• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Volimar

I'm not really sure how long I'd be invested in this. I love playing Skyrim for just messing about and doing some exploration but I remember back in the day I dropped Battlecruiser 3000 pretty fast because of boredom setting in. I love the concept, but I'm not sure if I'd love the actual game. Spending 25 bucks seems like the safer option:)

That's fair, but I just gotta say that Horizons brings landings and the SRV (moon rover) is a lot of fun to just take out and joyride in.

Burny

Why is that? I'll get the PS4 version myself, but coming from the PC version it seems to be a downgrade regarding the control options (keyboard shortcuts, more advanced hotas...)

Depends on the way people play. Shitty PC in the corner of a small closet with squeaky little speakers vs. console connected to private living room cinema might be an upgrade. I've given up on playing the game in the living and (even though I'd love to for the sound system), due to having no comfortable option of installing the HOTAS and head tracking there. But if you just trade and don't insist on those things? Console should be just fine. What would absolutely put me off a console port, is the lack of transferrability between the accounts. I'm never going to start the grind from the beginning if I can avoid it.

Depends on the way people play. Shitty PC in the corner of a small closet with squeaky little speakers vs. console connected to private living room cinema might be an upgrade. I've given up on playing the game in the living and (even though I'd love to for the sound system), due to having no comfortable option of installing the HOTAS and head tracking there. But if you just trade and don't insist on those things? Console should be just fine. What would absolutely put me off a console port, is the lack of transferrability between the accounts. I'm never going to start the grind from the beginning if I can avoid it.

I think they've already confirmed that you can't transfer your saves from PC to PS4.

I don't suppose it's likely that there will be a way to listen to Radio Sidewinder on the PS4.

Shame. I really liked the sound of it. I'll just have to have it on my phone.

E-flux

I haven't been playing elite at all after the multicrew patch, but i have been sailing a bunch and yesterday when i was docking to the port i realized how similar a tiller feels to flying with AA off. Elite captures the feeling of sailing a lot better than any of the sailing simulators i have tried..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
E3 stream tomorrow...let's get hyped. Yeah.

Don’t expect too much. Obsidian Ant posted a video a few days ago where he and some others got to visit Frontier’s offices to see some upcoming content and stuff. Sounds like the only thing we’ll be seeing at E3 is a little bit of what 2.4 will bring us, but since 2.4 will be drawn out over a long time with gradual implementation they won’t be able to show very much of it. E3 won’t tell us anything about what comes after 2.4 or how the season model is changing, that info will be released “at a later date”, or to use Frontier’s standard catchphrase “no ETA’s, no guarantees”.

In other words, go in expecting very little and you won’t be too disappointed when it’s over. Maybe if we are lucky they’ll reconsider releasing a bit more info, the thread on the video hasn’t been as positive as I think Frontier wanted it to be. I think people are just tired of Frontier’s secrecy policy.

Keep your expectations low and you'll be less disappointed if it's shit and pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

EDIT:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to tell you about the two streams we have planned:

Monday 12 June - 7PM BST
Tuesday 13 June - 7PM BST

The streams will be narrative led and focus around an event that you can all be part of! It will tie in to what we're talking about to the press on the E3 show floor, and is particularly impactful for the future of the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

youtube.com/frontierdevelopments/live - join us in the chat, and in-game, tonight!

Ed

That's 2 PM EST/11AM PST

Volimar

From the announcement thread:

qEsagbF.jpg

Yeesh, we're just watching Ed and some community members play some kind of new lore-related gameplay OR RP'ing. No mention of new features or anything like that so far.

Mengy

Yeah Ed said that the news stuff comes tomorrow so we'll see then I guess.

According to Dale Emasiri from Frontier, tomorrow will just be another livestream, and it doesn't sound like much of any actual info on 2.4 will be presented:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6gsn3k/e3_livestream_schedule/

Dale Emasiri said:
This was a community stream, as is the next one, with an event surrounding it all. We tried to set this expectation clearly in the title and description of the stream, as well as communications around it. It's a focus on the event that will lead to more information being received surrounding the mysteries of the 'unknown ships' and a new way of delivering that event.
Had this been a stream of dropping future information and big features/changes/content updates, it would have been marked as such. The intention was to manage expectations along the lines of a special community stream, rather than a big update discussion/Q&A stream.
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed. On this point we can only aim to further improve how we set that expectation as to the contents of the streams in future.

This is fucking E3, not just another Tuesday livestream???? o_O

I guess Frontier just isn't ready to talk about any future content yet.

DrBo42

According to Dale Emasiri from Frontier, tomorrow will just be another livestream, and it doesn't sound like much of any actual info on 2.4 will be presented:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6gsn3k/e3_livestream_schedule/

This is fucking E3, not just another Tuesday livestream???? o_O

I guess Frontier just isn't ready to talk about any future content yet.
They've been bad at communication and meeting or correctly setting expectations through the game's lifespan. No one should be surprised. Haha. That reddit thread is hilarious. I can totally understand wanting to do something special for E3 but it's an event specifically to show or announce what's new... You're going to get crucified for your standard shite scan this satellite and meet the FD employee NPC events when they have an E3 live stream tag. They're already bad to begin with.

Nerix

The PS4 release is in two weeks, so E3 would have been indeed a good timing to present something new / generate some hype.

Is there any E3 related content scheduled from FD? If yes, when?

Mengy

So, am I missing something, or is this trailer plus the 2+ minute video of David Braben talking about aliens really all that Frontier has to show for E3? "Thargoids are coming", is that the big reveal? I mean, we've known that for over a year now, honestly. No actual information about 2.4 at all, except for the title of it, "2.4: The Return"?

Well, we now know the name of the update, I guess that's something.

I've not logged into Elite for over two weeks now, maybe it's time I stop checking the forums for news too...

Widge

I've not logged into Elite for over two weeks now, maybe it's time I stop checking the forums for news too...

I haven't played for months because the time/reward balance doesn't suit my lifestyle. I don't have the evenings to throw away jumping from one location to another, to save and then pick up a few weeks later for another session.

I really want to get into Elite, but I'm starting to think I need a game that is more immediate in the space sense.

Volimar

So, am I missing something, or is this trailer plus the 2+ minute video of David Braben talking about aliens really all that Frontier has to show for E3? "Thargoids are coming", is that the big reveal? I mean, we've known that for over a year now, honestly. No actual information about 2.4 at all, except for the title of it, "2.4: The Return"?

Well, we now know the name of the update, I guess that's something.

There's supposed to be more information released at lavecon and still some Thargoid related stuff happening before 2.4, but uhh....yeah.

Soooo...is E3 basically over for Elite? No more chance of surprises?

Yeah,

And so is my interest in keep playing this game.

FDev has no tangible vision and just seems to be making it up as they go along. I just can't bring myself to enjoy the incessant grind anymore. Plus, the community on the official forums is like the most toxic in gaming.

Top Bottom