Japanese has been pretty standard anime fair but the dialogue is concise with lots of little quips here and there which helps solidify the relationships (like something akin to the better Marvel movie intereactions).
Yeah, translating is hard and often requires quite a lot of creativity in the localised version to make sure the context and the spirit of the text is delivered. In some cases you need to rewrite it to find something in the target language and culture (you may translate some material differently between UK and American English for example or between English and Italian) because there is no direct match between the two languages (how the heck do you do a simple direct translation of Month Python’s Cheese Shop sketch without a tad bit of creative writing on the translator’s end? This is not the worst scenario either).
Problem is that not all translators are good writers.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Man, now I’m wondering how much retarded infantile JRPG dialog was the fault of the original writers, and how much was due to some localized who’s nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.
Almost always Japanese dialogs are very straight forward, they just say what they want to say directly. If you see slangs, "clever one liners", etc, bet your ass it's the localization team thinking they know better than actual game creators and the actual audience

Pallas

I love the Ace Attorney serious but good lord, it was kind of awkward playing it sometimes when the game is very obviously set in Japan yet it’s not in the localized version? 💀

Also, translation sucks but I’m still playing it. As a backer, I’ve been pretty hyped for this game for a looooong time and so far it hasn’t disappointed. Also Suikoden players will know how awful translations were back in the day with those games, minus the political identity nonsense. Won’t let it ruin my enjoyment.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I mean it can cut both ways. The Japanese can be completely dry and boring and the translation can have more character or the Japanese can have lots of character, but the translation is dry and boring. A lot of old school RPGs had to contend with technical limitations as well. If it's goofy non-Japanese cultural references, that's almost always gonna be the translation company.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean it can cut both ways. The Japanese can be completely dry and boring and the translation can have more character or the Japanese can have lots of character, but the translation is dry and boring. A lot of old school RPGs had to contend with technical limitations as well. If it's goofy non-Japanese cultural references, that's almost always gonna be the translation company.

A8CA0C02B22F9CDB4257FECAB0916DECD00A687C

I’m just wondering to myself, how much would I hate this insufferable bunch of douchebags if I understood and played in Japanese? Would it be 80% as much as I do having played in English?

I’m sure I will ponder this frequently whenever I’m sitting on the can.

Top Bottom