• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |OT| - The Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of Gods

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I really love this game so far. It's almost too good to be true.

I think whoever did the localization did a very good job from the people I've talked to so far.

Morbidly curious about the story behind this game's localization.

I'm a bit confused about fame; the compass the King gave me has multiple segments to it, where do I assign the fame to? Does it depend on what ring I'm after or where I'm going?

lol you know I dont remember what I did with the fame stuff... wish I could help you but its been ages since Ive played the original and only the wonderful trauma from the game has been burned into my memory. Besides Avi / Abi the statue in the first dungeon lol

Heres something I pulled off of a wiki site for the game. Link below. The specific section in regards to the fame and the ring is in the blacked out spoiler section under the link.
http://spoiler.sakura.ne.jp/srv/el1psp/index.html

指輪探しとコンパス †
さて、さっき×ボタンで見たコンパスだが、
これはディンス王にもらったコンパスが見れる。

コンパスはフェイムを捧げることができる。
フェイムを3つ以上捧げると、
指輪に対して反応して光を出すようになる。
4つもらっただろうから、3つ以上捧げるんだ。
反応が無い場合は近くに指輪がないということ、
移動しているうちに反応することがあるだろう。
反応があれば、その光が指し示す場所を見つけ、
その上でXボタンを押して調べると指輪を発見できる.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The servant / maid class is pretty useful for items, though fairly useless in battle. They have some interesting skills so its a more specialized type of class. I usually enjoy using those kind of odd classes so always dragged one around with me. I love some of the encounters you have with NPCs in the game while in the dungeon. Some of the writing was pretty amusing from what I remember.

Also Elminage Gothic 3DS in Spring 2013! :D Gonna buy this also just to collect lol. Only one I have not bought in the series is the red headed stepchild amenomihasira which got slammed pretty hard.

http://www.s-f.co.jp/soft/3ds/elminage_gothic/index.html

In regards to the fame
basically it says if you offer 3 or more fame that the compass will react to locations where a ring is near in the dungeon by displaying a ray of light. Upon reaching a location where a ring is believed to be press the X button to obtain it

cj_iwakura

I made a ton of avatars for kicks:

Mj8UO.png

jfo1d.png

RoX9K.png

7hIcv.png

9L1wr.png

mezaU.png

E4pxM.png

N7qAB.png

o64zj.png

IzbUV.png

REPEi.png

dTHQ6.png

UtTk0.png

lDWwJ.png

kUfeF.png

MUB0b.png

Z5EUo.png

k4vgv.png

tOEMT.png

PT6Y5.png

K8aQ2.png

pFZJd.png

tpKcR.png

1JU5p.png

YItsO.png

55m7q.png

Z9uLY.png

BeJr1.png

CS9CF.png

KKwfd.png

NncDg.png

And these are avatars from Dragon Force. Pick and choose and resize as needed.
48x48.

NG70G.jpg

DTJAAAAM

Has anyone figured out face load? I made a ton of avatars for kicks, but I haven't gotten them working yet... they're in the pictures folder too.

I'll share them anyway.

Nice. They have to be in the Picture folder at the root of the memory stick. Then you go to Face Load, click an empty space, and it will let you import them one at a time. Couldn't get it to work on my Vita, so ended up restarting on a PSP.

cj_iwakura

Nice. They have to be in the Picture folder at the root of the memory stick. Then you go to Face Load, click an empty space, and it will let you import them one at a time. Couldn't get it to work on my Vita, so ended up restarting on a PSP.

All of the squares just say 'no image captured'.

I'll try changing one to a .bmp.

Crap. Yep, that's it. .bmp required, 256 color format.

Soulhouf

Images need to be In bmp format In à specific size and specific encoding. I will show you how to do it when I'm back home.

Edit: I see you figured that out

cj_iwakura

Images need to be In bmp format In à specific size and specific encoding. I will show you how to do it when I'm back home.

Edit: I see you figured that out

Yeah, the book said .png format which was why I did them all that way. Ah well. I'll update the post. Also did a few new ones.

Funny thing, the instructions mentioned the UMD. Maybe they planned on a disc release for this at one point?

is there a warehouse in this game? i made a servant to see if he can hold different materials, but it seems they can't. i'm dragging too much stuff around already.

The mini map is generated by that item the king gives you materials for at the beginning of the game.

ah, then i guess my alchemist must have this item in his inv.

Gyoru

You can store items in the Alchemy Warehouse in the Inn of the first town. It costs money to access the Alchemy Warehouse, but completing an early sidequest makes it free.

DTJAAAAM

A few random tips/observations after playing for a couple hours:

-Completing the bartender's quest will allow you to mix Good and Evil characters in your party.

-If you want Evil characters to turn Good, I seem to have had the most random encounters with friendly monsters right at the start of Nivenah Temple. Just keep refusing to fight them about 5-10 times and they should convert. Doesn't work for Neutral characters, so I wonder if there is a way to change their alignment.

-The Nivenah Temple encounters can be tough, but if you manage to kill them, you can get about 16K-20K experience per fight. It worked wonders for leveling my backup squad.

-Helm Splitter is a great random drop from the first level of the Kraidia Caverns. It lets my level 8 ninja do about 80-100 damage.

-Speaking of ninjas, unlike Wizardry, they do NOT need to be unarmed to randomly kill monsters with a single hit.

-My thief has become a bit more useful now that I've found an Iron Boomerang as a random drop in Mauria Forest. Makes her do about 22 damage from the back row, which is a nice improvement over the 1 she was doing with a whip in the middle.

-If you're just grinding, you might take the Mega Bazaar's Stage Front NPC named Harmony with you. Basically gives you a free AI-controlled priestess as backup for your team.

my best weapons are flamberge and iron boomerang. rest of my damage is magic only.

any way to keep track of quests? i found a house in the forest with an npc i couldn't talk to.

DTJAAAAM

my best weapons are flamberge and iron boomerang. rest of my damage is magic only.

any way to keep track of quests? i found a house in the forest with an npc i couldn't talk to.

On the world map screen, press the R button to scroll past the save option and there should be a quest log.

Shaffield

this looks pretty sweet, but i'll need to finish Etrian Odyssey II, III, and the upcoming IV before letting myself get into it.

so, probably never

i'll go ahead and buy it tho, just to support the localization

this looks pretty sweet, but i'll need to finish Etrian Odyssey II, III, and the upcoming IV before letting myself get into it.

so, probably never

i'll go ahead and buy it tho, just to support the localization

squeeze this game in between. 3 EO in a row will bore you to death.

MaxDOL

Regarding Harmony, what if she dies? Can she be revived?

She will be back at the place that you meet her the first time.

Although I am not sure if there is some consequence if you let her die. ( In my game, she died 2 times lol)

Ps. Need better class balance advice for my party. Street fighter and hunter really suck.

cj_iwakura

She will be back at the place that you meet her the first time.

Although I am not sure if there is some consequence if you let her die.

Ps. Need better class balance advice for my party. Street fighter and hunter really suck.

Hunter + Longbow has been doing some niiice damage for me. If you mean Brawler, wait until they get some combos going. Mine's a Dragonewt and he's pretty great.

cj_iwakura

Speaking of which, the monsters in this game can be really imposing. I ran into a giant
praying mantis
in the forest, and half of it filled the whole screen.

DTJAAAAM

Hit the 12-hour mark on my game while leveling up and mapping out the entire first dungeon. Looks like I'm going to need a
Summoner
to beat one of the sidequests there.

Shaffield

squeeze this game in between. 3 EO in a row will bore you to death.

im planning on stretching out those 3 quite a bit already, since im aware of the tedium that would come along with it :p

i just don't know that i can justify starting up a new dungeon crawler while i have all these EO cartridges around with unfinished files

on another note, my only real dungeon crawler experience is with Strange Journey, EO, and like a dozen hours of that Wizardry game on PS2, not particularly deep into it.
would this game be particularly jarring or anything?

Mugaaz

I'm enjoying this, but I have no idea how the Alchemist or Summoner works. Also, it feels like any of the races that have lower hp gains are awful regardless of class.

DTJAAAAM

I'm enjoying this, but I have no idea how the Alchemist or Summoner works. Also, it feels like any of the races that have lower hp gains are awful regardless of class.

Gave up on Summoner early on after rolling one. As for Alchemist, they're more of a support role. I've mainly used them for buffs and debuffs in battle, and haven't found a better weapon for them than the Mop. Their "breath" magic is a mixed bag, as I've seen it do okay damage to an entire row but also have it often dish out 1-2 damage. You can also use them to power up items in town via alchemy and blacksmithing at the inn.

Mugaaz

I hope the later magics get better, because right now magic is pretty worthless overall and I'd replace my back row with rangers if it didnt require grinding.

cj_iwakura

My Mage is decent. I'll stick with them to see if they get godlike later on like in LoLS(boy is that endgame spell BROKEN).

Gave up on Summoner early on after rolling one. As for Alchemist, they're more of a support role. I've mainly used them for buffs and debuffs in battle, and haven't found a better weapon for them than the Mop. Their "breath" magic is a mixed bag, as I've seen it do okay damage to an entire row but also have it often dish out 1-2 damage. You can also use them to power up items in town via alchemy and blacksmithing at the inn.

Dragonnewt's have breath as an innate skill.

my alchemist is using a mob as well. alchemists are good for inflicting powerful status effects and for a bit of buffing/debuffing. can't complain.

on another note, my only real dungeon crawler experience is with Strange Journey, EO, and like a dozen hours of that Wizardry game on PS2, not particularly deep into it.
would this game be particularly jarring or anything?

this is more of a down-to-earth dungeon crawling type of game.

I hope the later magics get better, because right now magic is pretty worthless overall and I'd replace my back row with rangers if it didnt require grinding.

early magic is solid, middle is not so good, but higher level spells start to get good again. and they work without better equipment. my equipment overall is still not that good.

DTJAAAAM

My Mage is decent. I'll stick with them to see if they get godlike later on like in LoLS(boy is that endgame spell BROKEN).
Dragonnewt's have breath as an innate skill.

The one I'm referring to is a spell called Pomedoon, which the game describes as "Breath attack.". Not sure if that''s a mistranslation or what.

made some quest progress today. can't feel too confident, because i'm getting destroyed whenever i try to sniff out new maps.

btw, can poison spells deal direct damage, or is that just another trans. error? noticed that on my samurai.

i'm in the last row of spells with my mage classes. not sure if i should level to 9 or change class soon. have any of you changed classes yet?

The Summoner seems to only have access to 3 spells. Contract, summon and release. Each subsequent spell level allows you to summon an additional monster.

Basically you use contract in battle and if successful the monster is available for summoning. You don't get any exp or gp for monsters 'defeated' in this manner though.

Also, you need a Summoner for an early quest so it isn't a bad idea to level one up to 9 or 10.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can check out a monsters resistance to summoning magic (the contract spell) in its bestiary entry.

cj_iwakura

Okay, now if this is true, this is not acceptable.

From GameFAQs:

Dorarnae said:
not sure about me. i am glad they brought the first game so others could try the game at least.
i do hope to see 2-3 and gothic someday but if the translation isnt better and few other stuff(like all the description text on item/monster was removed), i'll keep playing my jp version.

I thought it was weird that all that was absent, it's in LoLS too.

Eusis

Nothing about this games localization is acceptable. The fact that Elminage made it to retail at all in its current state is pretty unbelievable.
Technically it didn't even get that far, being a budget PSN release.
I have a hard time getting offended by this stuff for these types of games.
Something like this should never be blown off for localizations, especially if there's information on how best to fight the monsters or use an item or weapon.

dochuge

I really like this dungeon crawl, but it is a pretty half-baked translation. I too like to see info about monsters but more importantly items. See things like wooden money box and have no idea what it does. Think this could get patched?

I really like this dungeon crawl, but it is a pretty half-baked translation. I too like to see info about monsters but more importantly items. See things like wooden money box and have no idea what it does. Think this could get patched?

i think special items like wooden money box have to appraised in-game by that merchant next to two other npcs. he wants coin for it. he will tell you what it is for.

Top Bottom