• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emmett Till marker in Mississippi riddled with bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKasual

Banned
Should put up a new sign next to the original that also notes how the original sign was shot up in 2016.

The vandals are being stupid, in the end repairs/additions to these monuments come out of their tax money.

Rofl i actually support this idea. It sends a good message and paints the picture accurately.

Anyway, this isn't shocking. Stepping foot / driving down the wrong roads in some places in the south is terrifying if you aren't white. Some people down here actively broadcast that they're hateful.

If any of you are POC and live in Mississippi, please be safe.

Mississippi actually has the highest percentage of black people in the country.

Stats like that are why I get a bit squeamish when people write off ever visiting the state. White people here are, by and large, pretty racist, but the Mississippi Delta is one of the most interesting places in the country to visit. Birthplace of the blues, and food that tastes better than anything I've eaten. Stop by Clarksdale, MS and eat at Morgan Freeman's restaurant (and see the crossroads where Robert Johnson allegedly sold his soul to the devil to learn the blues); take a drive around the cotton fields; talk to older black people about their history here.

Whenever people trash Mississippi, they really mean "white Mississippi," which has been nothing but a blight on the country. But black Mississippi is a treasure that's created some beautiful contributions to America.

Kurdel

Banned
I will always remember how horrified I was when I first heard about the Emmet Till story when I was young (like 9-10).

Can't think of what kind of monster would hear that story differently than I did.

BigDes

I will always remember how horrified I was when I first heard about the Emmet Till story when I was young (like 9-10).

Can't think of what kind of monster would hear that story differently than I did.

Yeah. We covered it in A Level history. The book we used did not shy away from the condition he was found in and what he was put through.

and his scumbag murderers get a nice grave like they were decent people. They should be exhumed and dumped in the river.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The comments section of that article is a fucking cesspool of stupidity. I don't know what I was expecting though...

kswiston

He may have died due to a normal interaction and they made up a story. Then plotted to kill him. And judging from recent events shown on camera, i can believe that theory.

Oh man, that lady was a piece of work.

The quote that her husband gave to a magazine after he was acquitted of murdering Till, is an eye opener to the realities of racism during that time period.

Well, what else could we do? He was hopeless. I'm no bully; I never hurt a nigger in my life. I like niggers—in their place—I know how to work 'em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that nigger throw that poison at me, and I just made up my mind. 'Chicago boy,' I said, 'I'm tired of 'em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I'm going to make an example of you—just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.'

J. W. Milam, Look magazine, 1956

EDIT: Actually, the quote was from the brother-in-law, but same thing.

Lamel

Banned
Disgraceful. What happened to Till was a travesty beyond belief. Seeing the pics from his funeral makes it hard for me to imagine how someone can do that to a child.

I wonder what cause them do this now all of sudden?
Could be the current political and social rhetoric being thrown around, makes it a lot easier for racists to feel justified when a man running for president supports their views.

NastyBook

This is why I hate how history gets covered. This should be common knowledge for everyone, especially considering how it literally started the Civil Rights movement.

It you look close, you'll see the bullet holes vary in diameter which implies that multiple people were shooting. And given the number of holes, that makes more sense.
Thanks, edited post.
J. W. Milam quote
Man, I hope you died in agony.

A Composed Response: As a white guy living in Mississippi (down on the coast, specifically), I was just sickened by this act. I'm going to be phoning my representatives and the Governor's office today to petition for an immediate repair or replacement of this memorial.

A Less Composed Response: Fuck the shit-head racist assholes that felt it necessary to show that the same sentiment that killed Emmett Till is still alive and well in this sorry State. Not to say it ever went away, but this is just brazen fuckery that burns my ass and makes me ashamed.

kswiston

A fucking little boy! Wtf?

They used the "looked like an adult man" excuse that gets thrown around for killing/beating up/jailing black kids.

I know kids change pretty quickly around puberty, but this was him 8-9 months before he was killed.

Emmett_Till.jpg

Lubricus

Mississippi actually has the highest percentage of black people in the country.

Stats like that are why I get a bit squeamish when people write off ever visiting the state. White people here are, by and large, pretty racist, but the Mississippi Delta is one of the most interesting places in the country to visit. Birthplace of the blues, and food that tastes better than anything I've eaten. Stop by Clarksdale, MS and eat at Morgan Freeman's restaurant (and see the crossroads where Robert Johnson allegedly sold his soul to the devil to learn the blues); take a drive around the cotton fields; talk to older black people about their history here.

Whenever people trash Mississippi, they really mean "white Mississippi," which has been nothing but a blight on the country. But black Mississippi is a treasure that's created some beautiful contributions to America.

Great food- just don't go in the summer.

A Composed Response: As a white guy living in Mississippi (down on the coast, specifically), I was just sickened by this act. I'm going to be phoning my representatives and the Governor's office today to petition for an immediate repair or replacement of this memorial.

A Less Composed Response: Fuck the shit-head racist assholes that felt it necessary to show that the same sentiment that killed Emmett Till is still alive and well in this sorry State. Not to say it ever went away, but this is just brazen fuckery that burns my ass and makes me ashamed.
i like the cut of your jib, good sir.

cyress8

Banned

If you are up by Jackson/Clinton. I'll treat you to a beer. As a black male, I would love more people to be like you.

This is why I hate how history gets covered. This should be common knowledge for everyone, especially considering how it literally started the Civil Rights movement.

It's all about political correctness. Pretend in public that tens of millions of white folks didn't hate MLK and these civil rights "criminals" were heroes all along. Bury the history of all the blacks brutally mutilated, raped, and assassinated over time. Don't let more blacks write the history books and teach the courses.

If nothing else hopefully this will lead to more people learning his story. I had never heard of him until I fell down a very dark wiki hole.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't live in Mississippi (I'm in Kentucky at the moment), but I apologize for the rest of the white South. Absolutely disgusting.

People that do shit like this are the same ones that shout "but racism is dead" every time these situations happen. Despicable.

This is why racism is a disease that is malignant in the US. People aren't just ignorant and forget. They know they history deeply and still place little value in black lives. Treating a long dead boy as a pariah for molesting a white woman is more important than any truth about how the boy was a scapegoat for white violence and vengeance for black freedom and equality

The quote that her husband gave to a magazine after he was acquitted of murdering Till, is an eye opener to the realities of racism during that time period.

EDIT: Actually, the quote was from the brother-in-law, but same thing.
Man, even the worst of our racists know white supremacy exists here and is being actively defended and abused. Liberals with influence really need to catch the fuck up so we can have some change.

Didn't know about this Till story. Glad I know about it so I can tell it to my son when he is a little older.
There more of em too, a lot aren't known cause if small towns and what it then others are swept under the rug like Black Wall Street.

This isn't even surprising anymore, a lot of people are disgusting. Wish we could round em up and ship em off somewhere.

Man, even the worst of our racists know white supremacy exists here and is being actively defended and abused. Liberals with influence really need to catch the fuck up so we can have some change.
What makes you think they already aren't caught up and just don't give a fuck?

I still gladly spend the extra gas money to avoid Mississippi anytime I have to drive to the southeast from where I am. I will never forget how my friends and I were treated back in college when we stopped to get a bite to eat around Jackson. Fuck that state hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom