• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Reveals Samaritan Processing Requirements: 10x 360 at 1080p, (4.4x 360 at 720p)

Just watched Samaritan for the first time, and this is seriously what everyone is wetting themselves over? Am I missing something? Because if you told me that was a current gen game I wouldn't bat an eye.

sp3000

As much as you want that to be the case (I've seen your past posts and many are pro-PC while ripping on consoles), I doubt it.

If I was pro PC, wouldn't I want consoles to be powerful so that PC hardware would no longer be constrained? What kind of bullshit are you spouting?

I'm seeing reality rather than the hype goggles that you have on.

Just watched Samaritan for the first time, and this is seriously what everyone is wetting themselves over? Am I missing something? Because if you told me that was a current gen game I wouldn't bat an eye.

Wow

If I was pro PC, wouldn't I want consoles to be powerful so that PC hardware would no longer be constrained? What kind of bullshit are you spouting?
No you wouldn't because you wouldn't want them to be a better platform than PC due to 'fanboy' (I hate that term) tendencies. I've read your past posts, just saying.

Sony would go bankrupt if they tried to fit a 7970 into a console in 2012-early 2013 with a 450 W PSU and some massive cube like shape to push air through it fast. It would sell at a huge loss and they're already broke.

Bro Sony is losing money, but they're far from broke. Learn about what you think before you say it.

Vic20

That demo has so much more going on in it than anything this generation. I would shoot my lunch out my nose if someone told me that was running in real time on current gen hardware.

sp3000

No you wouldn't because you wouldn't want them to be a better platform than PC due to 'fanboy' (I hate that term) tendencies. I've read your past posts, just saying.

You are really being dense aren't you. I bought every single console this gen at launch. Heaven forbid I rag on 6 year old hardware as being shitty.

But I suppose because I'm not riding the hype train for next gen consoles I must be a fanboy.

jerking off to field goals

Ah, I see.

Epic, I'm counting on you to strong-arm Microsoft and Sony into putting at least 2.5 teraFLOPS of processing power into the next Xbox and PlayStation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As a basis for comparison, the TFLOP performance of ~modern PC GPUs includes;

GTX 570 = 1.4 TFLOPS
GTX 580 = 1.5 TFLOPS
GTX 590 = 2.4 TFLOPS (dual GPU core)

HD 6930 = 1.9 TFLOPS
HD 6970 = 2.7 TFLOPS
HD 6990 = 5.0 TFLOPS (dual GPU core)

All of these are available now.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

GTX 570 = 1.4 TFLOPS
GTX 580 = 1.5 TFLOPS

HD 6930 = 1.9 TFLOPS
HD 6970 = 2.7 TFLOPS

the 6990 could do 2 samaritans, damn. i wonder where the 7xxx's stand

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

GTX 570 = 1.4 TFLOPS
GTX 580 = 1.5 TFLOPS

HD 6930 = 1.9 TFLOPS
HD 6970 = 2.7 TFLOPS

Why are the Nvidia cards outputting so fewer flops when they run games faster?

samaritanprocessingrel3yqn.png

4.4 times the X-box 360 hmmm...
I wonder if the Wii U will be that more powerful.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
the 6990 could do 2 samaritans, damn. i wonder where the 7xxx's stand
Why are the Nvidia cards outputting so fewer flops when they run games faster?

That data is just collected from Nvidia/AMD data, so I don't really know the technicalities behind it or how performance is valued. Real world performance definitely doesn't match the TFLOP discrepancies.

So yeah, someone with more technical knowledge will have to give deeper insight into how this all works. But this should still give you an idea of modern GPUs and what kind of TFLOP performance we're already seeing.

WillyFive

4.4 times the X-box 360 hmmm...
I wonder if the Wii U will be that more powerful.

Numbers mean nothing when talking about components that specific. The Wii U rumors could be talking about any component, or just a general vague idea of them. From a figure like that, it might be that powerful, or it might not have any noticeable difference from 360 graphics. Both would still be correct, since the rumor means very little.

Same as the rumor that the 3DS could do 360-like graphics. Obviously from a technical standpoint that's not true, but RE:R could be mistaken for an HD console RE game from far away due to the shaders, which happens the 3DS is good at.

I actually can't tell too much of a difference either. At least it doesn't look 10x better than what we've got now.

teh_pwn

AMD has higher theoretical performance but lower average utilization.

That may be the case, but it's probably a complicated reason, like a hardware design having a choke point somewhere that reduces actual performance. I doubt it's management being so careless to not be able to fill a few positions to make all competition obsolete.

Drivers. One of the main reasons the pc is such a terrible platform.

No its just architectural differences. On the surface it seems like Nvidias' archetechure is better because it gets closer to its theoretical max but AMD still has better performance compared to die size and power. Whats more important?

That may be the case, but it's probably a complicated reason, like a hardware design having a choke point somewhere that reduces actual performance. I doubt it's management being so careless to not be able to fill a few positions to make all competition obsolete.

Its not a bottleneck its fundamental to the architecture. AMD's arch depends on instruction level parallelism while Nvidia on thread level parallelism. Basically Nvidia spends more transistors on scheduling while AMD sticks in more compute units. AMD still gets more performance per die area which is allot more impotent then actual performance vs theoretical max. The one bottleneck is geometry throughput which only sows up on heavily tessellated games.

GTX 570 = 1.4 TFLOPS
GTX 580 = 1.5 TFLOPS

HD 6930 = 1.9 TFLOPS
HD 6970 = 2.7 TFLOPS

TOAO already pointed out the architectural differences, but this does beg the question. Is the calculation "nVidia TFLOPs" or "AMD TFLOPs"?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any other super compelling talks by tim sweeney that I could watch right now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TOAO already pointed out the architectural differences, but this does beg the question. Is the calculation "nVidia TFLOPs" or "AMD TFLOPs"?

AMD TLOPS, since the number he's using for the Xbox 360 is essentially AMD's stated performance for Xenos (240 GFLOPS).

TedNindo

At the people saying that the samaritan demo doesn't look like a big improvement... get your eyes checked. Seriously. If that isn't impressive then what do you guys expect of next gen games?

McHuj

Drivers. One of the main reasons the pc is such a terrible platform.

except not at all. These are only theoretical flops not actually programmable flops.

Shaders x Clock X 2 flops

For AMD 7970:
2048 shaders x .925 GHz x 2 = 3,788 Gflops

For Nvidia GTX580:
512 shaders x 1.544 GHz x 2 = 1,581 Gflops

The over GPU architecture and memory bandwidth will dictate how efficiently you can utilize those flops.

I'd like to know how Epic is counting the flop numbers for Samaritan: Theoretical or did they actual profile the code and estimate the number of operations that were executed.

Oh wow.

That's like calling penicillin a terrible antibiotic.

Idk what this is even supposed to mean, but as a software engineer-in-training a windows pc is one of the absolutey worse platforms to attempt to get anywhere near peak performance from. And my professors, who have more knowledge than any of you combined, seem to agree.

But go on, keep on buying your 300$+ gpus and keep on believing you're doing anything more than wasting your money for more AF and AA.

Can you elaborate? I never knew they calculated them differently.

Sorry. I put them in quotes for a reason and didn't mean to cause confusion. What I mean by that is 2.5 TFLOPs with nVidia hardware is not the same as 2.5TFLOPs with AMD. Are we talking about the demo needing pretty much two 580s or is one 6970 more than enough?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
AF/AA/high resolutions and stable high frame rates alongside maxed out DX11 or whatever other settings in the latest games, exclusives or otherwise, are just a waste now? Neat... Note my PC isn't actually capable of any of that atm, and I'm comfortable enough with its performance outside games like GTAIV, but I'd certainly like all of that and I'm not gonna bitterly tell someone he wasted his money to achieve it, lol... As for efficiency, nobody said PC hardware is utilised 100%. That doesn't suddenly nulify what is achieved on PC however, considering the alternatives on consoles or what you get with lower end parts. That's ridiculous.

Also, ITT people can't differentiate between "i don't like this art style" and "this graphics tech isn't great". Whether you like how Samaritan looks or not (I don't), it's leaps and bounds ahead of everthing currently out there in pretty much every way. The same technologies applied to the games and settings you do like, alongside vastly improved assets to match the specs seen there, would also make them look a shitload better than they do. It's not that hard to get. And yeah they can probably get a passable impression of it done on much lower end hardware, but the whole point of that tech demo was to show off the full real deal.

teh_pwn

Idk what this is even supposed to mean, but as a software engineer-in-training a windows pc is one of the absolutey worse platforms to attempt to get anywhere near peak performance from. And my professors, who have more knowledge than any of you combined, seem to agree.

But go on, keep on buying your 300$+ gpus and keep on believing you're doing anything more than wasting your money for more AF and AA.

This guy is going to be a master of fixing software bugs with this confirmation bias, lol.

Guess what. I am a software engineer with years of experience. And I totally work with chief architects. Fuck, I've seen my CEO from time to time. He surely agrees with me.

I don't see why there's this argument. Consoles and PCs have their strengths and weaknesses. Consoles have ease of use, but also suffer from poor cooling/power, etc.

How reliable is the "Wii U GPU > 1 TFLOP" statement supposed to be? I tried searching the internet, but the only place I found it mention was here. LOL

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry. I put them in quotes for a reason and didn't mean to cause confusion. What I mean by that is 2.5 TFLOPs with nVidia hardware is not the same as 2.5TFLOPs with AMD. Are we talking about the demo needing pretty much two 580s or is one 6970 more than enough?

For Samaritan, it ran on three cards, but they said they felt they could get it down to one with enough optimization.

So that would likely be either one 580 (1.5 TFLOPS) or the AMD equivalent 6970 (2.7 TFLOPS).

Basically they want a card in late 2013 that runs like a high end card from January 2012, or approximately two years old.

I honestly don't care as of now, for the difference between 720P and 1080P. My gaming space isn't set up in a way that would allow me to discern the difference between the two very easily.

Zimbardo

so i'm better off playing my games on a console that's stuck @ 720p and 30fps?

doesn't sound like i'm getting peak performance there.

except not at all. These are only theoretical flops not actually programmable flops.

Shaders x Clock X 2 flops

For AMD 7970:
2048 shaders x .925 GHz x 2 = 3,788 Gflops

For Nvidia GTX580:
512 shaders x 1.544 GHz x 2 = 1,581 Gflops

The over GPU architecture and memory bandwidth will dictate how efficiently you can utilize those flops.

I'd like to know how Epic is counting the flop numbers for Samaritan: Theoretical or did they actual profile the codnd estimate the number of operations that were executed.
Im not gonna dispute you on these numbers, because frankly idk where they come from and am too lazy too look up. But I know for a fact that no game on pc today ever comes close to the max specifications of a modern gpu, except maybe heat and watts generated.

To figure that out you need to calculate the average utilization each card gets when running Samaritan then extrapolate that to however many cards gets you 2.5tf.

Top Bottom