• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

Ron Mexico

Won't be related to the Equifax breach. Case of a rep that had no clue. Reading the thread, the call was from compliance. The likely result is the customer in question failed something like an OFAC check (shockingly common with common names) or there was a case of a prior charge-off or something similar.

When you open an account, especially at the large banks, there's some basic checks that are baked into the account opening process in the branch. There's then additional screening that's done through the compliance area where these hits will come up.

The timing makes it look bad, but the likely chain of events was the account was likely new-ish, failed one of Chase's protocols, after which a hold was placed on the available funds with a check to follow. I wouldn't say this is a common occurrence, but certainly not unheard of.

hollomat

Banned
I signed up for the Trusted Id service offered by Equifax, but when I log in, under my credit lock status it says an error has occurred, contact customer support. It's been saying this since Tuesday.

Anyone else have this issue? Anytime I try to call customer support the number is always busy. The way they are handling this is so shitty.

ParityBit

So I am hearing (someone I know tried too) that you can put in a random last name and random numbers for a soc and it says you are impacted? I do not think that Equifax tool is working ....

mdsfx

So I am hearing (someone I know tried too) that you can put in a random last name and random numbers for a soc and it says you are impacted? I do not think that Equifax tool is working ....
Or they have a list of names with numbers that ARE secure and anything outside of that list comes back as 'affected'

Zoe

It's checking against a whitelist of people who haven't been impacted. That way you can't brute force your way into figuring out legitimate combinations.

Neoweee

Or they have a list of names with numbers that ARE secure and anything outside of that list comes back as 'affected'

There is a WAS affected and a MAY HAVE BEEN affected levels, which makes it more complicated to figure out what the hell is going on.

To whoever mentioned amazon 2 factor some many pages back I want to say thank you as I seem to just get a text with a security code so someone must have gotten my password and trying to gain access and thanks to 2 factor wasn't able to. Probably a coincidence but with my main credit card info getting stolen early this week and now this it's not making this breach any less stressful for me.

How long does it take for Equifax's free credit monitoring thing to get back to you?

I waited until the 12th when I could start it, and I signed up for it a few days ago but I still haven't gotten any email confirming it went through.

I'm sure it's swamped with people doing it, but I'd at least like a confirmation email or something.

Averon

How long does it take for Equifax's free credit monitoring thing to get back to you?

I waited until the 12th when I could start it, and I signed up for it a few days ago but I still haven't gotten any email confirming it went through.

I'm sure it's swamped with people doing it, but I'd at least like a confirmation email or something.

I'm waiting on the confirmation e-mail, too. I signed up in the 13th.

Linkura

To whoever mentioned amazon 2 factor some many pages back I want to say thank you as I seem to just get a text with a security code so someone must have gotten my password and trying to gain access and thanks to 2 factor wasn't able to. Probably a coincidence but with my main credit card info getting stolen early this week and now this it's not making this breach any less stressful for me.

nNthiEJ.gif

You froze your credit too, right?

Mihos

Gold Member
It's checking against a whitelist of people who haven't been impacted. That way you can't brute force your way into figuring out legitimate combinations.

Yeah, but you can brute force your way to finding out who is on it.

You froze your credit too, right?

Would love to but even if it's not too expensive based on my state with how low income I am at the moment I can't afford to do so right at this moment so I've set up a fraud alert and changing passwords and stuff for now until I'm able to freeze them.

LaneDS

Tried to freeze through Experian and got a

"We were unable to honor your request to place a security freeze on your personal credit report based on the information you entered"

message. Is that just the service being down, or is this some other bullshit? The steps to take seemed not super useful.

Linkura

Tried to freeze through Experian and got a

"We were unable to honor your request to place a security freeze on your personal credit report based on the information you entered"

message. Is that just the service being down, or is this some other bullshit? The steps to take seemed not super useful.
They're a little wonky. Try the phone if you haven't.

mdsfx

So it looks like credit card numbers were exposed as well. So for that, what do we do besides review our account activity constantly?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So it looks like credit card numbers were exposed as well. So for that, what do we do besides review our account activity constantly?

for my cards i have it set to text/email me anytime a charge is made that wasn't done in person (i.e. online, phone, mail)

I got a call from my CC company today about a bunch of fraudulent charges over the past few days. They closed the account and a new card is on the way. She said they'll take care of the rest.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
And in the response, the laughable idea of making a new domain instead of breach2017.equifax.com.
Cybersecurity team needs to be fired and replaced.
Or. more likely. built up because there was none.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The hell are these questions Transunion is asking to confirm my identity? Two out of four questions were related to my brother's ex-wife, they have been divorced for like 5 years now. I barely knew her while they were married, and I certainly don't know where she works or lives now.

Experian's questions were a lot more reasonable.

Amory

Why the f is transunion charging me 19.95 a month just to freeze my account

I thought it was supposed to be a one time fee of like 8 bucks

I just found out a credit card by synchrony bank was closed by them based on my credit report. My credit score hasn't changed much in the past year, so I have no idea what made them do this. I can view it on my Discover card, but not my report.

I already pulled my report a few months ago from annual credit report site, so that's off the table. Any other way to do a soft pull of my credit report to see if something is going on with it? I signed up with the equifax thing, but who knows how long it'll take to get an email.

Big Chungus

uhh...

i think equifax was the one providing me free protection after my student loans info was lost here in canada a few years ago...

hope im not affected by this leak...

mackattk

Tried to freeze my credit with equifax because the system was down last week.

FUCK.

Well I guess my freeze got processed, and instead of a confirmation page with a pin number, it gave me a "your request couldn't be processed at this time" error page, because my only options after putting my information in is to lift a freeze by date range or permanently remove the freeze.

Now I have to try to figure out what I need to do and mail a letter to fucking god damn equifax and hope that they fix this and give me a new pin number eventually in the next however many months it is going to take because they are going to be so busy with trying to fix everyone else's problems.

What a piece of shit company.

I just found out a credit card by synchrony bank was closed by them based on my credit report. My credit score hasn't changed much in the past year, so I have no idea what made them do this. I can view it on my Discover card, but not my report.

I already pulled my report a few months ago from annual credit report site, so that's off the table. Any other way to do a soft pull of my credit report to see if something is going on with it? I signed up with the equifax thing, but who knows how long it'll take to get an email.

https://www.creditkarma.com/

So Equifax leaked CC info too? How do they even have that? And how does someone use that info anyway? Just order some shit online and pray?

Ron Mexico

Synchrony closed the card-- you should see a line akin to "Closed by credit grantor" underneath. Considering they're usually store cards, it could be for something as benign as inactivity.

None of the credit bureaus make any credit decisions. They merely report what the lenders provide to them. It's honestly what made this breach so brutal-- it's not really one source. It's how many lines this touches.

If you haven't already, annualcreditreport.com is your go-to for a once per year soft pull to check these things out. Also, some credit unions have the ability to do soft pulls as a member service, but that's very much YMMV.

So Equifax leaked CC info too? How do they even have that? And how does someone use that info anyway? Just order some shit online and pray?

The only thing that would make sense given the number of card numbers leaked compared to the full breach would be the payment info for those who signed up for their fraud prevention or had other transactional purchases with Equifax directly. The irony.

Tangentially related, but I was curious about something.

Since this has happened, I've decided to keep a better eye on my credit, since before I didn't do anything. Would people recommend having accounts with the three credit bureaus? I have one with TransUnion and Experian now, would it still be worth it to have one with Equifax as well? Experian's is nice, since it actually shows all my account information, but TransUnion's is completly pointless. Can't see anything without a monthly fee I can't really afford. Just wondering what people had to say about it.

Also have all three bureaus frozen now, so feeling a little bit better.

Tangentially related, but I was curious about something.

Since this has happened, I've decided to keep a better eye on my credit, since before I didn't do anything. Would people recommend having accounts with the three credit bureaus? I have one with TransUnion and Experian now, would it still be worth it to have one with Equifax as well? Experian's is nice, since it actually shows all my account information, but TransUnion's is completly pointless. Can't see anything without a monthly fee I can't really afford. Just wondering what people had to say about it.

Also have all three bureaus frozen now, so feeling a little bit better.
Credit karma lets you see credit report from TransUnion for free, updated every week.

Apt101

Credit karma lets you see credit report from TransUnion for free, updated every week.

It also shows EquiFax.

Some kind of credit monitoring service could be a consideration as well. Many are a woeful ripoff though - like All Clear ID, the one many got for free for a time after the Sony hack. They never, ever, alerted me of any activity regarding my credit. So steer clear (lol) of them.

Thanks for the information, but unfortunately, I can't create a Credit Karma account with freezes in place. If I get some spare cash, I'll unfreeze for a few days to set some stuff up, but I'll have to put it off for a while.

Their customer service has been sending people to the wrong website to check if they were affected or not:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/equifax-breach-company-sent-customers-to-wrong-site-for-weeks-report/

Nearly two weeks after Equifax revealed that data from 143 million people had been compromised, it turns out the company has been sending people to the wrong site to check if their data was compromised, The Verge reports.

After the breach was revealed on Sept. 7, the company -- one of the nation's three biggest credit bureaus -- set up the website equifaxsecurity2017.com for customers to check if they had been affected.

But several tweets dating as far back as Sept. 9n show that the company's customer service team mistakenly sent users to a different site, securityequifax2017.com.

They're so fucking incompetent.

Scarecrow

Successfully got my freeze through with Transunion. experion is sayin I have to send some info in through the mail. Can't even get equifax website to load. It seems down. What were the other two smaller credit sites to look into?

The Lamp

I got my report freezed but they never mailed me my PIN so I can never lift it again. And now apparently the post above says they sent me to the wrong website to put in my info? Fuck this

Top Bottom