• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

"You know, Amy, it's not too late. We can still try for a baby."

I don't have that line quite correct, but damn it was good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And if she doesn't, it won't faze her.

She's just a woman who's over it. ;)

AOM2qop.gif

Empty

oh man that hurts

alexander payne and enlightened is just a perfect combination and a lynch episode would be fascinating.

Empty

the one time i wish someone used showtimes philosophy!

anyway i'm sure everyone in here is savvy enough tv followers that this is old news, but i highly recommend orange is the new black to fans of enlightened. i think they hit very similar notes. admittedly it lacks the spiritual feel, but it has loads of stories of women trying to build themselves in hostile environments and is full of the empathy, grounded human drama and earned, emotionally powerful character moments that enlightened excelled in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It didn't grow? Umm...yeah. It did. By almost double. What did they really expect though? They paired it with Girls (which was already low rated to begin with) in fucking January without the usual big lead in these types of shows usually get on HBO. They should have been more than happy with the growth.

Other tweets note "it wasn't a financial decision."

Enlightened was the most acclaimed HBO series in years and you ended it because you felt like the story was over? Even though the brilliant creative said otherwise? Ughhhhghhghghghgh

the one time i wish someone used showtimes philosophy!

anyway i'm sure everyone in here is savvy enough tv followers that this is old news, but i highly recommend orange is the new black to fans of enlightened. i think they hit very similar notes. admittedly it lacks the spiritual feel, but it has loads of stories of women trying to build themselves in hostile environments and is full of the empathy, grounded human drama and earned, emotionally powerful character moments that enlightened excelled in.

It's on the top of my "to watch" list when I re sub to Netflix later this year.

anaron

^ you'll love it Ratsky. It's easily in my top 5 TV of the year so far.

But yeah, HBO is just further confirming what I already suspected. They weren't that supportive of the show and are just as dumb as other executives.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
^ you'll love it Ratsky. It's easily in my top 5 TV of the year so far.

I'm excited! :3

btw, what are your other top 4 shows?

But yeah, HBO is just further confirming what I already suspected. They weren't that supportive of the show and are just as dumb as other executives.

I think so too. For whatever reason they just weren't as supportive as they should have been. I can understand having to cancel a show due to financial reasons, but he flat out said that that wasn't the case with Enlightened, and if the creative team wants to do another season I don't feel like the execs should be overriding that. It'd be like if they decided to cancel Game of Thrones after season 3 because they felt like the story was over or something like that, even when it clearly wasn't. WTF

Has anyone picked up Enlightened -- season 2 yet? Has it been released on bluray? I found that it's available for regular DVD on Amazon.

inm8num2

I have no earthly idea why this show would get a season 1 bluray release but not a second.

Before cancellation HBO probably wanted to cover both formats to satisfy all customers and maximize potential for new fans. This time around the show is canceled and they probably just don't care.

If that's the case, HBO should just sign off the rights to Mike White and allow him to produce a third season on Netflix. It would be the perfect format for that show. Such a shame. Both White and Laura Dern had a passion for this show only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NBC Nabs Chef Comedy From Mike White

Enlightened creator/exec producer Mike White has teamed with Joe Port and Joe Wiseman for an untitled single-camera comedy, which has gone to NBC with a put pilot commitment. Written by Port and Wiseman, the ensemble workplace comedy centers on a driven but naive 16-year-old prodigy chef who gets a job working in the kitchen for his idol, a temperamental and unpredictable celebrity chef.

Poor Mike White is stuck making comedies for NBC now. Damn you HBO!

Empty

it's going to be a moving, personal coming of age story about a young adult learning to deal with how his idealistic dream of being a great chef, formed as a kid and motivating him through his life so far and wedded to a misplaced hero worship of a celebrity chef, clashes with the difficult reality and stresses of professional cooking and starting at the bottom of the totem pole with other people getting credit for your work.

while also touching on the anxities and perfectionism in professional cooking, examining the conflict between artistry and commerce and the stresses of the public scrutiny and demands of being a celebrity chef.

lol jk it's probably gonna be a scripted version of a gordon ramsey show

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
it's going to be a moving, personal coming of age story about a young adult learning to deal with how his idealistic dream of being a great chef, formed as a kid and motivating him through his life so far and wedded to a misplaced hero worship of a celebrity chef, clashes with the difficult reality and stresses of professional cooking and starting at the bottom of the totem pole with other people getting credit for your work.

while also touching on the anxities and perfectionism in professional cooking, examining the conflict between artistry and commerce and the stresses of the public scrutiny and demands of being a celebrity chef.

That sounds awesome! Someone hire this man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom