• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emergency broadcast test in SoCal uses wrong file, plays end-of-the-world message

Dude Abides

Banned
Oh we just happened to have this weird-ass war of the worlds-esque sound clip lying around and played it by accident. Whoopsy daisy!

Canklestank

Neo Member
Why does that voice sound familiar? It sounds like a clip from a speech or sermon or something.

EDIT: I think it sounds familiar because it just sounds like a cliche garbled voice. It kind of reminds me of a commercial for some reason.

partime

HAHA I heard it yesterday while driving.

Was listening to Christian radio, thought it was odd that they cut to an old serman about end of times.

Lol, then it went back to normal.

rrs

HAHA I heard it yesterday while driving.

Was listening to Christian radio, thought it was odd that they cut to an old serman about end of times.

Lol, then it went back to normal.
so, someone managed to phreak into a christian station right as the EAS test starts. Well, that's certainly one way to make a splash.

This reminds me of when Houston? had their civil alert sirens all turned on by a similar kind of attack

Myriadis

First thing I thought of.

REGARDING YOUR CHILDREN:
TEND TO THEM BEFORE YOU TEND YOURSELF
USE A CALM TONE OF VOICE
EVERYONE CAN DO THEIR PART

THIS MESSAGE WILL REPEAT UNTIL THERE ARE NONE TO READ IT
"Sorry, it was just a hoax"

I'm picturing the ending of The Mist with that...

Zubz

Banned
"Sorry, it was just a hoax"

I'm picturing the ending of The Mist with that...

I love that you can see the instructions for an accidental airing of that clip burned into the background at the start of the "Hoax" message. With the instructions literally stating "Play the 'Hoax' message in case of accidental broadcast of actual message."

Pesmerga00

This reminds me of the "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast in the 30's. At least we have the Internet to verify things.

I love that you can see the instructions for an accidental airing of that clip burned into the background at the start of the "Hoax" message. With the instructions literally stating "Play the 'Hoax' message in case of accidental broadcast of actual message."
Didn't catch that haha... Whoa.

Jzero

Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion.jpg

Whoa reminded me of Black Mirror for some reason

Apt101

Sounded demonic. Eeesh.

I remember back when I had cable TV (also Cox) one of these alerts came on while I was chilling, and instead of the normal test audio I am pretty sure it was Attack of the Show. One of those G4 shows.

Zubz

Banned
Sounded demonic. Eeesh.

I remember back when I had cable TV (also Cox) one of these alerts came on while I was chilling, and instead of the normal test audio I am pretty sure it was Attack of the Show. One of those G4 shows.

Yup. It's always creepy when you can hear something in the background of one of those alerts. Speaking of which, why have we only been linking to the one Local 58 video when the Emergency Broadcast one fits just as well?

Might be a bit tough to fit in the
GPS
one into this thread, though.

Zubz

Banned
Love this story, but honestly I’d be pissed if I saw this live, because Horror of Fang Rock is a killer Doctor Who story, and wholly undeserving of being interupted.

I dunno, I think it'd be worth it to have a moment that feels like it was out of the actual show.

Top Bottom