• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's website & forums hacked

Kaako

Felium Defensor
cpp_is_king said:
Because it has a large user database, relates to gaming, they would feel a sense of accomplishment due to "owning" something popular. That's what they work for anyway. All this Robin Hood shit related to sony is just an excuse for them to have fun.
No, gaf is not popular and famous. Gamefaqs is. Right guys?

Dacon

Banned
What the fuck is going on? Why is everything getting hacked?

What do these fucking morons hope to accomplish? Fuck

Hex said:
Didn't Keepass get hacked?

Not sure what you mean. What part of them got hacked?

I can email my user database, post it on reddit, send it to everyone in the world, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. That's the entire point.

If you mean someone wrote a tool that can brute force your master database password, then umm.. How about choosing a stronger master database password, and combining it with a file-based key as well to get up to 400+ bits of protection. Unless someone has written tools to brute-force 400+ bit encryption before the universe has ended, I'm not sure how keepass would have been hacked.

Edit: nvm, poster got confused with LastPass, which is a cloud-based password service.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dont hack my GAF please ;__;

Iztli

Dacon said:

"some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Blizzard

Banned
I suppose I should have thought to post this as a thread itself instead of just a note in the UDK thread.

At least it was apparently only encrypted passwords and email addresses. I don't even know why anyone would want to do that to the Epic forums though.

Blizzard

Banned
commedieu said:
ding ding ding
Did anyone notice that the quote said "hackers" in terms of "homebrew and hackers" working on Kinect hardware, i.e. actual non-malicious hardware hackers who make hobby projects like robots (not taking anyone's information, legal aside from potentially the DMCA)?

And then the article seems to apply that to hackers who break into servers and steal personal information, no hobby building/hacking involved as in the other sense.

Are people just equating the two, or did Cliff actually say something else that included malicious criminal hacker activity as well?

I'd say there's a big difference between working with a hacker who is making modifications to a game to add levels, or using Kinect hardware to do AI vision...and working with a hacker who breaks into credit card companies and steals personal information.

BAD ANALOGY TIME: Hiring someone to your locksmith company who has built (and taken apart) their own special door locks might be reasonable. Hiring someone to your locksmith company who has actually broken into people's houses and stolen stuff...not so reasonable.

The biggest fail here is that people are hanging around in this thread instead of gawking at that Horde 2.0 footage.

Mein fuckin leiben.

Truespeed said:
Surely, you mean Whored 2.0
Depends how hot she is.

I mean I thought I knew what to expect. Then I saw some Active Poisons thing, then something about buying command consoles and building bases, then fucking Mechs and auto turrets. Then Berzerkers and fucking mayhem. I think that's when I passed out.

I'm actually kind of pissed nobody let me know about it earlier.

commedieu

Banned
Blizzard said:
Did anyone notice that the quote said "hackers" in terms of "homebrew and hackers" working on Kinect hardware, i.e. actual non-malicious hardware hackers who make hobby projects like robots (not taking anyone's information, legal aside from potentially the DMCA)?

And then the article seems to apply that to hackers who break into servers and steal personal information, no hobby building/hacking involved as in the other sense.

Are people just equating the two, or did Cliff actually say something else that included malicious criminal hacker activity as well?

Its a funny quote. To most like the federal gov etc... hacking is hacking, phreaking is phreaking. Much like the word exclusive means something else to others, im sure most can delude themselves into thinking otherwise. As far as chain of events and timing, its comedy gold imo. Its funny that Clifforton B is trying to be cool with the guys hacking the equipment, and Epics site gets hacked. Not sure whats so hard about that logic bus. Who is Tim claiming responsible for the attack? Hackers, no differentiation is being made saying "buh buh the mean kind!"

Zomba13

Blizzard said:

I'd say there's a big difference between working with a hacker who is making modifications to a game to add levels, or using Kinect hardware to do AI vision...and working with a hacker who breaks into credit card companies and steals personal information.

BAD ANALOGY TIME: Hiring someone to your locksmith company who has built (and taken apart) their own special door locks might be reasonable. Hiring someone to your locksmith company who has actually broken into people's houses and stolen stuff...not so reasonable.
To the anti-hacker people all hackers are the type that hack into servers, steal information and live alone in basements.
Some people here don't seem to know the difference between hacking the Kinect or PS3 or Wii to do stuff like run homebrew and hackers who hack servers and break laws.

Huff

Banned
(._.) said:
really hope GAF doesn't get hacked. I don't wanna bother with that shit.

Isn't gaf not really like by the non gaf video game boards? We could have some enemies plotting against us with the hackers.

Not so lulzy anymore.
LOL

RPGCrazied

Are people just saying they are getting hacked, just to say it? In the past week I can't tell you how many different places are saying they are getting hacked. It really only started after the whole PSN thing.

I hope its just not attention getting.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Danthrax said:
Yes it is. It's not just video games — CitiBank got hacked, too:

http://technorati.com/technology/article/thousands-of-citibank-on-line-credit/

It was last month and they've only disclosed the attack this week.

Oh, also, in the last three months the networks of Lockheed Martin and the customer email databases of a company that does marketing for Best Buy and Target have been hacked, according to an Associated Press story I'm putting in tomorrow's paper. (I'm at work.) So this isn't just a video game thing, even though it's easy for us to see it that way when that's the industry we follow the closest.

syoaran

Sony was quite a surprise, but if Blizzard got hacked I'd be shocked. Valve as well, considering what happened before.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zomba13 said:
To the anti-hacker people all hackers are the type that hack into servers, steal information and live alone in basements.
Some people here don't seem to know the difference between hacking the Kinect or PS3 or Wii to do stuff like run homebrew and hackers who hack servers and break laws.
Hm, I have a program on my laptop that uses a Kinect to segment up to four people from the background in real time. I wonder if thats risky.

Brb, doorbell.

syoaran said:
Sony was quite a surprise, but if Blizzard got hacked I'd be shocked. Valve as well, considering what happened before.

Fucking RSA got hacked, at this point I think all bets are off.

The ironic thing is they tried to play this off originally like "haha look how terrible Sony's security is we hacked them lol". Now all this other shit is going on, Sony doesn't really look so bad anymore. They look like everyone else.

B-Dex

Online security is bad news @ 11.

You would have thought security would get beefed up after Sony's big incident but I guess it's just the same old "it'll never happen to us" mentality that is bringing it all down on these sites.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, shit. Man, this is getting worse and more ridiculous every time. Who's next?! Dammit, I feel like it'll be either EA, Ubisoft, or worst of all, GAF.

Hide yo wives, hide yo kids!
Always wanted to say that

J-Rzez

Dacon said:

This is why we need a new Modern Warfare out, so it keeps these people occupied griefing on there instead. Black Ops not up to MW quality has failed us, these guys got bored!

I hope GAF is covered well. I don't want them getting my CC info from my platinum-GAF account. :(

vilmer_

Looks like they are going to try and hit Sony again tomorrow.

Recap of the last 24 hours: NHS assisted, Jihad site taken down, Pron.com owned, Endgames + Prolexic shone upon brightly. Tomorrow... @Sony

Top Bottom