• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Episode VIII is "The Last Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The episodes are about the Skywalkers, everything else is about whatever. They can always do future trilogies that aren't given episode titles.

9 will end the Skywalker story, and "Episode 10" may be a completely new thing, new start. I dunno, we'll see. It'll be interesting if 10 takes place after 9 chronologically but doesn't have anything to do with all the Skywalker stuff.

Ozorov

In Rian Johnson we trust. Is this the first Star Wars-movie since Ep 4 that the director also has written the script?

Savitar

Luke tries to help Rey only to be killed, Rey then fights back and seems to win.

Then is killed.

In a twist it is Ren who turns back to the light and becomes.........the last Jedi.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm not buying this immediate leap to "Luke must die then!" Like other have said, Jedi is a plural noun. Or they could be creating a new group, just like the Sith are gone, but there are still evil forces users.

This trilogy is all about handing the torch over to a new pantheon of heroes. They started that transition in Episode 7 and I would assume they'd want to finish it for Episode 8 so the final film can fully concentrate on the new characters.

Luke dying in this film wouldn't surprise me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Regarding Luke and his possible fate, and yes, this is a spoiler, so dont click if you dont want to know something:
Mark Hamill already tweeted that he will return for IX, soooo he wont die. Or he will die and become a force ghost.

Shaanyboi

Banned
"When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be..."
dying-yoda-return-of-the-jedi-1280jpg-8849f9_1280w.jpg

Love the title!

Just a guy saying the title was "The Last Jedi". Someone else scolded him, but I didn't expect it to be real. It was on a Slashfilm article's comment section, I never gave it any thought until now.

Lol, the plot for Jurassic World being an open park leaked in the Coming Soon comments section in 2013. It always happens that way, somehow.

AniHawk

names can be whatever but i am really not feeling the 'star the force awakens wars' and 'star the last jedi wars' look of the logos. both the prequel and original trilogies looked more interesting. here it's like some san serif font had to squeeze itself between the iconic star wars font and shout 'look at me!'

18-Volt

The possibilites:

- Luke dies, Rey is the last Jedi
- Rey turns to dark side, Kylo dies, Luke lives, he's the last Jedi
- Rey turns to dark side, Luke dies, Kylo turns to light side, he's the last jedi
- Luke dies, both Rey and Kylo are sith, someone else is the last Jedi

Certain things are: Rey will survive the episode, Luke will never turn to dark side, one of them is a goner.

Luke may not die. A running theme is that "Jedi" don't really work, the Order has imperfections. They had a bunch of dumb strict rules in the prequels and were egotistical which got them screwed, then after VI, Luke tried starting a new order of Jedi but Ben went apeshit causing another round of disarray. The Last Jedi could refer to Luke being the last of that kind of Jedi, and they may try and find a way for Rey to start a new kind of Jedi but without the flaws somehow. So it could just mean the end of the "Jedi" order. Rey will be the first of whatever the new thing is.

But Luke will probably die.

Kind of makes ROTJ title dumb. Did they Jedi ever actually return?

Kind of a double meaning, Anakin "returns" to the light side hence the return of A Jedi, and after VI Luke did start up a new Jedi Order.

My thinking:

1) Almost everything regarding Star Wars since the sale has been pointed towards the notion that being locked into the Jedi/Sith dichotomy is bad from both ends, and that there's more to the force than filtering it into two strict religions.

2) The new generation introduced in The Force Awakens will be the group of people who lead that new vision into the future of the galaxy, while the last generation gives them the best of themselves before they exit stage left to make room.

Aurongel

Red logo and that title are actually pretty damn cool. VII might have been a bit of a (well made) fan service nightmare but I have complete faith in Rian Johnson to turn it into something unique.

Even Rogue One despite its huge flaws took some creative risks that I appreciated. IN comparison to their cookie cutter Marvel shtick, this direction seems a lot more exciting.

Kalentan

Marketing. Numbers scare new audiences.

Doesn't even the new re-releases of the prequels on amazon and things like that don't have the numbers? Like I believe if you go on there it just says, The Phantom Menance, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith. They removed Episode 1, 2, and 3 from the titles.

My thinking:

1) Almost everything regarding Star Wars since the sale has been pointed towards the notion that being locked into the Jedi/Sith dichotomy is bad from both ends, and that there's more to the force than filtering it into two strict religions.

2) The new generation introduced in The Force Awakens will be the group of people who lead that new vision into the future of the galaxy, while the last generation gives them the best of themselves before they exit stage left to make room.

This! What I was saying, just more to the point.

Luke may not die. A running theme is that "Jedi" don't really work, the Order has imperfections. They had a bunch of dumb strict rules in the prequels and were egotistical which got them screwed, then after VI, Luke tried starting a new order of Jedi but Ben went apeshit causing another round of disarray. The Last Jedi could refer to Luke being the last of that kind of Jedi, and they may try and find a way for Rey to start a new kind of Jedi but without the flaws somehow. So it could just mean the end of the "Jedi" order. Rey will be the first of whatever the new thing is.

But Luke will probably die.

Kind of a double meaning, Anakin "returns" to the light side hence the return of A Jedi, and after VI Luke did start up a new Jedi Order.

Weren't the Jedi around for a thousand generations? That's a pretty good run for a flawed organization.

I'm waiting for the eventual allegory: Non-Force users rise up, consider all Force-users terrorists and seek to wipe them all out.

It has already been injected into the Marvel and DC universes, so far as superheroes go. May as a well bring Star Wars into the party too.

Registration. Cure. Camps/Sanctuaries. Annihilation.

Kinda like Order 66, only this time it's Light and Dark Force users.

It's really the only topic Star Wars hasn't jumped into yet.

9 will end the Skywalker story

i have a real hard time imagining they are going to end the Skywalker story, i refer you to the main villain in the first film in the new trilogy who has a shrine to Darth Vader, meanwhile the entire plot revolved around finding Skywalker, it's obvious they gonna mine this nostalgia for at least the next ten years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom