• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Awakened

ePSXe 1.9.0 WipEout 2097 - PlayStation 1
Here's a more "authentic" look for 2097 / XL via the Mednafen PSX core in RetroArch using the CRT-Royale shader and integer scale on:

retroarch-0105-195432rtulm.png

retroarch-0105-200148hku6h.png

The UI fonts especially look nice and uniform compared to the ePSXe shots. Here's a bonus shot of Wipeout 3 with ingame widescreen correction enabled:

retroarch-0105-194625peux6.png

Radius4

Can't beat RetroArch with the GTU shader for smeared N64 authenticity :p

Also about wipeout, yeah the widescreen hack is cool, It's not perfect of course but still

I notice you use the default CRT-Royale, don't you find it too busy? I tone it down a bit (mostly mask type 2, mask sampling 2 and I add the image adjustment shader to add some luminance)

BTW, if I'm posting too much let me know, this thread is just exciting :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Three per post or three.. period
Ok I'll refrain from posting for a few days :p

Also... noone is using quote tags...

More posts the better, just keep it within the threads rules. The screenshots are still interesting regardless of who's posting them

I am currently playing through the HD remaster and it looks way better than the emulated version IMO. AA aside, the ground and sky has something weird going on in these screens. The UI also looks quite bad here.

This is one of the reason I never like emulating games. There is always some weird issue with the upscaling e.g the text in Dragon Quest 8 =/

Here's a more "authentic" look for 2097 / XL via the Mednafen PSX core in RetroArch using the CRT-Royale shader and integer scale on:

I know the fonts and text get messed up, but I just like to set the resolution real high, the picture looks so sharp and clear then. It's like PS1 games were hiding a bunch of detail behind tons of grain. I find scanlines make the picture so dark.

Some Ridge Racer in ePSXe 1.9.0

epsxe2014-05-1417-44-adsag.jpg

epsxe2014-05-1417-45-28s9w.jpg

epsxe2014-09-0819-53-ugs18.png

gblues

Banned
I am currently playing through the HD remaster and it looks way better than the emulated version IMO. AA aside, the ground and sky has something weird going on in these screens. The UI also looks quite bad here.

This is one of the reason I never like emulating games. There is always some weird issue with the upscaling e.g the text in Dragon Quest 8 =/

There's a hack you can turn on in PCSX2 that fixes the text in DQ8. I don't remember the name of it off-hand.

Awakened

Also about wipeout, yeah the widescreen hack is cool, It's not perfect of course but still
I'm just using the ingame anamorphic widescreen in that shot, with the aspect set to 16:9 in RA. I haven't tried the widescreen hack in the beetle core yet.

I notice you use the default CRT-Royale, don't you find it too busy? I tone it down a bit (mostly mask type 2, mask sampling 2 and I add the image adjustment shader to add some luminance)
I had some customizations I used to use, but didn't really know what I was doing and figured TroggleMonkey's defaults were better. Except the border, which I always turn off since I don't like things near the edges being obfuscated. Your shots look pretty nice though, I might have to try those settings. Though I've had a hard time adding on extra shaders to Royale in the past, so I'm not sure if I could get the image adjustment shader working with it.

I know the fonts and text get messed up, but I just like to set the resolution real high, the picture looks so sharp and clear then. It's like PS1 games were hiding a bunch of detail behind tons of grain. I find scanlines make the picture so dark.
I don't know, to me your shots look like detail is lost by smudging the pixels together, much like HQ filters on 2D games. I used to not like scanline shaders for the same reason as you, but the newer stuff like Glow and Royale add enough light back to look bright enough to me. I think the scanlines and complex glowing phosphor stuff Royale and other CRT shaders do add a lot of detail to the image. Hell, it just looks cool to me. To each his own, of course.

I don't know, to me your shots look like detail is lost by smudging the pixels together, much like HQ filters on 2D games. I used to not like scanline shaders for the same reason as you, but the newer stuff like Glow and Royale add enough light back to look bright enough to me. I think the scanlines and complex glowing phosphor stuff Royale and other CRT shaders do add a lot of detail to the image. Hell, it just looks cool to me. To each his own, of course.

Yeah, I think it depends on the game. The smoothing of textures look a bit drastic on screens, but moving, especially in racers were the backgrounds zip past anyhow, I think it works well!

But yeah, tastes and all. I totally get your angle though!

Portugeezer

Could someone take some screenshots of Mario 64 DS?

Curious to see how it holds up in light of the fan remake video, as some other polygonal DS games look really good in high res.

jett

D-Member
Anyway, I want to showcase Nestopia's NTSC filter, which I adore, because the games pretty much look the way I remember them. Maybe they didn't look as clear and clean on my TV, but the colors and the way they bleed is pretty much perfect, like the text in MM5's title screen.

V5CIexo.jpg

JFyVxj5.jpg

RiUEgvZ.jpg

Some of the filters I've seen in this thread look weird to me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

That person of applying an oddly vertical scanline effect

The KH games look stellar emulated

pcsx2_r5350_2013_03_22_19_31_41_72_by_aloooo81-d8cuanf.jpg

Yeah, this filter makes it look like a old TV without the scan lines to get in the way.
I am going to set up some tonight. I get my BT controller later this week. I will use USB to test it out.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, this filter makes it look like a old TV without the scan lines to get in the way.
I am going to set up some tonight. I get my BT controller later this week. I will use USB to test it out.

It's nice because the emu gives you a lot of control over the filter

tn1ycku.jpg

Peltz

God knows why Nintendo stopped after Wind Waker HD

Dolphin (Wii) Super Mario Galaxy 2, 4x Native Scaling (2560x2112)

iVgxBr0yKev4X.png

ibpGYkPWjBxz62.png

ibjhq5FlpIn195.png

Holy shit. That's amazing. I REALLY want Nintendo to bust out the HD treatment for more games like they did for WWHD.

Radius4

Anyway, I want to showcase Nestopia's NTSC filter, which I adore, because the games pretty much look the way I remember them. Maybe they didn't look as clear and clean on my TV, but the colors and the way they bleed is pretty much perfect, like the text in MM5's title screen.

That's the thing, different shaders do different things, the nestopia filter you're using is a CPU filter intended to emulate NTSC, not just a CRT. That includes interference, degradation, etc.

For example these three shots:
This is blaarg cpu filter in nestopia libretro

this is maister's NTSC shader with the s-video preset, there is a 256px preset that has even more smearing and artifacts

This is royale, this attempts to simulate the screen only and it has lots of parameters (different masks from different kinds of monitors, etc)

Those shots are astonishing! can't wait for dolphin-libretro :D

Awakened

I tried AndresSM's Royale settings and they are quite nice. Even the banding seen on certain blue backgrounds is much less noticable at non integer scaling.

Mask type 2 (shadow mask) and mask sample mode 1.5 (any higher than that resulted in odd colored circles) in Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan:
Defaults:

And a bonus Ape Escape shot with the shadow mask:

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really wish the depth buffer worked in Dolphin. I'm just imagining what DoF could do for some of these games and uuuuurghhhh.

Game: Phazer v1.0
System: Commodore 128
Emulator: WinVICE 2.4 x64
Settings: 80 column mode, double size, double scan
OqgMYWH.png

In a thread now lost to the ether, I found an online copy of a game I wrote in the long long ago time. I wrote it inspired only by reading about Elite. Being the rightful copyright holder, I downloaded a copy of it, searched for a C-128 emu and booted that sucker up for major, major nostalgia feels. It might not look like much, certainly nothing like Elite, but this is my baby.

After I v1.0ed this one, I started work on a game inspired only by reading about an Amiga version of Larn (an early roguelike.) That one was much more involved, but instead of procedural levels, I was hand-building them and putting them in a separate file, with the intent of letting people build their own levels. I restricted it to the 40 column width so it would run on the C-64 (80 col mode is the only reason Phazer required the 128, it would actually run on the 64 side, but the text wouldn't be aligned.) The bare framework was in place, (movement, level loading, etc...) but it had a lot of polish to finish it off. I even made an ad for it that I put in my geoPublisher gamezine.

Dolphin + ReShade + MasterEffect ReBorn

Wind Waker

Metroid Prime

How do you install Reshade and Master Effect?

It asks me for a game with Reshade do I select Dolphin?

Also do they work with Texture mods? Seems to work with custom Textures but now everything is Dark as shit, like really really fucking dark, doesnt look good at all.

Will Master Effect fix this?

How do you install Reshade and Master Effect?

It asks me for a game with Reshade do I select Dolphin?

Also do they work with Texture mods? Seems to work with custom Textures but now everything is Dark as shit, like really really fucking dark, doesnt look good at all.

Will Master Effect fix this?
Yeah Dolphin is the game. I installed ReShade by just copying ReShade64.dll to the Dolphin directory and renaming it to dxgi.dll for the DX11 backend (or opengl32.dll for the OGL backend). Reshade is completely independent of texture mods. In the Wind Waker shot above I'm using Hypatia's HD textures. Can't imagine why everything's dark unless you've got some effect switched on in SweetFX or MasterEffect

And now, my next project (and one of my favorite games of all time):
Majora's Mask + ReShade + MasterEffect ReBorn

Yeah Dolphin is the game. I installed ReShade by just copying ReShade64.dll to the Dolphin directory and renaming it to dxgi.dll for the DX11 backend (or opengl32.dll for the OGL backend). Reshade is completely independent of texture mods. In the Wind Waker shot above I'm using Hypatia's HD textures. Can't imagine why everything's dark unless you've got some effect switched on in SweetFX or MasterEffect

And now, my next project (and one of my favorite games of all time):
Majora's Mask + ReShade + MasterEffect ReBorn

I just dragged the DLL to the dolphin directory and renamed it, what thell do I do with MasterEffect, the developer is a bit of a douche bag and basically says, you figure it out in the readme....

I just dragged the DLL to the dolphin directory and renamed it, what thell do I do with MasterEffect, the developer is a bit of a douche bag and basically says, you figure it out in the readme....
I believe all of the installation instructions are in the readme for reshade, so its understandable if marty doesn't want to respond to every person asking how to install his shaders. especially because installation is as simple as dragging the contents of the mastereffect download to the application directory

I believe all of the installation instructions are in the readme for reshade, so its understandable if marty doesn't want to respond to every person asking how to install his shaders. especially because installation is as simple as dragging the contents of the mastereffect download to the application directory

On a side note, it's not even reasonable at all for him to no write it once, the reshade instructions are completely shit and explained it pretty poorly.

Anyway.

I did as you said, I dont have any errors, but I can't see any difference at all.

How do I know if this mod is even working?

EDIT:

I got the curtains going across at first, dragged the MasterEffect stuff into the main directory, then got an error on start up probably because I tried to use the 64bit opengl file from reshade manually.

Redropped in the 32bitopen gl version renamed it, still does nothing.

DOUBLE EDIT:

ReShade now works, I have no effects enabled and it looks super dark still.

Dr. Buni

Dolphin + ReShade + MasterEffect ReBorn

Metroid Prime
Damn, this looks great. I can't wait to play Metroid Prime in HD.

Anyways, I have some Nocturne shots. They are nothing impressive, but still.

ib0QHfcS316c7a.png

irYCP6bgl55pQ.png

iuGS18jDq5LbO.png

I have more, but I don't want to break the rules of the thread.

I don't think bleem had higher internal res... Not sure anymore... It was long ago.
But I think they didnt lose the trial against Sony. Sony didn't shut them down. Bankruptcy did (legal fees).

Actually it was the internet era already and PSemu Pro was a thing already!

To expand on this, yes Bleem did have higher internal resolutions. Bleem was a High Level Emulator and was thus a LOT faster than PSemu Pro. Even though PSEP came out first, it was abandoned pretty quick and was quite a bit slower. That said, PSEP led the way for future projects in fpsce, epsxe, pcsx, etc which all used the plugin spec designed for PSEP.

And yes, Bleem died to legal fees and the fact that their Bleemcast moderately bombed. Pretty crazy cause Bleemcast was absolutely amazing... but the dreamcast market wasn't exactly bustling.

Top Bottom