• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enjoy your switch for awhile. It's the GTA 5 story over again!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Still saying Spring 2025. 8 year cycle.

Been very boring explaining to people that a Switch Pro, Switch 4K, Switch 2 etc. are not "around the corner" for the last 4 years because they cannot fathom why the successor to the Game Boy is selling so well.

LakeOf9

If you think companies wait for their current console to stop selling before starting work on a new one, you’re an idiot.

If you think companies design new consoles and then sit on them for years waiting for the current one to stop selling, all while stringing manufacturing, supply chain, retail, marketing, and development and publishing partners along, you’re an idiot.

TLDR I don’t know when the Switch successor is coming, but if you think Nintendo holds it back because the existing Switch keeps selling, you’re an idiot

Hardensoul

VGChartz?
we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

No idea about WW but in NA PS5 is ahead in both units and dollar sales YTD (as of May). I think they will be releasing June info soon-ish.

Yes, but my point is PS5 lead is not widening. Your tweet confirms Switch came ahead in May and the only weekly data we get in Japan says Switch is trending up since TotK and Nintendo direct. I don't know what PS5 lead is but indicators say Switch is the conversation for catching up to PS5 or selling as much as PS5.

But my prediction Switch will come up top in the Holiday period.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Winning 2 months in a row WW is not an indication the system is selling better than the other, Globally in Japan is not thing, considering that in US, UK, Spain and many other countries, the PS5 is #1 in units YTD.

As for the reasons why the gap will increase more I can include:
- Spider-Man 2
- Price cuts/PS5 Slim
- More Games are going current gen only

And most importantly, Stock is now not an issue.
You said the gap is widening, I said the gap is not widening. You said your self Switch out sold PS5 last couple months, doesn't that contradict that the gap is widening?

I didn't dispute PS5 is selling more this year. I don't know how much PS5 lead is.

My only prediction was that Switch will sell more this Holiday due to SMB Wonder and SMB RPG.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes, but my point is PS5 lead is not widening. Your tweet confirms Switch came ahead in May and the only weekly data we get in Japan says Switch is trending up since TotK and Nintendo direct. I don't know what PS5 lead is but indicators say Switch is the conversation for catching up to PS5 or selling as much as PS5.

But my prediction Switch will come up top in the Holiday period.

Yes its all true my friends TOTK has changed the industries

Hardensoul

I am looking forward to Switch 2 because as a Wii U owner this generation feels like it is 11 yrs old. lol.
Me too, I felt like I've rebought most Wii U exclusives :messenger_loudly_crying:. I'm still on launch Switch. With Switch still selling well, I just can't help to but think Switch 2 launch will be further out.

Every Switch sale also could mean a smaller initial launch base for their next system, with less potential to sell or licence games. Nintendo is a publicly traded company so they need to keep investors confident about their long term approach, not reliance on old products.

PS4 was selling like hot cakes, best sold console after PS2...they still made PS5. I dont understand your logic. Companies dont make new consoles because they stopped selling old ones, they UPGRADE. You cant run new games on a 10 year old hardware especially with third party that is constantly using new tech. Already a lot of games are potato mode on the Switch. It was outdated hardware even on release. We all saw what happens to sales if third party wont make games for your consoles (WiiU).

Hardensoul

PS4 was selling like hot cakes, best sold console after PS2...they still made PS5. I dont understand your logic. Companies dont make new consoles because they stopped selling old ones, they UPGRADE. You cant run new games on a 10 year old hardware especially with third party that is constantly using new tech. Already a lot of games are potato mode on the Switch. It was outdated hardware even on release. We all saw what happens to sales if third party wont make games for your consoles (WiiU).

You misremember, PS4 was declining badly from peak of 20mill in 2016 to 13.5mill in 2019. PS5 release next November 2020.

Sorcerer

The recent announcement of games coming out has to be the last breath/hurrah for the Switch. There's no way Nintendo is not developing the next wave of games of that caliber for the next console. It's great that Switch is being sent off to Valinor with such a great lineup. That usually does not happen. But it makes sense to end on a high note to get people excited for the new console. Very Mario heavy ending for the Switch. I imagine this means the successor will launch with a mainline Mario game and probably an announcement of a new Mario movie in the works.

Raonak

Banned
Nintendo should just never make more advanced hardware ever again. Just keep re-releasing the switch in different flavours.

Switch XL doesn't exist yet right?

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That’s not historically accurate, at all. PS4 sales were in free-fall.

Moreover, 3rd parties chase platforms with large install bases, not the other way around. Wii U did not fail because of a lack of 3rd party software, the deficit was because of the low hardware sales. Same reason 3rd party are not investing in AAA PSVR games at the moment.

EDMIX

I keep reading rumors that the next Nintendo console is getting revealed soon and I call complete bullshit on that. The Nintendo switch was the best selling console last month and believe it's the best selling console this year.

And? You could have said that about the Wii and we still got Wii U.

I don't know what to say buds, a system being successful doesn't actually mean Nintendo just stops making hardware and I don't know where this fucking myth comes from lol DS sold bonkers, you got a 3DS.... The company is not 1 dimensional and can merely sell both during that transition, that being said...I don't see any evidence that you will not see a Switch 2, based on the success of Switch 1, ironically I'd argue that is 100% why you would see a Switch 2....

Its just like GTA 5. Why has there been a decade in between GTA series? Because GTA 5 continued to sell so well

Nah, you basically made that up lol Shit, why would we get RDR2 then? Its not like during that time nothing was fucking happening, so why say "been a decade" and then fucking leave out the team made a AAA beast that moved 50 plus million units? smh

Stop trying to fucking force narratives by leaving out context.

The very team that made The Last Of Us in 2013, made The Last Of Us 2 and that took longer for them to make, then Rockstar from GTAV to RDR2, so in the ball park of 5 years to put out RDR2 from GTAV's 2013 release.

So that is 5 years vs 7 years. Clearly, that isn't something one can just fucking pretend the success of The Last Of Us 1 is why it took 2 about 7 years to make, as if they are just fucking counting money and just deciding to make a game when the last one stops selling

I have no clue why folks keep spreading this fudd btw, it has little basis and nothing we've ever heard for anyone at Rockstar or their publisher has ever made some comment about NOT MAKING GAMES cause of high sales, how the fuck do you explain RDR2? How do you explain the leak of GTAVI clearly confirming it was being worked on?

So with all due respect, your point would make much more sense if RDR2 never released and GTA VI never leaked and Rockstar and Take Two made many statements like "we are currently doing nothing here, GTAV is selling soooo good, we want no more money, we are full and are tired of money" lol

To stress my point even further, what the fuck does Rockstar have to do with Nintendo? The company itself has many many systems regardless of success and you even fucking got a BoTW sequel despite it selling massive units, why would they do a sequel if their mindset is to keep selling and make ZERO NEW VERSION OF SOMETHING ala GTAV? =)

Some theory bud...

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
And? You could have said that about the Wii and we still got Wii U.

I don't know what to say buds, a system being successful doesn't actually mean Nintendo just stops making hardware and I don't know where this fucking myth comes from lol DS sold bonkers, you got a 3DS.... The company is not 1 dimensional and can merely sell both during that transition, that being said...I don't see any evidence that you will not see a Switch 2, based on the success of Switch 1, ironically I'd argue that is 100% why you would see a Switch 2....
This..

PS2 (best selling console of all time) sold very well after PS3 released. Nintendo actually released consoles for 3 decades, although their prior systems were (still) on top of sales charts.

Trying to debate the opposite is quite mad imo.

I hope not. If they had sense they would release the Switch 2 while their current console is selling well. The opposite holds true. You want to release it while interest is high in the Switch not when it is in decline. Yes, sales would decrease but that's irrelevant because those people who would have bought the Switch will instead get the Switch 2. No loss for Nintendo.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This..

PS2 (best selling console of all time) sold very well after PS3 released. Nintendo actually released consoles for 3 decades, although their prior systems were (still) on top of sales charts.

Trying to debate the opposite is quite mad imo.

The ps2 got down to $99 as well to hit those numbers. The switch will get close at $350. The switch lite has negligible sells at $200 in comparison to the main switch.

The question yet to be answered is if the switch will continue to be sold at a cheaper priced once the next console is out? I personally doubt it but you never know they sold the Wii for a while in some regions after the wiiu was out. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That’s not historically accurate, at all. PS4 sales were in free-fall.

Moreover, 3rd parties chase platforms with large install bases, not the other way around. Wii U did not fail because of a lack of 3rd party software, the deficit was because of the low hardware sales. Same reason 3rd party are not investing in AAA PSVR games at the moment.

And low hardware sales of the WiiU were directly because third party gave up on them therefore huge mainstream games werent released, let alone other real classics just skipped the WiiU so people jumped ship. PSVR is still a niche, a new nintendo console didnt have bad sales because it was niche lol.

Again, it has nothing to do with sales when you release new consoles. Software sells consoles. PS4 was the second best selling PS console....they cant continue to sell indefinately. If it were sales, PS3 would of ended its generation 3 years in. But they made it work in the end. If we are going by sales and drops, why doesnt the xbox release a year or two earlier when their sales were abysmal during X1 era? The switch is on life support, just remember Mario Kart you are playing now is a WiiU game, same for BOTW and many others.

Why do they keep selling a new iPhone every year when the last one is still selling like hot cakes? Flawed logic. You dont make new product when the old one starts failing, thats marketing suicide. You have to keep up with trends and new interest from people. Once third party start struggling to release a barely 30fps game they will bail because it ruins their reputation as a developer for releasing potato mode release.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

And low hardware sales of the WiiU were directly because third party gave up on them therefore huge mainstream games werent released, let alone other real classics just skipped the WiiU so people jumped ship. PSVR is still a niche, a new nintendo console didnt have bad sales because it was niche lol.

Again, it has nothing to do with sales when you release new consoles. Software sells consoles. PS4 was the second best selling PS console....they cant continue to sell indefinately. If it were sales, PS3 would of ended its generation 3 years in. But they made it work in the end. If we are going by sales and drops, why doesnt the xbox release a year or two earlier when their sales were abysmal during X1 era? The switch is on life support, just remember Mario Kart you are playing now is a WiiU game, same for BOTW and many others.

Why do they keep selling a new iPhone every year when the last one is still selling like hot cakes? Flawed logic. You dont make new product when the old one starts failing, thats marketing suicide. You have to keep up with trends and new interest from people. Once third party start struggling to release a barely 30fps game they will bail because it ruins their reputation as a developer for releasing potato mode release.
Stop with WiiU revisionist history. WiiU sold under 14k in 5yrs. That’s almost same as PS4 sold year before PS5 released.

Nintendo had trouble with HD game’s development they didn’t have the heavy hitters at launch. No NSMB was not going to move the needle, it looked like same game as Wii version.

I remember the draught after launch, 3DS also had a bad launch. Nintendo chose to back the 3DS more. During this time more games were develop/release more on 3DS. I have a 3DS, it was great software. But every direct, us fans were wondering/complaint why couldn’t those 3DS games aren’t WiiU games

3rd parties basically jumped ship after launch, WiiU wasn’t selling and their software wasn’t selling. Nintendo 1st party later got Mario Kart/3D World and Splatoon saved them in software sales. But it was already too late hardware sales was still shit.

Zelda BoTW had to be delayed for inevitable Switch port.

I have 3 Switch games pre-ordered and 0 PS5 or XSX games and I’m about as big a graphics snob as they come. If even people like me are still buying Switch games then Nintendo have nothing to worry about other than where to store their cash.

Their last two big name games sold more in 3 days than 99% of games do in their lifetime.
But the majority of people aren't like you. Using yourself as the barometer for the rest of the population is .... mislead.

Zannegan

I don't think this is entirely accurate. Players didn't jump ship because of a lack of third parties on Wii U. Third parties jumped ship because of a lack of players.

Of course, to your point, it's a cyclical problem. A lack of games will slow the adoption of a system even more. But the Wii U actually had a decent amount of third party support at the outset, especially from Ubisoft, and it still struggled out the gate. It even had Call of Duty. None of that gave it even a shadow of the success of the Wii, which sold gangbusters in spite of a lack of third party games. In fact, the Wii gained more and more third party support as it went because of its popularity.

I see your point that a console's library has an impact on how well it does. It's certainly a factor, and logically, it seems like that should be the driving force behind any console's success or failure, but history doesn't always bear that out. In the Wii U's case, the console was floundering long before it lost all 3rd party support. The Switch has done amazingly (even giving second life to many of the games that failed on Wii U) despite lacking many 3rd party games. Like the Wii, its increasing sales have attracted more "impossible" third party ports, not the other way around.

Maybe it's just a Nintendo thing, I dunno.

Last edited:

Neff

They won't stop selling Switch 1 for a long time after Switch 2 releases. They'll repackage/redesign it, sell it at a budget price, and continue to shift millions.

tr1p1ex

Wii U was too much $$$$. And confused some with the Wii branding but having a Gamepad as the controller.

The Gamepad made it expensive. GAmepad to Wii U was like Kinect to Xbox One for how it added expense but didn't appeal enough.

The thing with the Wii U too is the proposition was odd considering NIntendo also sold a handheld with totally separate games. Hey buy our console with a handheld (Gamepad) as a controller which probably adds $100+ to the cost of the Wii U and also buy our handheld which is $180 or so and plays a different set of games. I mean should have been buy our handheld and use that as a controller for the Wii U and then supply a few games that really use the two like Nintendoland and put some features in the games like they did that use the two. And of course the 3ds would have had to be a little more robust. Anyway that era made obvious what had been brewing for awhile. Nintendo needed to go to 1 platform. And thus the Switch was born. It was too much of an ask by then to ask the customer to buy 2 platforms every generation to play Nintendo's games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't see any evidence that you will not see a Switch 2, based on the success of Switch 1, ironically I'd argue that is 100% why you would see a Switch 2....
why take another risk and gamble on a brand new system (which BTW, Nintendo never usually replicates the success of a first system with the second iteration. See GB to GBA, NES to SNES, Wii to Wii U, DS to 3DS, etc etc etc) when you can just keep milking the current system for all its worth?

I can see the Switch still staying alive for the next half decade honestly. Not like people care about power when it comes to nintendo systems anyways, what would they need newer hardware for? Games like BOTW and TOTK sell millions despite running on a souped up 360

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Again, no developer is going to spend money creating software for a system with no install base. Install base is what brings in developers, not the other way around.

Mobile phones are not the same category as video game consoles, the market there is MUCH bigger and the margins are astronomically higher. There is no comparison.

EDMIX

I can see the Switch still staying alive for the next half decade honestly.

lol, sure people will use it, but Nintendo will move on.
why take another risk and gamble on a brand new system

1. Nintendo is known for taking risk. No risk, no reward.
2. Who is to say the next system will even be a "risk"? They might go very conservative and merely do a Switch 2. ie same concept, more power ala Super Switch. (but for real they need to be calling it Switch 2 to drive home it is a different system lol)

I don't see enough here to really suggest Nintendo will stop here or something. Selling well doesn't mean Nintendo stops, it makes no sense and nothing in their history has ever suggested that they do that based on how well something is selling.

Like...nothing.

Nintendo never usually replicates the success of a first system with the second iteration. See GB to GBA, NES to SNES, Wii to Wii U, DS to 3DS, etc etc

I'm not arguing if Switch will be a success, merely their history of reaping certain concepts. Like with DS to 3DS, they can't fucking control the mobile phone market for anyone to pretend they could have done anything about 3DS selling less then DS, the point is merely they will have a conservative jump and merely do the same concept again as it makes sense in this situation.

Top Bottom