• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |OT| - The Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of Gods

Arch Fox? Unless the math I was reading was wrong it looks like the stronger enemies like the Arch Fox or Insect Lord you have about a 15% chance of contracting with them unless you have the Brawler debuff.
I don't know why a Brawler would have anything to do with summoning? Isn't it just based on the monsters resistance to summoning magic?

As far as your party goes it might be a better idea put front line fighters in the front row while keeping your Cleric and/or Thief in the back. In most cases a Valkyrie or Lord will have far greater damage output than a Cleric and a Ninja will do more way more damage than a Thief (not to mention the chance to decapitate).

cj_iwakura

Just ran into the first Priestess at the Garden.

Yikes, they don't play.

Should I bother with respecs? None of them seem too appealing.

matmanx1

I don't know why a Brawler would have anything to do with summoning? Isn't it just based on the monsters resistance to summoning magic?

As far as your party goes it might be a better idea put front line fighters in the front row while keeping your Cleric and/or Thief in the back. In most cases a Valkyrie or Lord will have far greater damage output than a Cleric and a Ninja will do more way more damage than a Thief (not to mention the chance to decapitate).

Brawler attacks lower enemy resistances. It's one of their "perks". Enemies are easier to contract once you've hit them with a brawler. Edit- The Japanese wiki states that consecutive brawler attacks will lower an enemies resistance by 20%.

Interesting, I did not know that. The Vampire Lord was the only thing I have had much trouble recruiting. I thought I had a brawler in my team when I gave it a shot, but I am not sure about whether she actually attacked it.

I will give it another go next time I play the game and see how that works.

matmanx1

So I got lost in the swamp for about 45 minutes and was sure that death was one more fight away. Somehow I got out of there with my cleric down to zero spells left and no remaining potions. My Samurai was in paralysis but other than that the rest of the party was ok. It was a good trip for exp gain but bad for my nerves.

After that I went to the Forest to try and finish mapping the first tile and ended up getting an Iron Boomerang and a Helm Splitter as drops. My Thief and Samurai are now happy campers.

I've also gotten a couple of Devil's Lapis by this point. Is there a "best" usage for this ore or is it just preference? I noticed I could use it to put up to 20% elemental effect on a weapon or to increase resistances by a small amount.

Different ores can be used to effect different stats. I think just about everything other than class use can be modified.

Alchemists get access to an ability at LVL 26 that allows them to remove ores from items so you will never really waste it unless you get rid of the modified item.

Personally I usually just go for raw damage and AC increases. HP regeneration also comes in handy.

matmanx1

Stumbled upon that quest flower in the forest and was definitely not ready for that fight. I lasted a long time but just didn't have enough dps to get the job done.
thanks stupid enemy who calls other enemies repeatedly

I think I'm going to try resting my Alchemist now and run with the Samurai, Brawler, Fighter in the front and the Thief, Cleric and Summoner in the back. The Summoner has contracted creatures that can do most of the debuffs that the Alchemist provides so we'll see how it goes.

Finally, is there anyway to see if an item is cursed before you put it on one of your party members and wish you hadn't?

cj_iwakura

Stumbled upon that quest flower in the forest and was definitely not ready for that fight. I lasted a long time but just didn't have enough dps to get the job done.
thanks stupid enemy who calls other enemies repeatedly

Word of advice:

Her spawns change with every encounter. Keep trying, and above all, KILL HER FIRST.

Mondriaan

Finally, is there anyway to see if an item is cursed before you put it on one of your party members and wish you hadn't?
I save and reset when I don't like the results. I guess it's kind of cheap, but otherwise I would just put stuff on a sacrificial character.

Also, devilish characters aren't affected by curses.

I gave the Vampire Lord and a few other monsters I had trouble recruiting another go with a brawler in tow. It didn't seem to help and I was still unsuccessful after multiple attempts.

Maybe I need the Summoner's mastery ability, whatever that might be?

Made my party and checked the first dungeon real quick before I had to go out. I think there was a ! on a tile. What does that mean? Do I search it? If so how?

what's that? my summoner is almost maxed and i never heard of it. i just got a charge of normal summoner abilities every level.

I have no clue, was basically asking anyone if they knew what it was.

From what you are saying I guess they don't get anything, which is kind of weird seeing as how every other class does.

Mondriaan

I have no clue, was basically asking anyone if they knew what it was.

From what you are saying I guess they don't get anything, which is kind of weird seeing as how every other class does.
Their mastery ability beefs up their summons. You will have had all 9s at every spell level for a while before you've leveled up enough to reach mastery, though.

AkuMifune

Banned
In the OP, the digitally downloaded review should be 3.5/5, not 3.5/10.

Picked this up last night and can't wait to get into it. As someone who still has maps around for the old eye of the beholder games I'm hoping I can survive, but seems tough!

Soulhouf

Fuck these Colossal Roachs, they are so annoying to fight.
Sometimes the fight lasts more than 30 minutes, but at least they give a decent amount of XP.

"Colossal Roach called an ally" <- read "Colossal Roach called an army of allies" and they do it frequently. Since you miss 9 times out of 10, the battle lasts forever.

Takao

Banned
Patch coming:

Publisher UFO Interactive has announced on their Facebook page that a patch is currently in development for Elminage Original, a PSP dungeon crawler the company released last year on the PlayStation Network. The publisher didn't go into detail as to what the patch would be fixing, though it's speculated that it may fix some issues with untranslated Japanese text remaining in the game.

Elminage Original is the first in a long running series of Japanese dungeon crawlers by Starfish to be released in English. UFO Interactive released the title on November 20 of last year for $14.99. The game is compatible with PSVita.

http://psvitaloca.blogspot.com/2013/03/ufo-interactive-announced-patch-for.html

Ohnonono

Patch is good news. I bought this a while ago and need to start playing it. Very new to these kinds of games though so I am worried about making the jump and starting wrong.

Takao

Banned
Didn't know that you can patch PSP games, but any improvement on that localization is welcome news.

It was something added to the PSP's firmware back in 2009. Few games use it, but you press triangle when on the game's icon in the XMB. Should bring up a menu with one of the options being "Update" IIRC.

If you have a PSP you can add the portraits on there and transfer your save. Probably obvious but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Mondriaan

Patch is good news. I bought this a while ago and need to start playing it. Very new to these kinds of games though so I am worried about making the jump and starting wrong.
I don't think there are any mistakes you can make that you can't recover from. In the absolute worst case scenario, you might have to generate a party completely from scratch and use their default equipment, and that party is still viable.

Patch is welcome news even though I feel like I've gotten my fill of the game. I don't really feel the need to beat up gods or the final versions of the end game bosses.

cj_iwakura

I never got around to finishing it, so a patch is great news. Good on UFO.

Maybe they plan on doing II and III and this is to help clean up I's bad rep?

(Honestly I hoped the bump meant that II was announced...)

I put the game down for Crimson Shroud and completely forgot about it.

This patch may be just the push I need to finish it. Remembering it exists is a good first step anyway.

Dwayne

9zbC6eX.jpg

UFO Interactive said:
Hi Everyone! The Elminage Original Patch 1.01 is LIVE!
Download now on the PSN!

Patch Notes:
-Localization fixes throughout entire game.
-UI bugs fixed.
-Added custom BGM selection during gameplay.

Soulhouf

I checked quickly this new version and I'm glad these weird glitches and messed up translations are gone.
The "Sound Load" feature is there as well. You can customize the music just like the "face load" feature. I'm not a big fan of using other game's music but I know some players like that.

cj_iwakura

I checked quickly this new version and I'm glad these weird glitches and messed up translations are gone.
The "Sound Load" feature is there as well. You can customize the music just like the "face load" feature. I'm not a big fan of using other game's music but I know some players like that.

Neither am I, but it is a pretty great feature. Some dungeons have amazing music, some have bland music, so I'll be sure to try it.

cj_iwakura

Patched it today. Swing aaaaand a miss, UFO.

Two errors:

"Idenftification" on the main menu of every shop(come on guys, how did you miss that), and "MUSIC[lots of hiragana"] if you try to sound load with no music in the PSP.

A for effort, at least.

Soulhouf

Patched it today. Swing aaaaand a miss, UFO.

Two errors:

"Idenftification" on the main menu of every shop(come on guys, how did you miss that), and "MUSIC[lots of hiragana"] if you try to sound load with no music in the PSP.

A for effort, at least.

Aw, I just saw this :lol

cj_iwakura

Got another ring. The Priestess battles are hilarious.

Barely killed this one with a last-standing thief who nailed her with a fluke boomerang, before carrying five corpses back to town. :(

Has anyone gotten sound load to work yet? I tried a bunch of MP3s, but nada. I fear it requires .WAVs(why wouldn't that surprise me).

cj_iwakura

Got Sound Load working! :D

Oi is it a pain. You need the /Music folder in the core HD folder, not the PSP subfolder.

And make the song titles a single word or it will crash the game.

Time for my Chrono Trigger/Imagine OST!

(The only tracks I'll keep are battles and the forest.)

cj_iwakura

I feel like I'm the only one playing this post-patch(Soul Hackers warm up!), but ah well.

Does anyone understand how the crafting system works? I swear certain materials allowed me to infuse equipment to have regenerating HP, which is amazing, but I'm not sure which it was.

And the customization list is still confusing, even now that it's in English(it was a nightmare pre-patch).

Never mind, thanks Dorarnae!

ricted main/sub(35 AP)=make your weapon usable in right or left hand.

ted range(30AP)=infinite range on weapon

Curse(10AP)= Lift curse on item (which mean you can equip cursed item)

uble-strike-*monster type*(15AP)=Double dmg to *type* creature

se Status Recovery Rate(1AP=2%)= my guess is the recovery rate if you're sleep,mute,fear

gnment Restrictions(15AP)=make item equipable for all 3 alignement
der Restrictions(15AP)= make item equipable for all gender
e Restrictions(35AP)= make item equipable for all class?(not sure about this one)

Damage value(5AP=+1min/max dmg)=increase weapon dmg

ecovery(2AP=1hp)=recover hp at end of turn

Resistance-Ma(1Ap=1%)=increase resistance to mage spell
Resistance-CL(1AP=1%)=increase resistance to cleric spell
Resistance-Al(1Ap=1%)=increase resistance to alchemist spell

I move-Sle(1AP=1%)=add sleep effect to weapon
I move-Poi(1AP=1%)=add poison effect to weapon
I move-Par(2AP=1%)=add paralyse effect to weapon
I move-Sil(1AP=1%)=add silence effect to weapon
I move-Con(1AP=1%)=add confuse effect to weapon
I move-cha(2AP=1%)=add charm effect to weapon
I move-Pet(2AP=1%)=add petrify effect to weapon
I move-beh(2AP=1%)=add beheaded effect to weapon

I Resistance-Sle (1AP=1%)=increase resistance to sleep
I Resistance-Poi (1AP=1%)=increase resistance to poison
I Resistance-Par (2AP=1%)=increase resistance to paralyse
I Resistance-Sil (1AP=1%)=increase resistance to silence
I Resistance-Con (1AP=1%)=increase resistance to Confuse
I Resistance-cha (2AP=1%)=increase resistance to Charm
I Resistance-pet (2AP=1%)=increase resistance to petrify
I Resistance-beh (2AP=1%)=increase resistance to beheaded
I Resistance-dra (2AP=1%)=increase resistance to drain

Attribute -Fir/ice/lig/hol/dar (1AP=2%)=increase power of element (fire/ice/lightning/holy/darkness)

e Attribute -Fir/ice/lig/hol/dar (1AP=2%)=increase resistance of element (fire/ice/lightning/holy/darkness)

Soulhouf

I feel like I'm the only one playing this post-patch(Soul Hackers warm up!), but ah well.
Sorry. I intended to continue my progress but EOIV and Steins;Gate took my entire gaming time.
It will be after Soul Hackers I guess, if I don't catch D-RPG sickness by then.

Top Bottom