• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan Urges Turks Across The EU To Have Many Kids & "Become The Future Of Europe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Erdogan is on my huge list of angry strongmen who I wish had congenital heart problems. There are so many single people in this world, from Kim Jong Un to Putin to Donald Trump where literally the world would be better off if they were never born.

"Oh they'd just be replaced by someone worse"

No. Statistically there just aren't that many awful horrible people.

JordanN

Banned
Erdogan is on my huge list of angry strongmen who I wish had congenital heart problems. There are so many single people in this world, from Kim Jong Un to Putin to Donald Trump where literally the world would be better off if they were never born.

"Oh they'd just be replaced by someone worse"

No. Statistically there just aren't that many awful horrible people.

Hahahahaha. 62 million people voted for Trump. And that's just America. There's no shortage of horrible people.

It's not a coincidence that he's telling people to do exactly what the racists here claim that muslims are doing. Like already mentioned, he wants democracy to fall so that noone will care about what he does in his country, and the best way to do that is to stoke the racist fears.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's not a coincidence that he's telling people to do exactly what the racists here claim that muslims are doing. Like already mentioned, he wants democracy to fall so that noone will care about what he does in his country, and the best way to do that is to stoke the racist fears.

Backfired for him in the Netherlands, however. So he's probably extra mad right now.

G.ZZZ

more taxpayers yay

No offense but really no. This is a mindset we should lose. Young people aren't paying for anyone's pension right now, in fact they're the category most vulnerable to poverty and joblessness.

The era of the economy based on endless population growth has ended, and the sooner people realize this, the sooner we may repair the damage a balooning growth has done to this planet and save our future generations.

Madness

Well, this is only going to fuel white nationalism.

No kidding. Didn't some US politician just be criticized for saying something like 'we cannm
ot save our civilization with someone elses babies' and then you have a moron like Erdogan saying this stuff. I can easily see it fuel the far right in Europe. He knows what he is saying too. This just encourages greater discord amongst the west, helps for them to ignore his dictatorial reign in Turkey right now.

But for non-Erdogan loving Turks outside Turkey, this won't be good because there will start to be backlash against this guy and they will get lumped in etc.

JordanN

Banned
I mean true charismatic monsters versus generic evil/stupid.

Trump's cabinet already has plenty. Mike Pence. Steve Bannon. Paul Ryan.

Trump only comes off as being the most unapologetic, but that could easily be filled with any alt-right internet troll.

Shiggy

more taxpayers yay

It would be great, but those living in Germany and supporting Erdogan are often not well integrated, not well educated, and have a high poverty risk. In fact, a third of those with a Turkish migration background live below the poverty line, compared to 14% of those without a migration background.

Erdogan knows pretty well of these issues and even urges Turkish people in Germany to not integrate. By asking them to get more kids, he's just asking for more trouble here.

spwolf

Stupid right wingers propping up other right wingers. I'm sure most Turks living in the EU hate this tyrants guts.

yeah, unfortunately that referendum is going to pass by crazy majority... everyone hates him and yet everyone will vote for him, so much for that.

It is old school nationalistic rhetoric that unfortunately works.

I don't have anything against Turks. 99.9999% of them aren't this insecure shitstain of a petty man, that's a plus.

Unfortunately almost half of us (?) still worship that asshole.

I'm NOT excited for April 16th (date of the referandum that can-likely will- turn the country into a presidential republic)

dakun

I don't have anything against Turks. 99.9999% of them aren't this insecure shitstain of a petty man, that's a plus.

as someone with Turkish family, you are way overestimating. i'd say the number of sane Turks has become a minority.
A majority are either Islamists or Nationalists or both. Both of which are dangerous for Turkey's future.

He is just trolling to rile up Europeans.

Stupid right wingers propping up other right wingers. I'm sure most Turks living in the EU hate this tyrants guts.
Surprisingly no. Most Turks in EU support him.

The "immigrate and outbreed" tactic isn't going to work when your scouts get culturally conquered every time they leave the mother land. Raising the kids in a Western culture is only going to raise more Western kids.
There are many Turks within Turkey who live a Western lifestyle which is perfectly compatible with their Turkish ethnic identity. It shouldn't be seen as an "either, or" scenario.

Dahaka

How could you (in 2017!) not know that slightly more than half the country voted for this man? I wouldn't hold back against Turks just to find a safe way to speak out against Erdogan.
Most Turks I know adore this man and always argument that Europe wants to put the Turk down because they fear the rise of the Ottomans. Erdogan fanboys are the worst and share the same insecurities and megalomania.

Since most Turks in Germany are from the more backwards eastern parts of that country the percentage of Erdocunts is very high.

Pancake Mix

Erdogan's party got three seats in Dutch parliament.

I mean Erdogan was trying to cause problems with his campaigning in the Netherlands for his rigged constitutional referendum giving him ultimate power. He's a Turkish nationalist happy to help other nationalists cause instability.

Thankfully the VVD's coalition government was having none of that. It worked and the VVD only lost seats...far from the disaster many thought would happen just a week ago. With how many parties there are to choose from, I think he just helped the VVD win support at the last minute.

Surprisingly no. Most Turks in EU support him.

Yes, it's unfortunate but it seems to be the case....no idea why they'd want to live in Western Europe instead then.

There are many Turks within Turkey who live a Western lifestyle which is perfectly compatible with their Turkish ethnic identity. It shouldn't be seen as an "either, or" scenario.

Yeah, Turkey has a well-known history of trying to meet the west halfway with strong secular reforms. Erdogan and his supporters are ruining that proud history. There was even one on GAF at one point :(

Jon Tron was right!!!! *dun dun dun*
giphy.gif

Why do Turks think Turkey is so great?
To be honest the actual country, culture, society (away from politics and religion) is fantastic, especially the Secular Aegean-Mediterranean region and the Secular demographic.

There's a warm feeling I get when I'm in Turkey that I don't feel in the UK.

But that kind of "Turkey is great" is different from "OTTOMAN EMPIRE RISING" crap from Erdofanboys and fangirls.

Pancake Mix

To be honest the actual country, culture, society (away from politics and religion) is fantastic, especially the Secular Aegean-Mediterranean region and the Secular demographic.

There's a warm feeling I get when I'm in Turkey that I don't feel in the UK.

But that kind of "Turkey is great" is different from "OTTOMAN EMPIRE RISING" crap from Erdofanboys and fangirls.

I think Ataturk's liberal reforms and the impact of them was pretty amazing.

It's a real shame what has happened to destroy recently, because Turkey's rapid transformation was absolutely mindblowing.

The Ottoman society was a traditional one and the women had no political rights, even after the Second Constitutional Era in 1908. During the early years of the Turkish Republic educated women struggled for political rights. One notable female political activist was Nezihe Muhittin who founded the first women's party in June 1923, which however was not legalized because the Republic was not officially declared.

With intense struggle, the Turkish women achieved voting rights in local elections by the act of 1580 on 3 April 1930.[29] Four years later, through legislation enacted on 5 December 1934, they gained full universal suffrage, earlier than most other countries.[29] The reforms in the Turkish civil code, including those affecting women's suffrage, were "breakthroughs not only within the Islamic world but also in the western world".[30]

In 1935, in the general elections Eighteen female MP's joined the parliament, at a time when women in a significant number of other European countries had no voting rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atat%C3%BCrk's_Reforms

Yes, you read that right. As late as 1984 in Liechtenstein and 1990 for local issues in one Swiss Canton.

Why do Turks think Turkey is so great?

I dunno man. I guess it's the stark patriotism left over from WW1 and the Turkish Battle of Independence, that feeling of triumph against Western invasion. Also coupled with pride of being the "democratic bastion of Islam" and a feeling that the whole Western world is out to get the Turks.

As for me, a great double combo of getting a truly modern, secular education and being atheist for my whole life means that my driving motivation to study is to get the fucking hell out of this shithole as soon as possible and establish a life outside these borders, and only return permanently in a coffin.

jelly

Is there that many Turks outside Turkey allowed to vote or is there some hoops to jump through because wouldn't it be amazing if those people voted against Erdogan or does he have so much control, that elections are rigged?

There is the strange contradiction of people being all angry about demographic changes, then refusing to have babies.

It's like when you get racists in Canada and then you have to inform them our birth rate is not high enough to sustain the country without immigrants.

Makes you wonder how much birth rate influence the "cultural anxiety" going around these days.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think Ataturk's liberal reforms and the impact of them was pretty amazing.

It's a real shame what has happened to destroy recently, because Turkey's rapid transformation was absolutely mindblowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atat%C3%BCrk's_Reforms

Yes, you read that right. As late as 1984 in Liechtenstein and 1990 for local issues in one Swiss Canton.

Why does this remind me of Afghanistan? Oh I know: because Afghanistan's socio-economic development was incredible until the Talibans rose to power. Look at photos of Afghan society back in the... 60s I believe, and you'll be shocked at how different the situation was back then.

You get all this progress, but it takes just a few shitheads to destroy everything. I mean, I realize that it's always more complicated than that, but still. It's frustrating to say the least.

kingkaiser

Is there that many Turks outside Turkey allowed to vote or is there some hoops to jump through because wouldn't it be amazing if those people voted against Erdogan or does he have so much control, that elections are rigged?

About 2.8 million people within the EU are allowed to vote in the Turkish elections, half of them are living in Germany. So yeah, it's quite a battleground here and that tale about "conquering" Europe through immigration is somewhat a very popular folklore among all nationalists in Europe including many Turks.

Nearly all Diaspora Turks have Turkish Citizenship ID cards. Even those of us born in Europe.

I've never lived in Turkey but I have the exact same citizenship rights, access to government services etc. as those that actually live in Turkey.

Caayn

Nearly all Diaspora Turks have Turkish Citizenship ID cards. Even those of us born in Europe.

I've never lived in Turkey but I have the exact same citizenship rights, access to government services etc. as those that actually live in Turkey.
That to me is crazy.

Someone that has never lived, and possibly never will, in a country to have the same rights as someone who lives there. That way you can affect the lives of people in a country where you don't live by voting for a candidate who you prefer but not the actual people who live there o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom