• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic announces that 10 million players has play Fortnite Battle Royale in 2 weeks

oti

Banned
The Battle Royale genre is officially now a thing. Might as well get used to it for the next few years at least.

Love playing survival mode in the Division with my wife.

I'm eager to see different takes on it. Fortnite's building mechanic doesn't really interested me, personally.

Any game that has a 'battle bus' is a game I need to try out.

Played solo, I had a few issues with the shoting mechanics but overall it was reasonably enjoyable. Just not sure I could spend hours and hours, doing game after game .

Will check to see if any of my friends have downloaded it, could make it a nice alternative for an hour here and there, if the squads etc are more fun way to play.
Yeah I was able to convince the majority of my destiny 2 clan go download this. About 70% of the ones who've played it really dig it and it's a nice change of pace. We don't really take it too seriously and have a blast in groups.

Well deserved. It's incredibly fun. Love watching Dakotaz play it too, guy manages insane plays. Just can't wait for customization and stats which should arrive in coming weeks.

A quite interesting round for people interested: https://youtu.be/WYByDVysWEI

Ends with a great skybase showing modding existing panels. Just very fun and varied.

Also played it once and deleted it. Besides not liking the gameplay differences from PUBG the game was an unplayable slideshow for 98% of my couple hours attempting to give it a shot.

Griss

Tried it out, played about 10 games, deleted.

I thought it was awful. Totally unpolished and janky, and I didn't like the artstyle or boring hide-and-go-seek gameplay either.

Ploid 3.0

Interesting how they aren't mentioning concurrents.

Third post may have what you're looking for. This is from a few days ago, this past Sunday via their twitter.

Fortnite BR Sunday Update: 525K PCU and 3.7M DAU (NA, EU, OCE)
according to official Twitter.

I have no idea what those acronyms mean, but it kind of sounds like Microsofts MAU or whatever they call it.

--------------------------------------------------------
It's unfortunate this game can't take part in a Halloween event. I hope it's ready enough with skins and development room to be able to add winter holiday stuff in December. Paragon's Halloween new map theme looks awesome.

Drake

I think it's funny how salty Bluehole is about this, so I just want this to keep growing. And competition is always good for the consumer.

Ploid 3.0

The ๖ۜBronx;251673029 said:
You had framerate issues? What were you playing on?

I thought the whole second sentence was about PUBG, not liking the gameplay differences (realistic?), and the performance (slideshow). That's the way my brain put it at lest. If the person had a smooth experience with PUBG, they may have played Fortnite BR at 100+ fps steady.

I'm probably totally wrong though, that just seem weirdly worded to me. The performance part throws me off hard.

Was playing PUBG closed alpha/beta and really enjoyed what i had played. Burned out and found this and have NO desire to go back to PUBG.

This is my jam. Less sweaty. More wacky and casual. Far better sized map. More engagements. Loot is much more fun/satisfying. Map is more interesting with "cooler shit" all around. Destruction/building mechanic (surprisingly - i wasnt a believer at first) adds a lot to the moment to moment gameplay. I also really dig the art style and potential this game has with taking itself far less seriously.

The ๖ۜBronx;251673029 said:
You had framerate issues? What were you playing on?

Xbox. Not just issues. Every 1-2 seconds the game was a frozen single frame for up to one second at times. Most of my kills came from lining up unaware people then pulling the trigger on a frozen screen.

G-DannY

Xbox. Not just issues. Every 1-2 seconds the game was a frozen single frame for up to one second at times. Most of my kills came from lining up unaware people then pulling the trigger on a frozen screen.

just your problem

playing daily on day1 xbox one

sometimes lags, but 99% is flawless performance

try again

JoeLT

Are you on an Insider build? Current builds have sever game performance issues.

Ploid 3.0

Definitely a Fortnite problem. No problem playing games with higher target framerates on the daily.

Edit: Found a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvO_x8Zgf3g

This is better performance than I was getting as well. Any time fighting was going on the freezing was consistently there.

Oh wow, this kind of reminds me of early Paragon loading/streaming assets, which causes a freeze as it loads new effects, characters, and such during the beginning of a match. Is this Xbox One original or S? I think the micro stutter can happen with low ram on PC, but it may still happen even if you have 16 gb of ram and a slow HDD for all I know (in paragon).

____

It's been amazingly fun to play....

BUT Ghost Recon finally dropped 4v4 PvP mode ;__;

No more Fortnite for a while for me.

Also, no lagging or glitching for me. Been really smooth...it's just....I like GR.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
FNBR is a good attempt but I really dislike hitscan weapons in games with such long engagements. The only reason I am still playing is because my wife loves the BR mode and we can't play pubg together.

Whenever PUBG, or a BR game with actual bullet ballistics, comes out on PS4 we will never touch FNBR again.

Really wish Epic would reconsider their hitscan guns. Glad it is doing well, BR is my favorite multiplayer mode.

fuzaco

FNBR is a good attempt but I really dislike hitscan weapons in games with such long engagements. The only reason I am still playing is because my wife loves the BR mode and we can't play pubg together.

Whenever PUBG, or a BR game with actual bullet ballistics, comes out on PS4 we will never touch FNBR again.

Really wish Epic would reconsider their hitscan guns. Glad it is doing well, BR is my favorite multiplayer mode.

They are still working on it. You can read more about it in this blog post: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ale-updates-duos-supply-drops-weapon-accuracy

Mainly this point:

Lastly, enabling projectiles for all weapons (not just the Sniper Rifle) is something we’d like to explore. Doing this would allow for tighter accuracy overall. We’ve run prototypes internally and it shows promise, but there are challenges preventing us from turning it on. Once those are sorted out, we’ll consider running a broader test.

Ploid 3.0

They are working on it still. Nothing in this beta seems set in stone. They also do big changes in Paragon still. Yesterday was a huge changes patch for all characters. I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently Epic's betas are actually betas, where player feedback and such are really considered, and they will let you know their thought process on decisions. With this quote below, and my experience with Epic on Paragon, it seems to be the case.

Edit: Beaten by fuzaco, but I'll leave the full thing anyway.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...ale-updates-duos-supply-drops-weapon-accuracy

WEAPON ACCURACY
Almost all of our weapons are hitscan (Sniper Rifles are the exception). That means when you fire, there is no travel time and the target is hit instantaneously. We initially started with very high accuracy on our weapons. This often led to being shot by someone who you couldn't see, making crossing open fields too risky. It led to more conservative play, and camping became dominant.
It also didn't differentiate the weapons well – if a Pistol can kill people at the same range as a Rifle, were there enough other differences? Engagement strategy is a key component of our combat (including building walls), and if you don't have time to defensively respond to being shot, we lose out on what Fortnite's building brings to the table.

Quickly after, we did some iterations with aggressive fall-off damage (as a lot of you have already suggested). There were three main concerns we had with this model:

It felt unnatural to hit a far-away target with a rifle but do far lower damage
It was unclear at what distances your damage would be reduced
It was still difficult to respond since you couldn't see who was shooting at you

As a result, we set a couple key goals with our combat:

Goal #1 – Pistol sniping at long range should not be possible.
Goal #2 – Our weapons should have characteristics that encourage a wide range of engagements based on: distance to target, target type, ammo availability, etc.

This meant using accuracy as a mechanic to force closer engagement distances. In most cases, this had the desired result: weapons very neatly grouped into different ranges.FortniteBattleRoyale_OutlookScreenshot.jpg

After looking at this info, we quickly realized that a Scoped Assault Rifle and a longer range SMG were required to round out our base weapon lineup, which we added in the update on 9/26.

So, what are we doing going forward? There's a few additional approaches:

Some weapons don't quite live up to their expectations. The biggest culprits are the Assault Rifles and the SMGs which were recently adjusted. We'll continue to evaluate and there may be more incremental improvements, not a radical adjustments.

It can be unclear what improves accuracy. Standing still, crouching, and aiming (instead of hip-firing) all have some form of impact on accuracy. We'll look into ways to improve usability on the reticle, including improved readability of your accuracy cone.

We'll be running prototypes using more recoil and reducing accuracy penalties. The idea behind this is that the first shot will have higher accuracy (but again, not perfect) and then subsequent shots will require slightly more skill. These will be incremental adjustments until we find the sweet spot.

Lastly, enabling projectiles for all weapons (not just the Sniper Rifle) is something we'd like to explore. Doing this would allow for tighter accuracy overall. We've run prototypes internally and it shows promise, but there are challenges preventing us from turning it on. Once those are sorted out, we'll consider running a broader test.

Our goal is to provide a competitive experience without losing our unique playstyle and crazy over-the-top moments that Fortnite Battle Royale brings to the table. We look forward to your help as we continue to hone the experience.

For those of you who have strong feelings on this subject, we encourage you to participate in discussions on our forum. We also plan to spin up a PTR in the coming weeks where we can test out some different ideas and gather your feedback.

Cheers!
Eric Williamson

I'm sure people are suggesting to them to get rid of hitscan on all weapons. Maybe they will eventually.

I finally came first yesterday. When the match started, I told my friend "Watch me come first right now, so I can finally stop playing this!"

Now I'm not sure if I should go back and mess with the commitment of stop playing after coming first. :(

Great game btw, well deserved! Too much room for expansion.

Ambient80

"* - Zero traps found in Return of the Jedi"

I lol'd

Srsly tho, That's really cool! Good for them on making a pretty polished stand alone game so quickly and having it be so popular. Competition is a great thing! I'd love to see more of these for some more variety in the genre.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I play this a lot more than PUBG now, much prefer the arcade-y style and the map. Well earned, it scratches a different itch to PUBG.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
About five million of those have been killed by me while I was hiding in a bush.

I play this a lot more than PUBG now, much prefer the arcade-y style and the map. Well earned, it scratches a different itch to PUBG.

Fortnite is Men in Tights to PUBG's Prince of Thieves. Or something.

Finally built a fort yesterday. Shot any fools who tried breaking it. Good fun.

Mikey Jr.

Appears to be doing ok like you can see from the OP, but the game is pretty barebones right now. Heck, I can't even choose the character I want.

Agreed. The game is barebones.

I don't think it hides that. It's early access, free for everyone, about a month old, but Epic seems to be updating their community once a week about things they are thinking about and what new features they want to add.

Fancolors

Epic, if you are reading this, please make South American servers a thing. It's the only thing that stops the rest of my friends from trying this.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I actually prefer the aesthetic of Fortnite Battle Royale, but the guys I play with prefer PUBG so I uninstalled. I don't find playing these type of games solo that fun.

Mossybrew

I don't find playing these type of games solo that fun.

I actually play this and PUBG exclusively solo, it just seems way more appropriate. To me grouping up would be more of a headache, trying to coordinate strategy, weapon pickups, etc seems like way too much micromanagement between players.

Top Bottom