• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enter The Gungeon |OT| Praise the gun

jtar86

We should perhaps have an organized way to remind devs, say, a couple of weeks before release that they can coordinate their releases to the same time.

This happens way too often!
He said on Richard Hammers stream last night that he wants to be awake when it goes live on steam because he can fix it right away. He didn't care about Ps4 because he can't fix it right away anyway. He would have to wait for cert either way. He can push patches to steam right away.

data

He said on Richard Hammers stream last night that he wants to be awake when it goes live on steam because he can fix it right away. He didn't care about Ps4 because he can't fix it right away anyway. He would have to wait for cert either way. He can push patches to steam right away.

That's a lot of ways

antitrop

Everything is pitch-perfect so far after one level.

Ya, basically feels exactly like you hope it would, the mechanics are tight. I like that it lets you adjust the intensity of the autoaim. Basically feels like someone turned the original Zelda's dungeons (or, ya know, Binding of Isaac) into a twin-stick shooter.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
OK so I just got past the tutorial and defeated the first boss.

First off all the game is hilarious! The first boss I faced was a bird that grabbed a Gatling gun and flexed so hard all its feathers fell off, revealing a perfectly chiseled muscular body underneath.

The gameplay feels very satisfying and there are a lot of smart decisions. There are a generous amount of teleporters spread around the dungeon meaning you won't have to constantly run back and forth and backtrack like Binding of Isaac.

The graphics are a little too pixelated/chunky for my liking, especially when it comes to picking up items and stuff but I'll get used to it.

Can't wait to play more!

Slixshot

Banned
OK so I just got past the tutorial and defeated the first boss.

First off all the game is hilarious! The first boss I faced was a bird that grabbed a Gatling gun and flexed so hard all its feathers fell off, revealing a perfectly chiseled muscular body underneath.

The gameplay feels very satisfying and there are a lot of smart decisions. There are a generous amount of teleporters spread around the dungeon meaning you won't have to constantly run back and forth and backtrack like Binding of Isaac.

The graphics are a little too pixelated/chunky for my liking, especially when it comes to picking up items and stuff but I'll get used to it.

Can't wait to play more!

That was my first boss! Hilarious! I took a screenshot

antitrop

How does it compare to Nuclear Throne?

Very similar, the real major difference is that Gungeon is a dungeon crawl while Throne has a more linear progression to its levels.

Like, you don't need a map to play Nuclear Throne. Other than that, the shooting feels pretty much the same. Good feel to the mechanics and the audio/visual feedback is very satisfying.

Had the 3rd boss down to a pixel and died.

On that floor I came across two section that were really weird they were big doors with huge keys on them. I have no idea how you would get them. I guess the vendor sells them. There are also shrines where I think you can sacrifice something.

Pretty cool little stiff to figure out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Had the 3rd boss down to a pixel and died.

On that floor I came across two section that were really weird they were big doors with huge keys on them. I have no idea how you would get them. I guess the vendor sells them. There are also shrines where I think you can sacrifice something.

Pretty cool little stiff to figure out.

Yeah the vendor sells keys. I bought one for $21 but died before I could use it.

Very similar, the real major difference is that Gungeon is a dungeon crawl while Throne has a more linear progression to its levels.

Like, you don't need a map to play Nuclear Throne. Other than that, the shooting feels pretty much the same. Good feel to the mechanics and the audio/visual feedback is very satisfying.

NT is relentless intensity. EtG is broken up into floors with rooms like Isaac.
Hmm, alright. I'd like to check it out but I'm not totally sold on it at the moment. The guns and patterns look interesting (and as you said it's not nonstop teeth grinding chaos like NT)

Thanks

Sonofa... I bought it on GMG thinking it was released because I saw so many people playing it. Should have looked on Neogaf for the OT first.

First run only lasted 5:22 lol - after getting through the tutorial without getting hit.

Definitely going to get my money's worth out of this one.

RedFury

I thought that was a Vulcan Raven reference.

nikos

Super early impressions:

Gameplay is fun.
It's a roguelike, which I didn't realize before purchasing. Not a fan of the genre at all, as I don't like backtracking, but the cohesive map and teleporting system make it bearable.
I lost to a boss, had to clear a newly generated area, then fought a different boss. Not sure what that was about.
Nothing seemed to carry over after dying, from what I could tell, so it felt like I wasn't making any progress.

Those are my immediate impressions. I'll have to give the game a proper try when I'm not half asleep.

hawk2025

Came across that room again. It has a girl in it with a huge robot. Somebody figure out how to get in!

I got it -- get the golden key (I think from the boss) and go back there. She opens up the unlocks shop.

So, good news and bad news:

Good news: Well, almost everything, save for the news; It plays beautifully and it's a meaty, fun game with plenty of good feedback. Rolling is blissful.

Bad news: I am in fact seeing some framerate issues in busier rooms with lots of bullets, I think. Need to test it some more, I'll turn the screen shake off to get a better sense of it.

I got it -- get the golden key (I think from the boss) and go back there. She opens up the unlocks shop.

So, good news and bad news:

Good news: Well, almost everything, save for the news; It plays beautifully and it's a meaty, fun game with plenty of good feedback. Rolling is blissful.

Bad news: I am in fact seeing some framerate issues in busier rooms with lots of bullets, I think. Need to test it some more.

Got it right after I posted it. Haha

Salsa

this month

YAinfwm.png

CxCK8vM.gif

Skittles

Game is immensely fun and runs exceptionally well for the most past.
Quick tip: Reloading reloads all guns in your inventory. So I highly recommend cycling through your good guns before reloading

antitrop

Took down 3 bosses on my best run so far, time to put it down for the night.

I'm going to be playing the SHIT out of this, game rocks.

Super early impressions:

Gameplay is fun.
It's a roguelike, which I didn't realize before purchasing. Not a fan of the genre at all, as I don't like backtracking, but the cohesive map and teleporting system make it bearable.
I lost to a boss, had to clear a newly generated area, then fought a different boss. Not sure what that was about.
Nothing seemed to carry over after dying, from what I could tell, so it felt like I wasn't making any progress.

Those are my immediate impressions. I'll have to give the game a proper try when I'm not half asleep.
There is progression. New weapons and such added to the pool, and things you do in early playthroughs having effects on later playthroughs

antitrop

There is progression. New weapons and such added to the pool, and thing you do in early playthroughs having effects on later playthroughs

It looks like there is a certain kind of currency that carries over after your playthrough, it's in the upper-right hand corner of the character select screen, but I'm not sure how to spend it.

Early impressions/pseudo-review from Gamesradar
http://www.gamesradar.com/worlds-most-adorable-bullet-hell-you-should-be-playing-enter-gungeon/
I've probably spent a dozen hours over the weekend playing Enter the Gungeon on PS4, and I could easily spend several dozen more playing this game, learning its quirks, and uncovering its myriad secrets. There's always something to master, some new weapon to find and exploit - and one of them might just happen to be a banana, which explodes into three additional exploding bananas. If there's any other roguelike with such a potassium-rich weapon of mass destruction, I haven't heard of it.

antitrop

"There's always something to master, some new weapon to find and exploit - and one of them might just happen to be a banana, which explodes into three additional exploding bananas. If there's any other roguelike with such a potassium-rich weapon of mass destruction, I haven't heard of it."

Sounds like the Banana Bomb from Worms, except for the convenient "roguelike" exception, heh.

Top Bottom