• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enjoy your switch for awhile. It's the GTA 5 story over again!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I keep reading rumors that the next Nintendo console is getting revealed soon and I call complete bullshit on that. The Nintendo switch was the best selling console last month and believe it's the best selling console this year.

Why in the hell would Nintendo show a new console when the current one still is selling well? It makes no business sense at all to dillute the product showing the next system.

Its just like GTA 5. Why has there been a decade in between GTA series? Because GTA 5 continued to sell so well it made no business since at all to discuss a sequel. You want to keep people's mind focused on the current product. When the product is hot it makes the most sense for a business to keep riding the money train.

If the Switch continues to sell well it maybe another few years for a next Nintendo console. They are still selling these systems at full price 7 years later. The system is still selling extremely well. They could even price cut these another $50 to spur another round of big sales if Nintendo wanted too.

I hear the rabble rabble argument the switch is too old and badly needs an update. Hell I would like a new updated Nintendo console. Do not expect a mention of one until the switch sales start to slide. Anyone expecting a next Nintendo console within the next year are completely delusional.

Last edited:

conpfreak

If the new system is backwards compatible, they will just price drop the Switch and move on. They have an entire slate of IPs to develop entries for, and those titles will probably focus on utilizing whatever new gimmick/feature the console will push.

They can certainly wait until next holiday if they want to, but a late Spring release is more likely.

Hardensoul

Yes, Nintendo is unlikely to move onto the next console until sales dip severely and all the discussion on a new system is BS. Let’s see what sales are like this Christmas before we can make educated guesses for next year.
Nintendo will rule this holiday, especial with 2 Mario games. Super Mario Brothers Wonder and SMB RPG will be huge. Japan looks to be a good indicator, for the last month since the Direct Switch has average 100k plus units sold per week.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Nintendo will rule this holiday, especial with 2 Mario games. Super Mario Brothers Wonder and SMB RPG will be huge. Japan looks to be a good indicator, for the last month since the Direct Switch has average 100k plus units sold per week.
I think you’re probably right. I am, however l, surprised that we didn’t see Nintendo (quietly) release a new Switch with a die shrink processor and lighter components to bring down manufacturing and shipping costs even further, and giving the consumer some extra battery life.

Which regions? Dollar sales or units? I do not follow every sales figures. NPD is hard to remember since they mostly give out dollar sales instead of units.
Worldwide, estimates for 2023 until May are:

PS5: 7.44m units
Switch: 5.88m units
Xbox Series 2.23m units

Source is VGC Sales for 2023

The gap will continue to widen until the end of the year, especially if Sony do any price cuts or release the Slim.

Robb

Gold Member
If both the software and hardware trajectory keeps pointing down I don’t see why they wouldn’t move on, even if sales are still good.

A downward trend for your only major product is not what shareholders want to see. Nintendo is going to want to move on sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I have 3 Switch games pre-ordered and 0 PS5 or XSX games and I’m about as big a graphics snob as they come. If even people like me are still buying Switch games then Nintendo have nothing to worry about other than where to store their cash.

Their last two big name games sold more in 3 days than 99% of games do in their lifetime.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Except the best selling console for the year is the PS5, not the Switch.
Switch #1 worldwide hardwares since TOTKS and mys thread

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If both the software and hardware trajectory keeps pointing down I don’t see why they wouldn’t move on, even if sales are still good.

A downward trend for your only major product is not what shareholders want to see. Nintendo is going to want to move on sooner rather than later.
They just had theres bests second quarter ever Nintendos dont cares about strong hardware they just makes the animations and gameplay for Zelda every 6 years you will nots see Switch 2 until 2027 bookmark it my friends my industry predictions never fail

Robb

Gold Member
They just had theres bests second quarter ever Nintendos dont cares about strong hardware they just makes the animations and gameplay for Zelda every 6 years you will nots see Switch 2 until 2027 bookmark it my friends my industry predictions never fail
All I know is that in the last FY report, both software and hardware were down simultaneously. I don’t think TotK by itself will offset that (but who knows). We’ll see soon enough.

They could have their best FY quarter of all time, but if things keep pointing down and they keep repeating that they don’t plan to move on that just means it’s time to sell your stock.

Last edited:

Zannegan

If the new system is backwards compatible, they will just price drop the Switch and move on. They have an entire slate of IPs to develop entries for, and those titles will probably focus on utilizing whatever new gimmick/feature the console will push.

They can certainly wait until next holiday if they want to, but a late Spring release is more likely.
I hope so. And if so, we should start getting a few leaks (and floods of wild-ass rumors) in the next few months.

Reactions: TLZ

sinnergy

Who didn’t saw this coming ? Switch is great btw, and has a great output of ga es by Nintendo .. switches will be the way forward for Nintendo the next 20 years . So get used to it .

Hardensoul

Xbox Series 2.23m units

The gap will continue to widen until the end of the year, especially if Sony do any price cuts or release the Slim.
May NPD and every week since TotK Japan had Switch being top seller. Is not an indicator of the gap widening.

What game is going to help PlayStation move units to help widen this PlayStations gap.

This looks to be a Mario year feeding off momentum of the success of the movie and the 2 games SMB rpg and Wonder will be huge this holiday!

TheProtector

Neo Member
All reports are saying that the Switch 2 is to be expected at earliest somewhere in 2024. And with the Holidays in mind (summer and Christmas) no way that Nintendo will announce the Switch 2 this year because nobody will buy the Switch during the holidays if you know that you can spend your money on the new Switch a couple of months later.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
All reports are saying that the Switch 2 is to be expected at earliest somewhere in 2024. And with the Holidays in mind (summer and Christmas) no way that Nintendo will announce the Switch 2 this year because nobody will buy the Switch during the holidays if you know that you can spend your money on the new Switch a couple of months later.
They have been reportings this since 2021

TheProtector

Neo Member
They have been reportings this since 2021
True but the reports about a 2024 release starts to pile up and even sources like Nikkei started to mention 2024:

One is rumored to be due out next year. "Development seems to be progressing well," a source close to Nintendo told Nikkei Asia. "But a product launch won't happen before next spring at the earliest."

Rykan

I keep reading rumors that the next Nintendo console is getting revealed soon and I call complete bullshit on that. The Nintendo switch was the best selling console last month and believe it's the best selling console this year.

Why in the hell would Nintendo show a new console when the current one still is selling well? It makes no business sense at all to dillute the product showing the next system.

Its just like GTA 5. Why has there been a decade in between GTA series? Because GTA 5 continued to sell so well it made no business since at all to discuss a sequel. You want to keep people's mind focused on the current product. When the product is hot it makes the most sense for a business to keep riding the money train.

If the Switch continues to sell well it maybe another few years for a next Nintendo console. They are still selling these systems at full price 7 years later. The system is still selling extremely well. They could even price cut these another $50 to spur another round of big sales if Nintendo wanted too.

I hear the rabble rabble argument the switch is too old and badly needs an update. Hell I would like a new updated Nintendo console. Do not expect a mention of one until the switch sales start to slide. Anyone expecting a next Nintendo console within the next year are completely delusional.

You don't wait to develop your new system until your current one declines or slows down. Developing and releasing a new system takes an enormous amount of work, scheduling, and planning. You can't just sit on the design for a new system and wait until your old system's sales slow down and then hit the "Go" button. That's just not how console development works.

I'm not making a prediction as to whether it will be soon or not, but I will say that current sales are not an indication of whether we will see a new Switch soon or not.

Last edited:

DoNotDisturb

Neo Member
You are crazy if you think Switch will be out for 7 years without a successor, it's been in downward sales curb for years and investors and players want a next gen, it's coming next year at the latest sorry, keep enjoying your Switch though

Also chinese Foxconn connect who leaked the Switch date back in the days confirmed Q1 2024 for a release, so yes this holiday will be the Swansong for the Switch 1, enjoy your Mario 2D

Last edited:

Hardensoul

You are crazy if you think Switch will be out for 7 years without a successor, it's been in downward sales curb for years and investors and players want a next gen, it's coming next year at the latest sorry, keep enjoying your Switch though

Also chinese Foxconn connect who leaked the Switch date back in the days confirmed Q1 2024 for a release, so yes this holiday will be the Swansong for the Switch 1, enjoy your Mario 2D
Switch basically had one of the biggest gaming year in history. A decline is not shocking news! If you consider 2 yrs from that is years… sure I guess!

The how big is the decline is the question. From what we’ve seen it isn’t that big and recent months the Switch is trending up.

Foxcon leak doesn’t confirm a date but it could possibly confirm Switch 2 is ready for production.

The question has always been when Switch 2 will come.

My prediction is no official word from Nintendo this year, but next year is reveal and possible Holiday release 2024!

TVexperto

i just cant go back to my switch after the steam deck, i hope the open up their system a bit for the next one. especially customizing my home screen

Raven77

There are a multitude of reasons they would move on from the switch next year/ soon that you haven't mentioned:

• Graphics - with each passing year, graphics on the other consoles improve while Switch's stagnate. This creates negative perception that Nintendo can only get away with for so long.
  • Games - new multiplatform games will start to leave Switch behind soon because getting their games to run will be too costly of an endeavor. This is just starting to happen but will accelerate.
  • Hype - Switch is selling great because at this point ALL of it's heavy hitter games like Zelda totk have been released. There are no mega system sellers on the horizon. It's out of gas.

Last edited:
May NPD and every week since TotK Japan had Switch being top seller. Is not an indicator of the gap widening.

What game is going to help PlayStation move units to help widen this PlayStations gap.

This looks to be a Mario year feeding off momentum of the success of the movie and the 2 games SMB rpg and Wonder will be huge this holiday!
Winning 2 months in a row WW is not an indication the system is selling better than the other, Globally in Japan is not thing, considering that in US, UK, Spain and many other countries, the PS5 is #1 in units YTD.

As for the reasons why the gap will increase more I can include:
- Spider-Man 2
- Price cuts/PS5 Slim
- More Games are going current gen only

And most importantly, Stock is now not an issue.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Why has there been a decade in between GTA series?

Because after GTA V development on RDR2 started in full force, and took about 6/7 years.

Leslie Benzies left
Lazlow left
One of the Houser bro's left

After RDR2 dev on GTA6 started full force.

Reactions: TLZ

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
At this point i don't care how much more powerful it is, I just want a Switch 2 at this point. It's been 6 years since we got a sandbox 3D mario and lord knows Nintendo will not be making another one unless they make a new console to warrant it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You are crazy if you think Switch will be out for 7 years without a successor
this is the same nintendo which kept the gameboy on life support for 10 years. 13, if you don't count the Game Boy Color as a real upgrade.

They will keep this money train going if they want to

mrcroket

Winning 2 months in a row WW is not an indication the system is selling better than the other, Globally in Japan is not thing, considering that in US, UK, Spain and many other countries, the PS5 is #1 in units YTD.

As for the reasons why the gap will increase more I can include:
- Spider-Man 2
- Price cuts/PS5 Slim
- More Games are going current gen only

And most importantly, Stock is now not an issue.
Price cuts....:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Codes 208

physical slot for Switch 1 games or BUST on switch 2
I suspect theyll do the same thing they did when going from gb to gbc or ds to 3ds where the physical reader and cartridges are mainly unchanged, but with a slight adjustment to the newer cartridges to prevent them from placed into older hardware

Mr Moose

Xbox Series 2.23m units

VGChartz?
we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Which regions? Dollar sales or units? I do not follow every sales figures. NPD is hard to remember since they mostly give out dollar sales instead of units.
No idea about WW but in NA PS5 is ahead in both units and dollar sales YTD (as of May). I think they will be releasing June info soon-ish.

_Ex_

The Switch sold batshit numbers the previous two months because that was during Tears of the Kingdom's release, remember? I'd wager quite a few of those Switch purchases were the same people who sold off their Switch after beating Breath of the Wild back in 2017. A new Zelda finally came out and they bought another Switch to play it. Afterwards that self-same Switch will collect dust until it ends up on eBay.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Imagine an X and Y graph with "years" and "sales" as axes and a descending curve. Companies don't wait to the sales of their console drop to 0 to announce the new machine. Ovbiously there are another factors. But you catch my drift. They want a straight or a ascending line in profit. Ergo de facto they launch the console pursuing that.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Honestly, I think there’s a sensible argument to be made that it’s not even in the preliminary stages of development, for precisely the reasons you stated.

There’s not a lot of sense in speccing the thing let alone starting to make production enquires until they know what technological landscape it will be attempting to compete in.

I know that recently Nintendo has never been a company interested in the arms race, but who knows when it will be financially sensible to release it, it’s ever shifting goalposts at this point.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

I really don’t mind. It’s been 2 years since the OLED, and this beauty is still roaring. My only wish for the successor is that it maintains the premium look and feel. I’d be sad if Switch 2 looks like a toy again. Otherwise, keep bringing the games, I say.

Onironauta

Games take years to make, so they have to come up with up a prototype of the next console years before release, they can't wait for sales to plummet.

Based on this post's logic, why would have Nintendo even announced the 3DS while the DS was still going strong in 2010?

Last edited:
Top Bottom