• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Ravager61

I think .8 apparently is working really well for Elite.

I got it working today but it wasn't that easy. Once I did finally get it working though, it works great. Much better than last time I tried with extended mode.

Note that you have to have a monitor able to display 75hz currently or else it judders real bad.

Wreav

Banned
Trying to re-enter a Vulture once you're on the surface is a special level of hell. They always park themselves so you just can't quite make it all the way to the boarding point.

PS3 Eye camera + FaceTrackNoIR is fucking AMAZING. After much tweaking this thing approximates the TrackIR features of the game to a close enough degree that it's an absolute must for anybody with one of those things still laying around or even buying one since they're like $7 shipped and the driver is $2

SmartBase

I think to games that have some of the more rewarding "side missions" (like The Witcher 3) and it discourages me, because realistically, we'll never get to that point. TW3 is a hand-crafted experience and the side missions mattered--if not to me, then to the NPC, at the very least. I don't see missions becoming more *meaningful* until NPCs are properly added to the game, but at least they can give us some good payouts for laborious or tedious missions.

A big part of it is that the missions just aren't that rewarding. This isn't a "carrot on stick" wish--I mean, craving a rewarding or fulfilling experience isn't far removed from being a basic human desire. If the only way to do that in ED is with a bigger payout, then they should do it.

I also wouldn't mind getting rare or upgraded internal modules as rewards, too. Something like MMOs:

OR, the super-rare chance for a super-rare reward/opportunity...

Either chance of these things happening=me playing a lot of missions.

I feel like FD sometimes overthinks these things when they should just be looking over the fence to see how other games have already solved these problems.

They really should start looking at environmental storytelling as well, where are all the ancient ruins (human or otherwise) and other cool mysteries? They've teased those useless Unknown Artefacts for so long it's lost its charm ages ago. It's obvious they're not going for the whole "messiah on a grand quest" route with their missions, but a little bit more of the unknown couldn't hurt.

They really should start looking at environmental storytelling as well, where are all the ancient ruins (human or otherwise) and other cool mysteries? They've teased those useless Unknown Artefacts for so long it's lost its charm ages ago. It's obvious they're not going for the whole "messiah on a grand quest" route with their missions, but a little bit more of the unknown couldn't hurt.

Exactly. It's like they're so hard-nosed on sticking to simulations/procedure-based gameplay, when the game could use a lot more unique, experience-catered gameplay.

I am so tempted to go and buy this to use with the DK2 I have. I played Elite: Dangerous for awhile and liked it, it just didn't have the content that I wanted. I bought it though because I expected it to get there. This seems like a slap in the face of people like me considering we have to shell out another $40 for this "update." Do you all think that it is worth that investment? Or should I just wait until their next "update" comes along?

JambiBum

I am so tempted to go and buy this to use with the DK2 I have. I played Elite: Dangerous for awhile and liked it, it just didn't have the content that I wanted. I bought it though because I expected it to get there. This seems like a slap in the face of people like me considering we have to shell out another $40 for this "update." Do you all think that it is worth that investment? Or should I just wait until their next "update" comes along?

It's not just an "update". I really don't understand where people get that from. It's a substantial expansion on top of the base game that will be adding content throughout the year. It's not like the 40$ only gets you the planetary landing stuff, it gets you everything they add for the entire year. This is like saying having to pay for the diablo expansion or any other actual expansion for a game is a slap in the face because you had to pay for the base game as well. Waiting for the next expansion means that you would be waiting another year before playing the game. If you don't think there is value in paying 40$ for a year's worth of content on a game that you enjoy, then don't do it.

fred

Planetary landings is just the beginning. You're paying your money for a whole years worth of expansions. On the way are multi-crew ships, having fighters inside large ships, player avatars and probably more that I've forgotten about.

On a separate note I'm very glad to say that the iGPU in my 6700K is running Horizons at around 30fps driving around on the planet surfaces in 720p and Medium settings, I've also tweaked some of the settings so that I've got high quality textures in places.

I've been VERY impressed with the iGPU in the 6700K, it has REALLY surpassed my expectations by quite some way. And I haven't even overclocked it yet either :Oo

Kssio_Aug

So... you can land on every single planet?
I still haven't bought the game. It is on my wishlist for a while, but this makes the exploration feels much interesting.

So... you can land on every single planet?
I still haven't bought the game. It is on my wishlist for a while, but this makes the exploration feels much interesting.

You can land on every planet... that doesn't have an atmosphere.

Which to be fair is about 61% of all the planets in the game.

Kssio_Aug

You can land on every planet... that doesn't have an atmosphere.

Which to be fair is about 61% of all the planets in the game.

At about 61% of the planets doesn't have an atmosphere?
If so, than you can land in more than half of the planets in the game?

That would be enough for me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep, more than half, with most of the other ones coming later on. We'll never be able to land on gas giants because...they are gas giants. Volcanic planets are coming later this year, and atmospheres most likely next year. It's really damn cool though, I'm having a blast so far with Horizons.

Kssio_Aug

Yep, more than half, with most of the other ones coming later on. We'll never be able to land on gas giants because...they are gas giants. Volcanic planets are coming later this year, and atmospheres most likely next year. It's really damn cool though, I'm having a blast so far with Horizons.

Amazing! Well, I guess I'll buy it soon then. May just wait a Steam discount or put together some more money.

They are probably something on the order of more than a billion planets for you to land on today.

Yes, that will be enough for you.

*nods*

May just wait a Steam discount or put together some more money.

I imagine that may be a few months with it just launching.

FD did say they someday want CMDRs to be able to fly into the outer "atmosphere" to collect minerals or materials. Doubt we can go in farther before we get dropped or swept away...

I bought it. And I was one of the "damn, nothing really to do" people as well as a "shit, they are REALLY focusing on PVP when the mining system, quest system ... and every system except trading needs some love" people.

I figure I'll get my $45 out of it just like I did with the original. If you need guidance, direction, and a story to enjoy a game ... then it isn't for you. At all. There is no "Good job! Here's an X" or "Wow, thanks for getting this to me, here's a cutscene to show my appreciation". While good, This game REALLY made me realize that I love me some story driven gaming.

While I love racing games where it's much like ED where you repeat a certain basic set of commands over and over .... I couldn't really go anywhere besides asteroid fields and space stations to enjoy the flying model. When out in space does it really matter how your ship handles or it's the "best flying model" out there when there really isn't something to compare it to? If you aren't doing PVP and such the game really is 90% flying in a straight line.

And I still really enjoyed my time with it. Have a decked out Anaconda I haven't touched in a while as well as a Vulture I'm trying to figure out the best balance (having to hunt around for parts is really annoying though).

I figure with planets now, I'll be able to really enjoy flying the ships because I'll have a reference to something. Open space started really getting boring.

I won't have time to really dig into it for a couple weeks and unfortunately I couldn't get the DK2 working ... but I think I'll probably have a good time with it for a while.

fred

They are probably something on the order of more than a billion planets for you to land on today.

Yes, that will be enough for you.

*nods*

I imagine that may be a few months with it just launching.

It's actually A LOT more than that. I was trying to guesstimate it a few weeks back. There are over 400 billion star systems in the Milky Way. Whilst there are a good few with just 1-3 suns and nothing else, there are LOADS with 20+, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+ and even 70+ astronomical bodies.

I've always given in my calculations an average of 10 planets in the average star system...mainly because it makes the maths easier, I actually think that this is a low estimate tbh. Of those planets, 6 are landable.

6 x 400 billion star systems would make it 2.4 trillion planets that you're able to land on lol

I bought it. And I was one of the "damn, nothing really to do" people as well as a "shit, they are REALLY focusing on PVP when the mining system, quest system ... and every system except trading needs some love" people.

I figure I'll get my $45 out of it just like I did with the original. If you need guidance, direction, and a story to enjoy a game ... then it isn't for you. At all. There is no "Good job! Here's an X" or "Wow, thanks for getting this to me, here's a cutscene to show my appreciation". While good, This game REALLY made me realize that I love me some story driven gaming.

While I love racing games where it's much like ED where you repeat a certain basic set of commands over and over .... I couldn't really go anywhere besides asteroid fields and space stations to enjoy the flying model. When out in space does it really matter how your ship handles or it's the "best flying model" out there when there really isn't something to compare it to? If you aren't doing PVP and such the game really is 90% flying in a straight line.

And I still really enjoyed my time with it. Have a decked out Anaconda I haven't touched in a while as well as a Vulture I'm trying to figure out the best balance (having to hunt around for parts is really annoying though).

I figure with planets now, I'll be able to really enjoy flying the ships because I'll have a reference to something. Open space started really getting boring.

I won't have time to really dig into it for a couple weeks and unfortunately I couldn't get the DK2 working ... but I think I'll probably have a good time with it for a while.

I did enjoy the first one. I'm just trying to gage how much more enjoyment I'm going to get out of this new one after enjoying the last one a lot with the DK2. Is the DK2 not working so well with Horizons?

It's not just an "update". I really don't understand where people get that from. It's a substantial expansion on top of the base game that will be adding content throughout the year. It's not like the 40$ only gets you the planetary landing stuff, it gets you everything they add for the entire year. This is like saying having to pay for the diablo expansion or any other actual expansion for a game is a slap in the face because you had to pay for the base game as well. Waiting for the next expansion means that you would be waiting another year before playing the game. If you don't think there is value in paying 40$ for a year's worth of content on a game that you enjoy, then don't do it.

I get what you are saying. However, I may be wrong, but wasn't a lot of this said to be in the original? The original was relatively barebones as well. The game was good before, but it never felt like there was a ton to do. Now there is a lot more to do, but that is hated by this new purchase.

Burny

I get what you are saying. However, I may be wrong, but wasn't a lot of this said to be in the original? The original was relatively barebones as well. The game was good before, but it never felt like there was a ton to do. Now there is a lot more to do, but that is hated by this new purchase.

Which original? The 1984 one? No, that didn't have planetary landings. A later one (early 90s?) had them.

If you mean the "Season 1", as promised by the kickstarter, no that wasn't supposed to have planetary landings. Or any other of the features announced for season 2. It was barebones and arguably still is in many respects. But they were always open that many things are going to be paid addons.

ED Kickstarter said:
The initial release of Elite: Dangerous doesn't mark the end of development. We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add leaving the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own.

The main reason for treating these as expansions is so we can approach these with the proper development resources that we require to do them well. We don't plan or desire to just tick a box, we want to make these additions something significant.

Another avenue we intend to explore is other platforms, but for now the focus is very much on the Windows PC release. Only once the initial game is done will we start to look at other platforms.

Really big expansions are likely to be paid for while we also intend for some smaller free updates. If you have pledged to to £80 tier or above you will receive all expansions for free.

Everybody has to determine for themselves at which point the game meets their personal requirements for having (deep) enough features to be motivating. But it's a bit unrealisitc to think that major updates will just come for free. By the looks of it at the moment, their plan to sustain the game is to sell a full priced addon season about each year, that will give its players exclusive features, while they will still be able to play with others from the earlier seasons.

Frankly, I suspect the season construct is a bit of a crudge to generate revenue early, when the "full" season simply is not done. Hence the "early access" label for Horizons. Like that practice or not (you can just buy into it at the end of the season then and get it all at once, most likely discounted), it's still a self published niche game and probably wouldn't last all too long without such continued funding.

Got real greedy and lost like a good 10 mil in bounties because I was taking screens and my life support ran out literally meters from the station entrance.... Oh well, the no atmosphere/shattered hud dog fight in an asteroid field was intense enough to have been worth it.

highresscreenshot_2018arau.png

highresscreenshot_2011ooli.png

It has been known that planetray landings would be a paid addon from back in the Kickstarter (?), at the very least alpha/beta days.

Expecting a year worth of updates to be free is making you look rather condescending. Also expecting things to come a year before they're done is fruitless. When they aren't they aren't.

Which is the case for a lot of things were Elite is concerned - another topic - but it does help to read up least on the basic information before expecting something to be free.

Again, compared to other products on the market - it doesn't seem like a good deal to me personally. How is that condescending?

Burny

Again, compared to other products on the market - it doesn't seem like a good deal to me personally. How is that condescending?

If something is not a good deal to you, you don't buy it. You don't expect to get it for free.

But if all the other products you're using, that are in the luxurious position to push out major addons for free, are scratching your space game itch, have fun with them.

Few people will argue that Elite doesn't lack features. It indeed does, often even severely, compared to many other games. Most have the decency not to think they should get a year's worth of dev effort from Frontier for free though.

If something is not a good deal to you, you don't buy it. You don't expect to get it for free.

But if all the other products you're using, that are in the luxurious position to push out major addons for free, are scratching your space game itch, have fun with them.

Few people will argue that Elite doesn't lack features. It indeed does, often even severely, compared to many other games. Most have the decency not to think they should get a year's worth of dev effort from Frontier for free though.

I disagree completely and think that this is a very bad business model compared to expanding your player base and pulling more people in via free feature updates, but that is obviously a much more complex discussion than the scope of this thread.

I'm not going to buy it, and I was pretty disappointed in the base game. I was hoping the game would improve significantly over time, which is why I feel its ridiculous that these feature updates cost even more money. I simply didn't feel I got my money's worth to begin with, and now I'm expected to pay even more? Fuck that. Again, I have no idea why you seem so offended over this.

JambiBum

What other products on the market are anything like Elite besides Star Citizen? Even then, SC is so far from getting a real 1.0 release (regardless of the fact that they are calling the buggy mess that is the PTU, 2.0) that it isn't really fair to compare the two yet. The only game I can really think of that has had a similar type of release to Elite is Destiny and people paid full expansion prices for the DLC in that game without really batting an eye. Granted The Taken King did a lot of things right when it released, but it was pretty barren content wise until then. I'm not usually one to get into the value debate when it comes to games because it's usually pretty pointless but trying to compare other games on the market to elite when there are none that are currently released that are anything like it in size or scope is ridiculous.

Granted it's your money and if you don't find the value in it for yourself then that's your choice and there's nothing wrong with that. I really only took issue with the comparison statement because I always find trying to compare the value of one game to another to be a silly comparison.

dumbo

I disagree completely and think that this is a very bad business model compared to expanding your player base and pulling more people in via free feature updates, but that is obviously a much more complex discussion than the scope of this thread.

Someone needs to pay developers to work on the game - the idea of 'pulling more people in' is fine if you have a monthly fee or P2W microtransactions, but there is no way to cover a full development team working on a title forever via tail-end sales at $15.

Burny

Again, I have no idea why you seem so offended over this.

That is the problem.

We should really go and contact Frontier. They need to know that we don't think the classical payment model for their addon is appropriate, when we feel they offer so little content compared to <insert other successful game addon here>. Why should we have to pay then? It's really ridiculous that they don't take the gamble to offer all those updates for free, hoping to hit the critical mass to sustain their niche game by expanding the player base that way. Screw that old fashioned pricing model of paying people for work! More free stuff for us!

Bad form if you ask me.

That is the problem.

We should really go and contact Frontier. They need to know that we don't think the classical payment model for their addon is appropriate, when we feel they offer so little content compared to <insert other successful game addon here>. Why should we have to pay then? It's really ridiculous that they don't take the gamble to offer all those updates for free, hoping to hit the critical mass to sustain their niche game by expanding the player base that way. Screw that old fashioned pricing model of paying people for work! More free stuff for us!

The base game doesn't have enough content for me. Elite is a disappointing product that felt like a tech demo. End of story. Not sure I see the point of your sarcasm either. Why would we do that? I just don't want to pay them more money for this game.

As mentioned above, same thing with Destiny. Luckily I did not buy that game. While Elite did feel amazing (especially the audio design) and I had a lot of fun learning the mechanics, there just wasn't enough to do after the first few hours. I did not enjoy trading or doing missions whatsoever, it felt completely random. The only progression I found in the game was to hunt pirates in order to get better ships, and that also felt completely random with some kills granting me next to nothing and then suddenly I get several million for assisting on an Anaconda kill without having to play better or learn new stuff at all. Its a really stupid system and just made me go "huh..." and pretty much stop playing the game after getting a couple of upgraded ships. Thus, again - I shelved the game for now hoping to jump back in when there was more stuff to do and more balanced systems. I was not ready to pay upwards of 200 dollars in the long run (which it appears one is expected to do) for this game. Apparently I should have researched more, but requesting that I know what was said in the Kickstarter makes no sense since I wasn't a part of it and bought the game once it was released.

Someone needs to pay developers to work on the game - the idea of 'pulling more people in' is fine if you have a monthly fee or P2W microtransactions, but there is no way to cover a full development team working on a title forever via tail-end sales at $15.

Personally asking people to put like £30 or whatever it is down for an expansion, and hoping the content they promise is actually delivered throughout the year feels a bit wrong to me. I know it's technically a season pass but to me as someone who bought the base game on day 1, a much better approach would of been a season pass for the year that costs say £20, and then at the end of next year you can buy the complete "horizon" expansion for like 30-35 or something. The upfront cost for this for me is like the same price I bought the original game for, when at this point, it doesn't offer a whole lot more.

That's just my take anyway. I'll definitely get the expansion, but I might just wait it out for the time being.

StonedRider

Updated the game yesterday and did my first landing despite having just about hour of playtime. It's great so far! That feeling of huge empty space, the scale of the game is much more evident when you can go out of your ship and drive in SRV sitting just couple of meters above ground. I think I can drive the whole day and do not get bored of it.

Is there any way to refuel your SRV besides crafting? I did not pay close attention to materials yet and spent half of my fuel tank just driving around small crater near my landing place. What should I do if I've ran out of fuel and lack of materials to refuel? Can I refuel SRV on a station?

Sorc3r3r

As much as I want to avoid gaming on PC, this game, this game is slowly pushing me over my own will, lol.

But starting a new pc from scratch just to play this, it's too much, my wife would kill me, XD.

Burny

I was not ready to pay upwards of 200 dollars in the long run (which it appears one is expected to do) for this game.

Then don't. Come back in a couple of years, see if you're still interested and if it's enough for you by then and buy into whatever season is then ailable. That will give you all the features added in the meantime, if they follow their current model.

Don't expect me to have much sympathy for you coming into an addon OT openly stating that you'd expect the things a dev has worked on and will work on in the meantime for free.

And yes, this is an expensive game that may give you far less value in pure dev effort than any of those high profile games out there. Either live with it and come for constructive criticism - like what exactly would the game need to keep you engaged - or go ask Blizzard, Rockstar, Valve or any other of the high profile devs out there to start making space games. Sure, GTA 5 positively trounces Elite in terms of available content, no doubt about that. Diablo receives huge free updates. Dota 2 or HotS are completely f2p. Which of those are space sims again? If you just happen to not care as much about space games, then at least consider by which standard you measure the available ones.

Have you considered that - just maybe - if something is not in the game after a certain time, other than being attributable to the dev's incompetence or greed, which is quiet well possible - it might also simply be due to the limits the devs are working with? Manpower, budget, potential target audience?

Expecting the devs to ask for less money is surely the way to expand the game further.

Personally asking people to put like £30 or whatever it is down for an expansion, and hoping the content they promise is actually delivered throughout the year feels a bit wrong to me. I know it's technically a season pass but to me as someone who bought the base game on day 1, a much better approach would of been a season pass for the year that costs say £20, and then at the end of next year you can buy the complete "horizon" expansion for like 30-35 or something. The upfront cost for this for me is like the same price I bought the original game for, when at this point, it doesn't offer a whole lot more.

It is actually quiet understandable that this model may feel abusive. You pay the full price up front, but not all the goods will be delivered until about a year later. I'm suspecting this is more of a concession to the fact that what they want to do, they simply can't do in a year's time, but still need the funding to do it. It's a form of "early access" without the discount for the early adopters. But it's also a form of quasi subscription for an online game that doesn't ask for an actual time based subscription. If you don't think supporting the dev with the current price point is worth it, just consider waiting for a discount on Horizons at the end of next year, when season 3 is probably about to start. That way you don't pay as much, still support the dev a little, but get to play the game anyway.

As much as I want to avoid gaming on PC, this game, this game is slowly pushing me over my own will, lol.

But starting a new pc from scratch just to play this, it's too much, my wife would kill me, XD.

It's on Xbox One as well. The Horizon content is not though. Not yet.

sirap

Spent the entire day cruising and visiting different ports, and I really wish we could own one of our own. Make it incredibly expensive, and the only way you could afford one is to band together and create your own clan.

StonedRider

Actually, ED is the game I've built my gaming PC for. And I'm so glad I've returned to the world of PC gaming, there is so much great games here. Civilization 5, Cities Skylines, Kerbal Space Program, even good old MS Flight Simulator. Games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 60 fps on high settings on my TV. I did not turn on my PS4 after Bloodborne.

But I'm divorced - that's a game changer :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
We should really go and contact Frontier. They need to know that we don't think the classical payment model for their addon is appropriate, when we feel they offer so little content compared to <insert other successful game addon here>. Why should we have to pay then? It's really ridiculous that they don't take the gamble to offer all those updates for free, hoping to hit the critical mass to sustain their niche game by expanding the player base that way.

Eh, Frontier isn't a huge developer with lots of games making money, and Elite is a huge passion project for them, but it ain't a cheap game to make. Sad fact is that making a game like Elite costs lots of money. Personally, for myself, I think the game is well worth the $45 per year, so far anyway. That equals out to $3.75 per month extrapolated, and I damn well get my $4 worth out of the game as it is, ESPECIALLY now with planet landings and what all else is coming this year.

Then don't. Come back in a couple of years, see if you're still interested and if it's enough for you by then and buy into whatever season is then ailable. That will give you all the features added in the meantime, if they follow their current model.

Don't expect me to have much sympathy for you coming into an addon OT openly stating that you'd expect the things a dev has worked on and will work on in the meantime for free.

And yes, this is an expensive game that may give you far less value in pure dev effort than any of those high profile games out there. Either live with it and come for constructive criticism - like what exactly would the game need to keep you engaged - or go ask Blizzard, Rockstar, Valve or any other of the high profile devs out there to start making space games. Sure, GTA 5 positively trounces Elite in terms of available content, no doubt about that. Diablo receives huge free updates. Dota 2 or HotS are completely f2p. Which of those are space sims again? If you just happen to not care as much about space games, then at least consider by which standard you measure the available ones.

Have you considered that - just maybe - if something is not in the game after a certain time, other than being attributable to the dev's incompetence or greed, which is quiet well possible - it might also simply be due to the limits the devs are working with? Manpower, budget, potential target audience?

Expecting the devs to ask for less money is surely the way to expand the game further.

I just don't understand your reasoning at all. You're jumping to completely inane conclusions and building up a whole slew of strawman arguments left and right.

The game is simply not very fun to play compared to other games that are competing for my time. I expected more from the game than I got when I purchased it. All I said in this thread was literally what you are saying - that I shouldn't buy this expansion if I don't think it's worth the asking price. I don't want or need your sympathy, I just have a hard time understanding why it offends you that I'm not satisfied with the value this game provides.

The main reason I'm not arguing about specific features for constructive feedback is because they are already doing what I was hoping they would. Planetary exploration sounds like an amazing thing, but it should have been there from the start or at least added via a free update to make sense to me as a consumer.

As you point out, the space sim genre isn't very large as of right now, and I guess your argument is essentially "beggars can't be choosers"? I have a huge interest in the genre and what little entertainment there is/was in Elite: Dangerous was definitely right up my alley. Still, this and Star Citizen aren't exactly a good look for the future of space sim business models for me and I'm sure a lot of other people. I'm not going to pretend that I know what their business situation is, but honestly as a consumer I just don't care. Either you present me with a product worth my time or I don't bother playing it. Nothing more to it aside from, you know, discussing the topic on message boards.

I am actually very patient about stuff like this and don't mind waiting for new features whatsoever. Diablo 3 was a complete mess at launch but has evolved into a very enjoyable game over time. I am perfectly fine with that. So that leaves the money issue, and I guess maybe it just wasn't making enough profit for them to grow the game with a more consumer-friendly business model (at least I hope that's the reason they adopted it). But regardless of that - it doesn't matter to me what their budget looks like. If all of the previous updates are included in later seasons and the price stays the same then I will gladly pay for it once the game has enough interesting mechanics, but until then this just isn't for me. I guess I should be retroactively thankful that other people took the plunge if it turns out that way? Not sure what you are asking for.

Effect

Planetary tech, no matter the game, is pure sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

That however is the video equivalent of a bullshot and not to be believed. It's a cut scene. Not something to be amazed by because other developers have pulled that BS before countless times. I say not to be believed as well because Star Citizen right now runs like ass, and has for a very long time and that was smooth as hell which screams massive fake to me. Not something that should be praised or fallen for.

The idea is indeed nice and and being able to transition into atmosphere is a good one. I'll save praise for when a game actually does it for real.

I actually still haven't played Horizons--had some tech issues last night, but gonna try tonight.

The transition from orbital cruise to glide looks MUCH smoother now, though. It's so close to seamless.

Now do supercruise, FD.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what's done with it. People are going crazy over that SC vid, but when it comes to procedural generation, it kinda feels like FD ate their lunch. I'm not impressed with the procgen tech, at least until we see more than a video that just flies over it.

This reminds me that I need to go find a station near Rhea that sells a Diamondback Scout (can't afford an Explorer). I really like the view point of the cockpit. I want do do a lot of planet/moon side stuff and I can barely see it when I'm flying in my Cobra Mk III. I like the interior but it doesn't have a good view.

Also going to try and see how well I can fly with a Xbox 360 controller tonight. Anyone had any look with it or an Xbox One controller? Thoughts on combat and how long it took you to get used to it?

DrBo42

That however is the video equivalent of a bullshot and not to be believed. It's a cut scene. Not something to be amazed by because other developers have pulled that BS before countless times. I say not to be believed as well because Star Citizen right now runs like ass, and has for a very long time and that was smooth as hell which screams massive fake to me. Not something that should be praised or fallen for.

The idea is indeed nice and and being able to transition into atmosphere is a good one. I'll save praise for when a game actually does it for real.

Uh. They did it 2 more times after that didn't they? It's not a cutscene...

Effect

Uh. They did it 2 more times after that didn't they? It's not a cutscene...
On a dev machine likely with the actual engine itself. This is in no way an example of it being real or reflective of how it might actually be. I can understand the average person going gaga over this. This is a hardcore gaming forum where we've seen this happen before. We've seen companies fake demo presentations before and pretend like they're actually playing live! We've seen companies and devs purposefully lie to our faces repeatedly. We should know better and always approach stuff like this with a caution. Yes it's jaded but history regarding this industry has shown us you must be jaded about what is presented to you no matter how it looks. The only time you take something at face value is after a LOT of trust has been built up. Regardless if you like Star Citizen or not CIG has never come close to earning that level of trust and don't have it. In fact very few companies in the industry has earned that and they likely can be counted on a single hand.

Burny

Eh, Frontier isn't a huge developer with lots of games making money, and Elite is a huge passion project for them, but it ain't a cheap game to make. Sad fact is that making a game like Elite costs lots of money. Personally, for myself, I think the game is well worth the $45 per year, so far anyway. That equals out to $3.75 per month extrapolated, and I damn well get my $4 worth out of the game as it is, ESPECIALLY now with planet landings and what all else is coming this year.

That was meant to be sarcasm. ;)

I'm not going to pretend that I know what their business situation is, but honestly as a consumer I just don't care.

You made that pretty clear.

Neither of us knows exactly how their situation and outlook is, but a blind man with a stick can count 1&1 together and deduce that Elite isn't exactly the triple A video gaming behemoth. To measure them by it is a bit naive. Or rather, if we all insisted on our entitlement as customer, the landscape for Elite and SC might be a different one.

Wreav

Banned
I'll be pretty clear...if I was anything but a beta backer, I'd be pretty miffed at how FD is delivering updates to ED. Day 1 of 2.0 brings hardly any gameplay depth; after you've landed on one dead rock, you've pretty much landed on them all. POIs are terribly implemented on the surface, missions still blow goats, Powerplay is still broken, and the list goes on and on. Paying money upfront on a yearly basis is a fairly terrible business practice from the customer prospective.

Not to mention FD can't market their game correctly to save their life, leaving those newcomers feeling cheated and confused about what they're actually getting for their money.

Do we have any other X55 Rhino users here? I'm hoping to get some binding tips. I got it right before I stopped playing ED on PC for a bit (distracted by ED X1 and other games) and never really full configured my bindings--I previously had a Thrustmaster HOTAS X.

Any guides or recommendations for bindings? The main problem I have is that Saitek uses letters to identify inputs on the actual HOTAS, but ED uses "JOY 1" "JOY 2" etc. It's not always apparently what is bound by defaul, so I figured I'd just rebind everything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So this suddenly landed on Steam with the 25% discount..should I get it I wonder? AMD fix seems to be dropping relatively soon too and being able to cruise around on planets is hot stuff.
Is Horizons just gonna focus on planetary landings or is there more stuff being added throughout the year?

So this suddenly landed on Steam with the 25% discount..should I get it I wonder? AMD fix seems to be dropping relatively soon too and being able to cruise around on planets is hot stuff.
Is Horizons just gonna focus on planetary landings or is there more stuff being added throughout the year?

More stuff throughout the year--check the last part of OP 1.

Akronis

And having consumers pay $60 for the promise of a year of "good" content is an easy way to lose a customer base.

The game feels just straight unfinished. They added features with Horizon, but they don't amount to anything.

There is literally 0 player agency in ED.

That's not how "literally" works :p The player has plenty of agency. Owning a ship and flying wherever you want=shit ton of agency.

If you're saying that player's actions/impacts need to be more meaningful in the game, I agree. I think FD went too far in the "lonely speck of space dust" direction and needs to pivot a bit. With planets now, we should be able to build settlements. We should be able to have our own hangars and ship transportation services. We should be able to *actually* enlist in a career. We should have NPCs to develop relationships with. And so on.

Top Bottom