• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethics to the air waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsomega

I am currently sick of the radio stations in Miami. We have them left and right and they've all certainly have fallen down in the gutter. Now I just stick to my iPod mini, or if I have to have the radio I listen to some classic 80's and 90's station that only play music and rarely talk. Not to mention I can't even stand the damn songs they play over and over, the hyped up sampled rehash crap the jockeys swear by as the greatest "new" thing ever. The radio jockeys are even worse now. Maybe it is just me, but the jockeys just give me the same notion of the store clerks from EB shops that you swear were bought out by MS to only see MS products rave about them, never mind that fact that some of them don't own XBOX or play videogames in general. (Funny story at a local EB, but that can wait.) Either way, a friend passed along this article that is an interesting read. I've never seen anything like it posted here but anyway, I'll share with you guys.

http://www.radiodiversity.com/radioethics.html

Closely interacting with programmers in the format as I do, I have become alarmed at the apparent lack of ethical regard by many young programmers in their decision-making process. Too many PDs are oblivious to the wrongness of taking junkets for adds and TV sets for rotation increases. It seems these young programmers are being given no guidance as to what is inherently right or wrong. Many seem genuinely unaware, having come into radio in a full-blown era of the Tuesday auction.

This column has been waiting to be written for some time. It's a touchy subject, and I wrestled with how I should address it without sounding heavy-handed. While this column remains a wonderful forum for expression, it isn't a license to preach -- and I know it. Having programmed in Top 5 markets and done label promotion, I am also far from naive regarding the ways of the world.

I liked it. Thought it was a nice read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom