• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |OT| - The Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of Gods

Kid_Compile

Neo Member
I am a bit late in suggesting this for a few of you (trying to not spend too much time online), but maybe someone who is just starting the game will notice this; it really makes no sense to pick one dungeon at a time to tackle. It is way more beneficial to check out all of the areas that you can currently handle because of the wide variety of drops. You are almost better off working your way through parts of each one simply to find loot for every different class.

As far as the hunter's pursuit skill is concerned, I really don't think it matters which row they are in. I have had mine in the front and in the back. Both times it has activated upon an enemy being afflicted by a status ailment. The pursuit skill becomes even more useful when they gain their high level skills.

Also, the thief's remove and steal skills are super rad. Totally worth it. Wow. I have found some crazy gear so far.

Again, can't help being annoyed that some other publisher did not give this series a real shot here years ago. The amount of enemies, loot, options, etc is staggering.

KPJZKC

Okay obscure-dungeon-crawler-GAF, here's a question because I feel like a retard. Entire party wiped approximately 4 tiles away from the entrance to the forest - had been retreating and losing people the whole way from one of the neighbouring sections.

Is there a way to recover them without having to pay an arseload of gold followed by another arseload of gold to revive them? I've tried going to the position they died in (even with a party with just one character) and I've used the "Show dead adventurers" spell to be sure, but still no dice. Any ideas?

cj_iwakura

Okay obscure-dungeon-crawler-GAF, here's a question because I feel like a retard. Entire party wiped approximately 4 tiles away from the entrance to the forest - had been retreating and losing people the whole way from one of the neighbouring sections.

Is there a way to recover them without having to pay an arseload of gold followed by another arseload of gold to revive them? I've tried going to the position they died in (even with a party with just one character) and I've used the "Show dead adventurers" spell to be sure, but still no dice. Any ideas?

I quit and reload the moment that happens. Never had to retrieve a dead party, especially not from that deathtrap.

KPJZKC

I quit and reload the moment that happens. Never had to retrieve a dead party, especially not from that deathtrap.

Oh well. Time to grind with default party, though at this rate they'll be higher level than my my custom characters by the time I've got enough GP.

So, has anyone found the Old Man's Sword yet? I am mostly wondering if the clue that the guy in the bazaar gives you is accurate.

Don't have my psp with me at work, but isn't there an option labeled 'recover/search for party members' towards the bottom of the main menu? Did you try using that on the spot where the party was wiped?

i've played for a long time and still can't get an audience with the fairy and that fat woman in the tent. i think i suck with quests in this game.

and anks of wisdom are rare once you get out of beginner areas. i don't want to farm the useless stuff.

i've played for a long time and still can't get an audience with the fairy and that fat woman in the tent. i think i suck with quests in this game.

For the woman in the tent you have to
help Cappelo out in Hadaar Valley/Canyon or whatever it is called, after you complete his quest he will recommend you and she will give you a quest.

Mondriaan

Not a word about the buggy localization, either. Still, it's pretty apparent if you know your Wizardry likes how good the races are. Elves - high int, natural mages; Dragonnewts - high STR, natural brawler/fighters; Hobbits(or whatever) - natural thieves, etc.
Well, the races are mixed up for dwarf, gnome, fairy, and hotling (What the hell is a hotling?) IIRC.

dwarf should say fairy
gnome should say dwarf
fairy should say hotling
hotling should say gnome

Or something crazy like that.

For the woman in the tent you have to
help Cappelo out in Hadaar Valley/Canyon or whatever it is called, after you complete his quest he will recommend you and she will give you a quest.

guy in the dark room? he won't let me in. and that blood altar isn't working for me. i offer blood but nothing happens. i hope that's the right map, i'll have to check later.

guy in the dark room? he won't let me in. and that blood altar isn't working for me. i offer blood but nothing happens. i hope that's the right map, i'll have to check later.
Nope, he should be at
X: 9 Y: 4 on the Northeast Map.

Something was definitely wrong with the blood alter when I tried it. It was either listing the correct race (before UFO screwed it up) or the wrong races and completely ignoring my demonkin.

cj_iwakura

There's a building rumor that UFO are planning to do Elminage 2, 3, and Gothic.

I'll start a new thread if confirmation comes along. Great news if true.

Also, the tarot cards in this game look great. I'd buy an official deck.

tomasdk

Oh please, yes, love dungeon crawlers on handhelds and thsi series looks really interesting. Still have not started this one, trying to finish Unchained Blades. Which reminds me, is it known when Class of Heroes 2 is coming out?

Nope, he should be at
X: 9 Y: 4 on the Northeast Map.

Something was definitely wrong with the blood alter when I tried it. It was either listing the correct race (before UFO screwed it up) or the wrong races and completely ignoring my demonkin.

hm, i don't think i've seen anything there. have to check again tomorrow, but i'm certain that i've uncovered the whole map except for that dark part.

cj_iwakura

Oh please, yes, love dungeon crawlers on handhelds and thsi series looks really interesting. Still have not started this one, trying to finish Unchained Blades. Which reminds me, is it known when Class of Heroes 2 is coming out?

Only vireland knows. He's been stealth releasing screens, I know that.

Soulhouf

Hell yeah! Especially 2, which is way better than Original.
I wouldn't ask for a great localization, but a bug free localization please.

I definitely won't be grabbing any of the other Elminage titles day 1-- or perhaps at all-- if they don't do a little better with the localization.

I am just about ready to hit up the Dragon's Fang. Just need to explore Parthenes, which I have been putting off due to having no clue what to do on the first floor. Everything else has been fully mapped out.

hm, i don't think i've seen anything there. have to check again tomorrow, but i'm certain that i've uncovered the whole map except for that dark part.
Well, is Cappelo in his item shop at the Mega Bazaar? If so then him not being there would make sense.

cj_iwakura

We're at 2 reviews!

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2012/11/review-elminage-original-vita.html

May even make 5 by the end of the month at this rate.

3.5/5

Elminage is a game with its fair share of flaws, but it also does more things right than not. I can appreciate the challenge and will take somewhat difficult to understand text over no game at all. There are rumors that more of these games are coming out down the road, and despite the hiccups along the way with this first title, I am looking forward to more.

The reviewer liked the forest music. He's good people.

Mondriaan

Elminage really is a fun game.

Also, it is a big help to map the start/select buttons to the right analog. Left shoulder, Right shoulder, Right on right analog is saving my sanity when resetting multiple times during repeated cycles of leveling up, getting a 1 HP boost, and resetting.

finished the main quest. took me 50 hours to map everything up to this point. managed to recruit a few more monsters like
hydra, emerald? dragon and phoenix. but i think arch fox is still my favorite.

good game. don't know what to do next. i still have like 60% quests open and unfinished.

d+pad

OK, so I'm downloading this as I type. Any suggestions from all of you RE: which party-member classes to use or avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cj_iwakura

Warrior/Brawler/Hunter is a great frontline team. You need a thief, non-negotiable. Mage, Priest, and/or Alchemist are all solid backline people.

Bishops are good to keep in town for appraising, but kind of useless in battle(aside from the ghost skill, but mages kill them easily too, and with better success rates).

OK, so I'm downloading this as I type. Any suggestions from all of you RE: which party-member classes to use or avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

i found every class useful so far. cleric is a must, but i'd also recommend a samurai. great for utility, and they can fight too once you level your gear up.

DTJAAAAM

What makes the Thief so useful in the game? Increases item drops, etc.?

Their steal technique also allows you to get good loot from enemies, but it takes a while to learn that. If that doesn't interest you, you can always swap one out for an alchemist with max level spells since they can use them to disable traps with 100% accuracy.

^ Yeah, the steal and remove equipment skills that thieves learn at lvl26 are what really set them apart. Before that they are only marginally useful as party members. Once you unlock those skills you will always want a thief in the party though.

Hunters, ninjas and bards all have thief skills as well and while not as good as thieves can get the job done most of the time.

matmanx1

Downloaded today. Party is Samurai, Fighter, Thief, Alchemist, Summoner and Cleric. The only thing I really miss so far is the Bishop's Identify ability but I have no complaints about my team's dungeon crawling chops in the early going.

Is there a way to identify traps? I stepped on a pit trap in the first little area that I had no idea was even there.

And should I move my Thief into the back row and maybe swap the Cleric to the front? I figured the Thief had the higher agility and chance to dodge but neither are really front line team members.

Anyway, besides the funky translation and naming errors I'm liking what I see so far and appreciate the recommendation. Wizardry types are generally fun and engrossing for me as long as they are well crafted.

you can levitate over traps via a mage/samurai spell. i think it's in row number 3 or 4.

thief thief is in the first row, clr in second. worked best for me this way.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out how bad the translation in this game is...How did this happen? Did they just run some stuff through auto translation?

matmanx1

I equipped a whip on my thief and put her in the back row for now with my cleric in the front. The cleric has twice the hp and and a lower ac. Once I get to some harder stuff I may switch them back but this arrangement seems to be working fine for now.

I finished the first little task tonight and cleared the first floor of the caverns. Elminage is scratching my RPG itch quite nicely at this point.

DTJAAAAM

I equipped a whip on my thief and put her in the back row for now with my cleric in the front. The cleric has twice the hp and and a lower ac. Once I get to some harder stuff I may switch them back but this arrangement seems to be working fine for now.

Good choice, that's usually how I went about. Try to find a Boomerang for your thief, as that lets them do decent damage from the back row.

Mondriaan

Is there a downside to being hit by the goddess kiss trap?

I'm starting to wish I had deliberately set off every goddess kiss trap I ever came across because my lord character could stand to lose a few years from her age.

cj_iwakura

Just did the quest with Orlando's shop.

:( Amazing how heartrending a scene about an NPC could be with just one static portrait and a few choice lines.

I really, really hope they clean up their act for Elminage II.

matmanx1

Reading some threads over at Gamefaqs makes it sound like you need a Brawler in your party to get the best use out of a Summoner.

Right now I've got Samurai, Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Alchemist, Summoner and they are all around level 6 so I'm not to invested in any of them in terms of time. Should I replace one with a Brawler so that I have a better chance of capturing some of the stronger enemies for my Summoner? Or I could drop the Summoner altogether and slot in the Brawler to have a little bit better balance in the party as far as muscle up front and cloth in the back.

I rolled a Brawler last night and even with 2 basic bandages and leather armor he was doing as much or more damage than all of my characters except the Samurai and he was only level 3. Seems like a pretty powerful class.

i was surprised by how easy it was to capture powerful monsters. i got most of them in 1-3 tries. haven't tried post game though, so it might be another story there.

no brawler in my party.

I'll be downloading this from PSN after I finish Paper Mario in a week or so.
Really looking forward to it.

As bad as the translation seems, I am glad it got released here at all.

I am sad there is no sign of Students of the Rounds PSP getting localized for a PSN release, that is a lot better game I think:

Demon-Gaze-Announced-PSV.jpg

matmanx1

i was surprised by how easy it was to capture powerful monsters. i got most of them in 1-3 tries. haven't tried post game though, so it might be another story there.

no brawler in my party.

Arch Fox? Unless the math I was reading was wrong it looks like the stronger enemies like the Arch Fox or Insect Lord you have about a 15% chance of contracting with them unless you have the Brawler debuff.

Mondriaan

I rolled a Brawler last night and even with 2 basic bandages and leather armor he was doing as much or more damage than all of my characters except the Samurai and he was only level 3. Seems like a pretty powerful class.
Brawler is a great class, but you'll want to avoid using armor that negates their built-in AC bonus. When you're starting out, IIRC the only armor type equipment that will work are things like leather shoes and stat raising ankhs.

As far as your party goes, you should buy your fighter the flamberge, and create a B team for your gladiator.

I am sad there is no sign of Students of the Rounds PSP getting localized for a PSN release, that is a lot better game I think:

never heard of it, but it looks great.

Arch Fox? Unless the math I was reading was wrong it looks like the stronger enemies like the Arch Fox or Insect Lord you have about a 15% chance of contracting with them unless you have the Brawler debuff.

i don't have the lord, but i own the fox. i think i've been hyping him up for the last page, albeit in spoiler tags. maybe i got lucky.

Soulhouf

Students of Rounds aka Entaku no Seito!
That's a fantastic game. I purchased the PSP version but that one is even more obscure than Elminage for a publisher to bring it to the West...

Top Bottom