• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

ESPN is going to be nothing but yelling, talking heads. Pure garbage, sports journalism is dead there.

ESPN is going to be nothing but yelling, talking heads. Pure garbage, sports journalism is dead there.

Nobody watches for good sports journalism anymore, after first take during tebow mania spiked the ratings it was the sign of the end of times.

End of an era.

I remember a looooooooong time ago when Clayton got Sean Salisbury fired up to the point where Salisbury started ripping on Clayton's physical appearance and telling him how easily he could kick his ass. It wasn't in a joking manner, either. Uncomfortable spot and would have probably resulted in a firing for Salisbury these days.
I think over the years they actually became pretty good friends, but that was my first memory of Clayton. :p

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's a shocker about Clayton.

Has John Coachman been heard of since the first round of layoffs?

I honestly can't believe hes still there. Dude has been working that WWE stuff there so hard I figured he knew what was up and was getting ready to go back there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Isn't Mike & Mike having problems? Both Mikes are not talking to each other off air.

Their show is ending this fall and yeah there have been a lot of reports that they don't even talk during commercial breaks

Not surprised. Greenie wants to be a full on entertainment show, and he's all in on his new show.

Golic liked what they had and as a former pro athlete likes just talking sports.

I think the only time I watch ESPN is MNF. Bummer about Clayton, though. ESPN revolutionized sports journalism 30+ years ago, but not sure they've managed to evolve with the times as well as they could. Pretty much squeezing as much cash from the cable business as they can as they succumb to the different viewing habits in this generation.

I don't watch ESPN anymore, outside of live games. Sad to see Clayton go though. He was great at what he did. I am sure he will land on his feet.

End of an era.

I remember a looooooooong time ago when Clayton got Sean Salisbury fired up to the point where Salisbury started ripping on Clayton's physical appearance and telling him how easily he could kick his ass. It wasn't in a joking manner, either. Uncomfortable spot and would have probably resulted in a firing for Salisbury these days.
I think over the years they actually became pretty good friends, but that was my first memory of Clayton. :p

I want to see this.

Supast4r

The weirdest thing about ESPN is that their website has worsened in the last year.

I used to love visiting ESPN New York -- it was my homepage for all things New York sports. But ever since the recent redesign, reading content is impossible. I just want my key headlines for the day and breaking news, goshdarnit!

ESPN should buy Yahoo Sports, let them run the website.
I completely agree with this. I go on ESPN Chicago and it's impossible to even find the score of the Cubs game on there. It's just filled with useless tweets from random talking heads about their opinion of the game rather than scores, schedule or what time the game actually starts...

Sanjuro

I completely agree with this. I go on ESPN Chicago and it's impossible to even find the score of the Cubs game on there. It's just filled with useless tweets from random talking heads about their opinion of the game rather than scores, schedule or what time the game actually starts...

Everyone is looking for different things. I never have a problem finding the box scores.

:(
Really ESPN you going to get rid of the talent that people still wanna watch? ESPN is a joke now days and it sucks they have the rights for MNF.

It would be hilarious if Fox Sports starts to beat ESPN.

I mean I liked Clayton but what does he really do? In terms of where espn is probably trying to take their network I mean? He's been there forever so you know he's not getting paid peanuts, and unfortunately there likely isn't much of a place for him in a world where a bulk of their programming will be focused on live sports and hot take reaction shows. Nobody is tuning in just to watch John Clayton.

Vanillalite

Really ESPN you going to get rid of the talent that people still wanna watch? ESPN is a joke now days and it sucks they have the rights for MNF.

I mean I liked Clayton but what does he really do? In terms of where espn is probably trying to take their network I mean? He's been there forever so you know he's not getting paid peanuts, and unfortunately there likely isn't much of a place for him in a world where a bulk of their programming will be focused on live sports and hot take reaction shows. Nobody is tuning in just to watch John Clayton.

Scooter gets it.

Nobody is tuning in to see Clayton even if he is a likable guy. Plus the news is gonna break regardless if he is there or not.

That's the thing. They've been cutting reporters mainly because a lot of them have been there for so long I can't imagine their salary is cheap. Plus relative to the content they produce they don't bring in near what they are probably paid for.

None of these people are bringing enough eyeballs to the situation.

effzee

Exactly. The posts in these threads are hilarious. "I don't watch ESPN its terrible but omg they released so and so he was the best journalism is dead!"

What? What sports "journalism" was Clayton providing? From my earliest memories of Clayton, he was the NFL insider who broke news here and there. They have Schefter and others to do that now.

dickroach

other than OTL and 30 for 30s that's all it's been for like 10 years.
they want 50 PTIs where everyone's yelling louder than everyone else

Exactly. The posts in these threads are hilarious. "I don't watch ESPN its terrible but omg they released so and so he was the best journalism is dead!"

What? What sports "journalism" was Clayton providing? From my earliest memories of Clayton, he was the NFL insider who broke news here and there. They have Schefter and others to do that now.

Yep. Sadly with the advent on twitter guys like Clayton are getting outscooped by college kids and bloggers, it really minimized the need for having that kind of guy on the payroll.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Haven't watched ESPN in a long time now but I'm pretty bummed to hear they got rid of John Clayton. That's fucked up. That Slayer/Segment commercial he did was pure gold. I'm sure he won't be unemployed for long. Dude is great.

blakep267

Eh I mean it's whatever floats your boat. I much prefer panel discussion shows from various point of views then 1 "expert" giving thoughts

I tune out when people like buster olney or John Clayton come on and give boring interviews.

Eh I mean it's whatever floats your boat. I much prefer panel discussion shows from various point of views then 1 "expert" giving thoughts

I tune out when people like buster olney or John Clayton come on and give boring interviews.

That is the preferred method of reporting these days. I don't know why they can't do this with the same talent they have retained for decades. Seems like a waste to me.

mreddie

Haven't watched ESPN in a long time now but I'm pretty bummed to hear they got rid of John Clayton. That's fucked up. That Slayer/Segment commercial he did was pure gold. I'm sure he won't be unemployed for long. Dude is great.

There's 3 Sports Networks more than there was since 2010, he'll find something.

Vanillalite

That is the preferred method of reporting these days. I don't know why they can't do this with the same talent they have retained for decades. Seems like a waste to me.

Tenured talent is high priced vs the return on investment for reporters these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom