• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Khezu

I'm not really sure I understand a lot of the stats.

I upgraded the FSD in my Viper ship and on paper it seemed like it would only be a slight upgrade based on the percentages the page was showing me, but in practice it was a huge increase in how far I could jump, that or saving me fuel on each jump, w/e it did.

I left for Colonia during the Christmas Convoy of 2016. I'm nearly there. It was a mistake to think I could do that journey with 19.5LY Type-6 for sustained periods of time. I sure hope they weren't depending on the 80 units of hats I was transporting.

I upgraded the FSD in my Viper ship and on paper it seemed like it would only be a slight upgrade based on the percentages the page was showing me, but in practice it was a huge increase in how far I could jump, that or saving me fuel on each jump, w/e it did.

FSD upgrades are almost always large. Optimal Multiplier is always the stat to look at.

Some of the stats are incredibly hard to understand. Instead of looking at multipliers, optimums or whatever, just look at the change to your main stats (jump range, shields, speed, etc.) when you select the upgrade in the purchasing menu.

Preezy

Glad to see there's a community for Elite on GAF, I just got this on PS4 - Commander Preezy85.

Hopefully I'll run into one or two of you in the inky vastness of space :)

Gaenor

Banned
I bought the game last friday on PS4, so I'm a total noob. All I do is cargo missions to rack up credits, and I'm already at about 2M credits with a Diamondback Explorer ship (I know it's not really a cargo ship, but I like it). The game is gorgeous and so relaxing.

Question: How do i get the Sol permit ?

And any tips to make more credits quickly ? As a cargo hauler, I earn about 100k-150k per voyage (1 or 2 drive jumps away usually, so it doesn't take too much time to earn it).

Burny

Question: How do i get the Sol permit ?

Rank up in the federal navy to the 3rd (?) rank, iirc. This is done by doing missions for "Federation" minor factions, increasing your Federation rank (right status panel). Once you hit 100% in your current rank, look out for rank up missions (easier to get if you're on good terms with a minor-faction), fulfill it. Rinse and repeat.

Happy grinding! (Google for the most efficient ways to currently do all this)

Preezy

Without having to trawl the internet for an answer, can anyone here give me a quick idea of the buyback cost on a bog-standard Cobra Mk3? I think I've got just enough to purchase the ship but obviously I want to make sure I've got enough cash for the buyback in case I lose the ship doing something silly.

Thanks

Without having to trawl the internet for an answer, can anyone here give me a quick idea of the buyback cost on a bog-standard Cobra Mk3? I think I've got just enough to purchase the ship but obviously I want to make sure I've got enough cash for the buyback in case I lose the ship doing something silly.

Thanks

~200k I think

Gaenor

Banned
Rank up in the federal navy to the 3rd (?) rank, iirc. This is done by doing missions for "Federation" minor factions, increasing your Federation rank (right status panel). Once you hit 100% in your current rank, look out for rank up missions (easier to get if you're on good terms with a minor-faction), fulfill it. Rinse and repeat.

Happy grinding! (Google for the most efficient ways to currently do all this)

Thanks !

DrBo42

They're having a lore stream on the 14th and will be talking about 2.4. Hinting at the reveal of a release date. Looks like we'll be playing it either end of September or early October to coincide with Frontier Expo. Bit of a longer wait than I was hoping for but it makes sense for maximum exposure/industry hype.

Launched the game for the first time in a long while, damn Frontier doubling down on ridiculous micro transactions. Some of the most egregious shit I've seen.

Wait what? For cosmetics?

I don't mind the paint jobs etc.

The game costs £40, you grind for hours for a good ship and displaying the ships name is a micro transaction. It's ridiculous, the game has been out for ages, before with the paint jobs etc, while in early access I saw those as ways to fund the development of the game (which is also remarkably slow).

Not surprised at the steam reviews and active player base at all.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind the paint jobs etc.

The game costs £40, you grind for hours for a good ship and displaying the ships name is a micro transaction. It's ridiculous, the game has been out for ages, before with the paint jobs etc, while in early access I saw those as ways to fund the development of the game (which is also remarkably slow).

Not surprised at the steam reviews and active player base at all.

That's still £10-15 less than other new releases. Personally, I'm happy to throw that spare change at cosmetics because I get a lot out of this game and want to support FDev. Many players spend hundreds.

When it boils down to it, the ridiculous thing is wanting to display your ship's name in the first place, because in a game like this, hardly anyone is ever going to see it. It's pure vanity, to make you feel more proud of your digital assets.

As for development being slow, I'm just glad they spent resources to bring this to PS4, as I never would have given it a second look otherwise.

SmartBase

I don't mind that cosmetics are extras but it's annoying they give you none for free. Even F2P rubbish throw you a few scraps to start off with.

hobozero

OK, finally ready to start explorations (741 hours in)! I have my Courier all pimped out, scooping cool and with a 42-46Ly jump range. Where should I go? People seem to take cool screenshots "above" the Milky Way, I hear nubulas are neat. Sag A* seems kind of played out, but if it's super cool I could go there.

Volimar

One free bobblehead wouldn't be remiss says this cheap ass gamer.

I wonder if they'll have the patch go live right after the lore stream. That'd be nice.

DrBo42

One free bobblehead wouldn't be remiss says this cheap ass gamer.

I wonder if they'll have the patch go live right after the lore stream. That'd be nice.

This is their only big marketable update for the next year. I can't see them dropping it after a small-time stream.

Volimar

It's still set for a Q3 release. October any day would be Q4.

And they'll be rolling it out in waves. I expect much hype at every new discovery.

SmartBase

I thought the Commander edition gave you a couple skins for the starting ships?

I agree overall with you though.

Last free one IIRC was a Christmas metallic eagle. Agree though they should at least have the community made skins for free.

Ugh don't get me started on how ridiculous per-ship paintjobs are in a game about upgrading to better ships, I feel really lucky to have the Black Friday paintjob.

That's still £10-15 less than other new releases. Personally, I'm happy to throw that spare change at cosmetics because I get a lot out of this game and want to support FDev. Many players spend hundreds.

When it boils down to it, the ridiculous thing is wanting to display your ship's name in the first place, because in a game like this, hardly anyone is ever going to see it. It's pure vanity, to make you feel more proud of your digital assets.

As for development being slow, I'm just glad they spent resources to bring this to PS4, as I never would have given it a second look otherwise.

Perhaps it's pure vanity to want to look at something and admire it after you went on a few days grind to obtain it.

But it is pure greed on FDevs part for not even providing basic paint jobs in the game.

Imagine if Rockstar started charging micro transactions for paint jobs in single player "because no one else will see it".

It's pure greed.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind that cosmetics are extras but it's annoying they give you none for free. Even F2P rubbish throw you a few scraps to start off with.

They do freebies every once in a while. In the first couple of weeks of the PS4 release we got a CMDR suit pack and some Powerplay decals. Yeah it'd be nice if we had basic paint jobs from time to time, but no need to overblow it.

Perhaps it's pure vanity to want to look at something and admire it after you went on a few days grind to obtain it.

But it is pure greed on FDevs part for not even providing basic paint jobs in the game.

Imagine if Rockstar started charging micro transactions for paint jobs in single player "because no one else will see it".

It's pure greed.

Point taken.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't understand why paint jobs are even a thing in this game, why am i not allowed to fully customize the color of my ship? What if I want a gold ship with red accents? Guess what, I'm not allowed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Either that or an ongoing revenue stream supporting ongoing development of the game.

Or both.

If you ask me, ship body kits, bobble heads, engine and weapon colors are perfectly acceptable micro transactions. Since they're basically extra fluff that goes on your ship.

But, nameplates, decals and paint jobs? That stuff should be free since those kinds of things are generally what you expect to be part of a game with any customization. Hell Warfame is completely f2p and they at least give you like 16 colors to choose from for free when you start to recolor anything in the game, from your guns to the inside of your ship.

Volimar

I don't mind the decals. We get free ones. A few paint jobs would be nice. Full paint customization would be the bee's knees.

Burny

Okay maybe I see why they didn't do that.

For the lowly price of the ship name/ID plates, you can still adorn your virtual pretend space ship with the equivalent character sequence: eight, equals, equals, capital D.

Their we-need-everything-to-be-kindergarden-firendly policy doesn't block that as far as I'm aware. ;)

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Imagine a full-on Forza style livery editor...

Covering my Courier like

76a.jpg

Agremont

There's a thing I've been wondering about but forgotten to ask about. How many level 3 detailed scans do you guys have? Especially you explorers.

Because mine jumped up like crazy after returning from a trip ages ago. During the early time of the game, I believe after a patch. Mine sits at something like 43000! Which I believe must be a bug.

Edit:
ClPh2wS.jpg

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
There's a thing I've been wondering about but forgotten to ask about. How many level 3 detailed scans do you guys have? Especially you explorers.

Because mine jumped up like crazy after returning from a trip ages ago. During the early time of the game, I believe after a patch. Mine sits at something like 43000! Which I believe must be a bug.

Edit:
ClPh2wS.jpg

Level 3 are "honks" I think, I have more than 58 000 level 3 and more than 1500 level 2, which are the detailed ones.

///PATRIOT

Banned
CMDR ///PATRIOT reporting in.

I am finally playing this game as I bought it like a year ago.
Is GAF a faction something, I would like to join you guys.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
What, more detailed honks? I'm not sure I understand.

I think honks are level 3, so in a given system even if you scan nothing you still "scan" what your honk scan detects.

Level 2 are detailed scans, when you select a body and get close to scan it with the detailed surface scanner.

Top Bottom