• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Syntsui

Luffy is not a professional choker, Chris won't be able to pull this off.
Edit: Will I ever make a correct prediction in this game? Damn

His plan is still to put opponents in 50/50 situations. That's the entire focus of a grappler. Surely you're not saying you think Mika is a stronger character than Zangief, when pretty much all of the top players are saying otherwise.

I personally think they're pretty close, but I think Gief has more bad match ups than Mika for sure. The only top level player that I've seen rate Gief very high is Nemo back at the beginning of S2.

I don't understand. This is what Zangief does. You get HP SPD'd and it's guessing time. Guess wrong, and it's gonna be guessing time again after the KD. "Eat some damage" is a ridiculous understatement. Why do you think so many people put Gief in SFV's top 10 characters?

Not necessarily. If he goes for a Lariat combo he gives up his pressure unless you're already in the corner. He needs another HP/EX SPD in order to continue his pressure. He has no whiff punish/combo that allows him to keep you in a blender.

FluxWaveZ

I personally think they're pretty close, but I think Gief has more bad match ups than Mika for sure. The only top level player that I've seen rate Gief very high is Nemo back at the beginning of S2.

No, Zangief either has the same amount of bad MUs as Mika does, or less. Zangief wins against Mika. Laura wins against Mika, while it's at least 5 - 5 against her for Gief. There are no MUs that Mika wins outside of Alex and FANG. Balrogs will say that it's in Mika's favor, but everyone always forgets that Mika has the same amount of health as Ibuki, Guile or Juri.

And literally every pro player I've seen talk about their opinions on the cast have placed Zangief quite high, while either ignoring Mika or placing her mid-tier. I could probably find a dozen examples right now if I wanted to search for it.

Not necessarily. If he goes for a Lariat combo he gives up his pressure unless you're already in the corner. He needs another HP/EX SPD in order to continue his pressure. He has no whiff punish/combo that allows him to keep you in a blender.

But he still has the blender, is the point. He's a grappler; there's no arguing that the game plan revolves around 50/50s. If you're gonna expand the issue, you're ignoring that Mika is fragile, and that every time she misses a 50/50, she puts herself at a great risk to get demolished or she immediately loses her pressure because of a lack of plus buttons, which Zangief has. She lacks in the neutral, and contradicting what you said, Mika has no safe approach options. She doesn't have a V-Skill to cover a ground approach, either. She's a character centered around taking risks who is fragile while doing so.

Dahbomb

Urien has super under performed in S2 so far.

I mean yeah I know it's Ryan Hart but still... Urien hasn't accomplished much despite being so strong.

kirblar

Urien has super under performed in S2 so far.

I mean yeah I know it's Ryan Hart but still... Urien hasn't accomplished much despite being so strong.
As much fun as the Aegis Reflectors are, outside of those mixups (which don't necessarily lead to a ton of damage) he has to get a lot more hits than other characters do to kill you (a la Chun-Li.)
the Chun of S2, lol
damnit beaten to it.

No, Zangief either has the same amount of bad MUs as Mika does, or less. Zangief wins against Mika. Laura wins against Mika, while it's at least 5 - 5 against her for Gief. There are no MUs that Mika wins outside of Alex and FANG. Balrogs will say that it's 5 - 5, but everyone always forgets that Mika has the same amount of health as Ibuki, Guile or Juri.

Are you talking about just in general or when compared to Gief? While possibly not considered favorable for her, she certainly does better against Sim and Birdie than Gief does. Her mobility and EX Shooting Peach make a huge difference in those MUs and probably a lot others.

And literally every pro player I've seen talk about their opinions on the cast have placed Zangief quite high, while either ignoring Mika or placing her mid-tier. I could probably find a dozen examples right now if I wanted to search for it.

Ok.

But he still has the blender, is the point. He's a grappler; there's no arguing that the game plan revolves around 50/50s. If you're gonna expand the issue, you're ignoring that Mika is fragile, and that every time she misses a 50/50, she puts herself at a great risk to get demolished or she immediately loses her pressure because of a lack of plus buttons, which Zangief has. She lacks in the neutral, and contradicting what you said, Mika has no safe approach options. She doesn't have a V-Skill to cover a ground approach, either. She's a character centered around taking risks who is fragile while doing so.

His blender has fewer options than Mika's which makes a big difference when you're trying to make your opponent guess wrong when using these characters. He doesn't have tricky cross-under mix-ups like Mika/Laura does. Mika's mobility is very good as far as grapplers go, that helps with her approach. Her V-trigger can also help, she can even wake up with it and convert off of a possible trade. Her forward dash is good, her jump and cross-up is good, her tick throws are good.

I think both characters are very polarizing in terms of MUs. They either do very well against some characters or struggle quite a bit. Very little in between IMO.

Top Bottom