• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

darkwing

This game is constantly pissing me off but i spent 40 quid on this and im determined to get my monies worth.

I have managed to earn about 40k doing boring data transfer quests but every fucking job i take is a few systems away and I cant read the galaxy map for shit. I can never plot a route because its too far or some shit. fucking game

what ship are you using and have you upgraded the Frame Shift Drive?

This game is constantly pissing me off but i spent 40 quid on this and im determined to get my monies worth.

I have managed to earn about 40k doing boring data transfer quests but every fucking job i take is a few systems away and I cant read the galaxy map for shit. I can never plot a route because its too far or some shit. fucking game

Did you do all the training missions and watch the tutorial vidoes (especially the one about the map) because it sounds like you're having issues with some basic stuff.

Hylian7

If you're only making 40k, you should probably look into something else. You're likely having trouble with some of the game's more basic mechanics.

First and foremost, what are you wanting to do? Once you answer that, you can figure out a goal of a ship and outfitting you want to go for. You probably saw this on the right panel, but there are ranks in 3 categories: Combat, Trade, and Exploration. There's also CQC/Arena at the bottom, but that's just the extra multiplayer arena thing outside the main game, so don't worry about that one. For all three categories, you have multiple options.

Combat - bounty hunting in Resource Extraction Sites, fighting in Conflict Zones, piracy sort of bridges the gap of combat and trade. Missions are always on the table too.

Trade - Trading commodities via the commodities market, smuggling (generally very profitable), and of course there are trading misisons.

Exploration - Just going out as far as you want and gathering exploration data to sell. There's also other options like getting passenger cabins and being a "Space Uber" if you will. There's some exploration missions available too.

There's a ton of different ships in the game, all suited for different purposes in general, and at different price levels. Many of these ships have multiple purposes, and are often determined by how you outfit them. You'll probably want out of your basic Sidewinder soon. There's a handful of ships that are under 1 million credits for their base cost. You'll likely want to upgrade soon, and then figure out what ship you want to go to from there.

From what I can see you are only targeting the planet that's why the circle keeps moving. Its always going to be targeting the very center of the planet.

If the base isn't on the planet surface map you are kind of screwed as you will need to go by coordinates (as far as i know there isn't currently a way of marking a point on a landable planet).

that makes sense this base is a pain to get to it never shows up unless I'm on top of it

arit

uPLjSV6.jpg

Yesterday's insight:
1. Red means 'no'.
2. 'NO ENTRY' upside down still reads no entry.
3. When in doubt, circle the thing once more (and respect the blue dot...).

Is there an easy way to see which is the correct orientation of the landing pads? Coming in perpendicular to them and spinning around is getting old.

Freeman76

If you're only making 40k, you should probably look into something else. You're likely having trouble with some of the game's more basic mechanics.

First and foremost, what are you wanting to do? Once you answer that, you can figure out a goal of a ship and outfitting you want to go for. You probably saw this on the right panel, but there are ranks in 3 categories: Combat, Trade, and Exploration. There's also CQC/Arena at the bottom, but that's just the extra multiplayer arena thing outside the main game, so don't worry about that one. For all three categories, you have multiple options.

Combat - bounty hunting in Resource Extraction Sites, fighting in Conflict Zones, piracy sort of bridges the gap of combat and trade. Missions are always on the table too.

Trade - Trading commodities via the commodities market, smuggling (generally very profitable), and of course there are trading misisons.

Exploration - Just going out as far as you want and gathering exploration data to sell. There's also other options like getting passenger cabins and being a "Space Uber" if you will. There's some exploration missions available too.

There's a ton of different ships in the game, all suited for different purposes in general, and at different price levels. Many of these ships have multiple purposes, and are often determined by how you outfit them. You'll probably want out of your basic Sidewinder soon. There's a handful of ships that are under 1 million credits for their base cost. You'll likely want to upgrade soon, and then figure out what ship you want to go to from there.

I think a mix of trade and exploration will suit me, combat once I get the controls figured more as I struggled with the combat tutorial.

Thanks for help guys

Sidon

- Upgrade your frame shift drive, so you can get the missions with longer distances.
- Upgrade to a hauler type ship (like an Adder, it's really cheap) after getting some credits (I had around 150k-200k) so you can get the higher paying missions hauling more cargo on longer distances.
- There seem to be 'tutorial' type missions that net you 15k each.

I got back into this game after a long time away (backed the game during one of the alphas and quit playing about a month or 2 after release) and man, it sure has changed.

Codiox

The more I play this game the more I love it.

Do we now anything about support from the devs after the last dlc from Horizons? I hope we get long long support for it with new updates/dlcs

I can't remember which one it was exactly, but I was trying to get a grade 4 multicannon. Can I just spam 1 and 2 stuff to get to grade 5 and just get that instead?

Yes, but with diminishing returns.
So to get from L4 to L5 takes:
3 level 4 mods
9 level 3 mods
27 level 2 mods
or 81 level 1 mods

I usually have enough random junk loot to upgrade using the current or previous levels, though I'm usually picking junk upgrades just for levelling. I did some serious grind to get the rare materials for FSD upgrades, and I think that is how I picked up a lot of low level materials for levelling.
Still haven't unlocked the laser guy though. I think he's the asshole that wants me to ship a 50t of tea halfway across the bubble, 8t at a time.
Unsurprisingly, I've always got something better to do.

Freeman76

- Upgrade your frame shift drive, so you can get the missions with longer distances.
- Upgrade to a hauler type ship (like an Adder, it's really cheap) after getting some credits (I had around 150k-200k) so you can get the higher paying missions hauling more cargo on longer distances.
- There seem to be 'tutorial' type missions that net you 15k each.

I got back into this game after a long time away (backed the game during one of the alphas and quit playing about a month or 2 after release) and man, it sure has changed.

I found 2 delivery missions that paid 150k each and did them, bought a cobra mk2 which seemed a decent upgrade. I want to try some of the surface stuff in the SRV is there anywhere I can get missions from or is it random?

Vorheez

The massacre missions take place in Conflict Zones. Usually they occur around planets, but only show up in your navigation tab within 1000 LS.

The zones involve 2 factions fighting, but may not include the faction you need to kill for the mission. In that case you'll have fly around the solar system looking for a conflict zone with the right factions.
Thank you! My friend was having difficult with this as well so I will pass it on.

I've been waiting to have a fail of my docking computer but this thing has been flawless so far as long as you come to a full stop. I even tried to park on the other side of a stations mail slot and it still works. At one point I thought I finally screwed it because it went into a what seems like an uncontrollable spin for like 40 seconds but still landed properly.

Still need to learn to land myself though before I buy a Python

I've been waiting to have a fail of my docking computer but this thing has been flawless so far as long as you come to a full stop. I even tried to park on the other side of a stations mail slot and it still works. At one point I thought I finally screwed it because it went into a what seems like an uncontrollable spin for like 40 seconds but still landed properly.

Still need to learn to land myself though before I buy a Python
<--- My face on every Docking Computer post.

I REMAIN DISGUST

It's cool a few times, and as a luxury, but I got rid of it. I tried it in my Anaconda just to see what it was like. It's neat, and the music is a nice touch, but I'll just land it manually as it's faster.

I would love to see a video of you landing faster than a docking computer seriously

Good lord there's too much RNG in Engineers. I'm trying to get some fucking Electrochemical Arrays, and according to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...=drive_web&usp=sheets_home&ths=true&sle=true#

They are MORE common than the other thing I needed (which I got), Conductive Polymers. I have killed many transport ships and checked many shipwrecks and have yet to get one. I understand Frontier doesn't want everyone to go for the same Engineered modules, but can we at least get some consistency here?

I would honestly be okay with a consistent way to find the materials (even if said method involves something like having to beat a wing of Elite Anacondas), as long as it was consistent, and keep the random rolling. Either that, or drop the random rolling and keep finding the materials the way it is.

Everything else in the game before Engineers NEVER suffered from any of the problems Engineers has, and that's quite telling. Exploration, trade, bounty hunting, combat zone farming, powerplay, all had their own issues, but the thing all of them had in common was consistency. You could always do these things, and sure, some methods took longer than others, but you knew what to expect and weren't running on a wild goose chase for hours only to have it give you a giant middle finger when you get back to the station.

Frontier has clearly made some fixes to Engineers since it launched, but they ain't done, and if they think they are they shouldn't be. Changes like the materials only going in the "Materials" inventory and not cargo was good. At least adding a ship delivery system (even if is also riddled with issues), was good. The frustrating thing is that a lot of what they would need to do to fix it would not be incredibly hard to implement.

On another note, I really wish you could buy Collector Limpets without a cargo rack for collecting materials. Trying to scoop loot with the Fer-De-Lance can be quite a difficult task especially for these tiny materials.

Also I figure I'll ask a dumb question: Does a manifest scanner tell you what materials a ship will drop when it's destroyed?
If you're still looking for Polymers, go to Outbreak systems. Look for convoy beacons. There are usually big cargo ships there.

Good news: these convoy beacons are full of T9's. Waves upon waves of them that will respawn every time you supercruise out and go back in.

Bad news: those T9's are full of innocent people fleeing a plague in their systems and are just looking for safety.

How bad do you want those Conductive Polymers? You could keep RNG'ing those USS spots. Or...

>:3

akira28

I believe that is true, but I still want to see it to be inspired to get that good

https://youtu.be/guTTUHgD-Ho

he kinda fucks up the last part, he should have come down into the blue zone like a locked electromagnet...but yeah that's you in a small ship, and eventually you'll be able to do that with an Anaconda.

How bad do you want those Conductive Polymers? You could keep RNG'ing those USS spots. Or...

>:3

no survivors, no witnesses, no proof.

I tried doing that in mostly hostile pirate zones hijacking their trade vessels, but they never had the right loot.

https://youtu.be/guTTUHgD-Ho

he kinda fucks up the last part, he should have come down into the blue zone like a locked electromagnet...but yeah that's you in a small ship, and eventually you'll be able to do that with an Anaconda.

no survivors, no witnesses, no proof.

I tried doing that in mostly hostile pirate zones hijacking their trade vessels, but they never had the right loot.

holy shit that was sick. You mean the last part could go faster? damn

edit: hmmm so the pad numbers are always in the same spots? does it mean you can memorize where they are after you've been playing a while?

akira28

lol, now he has to change from 'docking computer empire' to 'quik dox r us'.

and yeah the original outposts had their pads in generally the same space, there are only a handful of outpost configurations. but I read a while back they were going to start switching up and making new outpost designs, but that will probably come with later seasons. for now once you get the hang of small and medium ships, you'll start to memorize where the key small and medium pads are generally located. I start a boost towards the station, and then impulse orbit until I'm oriented near where the pads usually will be. Once you move up to medium ships, it'll get even easier(harder), because you'll have even fewer landing options. And you'll sometimes have to wait your turn behind other mediums.

Kyoufu

Made 200 million cr at Quince. Aiming for a billion to get back to where my PC progress was at but I wonder how long Quince will be up for before it gets nerfed (again?).

can someone tell me the benefits of hiring crew members?

Made 200 million cr at Quince. Aiming for a billion to get back to where my PC progress was at but I wonder how long Quince will be up for before it gets nerfed (again?).

I thought it got nerfed heading back very soon

as soon as I transfer my fuel scoop, now that I know how to scan I should be golden

is 1CR Billion enough though?

Kyoufu

can someone tell me the benefits of hiring crew members?

I thought it got nerfed heading back very soon

as soon as I transfer my fuel scoop, now that I know how to scan I should be golden

is 1CR Billion enough though?

Not really, but it'll make me feel less upset that I started all over again on PS4.

An Imperial Cutter A rated would cost more than that I think. :|

I would love to see a video of you landing faster than a docking computer seriously

Damn how did I miss this post. I'd be happy to turn on my Twitch stream for demonstration purposes. With and without a docking computer.

so you can memorize where the pad numbers are right?

Not really, no. Not for proper stations.

try not to rush yourselves to the end game, folks.

Not really, but it'll make me feel less upset that I started all over again on PS4.

An Imperial Cutter A rated would cost more than that I think. :|

ah this is good to know :3

as far as getting to the end game, I'll be playing this game for years but it sucks I can't transfer my progress to other platforms

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Good lord there's too much RNG in Engineers.

Honestly just stay the hell away from engineers, I went too deep with them and now the game just makes me wince when i think about the engineer grind and how RIDICULOUSLY time consuming it is, especially since you travel for hours to get enough for one roll and then you don't even get a good one of an experimental effect so you need to grind more reputation if you call in the favor.

Gaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Engineers ruined this game for me.

akira28

Is mining a worthwhile task without a mission objective?

look for a nice metallic planet and go searching for painite and gold and other valuables. I earned my way up to my first 30 million just mining with limpets. Plus the scenery is beautiful with the day night time cycle and planetary rings.

Hylian7

I decided to join the party late and go to the combat CG.

First of all, asteroid bases are fucking cool. Sadly this one did not have a ship yard, so I had to go to a planetary base nearby in Merope. I set my FDL to transfer and....3.5 mil an 1:16 wait time for a 129LY transfer?! Fucking Christ. Whatever, its money I can make back quickly, but that transfer time is ridiculous, but probably still faster than a billion tiny FDL jumps with scooping at almost every star.

Good lord transfers are ridiculous.

If anyone here partakes in PvP, how ruined is it by Engineered noodles? I'm debating just giving up on Engineers to do more shit that I enjoy in the game.

Vorheez

I think yes with a big cargo and collector limpets, plus a good mining site

I've decided that I'm gonna give it a try!

look for a nice metallic planet and go searching for painite and gold and other valuables. I earned my way up to my first 30 million just mining with limpets. Plus the scenery is beautiful with the day night time cycle and planetary rings.
This post sounds like you are doing your mining on the planet's surface with an SRV? Or do you mean that metallic planets tend to have quality asteroids near them?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...

This post sounds like you are doing your mining on the planet's surface with an SRV? Or do you mean that metallic planets tend to have quality asteroids near them?

I think he's referring to planetary rings. They can be of different types: rocky, icy, metal rich or metallic (planets can have multiple rings of different types; as a rule, metallic rings tend to be inner rings). For the big bucks you want metallic rings, but then the quality/state of the ring is also important. As a rule, the majority of the metallic rings within the bubble are Common or Depleted, meaning their quantity of good stuff is low.

You'll want to look on eddb.io for Pristine Metallic rings.

Sidon

I found 2 delivery missions that paid 150k each and did them, bought a cobra mk2 which seemed a decent upgrade. I want to try some of the surface stuff in the SRV is there anywhere I can get missions from or is it random?

It might be kind of random...but also not. :) I would first try landing on surface stations and checking there, making sure you're in a system or group of systems with bigger settlements, anarchy systems or systems in strife might offer more surface smuggling or attack missions etc.

akira28

sorry, the thing you want is 'pristine metallic rings'

loaded with valuable goodies.

wow that is pretty cool so jelly of PC goodies

I think I messed up the link, since the docking video isn't what I thought it would be.
Here's what EDDI does when docking.

I set my EDDI to use the Microsoft UK male voice for text to speech. It has a HAL or David from Alien:prometheus vibe to it.
I'm just waiting for it to refuse to open the SRV pod bay doors or launch unauthorised collector limpets at Unknown Probes.

I don't use the voice control part of VoiceAttack, but some people have some crazy macros to make them feel like Jean-Luc Picard on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Top Bottom