• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Emmett Till historical marker in Mississippi was destroyed by vandals — again

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy the Washington Post.

Washington Post said:
Now, less than a year later, a second state historical marker has been defaced, destroying information about the black teenager whose name became a civil rights rallying cry after he was kidnapped and murdered in 1955, according to the Associated Press.

The sign, unveiled in 2011, is part of the Mississippi Freedom Trail, a route that includes landmarks highlighting the state’s African American history. It stands within yards of the business — Bryant’s Grocery & Meat Market in the town of Money — where Carolyn Bryant, a 21-year-old white shopkeeper, alleged that Till offended her.

You may recall another marker being destroyed in October.

Not shocked. Motherfuckers hate us. Sucks that even more are completely indifferent.

If Emmett Till got killed in 2017 people would claim he was no angel because he smoked weed once.

I just don't understand why America has this problem. Are the white people there more stupid and ignorant then Europeans. I know where not perfect but it's actually whole new level over there.

NeOak

I just don't understand why America has this problem. Are the white people there more stupid and ignorant then Europeans. I know where not perfect but it's actually whole new level over there.
The European Education system is superior than the shitty "6 subjects per year" US system.

They can destroy as many markers as they want. They'll never destroy the meaning of his death.

I just saw the Emmett Till exhibit in the National Museum of African American History and Culture this month. I learned that Emmet Till's mother actually had an open casket funeral fir him, so everyone could see what white supremacy and racial violence did to him, no matter how gruesome he was. It's the first time in history an injustice like that was so heavily broadcast to the world. It was a wake up call to America, even if justice wasn't reached. You'll never take away the impact of that.

Heroman

Banned
They can destroy as many markers as they want. They'll never destroy the meaning of his death.

I just saw the Emmett Till exhibit in the National Museum of African American History and Culture this month. I learned that Emmet Till's mother actually had an open casket funeral fir him, so everyone could see what white supremacy and racial violence did to him, no matter how gruesome he was. It's the first time in history an injustice like that was so heavily broadcast to the world. It was a wake up call to America, even if justice wasn't reached. You'll never take away the impact of that.
I suggest you read the blood of Emmett till to get the I'll and very sad story

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

There are problems with education but also Europe really doesn't have America's history with race

It's just a matter of demographics. We are a huge country so naturally we have more total shithead racists. I would argue that percentage wise its the same for your country too but the problem is more visible here because of the volume.

There are problems with education but also Europe really doesn't have America's history with race

Only reason for that is because so many parts of Europe were homogeneous. Let's not forget african people weren't enslaved by Americans originally, it was Europeans.

guggnichso

Banned

Sadly, it's not much different in Europe. Just have a look at this for example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyerswerda_riots

Or look at some of those still existing jewish cemeteries regularly desecrated and painted with swastikas and anti-Israel paroles.

RinsFury

The amount of white racist hatred festering in the south scares me to death, I wouldn't feel safe ever visiting. It feels like the racism down there will never go away.

CvY_HGtUkAA9gQV.jpg

Glix

Yes. The post recently where someone was talking about being openly called an N-word in whatever country in Europe they were in really opened my eyes to how wonderful it is there.

Racism is everywhere and it is abhorrent and nasty EVERYWHERE. I'm so sick of these incredibly ignorant posts.

Though I am sure things are not equal for Black purple in Western Europe, I feel like the US just has a ridiculous hard-on for anti Black racism. We get blatant disrespect from our fellow citizens and our governments have made our criminalization and incarceration lucrative for the wealthy.

Europe did a lot of their enslavement overseas in the colonies but brought back all the marketing of the inferiority and ridiculing of Black people. Some former colonies aren't actually 100% "free" and are still forced to kick up money to their European masters.

Maybe i am just naive as to how it is to be Black overseas but from the mere 6 months total that I spent in Western Europe, I didn't get the same vibes from Whites over there like I do in America.
The amount of white racist hatred festering in the south scares me to death, I wouldn't feel safe ever visiting. It feels like the racism down there will never go away.
As stated before, its not just the South. MLK and Malcolm X called out racism in the North and Midwest as well. IIRC MLK found Chicago worse than the South. X found it ridiculous that White northern Liberals would travel to fight segregation down south when there was plenty of work to be done right in the states where they lived. Housing discrimination, redlining, and overpolicing were (and still are) major problems up North.

As a lifelong New Yorker, as of 2017 the state of race relations are nothing to be proud about and systemic racism is rampant as hell. Widespread discriminatory police enforcement, underfunded schools, segregated housing etc...

"As long as you are south of the Canadian border, you are in 'The South' " - Malcolm X

Fugu

You think it's any better in Europe? What say you to the rise of right-wing nationalism in virtually every European country?

See also: Contemporary European attitudes towards nonwhite immigrants, refugees, Roma.

The people who have this kind of hate I consider lost causes. There's no ignorance or lack of historical knowledge. These are people who know that an innocent black boy mutilated to death by searing hot white rage is the way the world is required to be.

I'm not surprised this country hates us. This is another reason i hate the fucking word minority, no other US group goes through the shit black people go through.

Trump just let them be more bold but it's always been there.
It wouldn't surprise me if Natives have it worse. At least our struggles are out in the forefront of the public's consciousness. Natives are out of sight and out of mind, so they are ripe for continued State sanctioned abuse as well. Their incarceration rates are also disproportionate. As psychologically tiring as it can be to be Black in America, I'd be angrier than a motherfucker too if I faced race discrimination with the added knowledge that my land was stolen by those currently oppressing me.

Top Bottom