• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emmett Till marker in Mississippi riddled with bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I hate how history gets covered. This should be common knowledge for everyone, especially considering how it literally started the Civil Rights movement.

It you look close, you'll see the bullet holes vary in diameter which implies that multiple people were shooting. And given the number of holes, that makes more sense.

You mean, the Civil Rights movement was more than Rosa Parks refusing to give up her bus seat, and Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech?

Kidding aside, I learned about Emmett Till in High School, and I live in Canada. I'm pretty sure the modern curriculum has social justice units covered in the intermediate grades that go over the civil rights movement, and various humanitarian issues worldwide. I don't remember what class Till came up in for me (I graduated over 15 years ago), as I never took American History.

Sadly, you just summarized everything I was taught in school. Ah wait. Underground railroad! Covered so poorly in my class that I legitimately thought there was a train underground the first time I heard it.
This is done purposely. Knowledge is power, and a lot of people don't truly know how bad it was for blacks post-civil war/slavery(not that is was a walk in the park beforehand). It's glossed over in history and we're given half truths, like Lincoln went to war specifically to end slavery. They never talk about how most blacks were still slaves because they didn't know that slavery was abolished or what about the original birth of nation(1915) that emboldened white supremacists to start up the kkk again? The list goes on and on.

LifEndz

Mississippi actually has the highest percentage of black people in the country.

Stats like that are why I get a bit squeamish when people write off ever visiting the state. White people here are, by and large, pretty racist, but the Mississippi Delta is one of the most interesting places in the country to visit. Birthplace of the blues, and food that tastes better than anything I've eaten. Stop by Clarksdale, MS and eat at Morgan Freeman's restaurant (and see the crossroads where Robert Johnson allegedly sold his soul to the devil to learn the blues); take a drive around the cotton fields; talk to older black people about their history here.

Whenever people trash Mississippi, they really mean "white Mississippi," which has been nothing but a blight on the country. But black Mississippi is a treasure that's created some beautiful contributions to America.

Did you mean to respond to me? Not sure anything in my post could be construed as me saying there aren't many people of color in Mississippi or that people shouldn't visit Mississippi.

commedieu

Banned
Wishing cancer on people isn't cool. Even if they are racist fucks.

who was voting on if it was cool or not?

I vote for that weird radioactive poisoning Putin uses for all the racist fucks.

Or something far far worse...

Their children marrying a black person.

2016, ladies and gents.

2016? They've been doing that shit since the sign got put up.

Take it from someone from the South.

I love the South, but much of it' an incurable shitbed of racism, bigotry and idiocy. I don't feel safe driving through East Texas at all ever and won't in 60 year when we have hover cars.

2016? They've been doing that shit since the sign got put up.

Take it from someone from the South.

I love the South, but much of it' an incurable shitbed of racism, bigotry and idiocy. I don't feel safe driving through East Texas at all ever and won't in 60 year when we have hover cars.
I had an old car that had constant problems, I preferred driving north through Tennessee's tourist shit than get caught alone in Alabama or Mississippi. All it takes is one personal experience on their Mad Max highways to never, ever do it again.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I still gladly spend the extra gas money to avoid Mississippi anytime I have to drive to the southeast from where I am. I will never forget how my friends and I were treated back in college when we stopped to get a bite to eat around Jackson. Fuck that state hard.
I don't think there is a state with a worse reputation. Not just in matters of basic decency, but overall image of character, culture, economy, values, education, community, and the median individual.

Strike

"Alabama's got me so upset, Tennessee's made me lose my rest, and everybody knows about Mississippi goddam." - Nina Simone

The case of Emmett Till was well discussed once I got to high school. It's such a heart breaking and disturbing moment. With this latest news, it seems we will never stop having such evil racist assholes. Makes me mad.

Yup. Maybe it's because I'm from Chicago, but I learned about it in high school and I went to school way in the suburbs.

TalonJH

I don't live in Mississippi (I'm in Kentucky at the moment), but I apologize for the rest of the white South. Absolutely disgusting.

People that do shit like this are the same ones that shout "but racism is dead" every time these situations happen. Despicable.
Where in KY? I'm in Louisville.

On Topic: Can't say I'm surprised by this kind of thing.

It's all about political correctness. Pretend in public that tens of millions of white folks didn't hate MLK and these civil rights "criminals" were heroes all along. Bury the history of all the blacks brutally mutilated, raped, and assassinated over time. Don't let more blacks write the history books and teach the courses.
This is done purposely. Knowledge is power, and a lot of people don't truly know how bad it was for blacks post-civil war/slavery(not that is was a walk in the park beforehand). It's glossed over in history and we're given half truths, like Lincoln went to war specifically to end slavery. They never talk about how most blacks were still slaves because they didn't know that slavery was abolished or what about the original birth of nation(1915) that emboldened white supremacists to start up the kkk again? The list goes on and on.
I don't know about every star and area, but my basic California textbooks, books, and teachers went into all of this stuff.

I would. Painful cancer that robs them of whatever they cherish most.

Same here. Fuck 'em. They took away the humanity of not just a young boy and brutalized his grave but a whole race of people. They aren't entitled to humanity or sympathy from anyone after they squander it on such petty, harmful actions. If they rot in one of the worst ways possible they deserve every second of it

FFS not this again.

Slavery ended THOUSANDS of years ago.

Obama is president. For eight looooooooooooooooooong years. Damn it

Jay-Z and Beyoncé have been accepted into the illuminati.

It's time to move on black people. Stop living in the past.

Heard about this the other day

It more just shocks me how ignorant and narrow-minded you have to be for the fucking Emmet Till monument that's just a marker. Emmet Till, most open and shut case out there. You don't get to dogwhistle about this shit.

Malyse

Imagine such vulgarity being committed on a Holocaust memorial; which I think is a parallel.

The Holocaust was 12 years and is still sacrosanct. The oppression of the Black race has been happening for centuries (Slavery, Jim Crow, Prison Industrial Complex, Stop and Frisk, etc) and yet...

Roi

The Holocaust was 12 years and is still sacrosanct. The oppression of the Black race has been happening for centuries (Slavery, Jim Crow, Prison Industrial Complex, Stop and Frisk, etc) and yet...

Not sure what you're trying to say here.
The holocaust was a direct result of centuries of anti-semitism in Europe. Which is still a huge problem worldwide.

SirNinja

Thanks, Trump.

As irredeemably vile as Trump is, this sort of thing has been going on long before his influence. He and his campaign have certainly empowered these people, but their heinous actions are rooted in something far deeper.

Did you mean to respond to me? Not sure anything in my post could be construed as me saying there aren't many people of color in Mississippi or that people shouldn't visit Mississippi.

I was just jumping off. My bad.

I don't think there is a state with a worse reputation. Not just in matters of basic decency, but overall image of character, culture, economy, values, education, community, and the median individual.

Posts like this are what I'm talking about. Reputation is a great reason to avoid white Mississippi, but everyone should visit the Delta. There's rich history of African Americans that gets erased constantly by people ignoring it.

Tubobutts

You are aware that anti-semitism has a history stretching back more than a thousand years right?

I think that the desecration of this marker is a travesty... but... I don't get why you have to equivocate or mention the holocaust here, which was the direct result of centuries of antisemitism (which still exists), and holocaust memorials are desecrated fairly often.

Both are disgusting and can exist on their own without needing to compare and contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom