• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

No way. Are you serious? So someone is actively trying to use your info?

I had two fraudulent credit cards applied through my social security number today through Capital One and Wells Fargo

I check my credit score weekly via Credit Karma, and am extremely protective of my information, have credit score of 800 and have never had a fraud issue in the past. I don't think it's a coincidence.

U2NUMB

Alright... signed up for Fraud Alert.. fuck this shitty ass company for not protecting our data. Knowing it was as simple as a known issue with software and a patch was available blows my mind...

Scarecrow

I thought calling was supposed to be the easiest option? I tried calling Transunion but they want me to mail in a bunch of info. This sound like what everyone else has had to do?

ParityBit

So I did the alert on Equifax and it says it is for both that and Transunion. Does that mean I do not have to set it up on Transunion now?

Edit: Okay so it appears setting up the fraud alert on equifax automatically sent directly to Transunion and Experian, so I guess you only need to do it there. Assuming what they said in the receipt it true.

mdsfx

Guys, alerts don't stop fraud from what I understand. They just notify you of activity.

Freeze your credit!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SSN's get used in order to steal tax returns. The only way to really prevent it is to file your taxes immediately so that any further e-returns can't get accepted.

Yep. It's why I do mine immediately when I get the W-2.

For everybody freezing your files, just keep in mind it doesn't end there. Tax fraud is also a huge risk.
This is true. My information was stolen from the big IRS hack in 2015. I worked with them to set up a private PIN number for my federal return that I use every year. On top of that, I file my state and federal taxes THE DAY I get all of required W2s, etc.
So basically my SSN and all information has been leaked twice. By the fucking government and now these assholes at Experian.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just have to laugh at Equifax's online site being broken and not allowing you to add 90-day credit freezes at this point. What a joke.

Plinko

I just did mine earlier this morning and I had no issues.

My mistake--it was the fraud alert site.

Edit: Just tried the credit freeze and it, too, said it couldn't be done at this time. Amazing.

Just froze all three online, no problems. What a pain in the ass.

I don't know whether to freeze my credit or what.... at a loss here.

Just bought a house, paid off our car, and my credits on the up... should I freeze it now? Wait and see if anything weird happens?

Freeze now, unless you're planning on buying a new car or opening a new credit card in the immediate future. Why wait to see if/when someone steals your identity?

Just froze all three online, no problems. What a pain in the ass.

Freeze now, unless you're planning on buying a new car or opening a new credit card in the immediate future. Why wait to see if/when someone steals your identity?

Will it freeze/stop my credit from improving? Or does it just prevent new stuff in my name?

Equifax had 'admin' as login and password in Argentina

Absolutely unreal how neglectful this organisation was to people's privacy/livelihoods

b3tF3Jn.gif

what the fuck are you doing equifax???

Trying to freeze my credit through Equifax.. damn system is down.

Only thing a credit freeze does is prevent new accounts from being opened until the freeze is cancelled/thawed. All your other credit cards and credit lines will still work and continued use of them should improve your credit score.

Well shit im getting on that now

mackattk

Trying to freeze my credit through Equifax.. damn system is down.

Will it freeze/stop my credit from improving? Or does it just prevent new stuff in my name?

Only thing a credit freeze does is prevent new accounts from being opened until the freeze is cancelled/thawed. All your other credit cards and credit lines will still work and continued use of them should improve your credit score.

Izayoi

Banned
Put on a fraud alert for my wife and I, but also looking in to freezing our accounts as well. In the process of migrating to a new password manager and replacing all of my existing passwords with new randomly generated ones in addition to freezing everything.

I heard that there are rumors Equifax is working on a method of freezing all three of your accounts from one central location. This would be great - I'm tempted to wait until this goes through for the sake of ease.

Good to know, thank you.

I've been unable to keep up with all of the news this week.

From the description of what happened I'm surprise there isn't a louder uproar.

When I get the chance I will set up fraud alert for myself. Is it fairly easy to set up?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I've been unable to keep up with all of the news this week.

From the description of what happened I'm surprise there isn't a louder uproar.

When I get the chance I will set up fraud alert for myself. Is it fairly easy to set up?

They need to be hung for this shit HUNG. Fuck these mother fuckers

Plinko

Everything on Equifax is still down. What a complete joke.

mackattk

I am so pissed at this. Was going to wait a few days to lock my credit with Equifax because that automated pin numbers... The majority of the credits that are locked would have the day of, or the day after the leak took place.. so a good portion of that pin number would have already been known.

Now the fucking system is down. An employee login had admin/admin as the username/pass... what the fuck. We put our trust in these guys because we have absolutely no option not to, and this is the security they use? This is gonna ruin thousands of people's lives.

I've decided I'm not signing up for Equifax's monitoring service. There is the ever-impending class-action suit (that might be the largest of it's kind ever recorded) and I don't want to take myself out from being a claimant.

I wouldn't be surprised if, by this time in two years, Equifax's information isn't credible by banks and lenders.

Linkura

Ok fuck this, I'm gonna do a freeze. Already did an alert as soon as I saw the news but it's obviously not enough.
Just did it online with Transunion but the other two had errors when I tried online so I gotta call them. Motherfuckers.

Edit: does anyone have a working phone number for Experian? I get a busy signal when I call the one on their website. These fucking chucklefucks....

Edit 2: got a "working" number but the automated system claims they can't do it over the phone. Motherfuckers.

Alright... signed up for Fraud Alert.. fuck this shitty ass company for not protecting our data. Knowing it was as simple as a known issue with software and a patch was available blows my mind...
Worst part is that a Republican bumpkin from Idaho is the head of banking committee and said we dont need to hold hearings and question equifax executives.

mackattk

Worst part is that a Republican bumpkin from Idaho is the head of banking committee and said we dont need to hold hearings and question equifax executives.

I have never had any doubt in my mind that the exec's would even get a slap on their hand for not putting security over profits. Nothing will happen to them. Millions of americans will have to pay the price.

gwarm01

I checked CreditKarma and so far my credit is pretty good at 800+.

I signed up for Credit Karma today. They say they will notify me of any inquiries.. think this will be enough? I have a car purchase coming up soon and potentially could be moving and dealing with the credit freeze seems like a hassle.

I signed up for Credit Karma today. They say they will notify me of any inquiries.. think this will be enough? I have a car purchase coming up soon and potentially could be moving and dealing with the credit freeze seems like a hassle.

You might want to set up a Fraud Alert if you're not going to freeze credit anytime soon.

Linkura

Was finally able to get the freeze on the phone with Experian. They said they'll mail the PIN. Did anyone else have to get theirs mailed? Should I call them instead?

Need to do Equifax and Chexsystems still... and my husband's. Ugh

Edit: Chexsystems was easy as fuck online... Equifax number didn't work of course.

TalonJH

Local news

If it hasn't been posted:

Louisville law firm Jones Ward PLC takes aim at Equifax

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...m-sues-credit-giant-jones-ward-plc/658397001/

Jones Ward PLC has filed a class action lawsuit in district court seeking that they install better security measures and provide financial compensation for damages on behalf of all consumers affected in the Bluegrass State.

"People are outraged that the company allowed this data breach to happen, and then made the problem worse by failing to notify them as soon as it found out," said Alex Davis, a lawyer at Jones Ward PLC.

The lawsuit states that Equifax knew about the security breach in late-July and that a top executive for the company sold nearly $1.8 million in shares in August before the hack was made public.

Christine Anderson, of Independence, Kentucky, who is one of the names on the suit, found out that she was one of the 143 million that had her information leaked and approached Jones Ward seeking a lawsuit, Davis said.

"Equifax must be held accountable for letting hackers steal personal information from tens of thousands of Kentuckians," Davis said.

mackattk

Was finally able to get the freeze on the phone with Experian. They said they'll mail the PIN. Did anyone else have to get theirs mailed? Should I call them instead?

Need to do Equifax and Chexsystems still... and my husband's. Ugh

Edit: Chexsystems was easy as fuck online... Equifax number didn't work of course.

Yeah I did mine with experian earlier today. They said that the pin number will be mailed

GodofWine

I checked my credit report / open accounts, everything looks normal.

So I just did a Fraud Alert, its been months since data was breached, if it didn't turn into a problem yet, it likely won't if you use Fraud Alert. if there are no incidents of fraud, a Fraud Alert should render your information unusable by the bad guys.

Edit - Conspiracy Theory - They did this on purpose to sell TONS of credit monitoring programs. (Do they profit from freezes, its free in NJ to freeze, and $5 to thaw, but other States are more expensive., millions of people paying 5-15 dollars times 3 to freeze, and the same to thaw.)

So I just did a Fraud Alert, its been months since data was breached, if it didn't turn into a problem yet, it likely won't, and if there is no incidents of fraud, a Fraud Alert should render your information unusable by the bad guys.

Don't think that way. I just got hit yesterday. Twice.

Linkura

Yeah I did mine with experian earlier today. They said that the pin number will be mailed
Good, thanks. For some reason I was able to do my husband's online but not mine.

So I got Transunion for my husband (need online account info) and Equifax for both of us to do. All the others are done. Having trouble with Equifax both online and on the phone.

mackattk

So I just did a Fraud Alert, its been months since data was breached, if it didn't turn into a problem yet, it likely won't if you use Fraud Alert. if there are no incidents of fraud, a Fraud Alert should render your information unusable by the bad guys.

Fraud alert is only 90 days, right? If your data has been leaked.. It is out there. Your SSN won't change. It also won't completely stop someone if they have done enough research on you and if they have been able to figure out some stuff. It helps but isn't 100% safe.

It has been months since the data has been breached. 143 million people though. If you haven't been hit yet it shouldn't be a surprise.. You just got lucky enough that you haven't been hit yet. It might be next week, next month, 2 years, or 5 years... eventually though, if your information is out there it is only a matter of time.

Top Bottom