• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Couple that with the heavy shield boosters adding a max of 200% each.

Yeah, even though the Python's shields aren't so hot right now, and I've had to do some power management in the past, this is really going to make that ship pretty bonkers.

Actually I should probably switch allegiances to start working on the time limit to get Prismatics now, rather than later.

la_briola

Jesus balogna fuck, PRISMATICS FOR ALL.

-----

It's funny; I've had my X-52 for who knows how long, and it was completely fine for years. I considered myself lucky that I wasn't having what issues everyone else did. That Warthog sale comes up, I buy one as an upgrade, and the very next day, the thing decides to start acting up. Now when it rests at neutral, it's generating a slight downward pitch.

Oh well, gonna get that all sorted in a few days, at least.

Can't you calibrate that? With the CH software you can do it.

Pomerlaw

- Surface details (Great on everything but icy worlds...still haven't heard anything from FD on that)

Hi!

I saw a thread on the official forums. They are aware of the problem, and working on it. A dev wrote a few times in that thread, but I can't seem to find it now...

Seiru

Banned
So I tried getting into this for the first time because of the Oculus Rift support. So far I've lost my starting ship two times. I don't think I'm very good at this game.

First time I found a contract that said to just wait around for a while, and they'd tell me where to meet them? Sounded dangerous, but it was paying 80,000 credits, and I only need 12k to buy the mining stuff I want to get into, so I accepted it. As soon as I warped into the system and engaged supercruise, some guy tried to knock me out of it, but I managed to stay in by lining up the escape vector or whatever (I credit the HOTAS I bought for this). I was soon knocked out of warp again though, and this time I didn't escape. However, the guy (AI?) who attacked me was super bad, and I killed him pretty easily, and got some bounty credit on top of it. Right after the battle, my quest updated...but it still didn't show where to deliver the data? I looked at nearby stuff in the system, and there was a "strong signal source" or something highlighted, so I figured that's where I needed to be. I supercruised to it..and immediately ran into like five ships all flying in formation. As I was looking over at my communications to see if I could say hello, they all fired at once at my ship. I didn't even have a chance to get away. The worst part was, I seem to have even lost the bounty I got? Even just that would have been enough for a mining laser and a refinery :(

Second time, I accepted a mission to deliver medical supplies to some far off system. It paid a lot though, so I figured why not! Except right after taking the mission, I realized I didn't have a route to the target system. After fiddling around with the galaxy map for a bit, I managed to find a route that got sort of close to the target system, and I assumed that maybe a station in that system would have map data that would let me jump the rest of the way. However, what I didn't realize was, not every system is populated. Needless to say, I ended up in the middle of nowhere without enough fuel to make another jump. Not knowing what else to do, I pointed my ship at the sun and waited until my ship exploded.

Anyways, VR+HOTAS in this game is awesome. Even these unfortunate events were pretty cool when I felt like I was really there. If I was just playing on a monitor, maybe I'd be feeling differently right now.

Can't you calibrate that? With the CH software you can do it.

That's what mine did yesterday out of nowhere as well. As stated above I unplugged the stick for a moment and plugged it back it. All nice and dandy again.

Sort of! It's not actually a miscalibration, it's that it's a bit looser than it should be and it's naturally resting at a not true neutral anymore. I temporarily solved it by increasing deadzone size.

Still, highly amusing that it only started doing this now. It must know it's time is limited.

I made 1830 merits since I last asked here, that was a fast rank 4. How much is the decay each week?

a little over 50%. Quite reasonable for Ranks 1-4. For rank 5 it's brutal unless you have a trade ship with a big hull to shuffle papers around. It takes about 2.5 hours of trading in a cutter to maintain Rank 5. It takes 10-12 hours of undermining to do the same.

I know because I did it religiously for about 5 months without fail. Netflix and OnTopReplica be came my friends.

Went through whole seasons of Arrow and Flash with OnTopReplica. If you don't have it installed and don't have access to multiple montiors, install it now. It's fantastic.

la_briola

a little over 50%. Quite reasonable for Ranks 1-4. For rank 5 it's brutal unless you have a trade ship with a big hull to shuffle papers around. It takes about 2.5 hours of trading in a cutter to maintain Rank 5. It takes 10-12 hours of undermining to do the same.

I know because I did it religiously for about 5 months without fail. Netflix and OnTopReplica be came my friends.

Went through whole seasons of Arrow and Flash with OnTopReplica. If you don't have it installed and don't have access to multiple montiors, install it now. It's fantastic.

That's not bad.

I use a second monitor where I watch stuff, but that program still looks useful. Thanks!

metalhead79

Neo Member
In hindsight, it might have been better to let the System Authority ships handle the decked out Anaconda.....rather than try to hit and run against him in my moderately equipped Viper.

On another note, I just got a TrackIR 5 and it is a game changer. Well worth the money.

I kind of want to fly a Viper around for awhile. I flew one for a long time early on. It had nice hardpoint placement, very fast. I liked the cockpit too, it felt like a fighter jet like the F15 or something. Kind of a Relic but still effective.

That's not bad.

I use a second monitor where I watch stuff, but that program still looks useful. Thanks!

It also has a transparency setting and a borderless setting so you can still see things behind the window a bit if need be. I've also used it for other "farm-heavy" games like Diablo and Path of Exile. It's really good.

Highly recommended and I like it more than using my laptop or a second monitor because I can have all the sound (game and media being watched) going through my headphones. Whereas if I'm watching something on my laptop I have to plug my headphones into that and can no longer hear the game.

Also works with stuff like Twtich, VLC player, etc. Anything that can run video you can make a window of any size with. If you need any instructions let me know, but I found it pretty straight forward.

Important catch: Game needs to be in a fullscreen borderless mode instead of exclusive full screen. Or, that's how I always did it.

On another note, I just got a TrackIR 5 and it is a game changer. Well worth the money.

Yea it's great. If you decide you ultimately want to save some money, you can build your own TrackIR 5 with a $5 PS EyeToy and the same TrackClip Pro headset. About $45 total.

la_briola

Wow, damn, what did you do to get that many? The CZ like areas get me 10 a ship and the interdiction method only 30, and it seems that's slower. Did you do the interdictions?

Yes, interdiction pays 30-60, at least in the systems I was.
I focused on Alliance Bureaucrat (Mahon), they netted me 60 and all the Alliance Enforcer payed 30.

The former fly Hauler, Adder, Type-6, Type-9 and Cobra MkIII (maybe more) and melt fast. The first three die before I can use my FSD again.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Yea it's great. If you decide you ultimately want to save some money, you can build your own TrackIR 5 with a $5 PS EyeToy and the same TrackClip Pro headset. About $45 total.

Yeah, I considered all the options, TrackHat, ED Tracker Pro and making my own, but ultimately decided on TrackIR. I originally was using the PS Eye Camera with facetracknoir and it didn't work to well for me. Since I had to push my Rift purchase to next year, I just need something that works and works well with Elite.

Yes, interdiction pays 30-60, at least in the systems I was.
I focused on Alliance Bureaucrat (Mahon), they netted me 60 and all the Alliance Enforcer payed 30.

The former fly Hauler, Adder, Type-6, Type-9 and Cobra MkIII (maybe more) and melt fast. The first three die before I can use my FSD again.

Had no idea different ships gave different amounts, I must have only interdicted the ships valued at 30, and was getting them slow enough that the corrupt system official method was getting me merits faster.

Good to know, thank you!

I have yet to touch Powerplay but with the upcoming option to basically turn it off temporarily to avoid the harassment from other factions has me interested in checking it out.

So I tried getting into this for the first time because of the Oculus Rift support. So far I've lost my starting ship two times. I don't think I'm very good at this game.

First time I found a contract that said to just wait around for a while, and they'd tell me where to meet them? Sounded dangerous, but it was paying 80,000 credits, and I only need 12k to buy the mining stuff I want to get into, so I accepted it. As soon as I warped into the system and engaged supercruise, some guy tried to knock me out of it, but I managed to stay in by lining up the escape vector or whatever (I credit the HOTAS I bought for this). I was soon knocked out of warp again though, and this time I didn't escape. However, the guy (AI?) who attacked me was super bad, and I killed him pretty easily, and got some bounty credit on top of it. Right after the battle, my quest updated...but it still didn't show where to deliver the data? I looked at nearby stuff in the system, and there was a "strong signal source" or something highlighted, so I figured that's where I needed to be. I supercruised to it..and immediately ran into like five ships all flying in formation. As I was looking over at my communications to see if I could say hello, they all fired at once at my ship. I didn't even have a chance to get away. The worst part was, I seem to have even lost the bounty I got? Even just that would have been enough for a mining laser and a refinery :(

Second time, I accepted a mission to deliver medical supplies to some far off system. It paid a lot though, so I figured why not! Except right after taking the mission, I realized I didn't have a route to the target system. After fiddling around with the galaxy map for a bit, I managed to find a route that got sort of close to the target system, and I assumed that maybe a station in that system would have map data that would let me jump the rest of the way. However, what I didn't realize was, not every system is populated. Needless to say, I ended up in the middle of nowhere without enough fuel to make another jump. Not knowing what else to do, I pointed my ship at the sun and waited until my ship exploded.

Anyways, VR+HOTAS in this game is awesome. Even these unfortunate events were pretty cool when I felt like I was really there. If I was just playing on a monitor, maybe I'd be feeling differently right now.
Do not start mining with a sidewinder. It's not worth it! You need an ASP minimum for it to be fun and lucrative! The refinery needs to be cleared all the time, you can only hold (iirc) 4 cargo. No, do not do it :)

Do dismiss the bulletin board at first! If you really want to do some missions from there, do only data transport or cargo transport. Data transport is best for you. The do not need Cargo Hold at all and you can take several missions at once that way.

Do some bounty hunting first to get some money! Try a ressource extraction site (RES) with low. Those are in rings around planets most of the time. Bring with you a kill warrant scanner and scan enemy ships. If they are wanted, engage! Do not tackle Python, Anaconda, Dropship, Assault Ship yet if you do not have significant help in form of authorities.

Switch ships from Sidewinder to Eagle to Viper and try to upgrade those to A rated modules. (expensive!)

If you have a spare module slot or you are not intending to trade, take a fuel scoop with you. With it you can scoop fuel out of stars. :)

Regarding the route: Look left, switch to transactions and in the detail view of the mission you have "open in galaxy map" to the right. If you click this and switch back to the first tab and open the galaxy map, this system is selected and you can add a route to it easily. ;)
Try to setup the galaxy map navigation to you liking. It SUCKS in VR without configuration! I use the stick to rotate and pan the camera. To move the selector I use the hat on the throttle. Z-axis is one of the wheels on the throttle. With proper control on the galaxy map it's much more easy. Do not use the mouse. This is confusing as fuck :D

Too bad it's not possible to use something like this in VR. I'd like to have a panel somewhere in the hud where I can watch something in between :D

I have yet to touch Powerplay but with the upcoming option to basically turn it off temporarily to avoid the harassment from other factions has me interested in checking it out.
Haven't used it either. I don't know what the benefits for me are. Right now it feels like it's more grind with pseudo stress to keep up and the negative effect of harassment. Thanks nope.

Regarding the switching of the Switch Button on the X52pro:
This works suprisingly well and I kinda like it. You can indeed use the fire button AND it's full press button as two separate switch buttons. In my case I use the following for example:
weapon release button (WRP) => deploy/retract hardpoints
Fire + WRP => switch silent mode
Fire + Fully pressed + WRP => Switch Flight Assist
throttle resting position thumb button (trptr) => Boost
Fire + trptr => FSD
Fire + Fully pressed + trptr => FSD to Supercruise (if target is obscured this is important to get away anyway)

Seiru

Banned
Do not start mining with a sidewinder. It's not worth it! You need an ASP minimum for it to be fun and lucrative! The refinery needs to be cleared all the time, you can only hold (iirc) 4 cargo. No, do not do it :)

Do dismiss the bulletin board at first! If you really want to do some missions from there, do only data transport or cargo transport. Data transport is best for you. The do not need Cargo Hold at all and you can take several missions at once that way.

Do some bounty hunting first to get some money! Try a ressource extraction site (RES) with low. Those are in rings around planets most of the time. Bring with you a kill warrant scanner and scan enemy ships. If they are wanted, engage! Do not tackle Python, Anaconda, Dropship, Assault Ship yet if you do not have significant help in form of authorities.

Switch ships from Sidewinder to Eagle to Viper and try to upgrade those to A rated modules. (expensive!)

If you have a spare module slot or you are not intending to trade, take a fuel scoop with you. With it you can scoop fuel out of stars. :)

Regarding the route: Look left, switch to transactions and in the detail view of the mission you have "open in galaxy map" to the right. If you click this and switch back to the first tab and open the galaxy map, this system is selected and you can add a route to it easily. ;)
Try to setup the galaxy map navigation to you liking. It SUCKS in VR without configuration! I use the stick to rotate and pan the camera. To move the selector I use the hat on the throttle. Z-axis is one of the wheels on the throttle. With proper control on the galaxy map it's much more easy. Do not use the mouse. This is confusing as fuck :D

Thanks, I'm following your advice...however, am I supposed to see contacts at low RES? I've been siting at one for a while, but no dice.

EDIT: Ah, I needed to get closer to the waypoint for the RES. So I started collecting bounties, and everything was going good..until the Federation defense just randomly decided to kill me for no reason? I was only attacking ships that said "Wanted" in the target scanner...what the hell. I guess I don't have very much luck with this game. And then all my bounties I'd collected were gone when I respawned, of course.

DrBo42

Thanks, I'm following your advice...however, am I supposed to see contacts at low RES? I've been siting at one for a while, but no dice.

EDIT: Ah, I needed to get closer to the waypoint for the RES. So I started collecting bounties, and everything was going good..until the Federation defense just randomly decided to kill me for no reason? I was only attacking ships that said "Wanted" in the target scanner...what the hell. I guess I don't have very much luck with this game. And then all my bounties I'd collected were gone when I respawned, of course.

There are some things to look out for when bounty hunting. #1 would be other ships crossing into your firing line. #2 is to absolutely make sure your scan of a ship completely resolves before you open fire. You may see them firing on someone and know they're wanted but if you fire on them before the scan confirms it, you'll be wanted as well.

Pomerlaw

I have another option if you want to get money. Once you have the money, buy a Hauler, then do Courrier missions. Once you have some money, upgrade it with better cargo space, FSD etc but don't waste money on weapons. Underrated little ship, you can get some crazy builds for exploration or smuggling for dirt cheap!!!

Then look for Community Goals where you need to make some cargo transports. Join them and do at least a few runs to get the minimum tier. This can be a really good option for starting player who don't have time / will to grind.

Do this and soon you will be in a Cobra. (My Mercenary Skin Cobra below...)

fbei7BH.png

Seiru

Banned
There are some things to look out for when bounty hunting. #1 would be other ships crossing into your firing line. #2 is to absolutely make sure your scan of a ship completely resolves before you open fire. You may see them firing on someone and know they're wanted but if you fire on them before the scan confirms it, you'll be wanted as well.

Oh, you know what. That makes sense. Normally I'm a bit too trigger happy because the security force is about to murder whoever I want the bounty on.

Oh, you know what. That makes sense. Normally I'm a bit too trigger happy because the security force is about to murder whoever I want the bounty on.
this doesn't matter. As long as you hit him the within the last (I'm not entirely sure about the amount) 10 seconds before he dies you get your money regardless who did the final shot! With that said, if you see a big ship that is fighting with authorities, wait for it to nearly die and shoot it at least once to get even this big bounty! :)

Jedi2016

I have another option if you want to get money. Once you have the money, buy a Hauler, then do Courrier missions. Once you have some money, upgrade it with better cargo space, FSD etc but don't waste money on weapons. Underrated little ship, you can get some crazy builds for exploration or smuggling for dirt cheap!!!

Then look for Community Goals where you need to make some cargo transports. Join them and do at least a few runs to get the minimum tier. This can be a really good option for starting player who don't have time / will to grind.

Do this and soon you will be in a Cobra.
Yup. The Cobra was my go-to ship for the longest time. It could haul, it could fight, really good all-rounder on your way up to the endgame.

Finally got the rank to buy a Federal Corvette. I don't have the money to buy it though but I am able to do so now :D Bought myself an ASP again after using the Python I just bought. I do not like the Python as a trading/travelling vessel but I do keep it for mining. Therefore it's awesome I think.

Finally got the rank to buy a Federal Corvette. I don't have the money to buy it though but I am able to do so now :D Bought myself an ASP again after using the Python I just bought. I do not like the Python as a trading/travelling vessel but I do keep it for mining. Therefore it's awesome I think.

You'll like the Python more in 2.1. It's still the ship with the biggest internal compartments that can land on a medium pad. Add on the Jump range and thruster mods and you'll have perhaps the best/most versatile trading ship in the game.

Seiru

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys, got enough to buy my second ship, and now I've saving up for a third!

VR really makes this game. It was sitting on my hard drive for so long, but now that I have my Rift, it's all I want to play. There is really something special about sitting in your ship, and looking up to see the inside of a space station rotating around you.

Thanks for the tips guys, got enough to buy my second ship, and now I've saving up for a third!

VR really makes this game. It was sitting on my hard drive for so long, but now that I have my Rift, it's all I want to play. There is really something special about sitting in your ship, and looking up to see the inside of a space station rotating around you.

Agree.

For me it's like my dk2 and elite are tied together. I play elite in vr only and elite is the almost only game I play in vr haha.

@ python: I'm not so sure about this. I can mod the fsd of my asp as well ;) but yeah, if I can get the Python to 32ly with shields and stuff perhaps I'll switch again.

On the other hand I hope modding cargo will be possible as well. 50 percent increase would be cool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

What, what option is this where you can "turn PP off"?

la_briola

Looking down at the throttle (or stick) and pushing it forward never gets old, ghost limbs* are scary fun; also the stations are MASSIVE in VR.

*not sure what to call it

It is especially great if you look at your left arm ingame and it moves (idle movement) without you moving your arm. It gets me every now and then.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
They mentioned in the live stream a way to go incognito to avoid constant harassment. A future feature apparently.

Huh, that might actually make pledging to a power possible for an explorer like me. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it when they implement it , and if it works like it sounds it should, that would be cool.

Effect

They mentioned in the live stream a way to go incognito to avoid constant harassment. A future feature apparently.

I hope so. That and supposedly making home systems safer will be welcome changes. I shouldn't be interdicted when I'm in the Rhea system itself if I'm allied with Winters. That has never made any damn sense to me. I like PP but how it was setup made it very annoying to the point I've considered just leaving my faction at times. I hope 2.1 comes soon. Really looking forward to finally playing again.

derFeef

Finally got it working with the Vive, it's not perfect, hopefully they patch it soon, but I can see the potential. Taking off from a planet made me a bit uneasy ;)
Need to install voice attack since I play with M+KB as well.

I am returning to this game now that I am settling down with my Vive. Can someone recommend a good control scheme? I have a Thrustmaster X HOTAS that I need to set up. Since the keyboard is kinda off limits in VR, I need help with button mapping.

Jedi2016

Eh, that's not so bad, especially when you're right down on the surface. The rocks help break it up, too. Without the lines, you'd be a lot more hard-pressed to see it.

I'm gonna be working on the 1.6/2.1 launch thread. If there are any specific vids or screens from the Engineers beta that you think should go in (esp stuff like comparisons), let me know and I'll incorporate them!

la_briola

Never did any Robigo runs, it seems I missed out... by a lot.

I was doing the slaves run when power play was available, but I guess I missed the best smuggling route. :lol

DrBo42

Never did any Robigo runs, it seems I missed out... by a lot.

I was doing the slaves run when power play was available, but I guess I missed the best smuggling route. :lol

Actually just died doing it. Was running full cargo racks in an Asp, no shields. Drop out of supercruise to dock and an anaconda drops out right in front of me, no more than 25 meters. Slam into it because I'm going too fast to avoid it. Instant death. Why something can drop out of supercruise in your flight path in that close of a proximity I'll never know. Another FD gonna FD moment.

Top Bottom