• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Before the 2004 lockout? They absolutely were. NHL 2Night, multiple games broadcast every week, playoff broadcasts, features on Sportcenter, etc.

The NHL had pretty good status at ESPN, due more so to the Northeastern-raised ESPN execs' affinity for the sport than to the NHL's ability to generate revenue for ESPN. But after the lockout that all changed. And it's no surprise that the NBA has seen a meteoric rise since then, while the NHL has maintained as a relatively-niche sport. ESPN's influence was pretty big, and the NHL suffered from losing it.

I'm not suggesting that the NHL would be anywhere near the NBA's current position if there hadn't been a lockout and ESPN had kept them, but I'm certain they'd be in a better position than they are now. It'll always be a niche sport that mainly appeals to the northern states and Canada, but ESPN's continued promotion would have increased its status.

I was mainly talking about the period after the second lockout, yeah. NHL playoffs wouldn't even be covered on sportscenter instead they'd spend half the show on the last regular season Basketball games. Got even worse when both were in playoffs.

Marc Stein is gone. I'm absolutely shocked about that one.

Unreal. Nobody in ESPN had better sources than Marc Stein. Only one in the business better than him was Woj. I guess this leaves Shelbourne & Lowe as the last guys with real sources in the league to break things.

I honestly can't remember a time when ESPN NBA didn't have Stein. So weird.

Patryn

Unreal. Nobody in ESPN had better sources than Marc Stein. Only one in the business better than him was Woj. I guess this leaves Shelbourne & Lowe as the last guys with real sources in the league to break things.

Deadspin reported back in February that ESPN was getting close to finishing a deal luring Woj away from Yahoo, but it would take a few months to iron out the details

If that was accurate, this makes a bit more sense.

That rumor was a while ago now and it hasn't happened. And seeing as how expensive Woj and whatever project he'd bring would be, it would run counter to what ESPN is doing right now with these layoffs. Maybe it happens but why not have both? Those two with Shelbourne would cover the entire NBA insider circle...

Henry Abbott basically invented NBA blogging and looking into advanced stats, etc. Sigh. (note: not the stats, bringing it to the mainstream from those of us in the old Seattle board)

Man. This sucks. Marc Stein won't get to write the final Dirk piece on ESPN. What the fuck is this shit?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If he can grab Barnwell, Lowe, Stein, and Pelton, ESPN is useless to me.

Barnwell and Lowe he can't, Stein he can, might be able to get Pelton as well. The NFL coverage on Ringer has been getting better, but the NBA coverage is terrible. Also their pop-culture folks are ex-gawker level bad, ugh.

Sandfox

We all know Shelbourne's one source is Janie Buss(Who is close to Jeanie).

Barnwell and Lowe he can't, Stein he can, might be able to get Pelton as well. The NFL coverage on Ringer has been getting better, but the NBA coverage is terrible. Also their pop-culture folks are ex-gawker level bad, ugh.

i was just stating what i have left at espn, not that lowe and barnwell could go (they just re-signed last year IIRC).

UFO

Banned
I gave up on ESPN when they split up SVP & Russillo. That was the best thing on the radio, why would you fuck it up.

Faddy

Banned
Getting rid of Stein is a clear indication ESPN is moving away from reporting. They will do prestige stuff like OTL but otherwise they will be running press releases and scraping teams twitter feeds.

gutshot

Getting rid of Stein is a clear indication ESPN is moving away from reporting. They will do prestige stuff like OTL but otherwise they will be running press releases and scraping teams twitter feeds.

They still have Schefter who breaks more stories than anyone else across all sports.

no, not true. if so, then stugotz would have been jettisoned. here's an example of some stugotz reporting:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...gan-jim-harbaugh-indianapolis-colts/72675274/

...But ESPN Radio's Jon (Stugotz) Weiner flat-out said on "The Dan Le Batard Show" that Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh is going to be the next coach of the Indianapolis Colts, where Chuck Pagano is in trouble after just two games.

You know, now that Harbaugh has U-M back on top, his work in Ann Arbor apparently is done.

"I pride myself on seeing things before others see it, and I'm telling you right now, he is going to break Michigan's heart," Stugotz said. "I'm telling you, Chuck Pagano is out at Indianapolis. There is no way Jim Harbaugh is going to pass up the chance to, a.) get back in the NFL, and b.) coach Andrew Luck in the NFL.

"Jim Harbaugh, next season, will be the Colts' head coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom