• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

lordxar

What? How? That can't be. I was online just 1 hour after the new CG started, there was always only one. This can't be completed in 1 hour. Strange.

Two cg's started on Thursday and we blew through the shipping one. I collected my loot this morning and they have apparently added another shipping one today lol

What? How? That can't be. I was online just 1 hour after the new CG started, there was always only one. This can't be completed in 1 hour. Strange.

There have been times in the passed where a CG was bugged and the amount to finish it was really low and they finish very fast.

Normally if that is the case though they will start a new one.

No idea if that may be the case here.

The EliteCG Subreddit is a nice way to keep track.

Seems a new trading one went up earlier today.

Volimar

Just a heads up. If you're flying one of the big ships like the Cutter, Clipper, Type 9, Anaconda, Beluga, or Corvette and you're playing in a system with other players, a CG for instance, it's common courtesy to just drop a line in local chat when you're getting ready to enter or leave a station, to make sure everyone has time to clear the mail slot.

"Anaconda arriving"

"Corvette disembarking"

That kind of thing.

o7

Just a heads up. If you're flying one of the big ships like the Cutter, Clipper, Type 9, Anaconda, Beluga, or Corvette and you're playing in a system with other players, a CG for instance, it's common courtesy to just drop a line in local chat when you're getting ready to enter or leave a station, to make sure everyone has time to clear the mail slot.

"Anaconda arriving"

"Corvette disembarking"

That kind of thing.

o7

Just do this:

Move_31a010_3045606.gif

Kyoufu

I'm so conflited on whether to buy a Cutter or not. I want a ship that is good at combat but also has a decent FSD jump range. I know the Anaconda fits that description but... It's not as cool as the Cutter :(

I'm so conflited on whether to buy a Cutter or not. I want a ship that is good at combat but also has a decent FSD jump range. I know the Anaconda fits that description but... It's not as cool as the Cutter :(

I wish I would have went Empire to rank up. All their ships are cool. The only cool Fed ship is the Corvette. I'm already too deep into Fed ranking, so I just need to finish and get the Corvette. My Empire rank is still none. RIP.

Volimar

I wish I would have went Empire to rank up. All their ships are cool. The only cool Fed ship is the Corvette. I'm already too deep into Fed ranking, so I just need to finish and get the Corvette. My Empire rank is still none. RIP.

I love my Vette, but that jump range :(

Kyoufu

I love my Vette, but that jump range :(

That's how I feel about my FDL. It's borderline unusable if you don't intend on staying in the same system forever. :s

I did a shit load of Quince scanner missions. I wonder how much rank I have with Empire.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Coming up on the end of a 1.5mil tourist run. Saw some neat things but this has taken me way longer than originally assumed. I might stick to straightforward passenger missions from now on.

Still tempted to pick up a Dolphin though.

darkwing

Coming up on the end of a 1.5mil tourist run. Saw some neat things but this has taken me way longer than originally assumed. I might stick to straightforward passenger missions from now on.

what ship are you using now? Dolphin has a very long range

Fucking so mad. Crashed trying to get into a station so I could turn in 4 mil in passenger missions. I it's not the crash either. It's being caught up in the fucking metal wire shit they put at the entrance and then dying like an idiot after pinballing all around. Ggggrrrrrraaahhhhggghhh

How long we talking? I’ve considered branching out to the longer passenger runs, but i’ve been worried that the time investment would scale faster then the payoff.

Volimar

They fill that 'I want to do cool stuff in an Eagle' feeling because if you die you just print out a new one instead of getting kicked back to a station. Also they do a lot more damage than I would have suspected.

I just wish they had a longer leash.

Kyoufu

Do I still get rep even though I haven't gone up in rank? Is there a limit to it or can you potentially accumulate enough rep for maximum rank before doing a series of naval missions to actually rank up?

So, I did the first engineering mission and extended the frameship drive for the first time and the jump distance is around 30ly now. A few questions.

Extending the jump distance is the only thing that makes sense to do or? For what do I need the other options, specially when they reduce the jump space?

Does it make sense to extend something if I don't have the A version of that module?

Since I need to extend 3 things to get to the next level, what should I do next? I have litterally no idea what other things make sense to extend.

And a little question to the modules, does it makes sense, if you want to have the best ship, to just buy the a versions of everything? Cause that's what I do at the moment and while it seems logical to do that, I don't see that many community builds where everything is on A.
My ASP X is now on 950000 insurance cost.

StonedRider

Do I still get rep even though I haven't gone up in rank? Is there a limit to it or can you potentially accumulate enough rep for maximum rank before doing a series of naval missions to actually rank up?

Don't know about a limit, but when you complete more missions while waiting for naval mission to pop up, they definitely give rep towards your next rank.

Moose Biscuits

what ship are you using now? Dolphin has a very long range

An Adder with a 11-13lyr range. It wasn't so much the number of jumps as the frequency with which I had to park in front of a star to refuel.

How long we talking? I’ve considered branching out to the longer passenger runs, but i’ve been worried that the time investment would scale faster then the payoff.

I guess it might be better if you have a ship with longer range than mine. Maybe I'll start doing those long range missions once I get a craft like the Dolphin.

GeeTeeCee

I've just turned up in a system running a CG for the first time, and while it's great seeing a bunch of other players flying about, it sure isn't fun to play a game of "can I exit out of supercruise before I get disconnected from the server."

Moondrop

Banned
My first HOTAS arrived and it's glorious. It's like the difference between playing on a sideways Wiimote/Joycon vs. a pro controller. Sure you can do almost everything on the former, but with the latter you simply have a greater sense of control.

I went with the X52 for VR cockpit immersion. Mounting to my chair took a bit, but in game it's plug and play. The best instant upgrade is improved galaxy map control; it's hell in VR with the default controller. There's definitely a steep learning curve for everything besides spatial orientation though. The most ridiculous is I'll launch without realizing the throttle isn't at zero, so I slam forward into a structure. I'm looking forward to weeks of customizing the buttons, knobs, and sliders. And as a complete noob to HOTAS, having a fire button under a flip-up thumb lock is fucking badass.

Elite noob questions: I'm having trouble identifying ships around me. Part of it is that I don't know if I'm "targeting" or "scanning," I can't tell if other ships are NPCs or PCs, I can't tell if they detect my targeting/scanning, or if that's a faux pas and it's rude to scan other ships. I want to check out other players' ships without being aggressive, and also better identify patrol ships if I ever want to be an outlaw. Please explain?

Jedi2016

Elite noob questions: I'm having trouble identifying ships around me. Part of it is that I don't know if I'm "targeting" or "scanning," I can't tell if other ships are NPCs or PCs, I can't tell if they detect my targeting/scanning, or if that's a faux pas and it's rude to scan other ships. I want to check out other players' ships without being aggressive, and also better identify patrol ships if I ever want to be an outlaw. Please explain?
Player ships will appear on your radar with a hollow icon instead of a solid one. Their names also always begin with "CMDR". So if you see a ship named "Archimedes", it's an NPC.. if it's "CMDR Archimedes", then it's a player.

I don't imagine players really mind if you scan them, as just a basic scan will pick up their ship configuration. They might question if you're scanning their cargo (which requires a different type of scanner), but I'm not sure if that shows up on their end any differently than the usual "Scan Detected" message. They might look to see what you're doing, but as long as you keep your weapons tucked away, I don't think it would be a problem.

NPC patrol ships always travel in tight formation, and are usually visually different, with custom paint jobs. If you target them, they'll show up as a local security ship of some kind.

Moondrop

Banned
Thanks, that should help. I don't think I've done myself any favors by playing with the HUD colors. I really dislike the orange text in VR, but I haven't yet found a pleasing combo that doesn't wreck everything else. EDIT: may have found the magic formula; will report back later if it works.

Getting sick of the Hauler, but I need the jump range for my noob purposes. Saving up for that sweet sweet Dolphin.

So you can't dock bigger ships at outposts?

How do you know if a base will fit your ship size? I mean surface bases is it anything that ends with the word Depot?

Manzoon

Banned
I just wish they had a longer leash.

What is the full range? I don't know if I ever wandered that far from my Anaconda, I hired a competent pilot (who is anything but in a fight) and they do a passable job of staying close. I wonder if there are technical limitations, because I remember Frontier saying something about limiting the number of launched fighters to keep PC ship numbers down in an instance.

On your sensors you'll have fuzzy contacts on the edge that show the general direction of targets, they'll stop jumping around when they are close enough to target, either with your hotkeys or from the Contacts list. Initially you will have very little information on a contact, when they get in your field of view you will automatically start scanning them which will give more info, (bounties in system, pilot name, all that stuff). Scanning doesn't trigger aggression from the NPCs, but I can imagine if a PC is mining and you start hovering behind them with hard points deployed and start scanning they might get a little nervous. But with Elite's shoot first and you get a death warrant, most people aren't that trigger happy.

If a ship is a hollow shape (a rectangle or triangle outline) on the scanner, they are a PC, if they are solid, NPC. If they are a rectangle, hard points are retracted, a triangle means their hard points are deployed. Red is a hostile on the radar, white rectangle is cargo or materials. I think that's about it, I'm sure others will say if I forgot anything.

Megasoum

Banned
It would be cool to have larger ships with some kind of shuttle or drone that you can land on smaller pads...

At that point this would even open up the possibility of user controlled Capital Ships that you could leave in orbit around a station and send a shuttle to land to do your business.

They fill that 'I want to do cool stuff in an Eagle' feeling because if you die you just print out a new one instead of getting kicked back to a station. Also they do a lot more damage than I would have suspected.

Yeah I took out a Keelback out in a highRes to try it out. 300+ mil power and 500+ boost being so small is awesome. Had a spawned wing of police 'Condas so I was zipping around them making low passes. Then ducking in and out of laser fire and PA rounds making passes on wanted ships.

More ships need fighters.

Jedi2016

You gotta watch out for your fighter if you let the AI fly it.

What I think happened is that I was accidentally strafed by a patrol ship during a fight with a Wanted NPC. Happens all the time, really. My computer said I was "under attack", even though I wasn't really being attacked (no red enemies on the HUD). But my AI fighter pilot apparently took offense and began firing on the patrol ships. You can guess what happened next... I don't think I made it out of that one, and rebuy on an Anaconda that's probably worth close to half a billion credits is a bitch.

On the flip side, you also have to be careful letting the AI fly your main ship, since they start tinkering with the power distributor settings, and immediately take all the pips out of shields. My shields aren't quite A-rated anyway, and I need at least two pips at all times when I'm in combat. I think next time I might try setting the distributor the way I want, then turning it completely off (basically "locking" the distributor to whatever you set it to, I do the same thing when I'm out exploring) and then switching to the fighter.

Slayven

It would be cool to have larger ships with some kind of shuttle or drone that you can land on smaller pads...

At that point this would even open up the possibility of user controlled Capital Ships that you could leave in orbit around a station and send a shuttle to land to do your business.

That would be too cool. Leave your big ship outside a system and handle business with a shuttle .

Moose Biscuits

Like a tender vessel, you mean? That would be cool, and could allow for larger vessels than would fit through the mail slot.

The only difficulty would be how to handle cargo and the like. I assume you'd have to transfer stuff to the tender and ferry things back and forth that way. Also, while the tender is docked your main ship could be at risk.

Slayven

Like a tender vessel, you mean? That would be cool, and could allow for larger vessels than would fit through the mail slot.

The only difficulty would be how to handle cargo and the like. I assume you'd have to transfer stuff to the tender and ferry things back and forth that way. Also, while the tender is docked your main ship could be at risk.

Ferry drones

Hylian7

You gotta watch out for your fighter if you let the AI fly it.

What I think happened is that I was accidentally strafed by a patrol ship during a fight with a Wanted NPC. Happens all the time, really. My computer said I was "under attack", even though I wasn't really being attacked (no red enemies on the HUD). But my AI fighter pilot apparently took offense and began firing on the patrol ships. You can guess what happened next... I don't think I made it out of that one, and rebuy on an Anaconda that's probably worth close to half a billion credits is a bitch.

On the flip side, you also have to be careful letting the AI fly your main ship, since they start tinkering with the power distributor settings, and immediately take all the pips out of shields. My shields aren't quite A-rated anyway, and I need at least two pips at all times when I'm in combat. I think next time I might try setting the distributor the way I want, then turning it completely off (basically "locking" the distributor to whatever you set it to, I do the same thing when I'm out exploring) and then switching to the fighter.
My policy on fighters is just to only deploy them if I plan on taking a target down. I use the dual beam laser imperial fighter, so I take control of it initially to take the shields down, then switch back to the mothership (and laugh that the pilot had no pips to shields) and do the rest. The AI is always doing backup, not the important shit. If the fighter does (and it will), big whoop.

glaurung

OK elite Elite pilots, another newbie question incoming.

When I finally have enough credits to purchase a new ship, how should I go about upgraded internal modules that I have installed on my beginner ship?

Also, should I hold out for the Cobra or upgrade to an interim ship that I can afford right away?

Thank you in advance. Been playing this on the PS4.

Hylian7

OK elite Elite pilots, another newbie question incoming.

When I finally have enough credits to purchase a new ship, how should I go about upgraded internal modules that I have installed on my beginner ship?

Also, should I hold out for the Cobra or upgrade to an interim ship that I can afford right away?

Thank you in advance. Been playing this on the PS4.
Just hold out for the Cobra. Anything else is either a side grade, or money you could have saved for the Cobra. The Cobra is only a few hundred thousand, which is not incredibly much. Most people look at the Eagle and think it is an upgrade, but really it is just an alternative Sidewinder. It's fast and fun to fly, but not really a straight upgrade over the Sidewinder.

Moose Biscuits

Just hold out for the Cobra. Anything else is either a side grade, or money you could have saved for the Cobra. The Cobra is only a few hundred thousand, which is not incredibly much. Most people look at the Eagle and think it is an upgrade, but really it is just an alternative Sidewinder. It's fast and fun to fly, but not really a straight upgrade over the Sidewinder.

I recall the cobra costing about 3mil?

Edit: just looked on Coriolis, I guess not. Weird.

Ok, so just tried Elite: Dangerous in VR (Oculus Rift) for the first time and holy shit.

As I type this the grin is still on my face. I do have a few points I need to make though both about Elite and VR in general from my first hour or so fooling around with it..

• The ASP Explorer cockpit in VR might be my favorite thing I've ever seen.
  • The Bobble heads are there! I know they are not actually there, in fact nothing is there but dammit they are there!
  • The Galaxy and System maps are god awful in VR and whoever designed them should feel bad.
  • Holy scale batman! The SRV's tires are much larger than I thought they would be and don't get me started on the size of the ASP when I called it down for landing.
  • We defiantly are not there in terms of resolution right now. The screendoor effect is real and text can be a pain to read but I'm all in.
  • Looking at my Holo-Me in VR actually kinda freaked me out at first. Like, there's just a person standing there.
  • The ship UI in VR is something to behold, straight outta Minority Report.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ok, so just tried Elite: Dangerous in VR (Oculus Rift) for the first time and holy shit.

As I type this the grin is still on my face. I do have a few points I need to make though both about Elite and VR in general from my first hour or so fooling around with it..

• The ASP Explorer cockpit in VR might be my favorite thing I've ever seen.
  • The Bobble heads are there! I know they are not actually there, in fact nothing is there but dammit they are there!
  • The Galaxy and System maps are god awful in VR and whoever designed them should feel bad.
  • Holy scale batman! The SRV's tires are much larger than I thought they would be and don't get me started on the size of the ASP when I called it down for landing.
  • We defiantly are not there in terms of resolution right now. The screendoor effect is real and text can be a pain to read but I'm all in.
  • Looking at my Holo-Me in VR actually kinda freaked me out at first. Like, there's just a person standing there.
  • The ship UI in VR is something to behold, straight outta Minority Report.

I'd love to play Elite in VR, but I can't for two reasons:

1. I don't own a VR headset for the PC, and
2. my PC ain't beefy enough to run it if I did!

Someday though, someday...

glaurung

Thanks, I'll keep grinding for the Cobra. Currently at ~140K and climbing.

But my other question was this: I upgraded various internal components of my beginner Sidewinder (e.g. 2D power plant, 2C FSD for better range etc.). When I replace my ship, should I first store all these components and then re-fit them on the new ship or is that done automatically?

Whats a good upgrade after the cobra mark III?

I keep telling you guys. VR is where it's at.

Also, Beluga Liner cockpit > AspX

Depends on what you want to do.

One does not simply "upgrade" from the fastest ship in the game. One...gets something different that does some things better and some things worse. Best to think about it like that.

Hylian7

Thanks, I'll keep grinding for the Cobra. Currently at ~140K and climbing.

But my other question was this: I upgraded various internal components of my beginner Sidewinder (e.g. 2D power plant, 2C FSD for better range etc.). When I replace my ship, should I first store all these components and then re-fit them on the new ship or is that done automatically?

Cobra is class 4 power plant, so definitely sell your class 2. For the sidey I would likely just sell everything. I don't remember all the hard points on the Cobra, but they are likely better than the sidey.
What Dreams said basically.

Peroroncino

Did bounty hunting CG glitched out? It reached tier 8 I think 4 or 5 days before the deadline, stayed incomplete for couple of hours, and now it says that it's completed with progress bar right under tier 8, wtf?

Kyoufu

Did bounty hunting CG glitched out? It reached tier 8 I think 4 or 5 days before the deadline, stayed incomplete for couple of hours, and now it says that it's completed with progress bar right under tier 8, wtf?

Yeah, for some reason 4 million credits were deducted from the total handed in by the community.

This game has a lot of bugs :(

Peroroncino

Yeah, for some reason 4 million credits were deducted from the total handed in by the community.

This game has a lot of bugs :(

What's worse is that I'm in 25% with over 8kk contribution while I easily did more than that, it just stopped counting my progress after my 5th or so run. :/

Top Bottom