• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

rambis

Banned
So is everyone freezing their credit? Is that a good idea?
Its a good idea regardless of this situation.

The thing to think about is that whatever gets added to your report will take months to remove. If you are not dependent on your credit this may be nothing to you. But if you have say a home or auto or really any kind of loan you are looking to secure in the near future this could be devestating.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
fml

What is credit freezing?

I wanted to get a loan for the Model 3 at the start of the new year. UGHHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHH

If this was a SQL injection, I'm going to be pissed. Well, more so.

slit

fml

What is credit freezing?

I wanted to get a loan for the Model 3 at the start of the new year. UGHHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHH

If this was a SQL injection, I'm going to be pissed. Well, more so.

Freezing is stopping any credit lines from opening in your name at all. You don't have to freeze though, you can put a fraud alert on your credit reports where they have to go though extra measures like contacting you to open a new credit line. If you do want the extra peace of mind of freezing you can temporarily lift the freeze in order to take the loan out.

rezn0r

I'm sure this has been answered a few times (so sorry if it has) but if I just pulled the 3 reports from annualcreditreport & set up a fraud alert on the TransUnion section, is that decent enough to feel safe? My reports looked fine... but that equifax link said I 'was mostly likely affected'

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Every time I try to go into the Equifaxsecurity2017 website, my anti-virus is claiming it is malware and not allowing me to go into the site :/

The Lamp

So I'm just realizing that if I want to freeze with Equifax, I have to fucking give Equifax 10 dollars for their fuck up and my added security for peace of mind. WTF is this racket? Why aren't they offering this for free for all people?

It's a legal thing. Your state has fees for freezes that aren't only waived at any bureau if you have a police report showing you've actually had your identity stolen (making you a true victim).

Carnby

When this story broke, I immediately set up fraud alert at Transunion.

As more details of breach leaked, I decided that I should take it a step further and freeze my accounts. But before freezing, I wanted to apply for an Amex.

I applied for the Amex over the phone and my application result was "can not be completed at this time." The associate who took my call said the application has been put on hold and will be completed once I've been verified.

So basically, the fraud alert works. I wonder if freezing is even necessary.

Zackat

I still can't get Experian to put a freeze on, but I got the other two done. I am not taking any chances right now.

Otnopolit

I'm trying to freeze my credit, but when applying it says they can't place a security freeze based on the information I gave them. Anybody have this problem? They want me to mail them my stuff. No thanks. Tried through Experian thus far.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well unfortunately I'm gonna be looking for an apartment in the next couple months. I set up the AAA fraud alert and checked my credit score which wasn't out of the ordinary hopefully I don't get fucked.

So what's the downside to just having a fraud alert on all the time?

Less promotional offers and creditors have to call you to confirm your identity, lol is that supposed to be a bad thing? It's basically 2FA.

Tritroid

Trying to sign up for fraud alert through AAA like somebody mentioned, but trying to enroll in deluxe, I keep getting the following re-direct:

"Sorry! This website is currently down for improvements.

Please check back at a later time to log in."

Did anybody get around this to actually be able to enroll?

Also, I have identity monitoring through myfico.com, is that enough to protect against something like this?

Makki

So what's the downside to just having a fraud alert on all the time?

Less promotional offers and creditors have to call you to confirm your identity, lol is that supposed to be a bad thing? It's basically 2FA.

I see no downside when all it takes is a little more time to verify your identity at the time of application. I wonder if we can apply for the 1 year one after this is given more visibility, I know I would sign right up.

I wont be taking their generous 1 year credit monitoring offer and give up litigation options that's for sure.

I'm trying to freeze my credit, but when applying it says they can't place a security freeze based on the information I gave them. Anybody have this problem? They want me to mail them my stuff. No thanks. Tried through Experian thus far.

Same, trick questions got me.

Now im showing my bank charging me 7 10$ fees since I tried doing at different times, thinking the questions would come back

:( and obviously the wont pick up the phone.

I just wasted 100$ on all this.

epmode

Call them. It’s much easier over the phone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

"While we have confidence in the current system, we understand and appreciate that consumers have questions about how PINs are currently generated," explained the spokesperson. "We are engaged in a process that will provide consumers a randomly generated PIN. We expect this change to be effective within 24 hours."

But what if you already received one of the shady PINs? Well then, you can request that Equifax change your existing one. Which, considering how badly the company has handled pretty much every aspect of this breach, is sure to go over flawlessly.

So I froze all of my accounts, but Equifax never asked me for a way to pay for the freeze... will that payment request come in the packet they are mailing me?

Aselith

Will a credit freeze also effect stuff like soft hits to check the score? One of my credit cards gives me a free credit report...would there be any issue with that?

Pastry

Banned
That website said I was not affected by the leak but when I went ahead and initiated that Experian credit security thing that comes free with USAA.

KHarvey16

So I froze all of my accounts, but Equifax never asked me for a way to pay for the freeze... will that payment request come in the packet they are mailing me?

A coworker had the same result. States have two different prices for credit feeezes, one for victims of ID theft and one for non-victims. The former usually (or maybe always?) pays $0, so equifax may be considering those effected to be victims and doing it for free. Which seems like the right thing to do. I wonder if my $5 will be refunded.

Will a credit freeze also effect stuff like soft hits to check the score? One of my credit cards gives me a free credit report...would there be any issue with that?

Shouldn't. After I froze everything my credit score stuff with discover, capital one and credit karma all still worked.

Z3M0G

Are Canadians worrying about this? I'm considering the fraud alert option... I don't plan to take out a loan any time soon, and maybe it'll keep my F'n bank from extending my line of credit for no reason...

teiresias

I may go ahead and do fraud alerts (I've done it a number of times previously).

Alerts you only need to file with one of the credit bureaus and it gets passed to all of them, but is that the same for freezes if I decide to do that? The OP is unclear on that point. I'd guess not given you get a PIN that is probably different for each credit report agency.

I was a victim of the OPM leak a few years back so already have free credit monitoring through that (indefinitely so far as I know, it's still going on), so I'm not sure this actually would leak anything of mine that wasn't already out there.

Zoe

I may go ahead and do fraud alerts (I've done it a number of times previously).

Alerts you only need to file with one of the credit bureaus and it gets passed to all of them, but is that the same for freezes if I decide to do that? The OP is unclear on that point. I'd guess not given you get a PIN that is probably different for each credit report agency.

No, you have to do a freeze with each agency, and it's likely you will have to pay them to do it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was thinking a year of free credit monitoring is really just a kick in the teeth, this is obviously going to be a life-long problem....
The cost of such a breach should be lifelong fraud insurance.

I was discussing that earlier with some people, nothing less than a decade would be reasonable at this point. The breadth of info out there on any individual can disturb someone's life for years and years.

Saw a post earlier that setting up a fraud alert with one of the bureaus, say Experian, would be reported to and thus apply to all three.

True?

teiresias

Saw a post earlier that setting up a fraud alert with one of the bureaus, say Experian, would be reported to and thus apply to all three.

True?

That's how it's always worked when I've done it in the past. If you do it online you get the acknowledgment from whichever you did it online with immediately, and then I got letters from the other two in the mail indicating the alert was setup.

5taquitos

That's how it's always worked when I've done it in the past. If you do it online you get the acknowledgment from whichever you did it online with immediately, and then I got letters from the other two in the mail indicating the freeze was setup.
Your wording is going to confuse people.

Fraud Alerts are automatically initiated with all three when you set up one.

Security Freezes require you to contact each bureau separately.

I appreciate the clarification. Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly am I getting with a freeze that I wouldn't get with a fraud alert? Both appear to require additional verification prior to opening new lines of credit, with the freeze having the added step of having to wait a few days for the freeze to lift.

teiresias

Yeah, sorry, confusing typo.

I appreciate the clarification. Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly am I getting with a freeze that I wouldn't get with a fraud alert? Both appear to require additional verification prior to opening new lines of credit, with the freeze having the added step of having to wait a few days for the freeze to lift.

I've never had anything actually come of having an alert, but my understanding (and memory) from setting up an alert is that you tell them the contact information you want put on the credit report (phone number mainly since the address is likely there already) and that's supposed to indicate to anyone pulling the report to actually contact you prior to proceeding any further with opening new lines of credit or doing anything else that required the credit pull (setting up a rental lease, etc.).

A freeze completely doesn't let someone get the report at all or proceed with the credit transaction until you lift it.

prag16

Banned
I froze with Equifax and Experian. Transunion has an alternative, where they let you lock/unlock yourself so it's almost like a soft freeze that doesn't require paying the freezing/unfreezing fees. Seems convenient; wonder if there are drawbacks.

Jams775

Because of Equifax 's fuck up, we have to cough up $30 each time to freeze our credit?

Yeah, I'm signing up for this now. These companies are scummy as fuck. Was looking through Experian and they let you do a free "dark web" scan. They act like your email is compromised but don't give you any details so it seems completely made up to me.

I just signed up for Transunion and they're going to charge me $20 a fucking month?

Credit freezes should be the default for free. You should have to pay to unlock for convenience.

It looks like Transunion lets me lock both it and Equifax. Does that mean I should pay another $10 a month to Experian to lock it?

It didn't cost me anything to freeze at all 3 agencies. But transunion says it will cost 5 bucks to unfreeze it in the future.

Man somebody better come up with a fix for this shit far too many people are affected and it could be life ruining.

It didn't cost me anything to freeze at all 3 agencies. But transunion says it will cost 5 bucks to unfreeze it in the future.

Man somebody better come up with a fix for this shit far too many people are affected and it could be life ruining.

I thought Transunion and Experian charge. How did you freeze your credit for free?

-x.Red.x-

Hey isn't today the day that people can enroll. Should I still enroll or wait for my sweet 2 dollars check in the eventual lawsuit.

Has anyone enroll? What is the process?

Haven't been able to freeze on Equifax's site since last night. Constant system errors.

*finally went through on the 10th try

The new Worst Company in America.

Top Bottom