• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulation is legal...but companies are trying to stop you. It happened to me...let me help it NOT happen to you!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Luckily I have a pretty extensive background in IP / Copyright law and have taught it at the college level, putting me at a big advantage when I appealed the removal as incorrect. I managed to have the video reinstated in four hours and received an apology email shortly thereafter.

But I was still irritated as companies DONT want you to emulate, even if (in the United States) its a perfectly legal activity so long as you follow X/Y/Z rules. Companies are forcing content offline that shows allowable use of emulation / games...because they think if you don't know how to do it...you will just fork over more $$$ to them for the right to play what you already own.
Just curious what are the general X/Y/Z rules allowing emulation?

Feels ridiculous to even have to make a video like this...but sometimes it has to get done!

Last Saturday I had a PSP on Steam Deck tutorial removed for four hours as it was claimed as "harmful-illegal" / "teaching hacking and obtaining stolen credentials"...which could not be FURTHER from the truth.

Luckily I have a pretty extensive background in IP / Copyright law and have taught it at the college level, putting me at a big advantage when I appealed the removal as incorrect. I managed to have the video reinstated in four hours and received an apology email shortly thereafter.

But I was still irritated as companies DONT want you to emulate, even if (in the United States) its a perfectly legal activity so long as you follow X/Y/Z rules. Companies are forcing content offline that shows allowable use of emulation / games...because they think if you don't know how to do it...you will just fork over more $$$ to them for the right to play what you already own.

So...know your rights! Especially if you make tutorials teaching people how to use these amazing emulators. It's important we don't just all roll over

Curious GAF...who here does these kinds of tutorials? and have you ever been hit with a takedown? If so...dm me. I am curious

And if anyone ever needs help with this lmk. Happy to help!

Appreciate what you do btw keep up the great job

VGEsoterica

Just curious what are the general X/Y/Z rules allowing emulation?
Owning the game you have a dump for. Obtaining the bios yourself. Am I saying this is what people do? No

But when I teach people how to set up emulators I never touch the “where to obtain” portion. I tell you what you need, show you where to place the file, etc etc.

And that’s fine :) but if I said “go here to get X bios”…then I am on the wrong side of the rules

Kokoloko85

ill happily buy a copy of Pikmin on the Switch Eshop if nintendo would put it up. otherwise people will just resort to other methods to get the games they want

I agree, I have a few gamecube games still. The older or rare expensive games I understand. New games though not so much

Last edited:

Doczu

The company that did Night Trap, Double Switch, and Corpse Killer did great remasters of those games.
You'd have to pay me to play them. I wouldn't even want to emulate fmv games

it might sometimes actually
The developer of Darkwood released his own torrent on piratebay. Said that people would pirate his game anyway so he provided a clean copy with no malware attached. Game did so good it released on consoles.

Minecraft is another one. Notch was fine with people downloading it. It's not all black and white.

In the end I think warez did more bad than good for me, everytime I modded my system I actually stopped playing games lol. I had fun when I bought PSX games, I couldn't get every single one of them. Then I got persuaded into modding, played a few and cast it aside and started to buy and enjoy games again.

With emulation it was sort of the same, the odd unreleased game was fun, but I would get 300 SNES games and play about 6. I don't see the point besides some novelty like games released only in arcades or unreleased games. During the 360 gen everyone around me stopped modding their system, they wanted to play online without risk of being banned.

With movies its sort of the same. I never used torrents anymore since I have HBO, Showtime, Disney+ et al. Its just a hassle. I think if its readily available, lots of consumers will settle.
That is, until the stuff is taken down (see: much of the DC/WB animated library).

VGEsoterica

That is for CURRENTLY published ebooks, haha. It would be weird if those publishers DIDN'T do that.
The Internet Archives stance on this is utterly bizarre as they claim themselves to be a "library" while seemingly not understanding how libraries work.
I just mean them being shut down, not gaming related but it could stop them existing

Nihilum

What a world we would live in if Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft et al. decided to embrace emulation and have an online shop for their older ROMs. You could call it Good Old Roms. Sigh, it will never happen. "lollipop_disappointed::pie_disappointed:😞😥

hlm666

Luckily I have a pretty extensive background in IP / Copyright law and have taught it at the college level, putting me at a big advantage
What advice/tips would you give to none legal eagles that get hit with copyright strikes on youtube? I know it's probably somewhat unique between different situations but anything you can think of people should do at a general level?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Did I hear Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme ?

I think I heard Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme !

200.gif

I see it with my big eyes 😳

you could get a Vita instead enjoy all the best PSP games + gravity rush

But support Kat!

Gravity Rush is a value Gold game.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

What advice/tips would you give to none legal eagles that get hit with copyright strikes on youtube? I know it's probably somewhat unique between different situations but anything you can think of people should do at a general level?
Simple; no links to content, dont tell anyone where to get said content. Teach them HOW to set the emulator up and what files are needed...and leave it at that

coffinbirth

I just mean them being shut down, not gaming related but it could stop them existing
Well, they are a nonprofit that also has US government affiliations. They officially house large NASA archives, for instance. Anything's possible, but surely this will lead to -at the very least- better moderation of user uploaded content. Would be crazy if this got them shut down.

This case in particular crossed my radar because a company I do freelance work for is a Random house subsidiary and countless ebooks have been repeatedly uploaded to IA, for years on end now. These are all titles that do not fall under the DAISY umbrella, and IA knows this. They have basically been treated like a torrent site getting constant DMCA 's for quite some time, and much like those instances, they eventually lead to lawsuits. What's wild to me is that IA takes a stance of "information should be freely available" seemingly without regard for legality here. They seem to do a fairly good job of keeping newer video games off of there, and yet books are free game, apparently. Not sure about other media as I've not really looked for anything else there.

Anyways, sorry to ask a potentially dumb question here...but what "companies" or just company, were responsible for your video to get pulled? I didn't hear you mention it in the video, so apologies if I missed it.

Top Bottom