• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

- I need to play Horizons on Steam instead of using the original game?
No. You can, if you generate a Steam Key through Frontier's store (3rd party keys or so), but you don't have to.

- But I do log into my Elite Account anyway so why?
They offer steam keys for convenience. They have to pay shares of your future purchases, skins, bobbleheads etc., on their store to Valve, if you generated a key however.

- Can I uninstall the original client?
Yes. It's a folder in the installation directory, next to Horizons.

- Can I still play with my girlfriend who only has the base game (so far)?
Lucky you! :D Yes, you can. She will play on the Elite client (32 or 64 bit) and you will play on the Horizons client (64 bit only). This is "1.5" as vanilla update and "2.0" as Horizons update respectively. The players will see each other, but vanilla players will obviously not be able to approach planets as well as use other 2.0 exclusive features.

- How? With Horizons Client? With both?
See above.

Edit: beaten. ^^

Onikaan

Hello, CMDR Mostly Useless here. Wondering if you guys could help me out?

Id like to explore a bit and sell the data. What kind of equipment do I need to do so, and how do I obtain that data? I'm piloting a Diamondback explorer right now.

Thanks.

Keasar

I have a really hard time getting back into this game

I go to the mission board, find a mission for 70K credits that says required rank to do is "Mostly Harmless" and I think that it should be doable.

Then it turns out the fucker always have a Anaconda and my Viper ship gets ripped apart instantly.

I am honestly at a loss at what I am supposed to do in this game. The missions are all impossible for me for some reason and has a shitty payout. Flying around suns grinding marked targets is only fun for 20 minutes. Trading is boring when there is combat. I don't know what to do. All I have been doing the last couple of days is loose money on insurance and repairing my ship.

Bit late and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but this has cinema ads in the UK.

Played in front of both Sisters and Star Wars this past week. Was quite surprising to see.

Burny

I am honestly at a loss at what I am supposed to do in this game. The missions are all impossible for me for some reason and has a shitty payout. Flying around suns grinding marked targets is only fun for 20 minutes. Trading is boring when there is combat. I don't know what to do. All I have been doing the last couple of days is loose money on insurance and repairing my ship.

Therefore the best advice to give to anybody who hasn't at least progressed to a well equipped ship (a well equipped Cobra (~2m credits) as lowest barrier of entry), is to ignore all but a few missions. The only missions worth taking for a start are smuggling missions. Those, that give you the cargo and require you to haul them somewhere. Those offer reasonable payout for the invested time. Provided you've upgraded your FSD appropriately, otherwise you may find you can't even reach the target system for a mission.

Much more convenient, especially in a Viper, is bounty hunting. Go to the system's NAV beacon (near the sun), scan all ships and help system authority kill the wanted ones. Even better is high RES hunting (resource extraction site, in planetary rings that aren't icy ones). Never open fire on a ship before the scan is not complete, even if all other ships are doing so! Otherwise the authorities are going to hunt you down. A single sidewinder kill may give you ~8k credits. Anything bigger - where you might have to rely on the system authorities to do the lion's share of the damage - may get you 10s of thousands of credits. Up to 300k, if it's a FDL in a high RES.

Good hunting! ;)

(I've given this advise so many times, I really hope they sort out the progression path their missions offer at some point. At the moment, they simply don't offer a reasonable path of progression.)

So, Bi Weave shield generator only exists as C as best class? If so then nice, that will fit my Vulture just fine I guess. And less power problems yay

Qasiel

^^ Completely agreeing with Burny.

I started my Bounty Hunting career in a Viper and it's allowed me to fully kit it out, buy a Vulture (kit that out) and eventually an Asp that I wanna have in reserve for exploring one day.

It can be tedious, trying to find a ship that's Wanted in an area, but it's great combat experience which you can also use to your advantage if you ever happen to be in a system that's in Civil War (for Conflict Zones). It allowed me to grind me Combat rank to Dangerous and now I'm offered missions that are much higher paid and if I'm hunting pirates for those it gives me even more cash in bounties.

The skills pay the bills.

Can you make good bank from exploration data? I kind of want a new ship but I don't fancy the combat or trading grind right now. I'm enjoying randomly jumping around the outer reaches of the galaxy to see what I can find though so will probably be coming back with data and I'm hoping for more than just a few thousand.

Carcetti

God, this game still has some annoying issues. I wanted to finally try mining and got all the basic gear easily except collector limpet controller. Now I've visited 10+ stations and none of them sell this basic piece of gear. Why? Why do I have to go from station to station instead of looking for the system databases like in EVE?

God, this game still has some annoying issues. I wanted to finally try mining and got all the basic gear easily except collector limpet controller. Now I've visited 10+ stations and none of them sell this basic piece of gear. Why? Why do I have to go from station to station instead of looking for the system databases like in EVE?

Not that I won't argue that it's frustrating not knowing where to look for ships and equipment (I understand why commodity prices are hidden), your best bet is to look for a larger population high-tech system, which is likely to have everything you need.

sirap

I go to the mission board, find a mission for 70K credits that says required rank to do is "Mostly Harmless" and I think that it should be doable.

Then it turns out the fucker always have a Anaconda and my Viper ship gets ripped apart instantly.

I wiped my save just for kicks, and decided I was going to yolo the shit out of my sidewinder. Jumped to the nearest system with a resource extraction site, spent 30 minutes hunting down ships with the help of the federation and netted 130,000 in return. That's probably the fastest way to make cash, at least until you could afford some of the bigger ships.

fred

Head to a Low Intensity RES, easy way to make money. There are always authority ships there and the pirates that turn up are easy to beat. You should also spend some time doing the combat training missions too.

Cargo and data runs are also easy ways to make money too.

And most importantly, know when to run and when to stand and fight.

Saganator

Use this website... saves you a lot of time.

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/equipment/

ED is great, but I really wish there was a GalaxyNet or something that negated the need for a second screen for this game.

Qasiel

I use (and contribute to) EDDB which has been pretty useful, especially for trading loops. The only downside is that you have to use a browser which takes you away from the gameplay somewhat, but it's still a useful tool.

I just started teaching a friend how to play. Man I wish I could just upload my brain into his. I'm trying to introduce concepts in a digestible rate. I'm trying to remember what it was like at that stage and I knew nothing. He didn't watch the training videos, but at least I got him to do the tutorials.

638F11CC31D3F7847805DF36D4D63FA67471514F

I chose the Imperial Courier so I'd have a good enough ship to deal with NPC that might give him a hard time but not so big that he feels useless.

thank you both. So it's only confusing within steam. damn :( :D

Yes, they could have done a much better job with it. Here's my story:

I originally bought ED when it released on Steam and I preordered Horizons back in May from their website. So ED on Steam was downloading an 8 GB update. I thought cool that must be an update+Horizons, so after I play and I realized it was still just vanilla. So I go to their website and just download the Horizon client straight from there. Every time it got to sync files around 50% or so it would stop working and say something is wrong with my connection, I tried this five times before I gave up. Finally, I just got my Steam code from them and downloaded the 6 GB Horizons for Steam. This finally worked. Now I can actually play!

I wiped my save just for kicks, and decided I was going to yolo the shit out of my sidewinder. Jumped to the nearest system with a resource extraction site, spent 30 minutes hunting down ships with the help of the federation and netted 130,000 in return. That's probably the fastest way to make cash, at least until you could afford some of the bigger ships.

This is where all the money is in the beginning. I haven't played in a week or so because I had spent about an hour earning just over 1million in bounties, just as I was docking my daughter woke up snuck up behind me and clicked the mouse... I was right on the dock pad and my laser went off causing the station to annihilate my bounties and leave me with 70k in insurance fees instead.

The lesson here is to disable weapons with landing gear deployed or turn off shoot to deploy hardpoints.

Chris_C

I have a question about buying ED and ED Horizons via Steam. I got the base game first, then the expansion a few weeks later. I know have two Steam icons that launch two different launchers. Is it okay for me to delete the base game and just keep Horizons?

Wreav

Banned
I have a question about buying ED and ED Horizons via Steam. I got the base game first, then the expansion a few weeks later. I know have two Steam icons that launch two different launchers. Is it okay for me to delete the base game and just keep Horizons?
Yep

fred

Just parked my Cobra Mark III and bought myself a Vulture. Wish I had done this ages ago!!! Very easy to beat NPC pirates with it. Have just popped it in a hangar at a space station with 2 RESes nearby. Am down to 4.2m credits so need to build some cash up again.

Have also got a Dealer status for trading just now. And I haven't gone anywhere near drugs yet!!! I've bin framed!!!!! :Oo

Really happy with Horizons so far, as well as the changes to missions and NPC encounters in space. Got the hang of driving the SRV now that I've had a fiddle with the controls too.

I put LOADS of hours into this game so far and will definitely come back every year for each new season. They have plans to continue adding to the game for 10 years, going to be interesting to see if they can manage it.

Plasma

Banned
They've gone all out for their advertising campaign on this a trailer for it popped up before Star Wars when I went to go see it. Seems kind of crazy for a game that started off crowdfunding on Kickstarter.

sirap

They've gone all out for their advertising campaign on this a trailer for it popped up before Star Wars when I went to go see it. Seems kind of crazy for a game that started off crowdfunding on Kickstarter.

If anything, I would've expected Star Citizen to come out. What with them having Mark Hamillton in-game.

Zaptruder

Banned
If anything, I would've expected Star Citizen to come out. What with them having Mark Hamillton in-game.

At a 100 million in crowd funding, Star Citizen really doesn't need to advertise - it just keeps getting written up as the crazy crowd funded game that's exceeded X millions.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yesterday I participated in a large group meetup on the surface of the second planet of Maia. Well we met in front of the new Obsidian Orbital station and then flew the short distance to the surface, landing next to a deep canyon bracketed by two craters.

It was a lot of fun. We all dismissed our ships at the same time, that was an AWESOME sight to see even though a few straggled behind, it sounded incredible from the SRV's parked right next to the ships.

Here is video of the ships flying away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRtV4I4ZHUU

After that we all drove down into the canyon to do some racing around. It was a bit treacherous going down, I needed to use a repair about halfway and at least one SRV exploded along the way, LOL.

It was a lot of fun. We didn't have any lag issues either with all of those commanders together. We did find out that the lights on the SRV are hard on framerates though, when we all put our lights on the frames did take quite a hit. It was a good practice run and trial for the Distant Worlds meeting points we'll be doing soon.

Jedi2016

52 planets to scan!!! What's the most anyone's encountered in a system? Seems crazy to find 52
(Including moons)
Pretty sure I've hit 96 astronomical bodies with the inception horn. Some absurd systems out there.
Yeah, I think I've hit damn near a hundred before. I had a couple 70+ during my last exploration jaunt. That's really not so bad, even when compared with real life. Our own system here has hundreds of objects in it. Jupiter alone has 62 moons, only a few of which are actually in the game.

Honestly, don't bother scanning every last one. The extra few credits for the detailed scan just isn't worth it compared to the time it takes. Only hit up the ones that look interesting, water worlds or anything hopeful in the goldilocks zone that might be a candidate for terraforming, you get pretty good money for those. Skip the rest.

Now, as for the pics up above of Maia... I did do a complete system sweep of Maia and Merope on my way back after my last jaunt because some interesting things may be happening there this season. Maia was actually rather a pain in the ass because the second half of the system is 300K+ ls away, but it orbits a black hole instead of a star, so there's that.

DrBo42

Honestly, don't bother scanning every last one. The extra few credits for the detailed scan just isn't worth it compared to the time it takes. Only hit up the ones that look interesting, water worlds or anything hopeful in the goldilocks zone that might be a candidate for terraforming, you get pretty good money for those. Skip the rest.

Yeah. If you're not sure if something is actually an earth-like or water world go into your system map and zoom in on it and listen. Earth-likes will have chirping birds after a few seconds and water worlds have a gentle kind of rumble to them like hearing an ocean. FD's sound design is excellent no matter what aspect of the game it is.

There are also some tricks to finding good candidates for habitable or close to habitable worlds based on star type. I think it's in the OP somewhere.

SmartBase

The RNG with materials is killing me, after around two dozen or so planets of all types and many hours of driving I have yet to find a single piece of arsenic which is meant to be a common material. I must be doing something wrong or missing something obvious.

hepburn3d

Yeah. If you're not sure if something is actually an earth-like or water world go into your system map and zoom in on it and listen. Earth-likes will have chirping birds after a few seconds and water worlds have a gentle kind of rumble to them like hearing an ocean. FD's sound design is excellent no matter what aspect of the game it is.

There are also some tricks to finding good candidates for habitable or close to habitable worlds based on star type. I think it's in the OP somewhere.

I had no idea they added sound to the planets. That awesome. I have a huge tendency to scan all the planets. I can't help it. Want to discover one and get my name on it. Imagine I'm going to have to a long way

Anyone can explain how the SRV cargo scoop works? I have it set to go and something on the floor to collect, I've driven over it 1000 times and still it won't pick it up, I also don't seem to have a tool to allign for it on the SRV or even a remote clue where the scoop actually is as you can't see it from the cockpit.

Reckheim

Anyone can explain how the SRV cargo scoop works? I have it set to go and something on the floor to collect, I've driven over it 1000 times and still it won't pick it up, I also don't seem to have a tool to allign for it on the SRV or even a remote clue where the scoop actually is as you can't see it from the cockpit.
You have to target the item you're trying to pick up ... Using a mouse it's the right button on the mouse

HelloMeow

Yesterday I had this weird bug that made my ship land randomly while i was flying around. I landed 18km above a planet. When i deployed my SRV i fell towards the surface at around 500m/s and I survived the fall!

Jedi2016

Gorgeous screenies everyone! Has anyone tried landing on a high-gravity world ( >= 2.0 g)? I've heard it's brutally hard.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've been on a couple that were around 1g or a little over. Those seemed about the same. I think the only ships that have problems with the high-g worlds are the really large ships like Anacondas and Cutters.

Carroway

I don't know if this darkness is intended or not...but it was freaking cool!

You probably landed on the planet while it was night. All planets do rotate on their own axis so, if you hit it on the right time, you can land during night time (I.E the dark side of the planet) Of course it could also be a bug.

TheTrain

You probably landed on the planet while it was night. All planets do rotate on their own axis so, if you hit it on the right time, you can land during night time (I.E the dark side of the planet) Of course it could also be a bug.

Yeah but this is the first time that I see a night time like this one in terms of darkness :p

Jedi2016

Depends on where the night side is facing. The surfaces pick up a large amount of ambient light from the galactic core, so even the night side can be quite bright depending on where you are. But if you find a night planet facing away from the core, or otherwise blocked from receiving any ambient light, then they can get quite dark.

Top Bottom