• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
genuinely curious what your problem with Barstool is? They're putting out great stuff right now, Pardon My Take is a brilliant podcast

I don't hate PFT or Big Cat, or Uncle Chaps for that matter. I hate all the other b.s. they put out, especially from the college specific accounts. The main accounts still put out all that sexist garbage they made rheir name with.

I would provide links if I wasn't on mobile right now, but a couple days ago we had the Barstool writer defending the Red Sox pitcher headhunting, and another writer today talking about ESPN failing while Barstool is on the rise as they have another big hire to announce.

I never really gave any thought on what the future of sports broadcasting would be like in the new fragmented online media landscape. Is there even any potential for smaller/solo independant outlets to flourish like in other venues of entertainment?
For myself, I've found myself watching a lot a low-manpower (0-1 man booths, 1 camera) productions on YouTube, often produced by the team or league itself. I have watched all of my alma mater's club lacrosse team's games this season filmed by one of the team member's dads, no announcer, one (often shaky) camera. I've watched maybe three full ESPN/BTN lacrosse games.

A side benefit is that there is a lot more variety available. I've watched men's and women's lacrosse, handball, polo, ultimate, darts, bowls, rowing, sailing, karting, indoor soccer, futsal, field hockey, volleyball, an Italian American football league, etc..., all of which get shit for coverage on ESPN/Fox. The downside is, money. They can't be making a lot of money on YouTube, so most of this is decidedly amateur. Some organizations have their own platforms and charge for views (e.g. ECHL, Major League Lacrosse,) but I have a hard time justifying paying for minor league sports coverage.

H3xum

I'm going to play the worlds smallest violin for ESPN

3-9-2010_2-23-31_pm.jpg

I wish this image had an update more recent than 2009 but you get the idea

It is over 7 dollars now. 9+ for the ESPN Suite

Duxxy3

It was. It used to be one of Disney's crown jewels. A large chunk of that is that they charge satellite and cable providers a preposterous amount to carry it. So if you have cable or satellite, you are paying over $7 a month for ESPN regardless of whether you watch it or not.

Enter the trend of cord cutters, as satellite and cable providers find themselves losing subscribers. That hurts ESPN badly, way more than most cable networks because they weren't getting as much and weren't as dependent on it.

Then add onto that all the recent blockbuster multi-billion dollar deals with live sports and you have increased costs and reduced revenue.

This is, ultimately, what has ruined ESPN. The large contracts are going to kill the company unless they are able to escape from them somehow.

Dazzler

I don't hate PFT or Big Cat, or Uncle Chaps for that matter. I hate all the other b.s. they put out, especially from the college specific accounts. The main accounts still put out all that sexist garbage they made rheir name with.

I would provide links if I wasn't on mobile right now, but a couple days ago we had the Barstool writer defending the Red Sox pitcher headhunting, and another writer today talking about ESPN failing while Barstool is on the rise as they have another big hire to announce.

Yea I ignore that stuff myself, Pres says and does some sketchy shit in the name of content

Will happily watch/read anything put out by the guys you mentioned

j-wood

Yep, they let go of a bunch of the team beat writers too I believe (the one I follow for Titans coverage being one of them).

Sucks. What doesn't make sense is getting rid of their best talent.

He's still more valuable, as a personality, than some rando beat reporter. People aren't checking for ESPN for the top plays or cookie cutter news programming. You have to give them something they can't get elsewhere, hence you have "the six" which despite how much I dislike it (strong "how do you do fellow kids" vibes) is rebranding sportscenter around two personalities. The six doesn't work if Chris Batman and Linda Cohn are hosting it. It's not all that unlike the issues the video games press are running into. When people start getting their games impressions and reviews elsewhere, they started scrambling around personalities and expanding more into pop culture topics. Hence you get Sportscenter turning into "Drake Stans: The Show". It's been trending this way since PTI.

In that, we agree - ESPN and FS1 are turning to personality programming rather than "sports" programming. If you want highlights, the league's specialty networks and all the online options have you more than covered.

I could care less about more opinion-based programming. It's one step away from cable news at that point.

Yea I ignore that stuff myself, Pres says and does some sketchy shit in the name of content

Will happily watch/read anything put out by the guys you mentioned

Pres was the guy who mentioned the big hire, fyi. It's so hard to remember the names on that site cause half the people there just use nicknames lol

Is this fact or rumor? Lebatard is one of my favorites. It would be a shame, not a deal breaker but a shame.

I am not speculating whether I know anything or not... I'm just saying if they leave, I follow. Those three guys are the only thing I care about on ESPN.

When ESPN News first came on the air, I considered it the peak of ESPN. I had that channel on 24 hours a day, even just as background noise. ESPN has pulled an MTV, and gotten so far away from what they were, they lost their identity.

Jacce

Banned
Wow, the bitterness about the NHL not cominnback to their network in full swing.

That or the fact NHL is far less popular than the NFL, NBA, and MLB that it makes no sense to devote a lot of talent to it when the interest isn't really there. NHL is niche by comparison. Just look at the playoff ratings this year. NHL's aren't even in the same ballpark as the NBA so far this round.

I love my Dallas Stars but lets be honest, no one really cares about the NHL (in America) compared to the other big 3.

When ESPN News first came on the air, I considered it the peak of ESPN. I had that channel on 24 hours a day, even just as background noise. ESPN has pulled an MTV, and gotten so far away from what they were, they lost their identity.

Let's be real in 2017 news stories are broken and discussed on twitter even espn's own reporters like Ed werder use that platform to break news. Nobody is sitting around waiting for a commercial break to end so they can find out what's happening with Tim Tebow when it's all over social media the moment it happened. Much like MTV when they shifted away from playing videos in the 90s, ESPN shifting away from a pure news standpoint might not be popular but it makes the most sense. They need something proprietary. News is not proprietary, not when you are getting outscooped by college kids on twitter. Personalities and hot take focused show formats are.

I think Bomani Jones, Lebatard, and the PTI guys are the only ones I'd really miss and follow wherever they went if ESPN is stupid enough to dump them.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's funny to see ESPN fuck up so badly in the last decade.

FoxSports gonna have a hayday plucking the talent from this round, and scooping up anyone left that wants out.

Colin made the right move.

see5harp

It's not their fault but if these companies don't have the balls to sell their services a la carte like HBO then they can die for all I care. Fuck Comcast, at&t, direct TV, and DISH network for life.

jfkgoblue

Brent Mussberger when?

And I have a hate/hate relationship with Danny Kannel. He can go.
He retired this year
It's not their fault but if these companies don't have the balls to sell their services a la carte like HBO then they can die for all I care. Fuck Comcast, at&t, direct TV, and DISH network for life.
The a la carte system sounds good on paper, but in reality it just doesn't work for most. HBO/Showtime etc have always been a la carte so it was easy for them, but non-premium cable channels? Good luck.

Also, this theoretical ESPN stand alone would cost $30/month. Then add in other channels you want just for Sports like FOX, NBC, Turner and all of a sudden you're paying more for less channels than cable.

ESPN's strength of showing highlights have become outdated due to YouTube. There's tons of people doing as good of a job there using stolen game footage. It's cheaper to watch them.

Massicot

Buccigross was one of the few personable, seemingly-genuine people left on the network. He made jokes than didn't land sometimes but was obviously very invested in the sport, even giving college highlights sometimes. I wish they'd keep him instead of fucking Melrose. The fact that they do hockey highlights with the diner theme is so, so dumb.

But even though I like following sports, I've been tuning to ESPN on my Sling service less and less often. Just fallen out of habit. I don't need to hear a dozen people's hot takes.

geestack

FoxSports gonna have a hayday plucking the talent from this round, and scooping up anyone left that wants out.

considering that fox sports has shittier ratings and already had multiple rounds of layoffs, i doubt they'll be looking to pickup any big names. the reason idiots like skip, colin, whitlock, and chris "mempis" broussard are even there is because of fox sports' strategy of using gasbags to spit hot takes for controversy.

personally, i only watch espn for their nba coverage which has improved (greatly) since they put michelle beadle in for sage steele and let them do their thing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Which I don't understand. I would pay money if NBC got NBA back, hockey fans should be happy they're on NBC instead

Agree completely.

That or the fact NHL is far less popular than the NFL, NBA, and MLB that it makes no sense to devote a lot of talent to it when the interest isn't really there. NHL is niche by comparison. Just look at the playoff ratings this year. NHL's aren't even in the same ballpark as the NBA so far this round.

I love my Dallas Stars but lets be honest, no one really cares about the NHL (in America) compared to the other big 3.

I agree, but they are already barebones as it is, and yet tHey have a show dedicated to NASCAR, which is completely tanking.

It's not like FS1 is lighting the world on fire. First Take is still beating Skip at his own game in head to head ratings. That Cowherd/Whitlock PTI-esque shoe was a total dud, and much like The Six, they retooled their nightly sports highlight show into something more resembling a pop culture leaning talk show. It's not the network that's the problem it's the format and dated concepts and in that regard FS1 is dealing with the same challenges as ESPN. They keep spending money on high priced ESPN leftovers and they could find themselves in a similar spot in a year or two.

Saying something racist to get fired was definitely the right move. Lol fs1 is a dumpster fire even compared to ESPN's downfall.

Hari Seldon

I wonder how much people getting burned out on Fantasy Football is hurting them. It seems like that craze has at least plateaued, and everyone that I know that who were in paid leagues seemed to get hyper into it and watched every highlight and followed all of the news and then eventually started to hate watching the NFL anymore lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom