• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Hikami

e799ebe9fe.png

66b17c2a09.png

404e21c355.png

bomblord1

Banned
Honestly surprised at the lack of this game in this thread
Something surprising about this game most HUD elements (aside from portraits) seem to render independent of resolution
slsexj-4pguir.png

For example the games minimap is incredibly sharp at any res.
slsexj-5pluas.png

slsexj-1t7u40.png

Performance is all over the place though. I cannot run this game 4X IR at a playable FPS but 2.5x with no AA runs great in most situations except for some completely random ones. Disable EFB to ram would fix this but it's needed to make the game work properly.

Red

You using an HD HUD? Looks pretty good overall. I don't like the ultra dirty look of Twilight princesses textures but that's just the way the game was designed.

No real need to use an HD replacement for the HUD in Twilight Princess, as it scales up nicely. The textures are abysmal, really goes to show how smart a move WW's artstyle was for this engine. Twilight Princess can look horrifying at times.

bomblord1

Banned
No real need to use an HD replacement for the HUD in Twilight Princess, as it scales up nicely. The textures are abysmal, really goes to show how smart a move WW's artstyle was for this engine. Twilight Princess can look horrifying at times.

Hmm the B, A, 2, and hearts look way too round.

epmode

Anyways, I have some Nocturne shots. They are nothing impressive, but still.

ib0QHfcS316c7a.png

irYCP6bgl55pQ.png

iuGS18jDq5LbO.png

I have more, but I don't want to break the rules of the thread.

Looks like you're stretching a 4:3 image to widescreen. The game shouldn't look like that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He said it wasn't. Maybe they're vector images?

You're right, that's my bad. I had thought it was another person responding.

I actually dumped the textures to check and it turns out that relative to most Wii games, the UI textures are just sort of higher res than needed. They do likely get slightly scaled to be viewed appropriately at 1920x1080, but not enough to be too stretched or rough looking.

rzde01_d734f49e_1_by_aloooo81-d8d1g60.png
rzde01_d1fc753b_3_by_aloooo81-d8d1g62.png
rzde01_abbeebc8_2_by_aloooo81-d8d1g65.png
rzde01_375b8877_0_by_aloooo81-d8d1g67.png
rzde01_7befa7b6_3_by_aloooo81-d8d1g69.png

bomblord1

Banned
You're right, that's my bad. I had thought it was another person responding.

I actually dumped the textures to check and it turns out that relative to most Wii games, the UI textures are just sort of higher res than needed. They do likely get slightly scaled to be viewed appropriately at 1920x1080, but not enough to be too stretched or rough looking.

rzde01_d734f49e_1_by_aloooo81-d8d1g60.png
rzde01_d1fc753b_3_by_aloooo81-d8d1g62.png
rzde01_abbeebc8_2_by_aloooo81-d8d1g65.png
rzde01_375b8877_0_by_aloooo81-d8d1g67.png
rzde01_7befa7b6_3_by_aloooo81-d8d1g69.png

Those are absolutely massive for a wii UI!

Jharp

How playable are the Super Mario Galaxy games with, say, an xbox 360 controller? I never owned a Wii and always wanted to play them. I really hope Nintendo puts out a Duology HD pack on Wii U.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How playable are the Super Mario Galaxy games with, say, an xbox 360 controller? I never owned a Wii and always wanted to play them. I really hope Nintendo puts out a Duology HD pack on Wii U.

Very, very playable. There are the rare gimmick stages like rolling the ball or the wave race where you'll have to change the controls, but otherwise everything plays great on a 360 controller.

Mapping IR pointer to the right stick and setting it only visible when left trigger is held lets you basically have full pointer control.

Can't beat RetroArch with the GTU shader for smeared N64 authenticity :p

Also about wipeout, yeah the widescreen hack is cool, It's not perfect of course but still

I notice you use the default CRT-Royale, don't you find it too busy? I tone it down a bit (mostly mask type 2, mask sampling 2 and I add the image adjustment shader to add some luminance)

BTW, if I'm posting too much let me know, this thread is just exciting :D

These are probably the most accurate N64 emulated shots I have ever seen, seeing that smearing effect really brought back memories of playing on my old CRT, thank you.

God damn, Polyphony has always been a master in the lightning repartment.

Here are some shots on Dolphin I took with Widescreen hack in a Triple screen environment and also some normal shots:

4692252284_b8027829d0_o.jpg

4691623005_c339239dc1_o.jpg

And not a screenshot, but my Triple screen setup with Ocarina of Time, emulation allows all sorts of wacky things, I love it.

iC6cgldVVv1FW.gif

Red

I tried playing over three screens once, but they were all different sizes, and I did it only for the novelty. Very nice set up you have, Unreal.

Dr. Buni

Looks like you're stretching a 4:3 image to widescreen. The game shouldn't look like that.
It is not stretched, the emulator is set to keep the original aspect ratio. Edit: I think Nocturne supports 16:9 as well as 4:3
Looks good. Don't know why but mines is a blurry mess >.<
Have you tried setting the resolution to 2x or 3x? Native resolution looks really blurry and ugly here, too.

epmode

It is not stretched, the emulator is set to keep the original aspect ratio. Edit: I think Nocturne supports 16:9 as well as 4:3

Trust me, it doesn't. I have the disc right here. The PS2 Classics version on PS3 doesn't have a widescreen mode either. Even disregarding the game's options, the character models in your screens look really squished compared to the version I've been playing in 4:3.

edit: The emulated version supports 16:9 but only with a widescreen hack/patch. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTYo-WPdEjw

The 3D looks fine in this video but it's definitely squished in your screenshots.

oh man, i usually like to play my games on the OG hardware but this thread is gonna make me dust off dolphin/pcsx2 and all these other emulators

god damn

Have you tried setting the resolution to 2x or 3x? Native resolution looks really blurry and ugly here, too.

Yup run most games at 6x

oh man, i usually like to play my games on the OG hardware but this thread is gonna make me dust off dolphin/pcsx2 and all these other emulators

god damn

nFSebim.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
12033824295_9ae9992af6_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/11258414825_2ec9425513_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5536/11258388293_00d816bb71_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn how is the game running for you? I can't get it to run well and look right. Still suffering from that weird splotch issue in the jungles. I tried for like a half hour fiddling with settings but nothing doing.

bomblord1

Banned
sakens-3ofutx.png

sakens-4uxrr9.png

sakens-5b1u66.png

Game sadly doesn't support 16:9 and the widescreen hack causes visual problems out the wazoo without actually extending the screenspace

bomblord1

Banned
Yep!

With regular config + speedhack settings it gets an almost locked 30fps Dipping to 29 and maybe 28 if there are loads of enemies.

With that plus cheatcode it can get an almost locked 60fps.

That's pretty awesome it amazes me how optimized some emulators are.

_Ryo_

That's pretty awesome it amazes me how optimized some emulators are.

PPSSPP is truly awesome. Though, the retroarch core won't play some games for me which I find strange as it plays perfectly in the normal emulator.

Also, ppsspp will only work on Linux on this computer. Windows' OpenGL implimation does not support the hardware on this laptop so, the emulator won't even load. They're working on Directx version but it is really far behind last time I checked.

Top Bottom