• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL going in on ESPN.

nS5y5m7.jpg

I don't understand.

ESPN fired Ed Werder, then asked if he could cover the NFL Draft for them the next day.

WOW.

He was assigned to be with the Saints for the draft in a press release ESPN sent out a week before the firings.

With the draft i thought ESPN would wait a week unless they wanted to minimise the damage by having everyone talk about the draft. waiting for the NBA finals but that might not of been as easy to bury the story.

Didnt McHenry also get fired, because she was with the Cardinals for the draft.

There was no good way to handle this from ESPN and they still made it worse than it should.

I like Ed i hope NFLn or somewhere good.

gutshot

Im kinda surprised Jaws lasted this long after exiting the MNF booth. other than his SC segments and weekly 5mins on PTI i didnt see him.

Has Hoge been back since he left for cancer treatment again?

Him and Hoge were both on the NFL Matchup show, which is the best analysis show ESPN has ever done. I'm guessing that show will now be canceled. Thankfully, the release of All-22 footage to the public has now made game tape analysis pretty plentiful across the internet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What I never understood about Jaws is he was based out of NFL Films?

Like did he work for NFL Films then just side gig on ESPN these days or what?

This was bound to happen, and as someone who is not a sports fan, I love this story. ESPN and sports rights fee are ridiculously bloated, so it was only a matter of the time until the bubble burst.

I will say this. Problem is not just cord-cutting. To me, the bigger problem is cord-shaving, which barely receives coverage by the media. Many starter cable and satellite bundles now don't include ESPN. My GPA, for example, package on Dish does not even include ESPN.

ESPN and sports rights fee are ridiculously bloated, so it was only a matter of the time until the bubble burst.
Is it really though? ESPN is only able to charge that much for carriage rates because so many people demand it on their cable packages. Go back to that carriage rate card posted near the beginning of the thread and compare ESPN to just the top 10 non-sports networks that you would expect to be on basic cable (I took TNT, Disney, Fox News, USA, CNN/HLN, TBS, Nick, FX, MTV, and CNBC.) Yeah, it's dated so the exact amounts are going to vary, but back then it was only $4.08 for ESPN vs $5.48 for those others (the entire ESPN family of channels is less then that at $5.29.)

Cable is like insurance in that it spreads costs out. ESPN is a terrible deal for those who don't watch sports, just like 150 channels of reality and home renovation shows are to those that do.

There were reports earlier in the thread that Ryen Russillo was having his role reduced. Just an update, but Russillo specifically denied those reports yesterday (while also stating he actually thought for weeks that he would be gone), flat out stating that they were sourced from a jilted agency. He was fairly adamant about that fact. (He touched upon the subject while discussing the departure of Danny Kannell.)

Edit: http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/ryen-russillo-false-report-espn-future.html

“There is one other little thing that I want to add, and that is that there was a report that I was going to have a reduced role, which meant a lot of people thought I had begged for my job back, and that I offered up less money to come back. It’s not even remotely true. I’m going to be working more, and I’m still under contract through next summer. It was planted by an agent who decides to keep messing with me, because they’re all hurt about the fact that I left them. And the thing is, I have told the nicest version of our relationship as far as my story goes with this agency. And I can only tell you just to get out of my way, and stop messing with me, because you’re going to lose, and that’s it.”

Linkura

So wtf is ESPN's plan for coverage after firing so many people? More reruns? If I sound clueless, it's because I'm legitimately asking as I don't watch ESPN.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. He was always good. Also still has the GOAT ESPN commercial.

gutshot

What I never understood about Jaws is he was based out of NFL Films?

Like did he work for NFL Films then just side gig on ESPN these days or what?

No, he just lives close to the NFL Films headquarters in Mount Laurel, NJ so that's the studio he ends up broadcasting from most of the time.

Wonder if this is a slow burn from the last round, or if more layoffs are happening today.

Thinking this...haven't heard new rumors of anything else lately, although us technology peons in the sub-basement are always the last to hear things, so who knows :p. In fact this is where I heard the news first for Clayton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom