• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan accuses Germany of 'Nazi practices' over blocked political rallies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's outrageous that he's calling Germany nazis, 'cause as far as I know, modern Germans absolutely despise their past

Your knowledge is correct

I liked the reaction to all this by the German politician Cem Özdemir from the Greens. He basically said he would be prepared to have is own rally on the Taksim square in Turkey to see if Ankara would guarantee his safety.

As if.

Ogodei

And there is Merkel running to defuse the situation as fast as possible. He can say whatever he wants and all is forgiven.

That's the sad thing about being the adult in the room, you never get a chance to smack assholes in the face. The problem, as we see with folks like Erdogan, Duterte, and Trump, is that these bad-faith actors realize that they can start shit and have people apologize to *them* over that fact because the adults haven't worked out a way to deal with bad faith shit like this.

Caayn

It seems that Turkey is renting speech areas under false claims in an attempt to hide them from the governments from other countries. A room rental owner in Hengelo, the Netherlands and the mayor of that city claimed that the reservations for the locations were made under false pretences.

"Onder valse voorwendselen is die zaal geregeld. Ik moet er niet aan denken dat dit bezoek door zou gaan. Op kabinetsniveau is aangegeven dat deze Turkse leden niet welkom zijn voor dit soort bijeenkomsten."
Under false pretences has the location been arranged. I don't want to think that this visit would've happened. On a cabinat level it's been decided that the Turkish people aren't welcome here for such gatherings.
Source: http://nos.nl/artikel/2162170-turkse-minister-wil-naar-hengelo-zalencentrum-zegt-af.html (Dutch warning)

The Dutch government has withdrawn landing permission for the Turkish foreign minister's aircraft, escalating a diplomatic dispute between the two NATO allies over campaigning for a Turkish referendum on constitutional reform.

In a statement, the Dutch government said Saturday it had withdrawn the permission because of "risks to public order and security" caused by the proposed visit of Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu to Rotterdam.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...inister-determined-visit-netherlands-46063981

Seems like more and more countries disapprove of Turkey campaigning in their countries.

Something interesting I picked up since I made this thread: It seems like Turkeys own election laws prohibit campaigning in foreign countries.

Mivey

Something interesting I picked up since I made this thread: It seems like Turkeys own election laws prohibit campaigning in foreign countries.
The AKP is quite a bit above the law in Turkey. If anything they might use that to go after the opposition parties that also campaigned abroad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know I know, just reinforces what is already known. Found it to be interesting at least and wondered why for example Germanys reaction didn't mention that law.
Because there is a election this year and Merkel knows that when the refugee deal breaks she has problems.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described the Dutch as "Nazi remnants and fascists", as a row grows over a cancelled Rotterdam rally.
Earlier, the Dutch government withdrew landing permission for a plane carrying Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.
Mr Cavusoglu was originally scheduled to speak at a rally in support of a Yes vote in a referendum which would give Mr Erdogan greatly increased powers.
However, the rally was banned.
Mr Cavusoglu warned Turkey would impose heavy sanctions if his visit were blocked.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39242707?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Didn't take long.

Edit: Seems like there is a dedicated thread for this now, guess this one can be closed.

Wow trump loves these leaders: Putin, Duterte, Firage, Wilders and now we see Flynn was pimping for erdogan do they all fly to some base beneath an atoll and affix their Smersh badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom