• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (3DS) Review Thread

Kazerei

Banned
Niche Gamer: 9.5/10
The most important (and lauded) feature of an Etrian Odyssey title is its hardcore, dungeon-crawling gameplay. Thankfully, Untold 2 is no slouch in this regard, bringing forth another solid title to stand alongside Persona Q and Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl on the 3DS’ roster. Combat is difficult and requires the player to think before acting. Bosses and FOEs are as tough as ever, and the map system makes a triumphant comeback, rewarding diligent players while also adding some nice tools to utilize. Fans of the series will enjoy the improved formula, while newcomers will have an easy time accessing this title as well, due to the optional Picnic Mode and auto-map features.
A competent story, engrossing and deep gameplay, lovely artwork/graphics, and a divine soundtrack are a few things to look forward to when purchasing this game.

Gaming Union: 9/10
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold takes the criticisms of the original game to heart and delivers a game that does a much better job of catering to both the new and old wings of the series. It keeps the things newcomers liked like the instant floor jumping after successfully marking the map and adds new features like cooking, but makes the player works in unlocking them instead of handing them out. For veterans, maligned mechanics such as the Grimoire system are reworked and the new features that make things easier can be completely ignored if one wishes.

Tiny Cartridge: Part 1, Part 2
The most refined thing about the Etrian games is without a doubt the way you customize the characters. Character classes are not only interesting to play as and different from what you could find in any other RPG, but also designed to be mixed and matched. Basically, if you think things carefully, you can discover a lot of combos that your party can perform to make your life easier.
After spending over 80 hours beating every boss, exploring every corner the dungeon floors and finding every secret, I can say without a doubt that it’s my favorite entry in the Etrian series. In fact, it’s not only my favorite one, but also what I believe to be THE BEST one.

Gamers Temple: 94%
I mentioned before that this game unseated Etrian Odyssey IV as my favorite in the series. Why? I only mention this to drive the point home, but it was the story. Etrian Odyssey IV was the first EO game I'd played where the narrative actually mattered, so seeing the change elevated the whole game. But here, with Etrian Odyssey Untold 2, we see the series take the next real step, into telling a story that not just holds the gameplay together, but inspires it to be something better than a dungeon crawler with some actual named characters.

Nintendo World Report: 9/10
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2, the latest in the dungeon-crawling series from Atlus, sank its hooks into me deep and quickly climbed to the top tier of my 3DS Activity Log. I beat the game, beat a bunch of post-game content, completed almost all of the quests, prepared all of the recipes, drew all of the maps, and eventually ran around killing low-tier mini-boss characters just for chuckles. Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 might be my favorite game on the system.

Nintendo Life: 9/10
Both a wonderful upgrade to the original Etrian Odyssey 2 and an impressive improvement on Etrian Odyssey Untold, Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight is a dungeon-crawling delight. With satisfying combat, endless customization, and beautiful labyrinths that are as fun to map out as they are to explore, this is a joyously engrossing adventure - and a truly accessible difficulty setting and user-friendly interface make it the easiest Etrian to dive into yet. If you've played other Etrian Odysseys and are looking for more, you'll have a blast here, and if this is your first time journeying into Yggdrasil, prepare to be hooked - just make sure to leave some breadcrumbs to find your way back.

Digital Chumps: 9/10
It’s a very addictive formula (one whose core concepts have been popularized by smash hits such as Monster Hunter), but it also lends itself well to moderate-length play sessions on a nightly basis. It’s tempting just before bedtime to venture out into the Labyrinth, take care of a few missions, map out some more areas, and then hit the sack. In fact, that’s what I did every single night for nearly two months during this review period. And wouldn’t you know it, the very atmosphere and wonderment surrounding the game’s environments was more than enough to keep me enthusiastically progressing the entire way.

ZTGD: 9/10
While this is certainly a familiar experience to anyone who has ever played an Etrian game, that’s not to say there’s nothing new on offer.
There’s the restaurant mini-game where the player can unlock recipes to new items on the menu which offer passive benefits that they can carry to the dungeons.
They can invest money in the various areas of the city to expand the population and draw in new customers to the restaurant by advertising desirable items on the menu to the populous which can generate a significant amount of income.
Grimoire stones, slot-able gems which expand a character’s arsenal of skills also makes a return in a big way as there’s a greater variety on offer and now they can even be traded/recycled for other gems.
Lastly, there’s the “Force” system in combat which can be used enhance and add various effects to skills. The player is also given an option to “Break” the force gauge by unleashing an incredibly powerful move which leads to a lot of epic moments during the tougher boss encounters.

God is a Geek: 9/10
I will go so far as to say that the Fafnir Knight is one of the most accessible first person dungeon crawlers, and does a great job of teaching you things. The new Picnic difficulty setting doesn’t hand things to you on a platter, but rather makes the game less daunting for newcomers. You get to restart a battle if you die as many times as you want but still need to solve FOE puzzles and figure out how to progress into the higher stratums. You also take less damage from hazards and some FOEs in later stratums. Normal difficulty offers a good enough challenge and Expert will make you cry. I tried Expert mode for a full stratum and do not wish to speak of it ever again.

HardcoreGamer: 4.5/5
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight continues the trend of quality dungeon-crawling conventions. The Story Mode is a cut above Millennium Girl‘s, with characters and a story that are far more developed, the combat and customization remains engrossing and deep, and the production values are impressive. This is a DRPG that can be played and enjoyed by veterans, thanks to Classic Mode, or complete genre newcomers thanks to the more narrative-heavy Story Mode where the level of challenge is far more accessible. Those looking for a new 3DS game to sink at least 100 hours into should buy The Fafnir Knight; it’s the definitive Etrian Odyssey game.

Cheat Code Central: 4.5/5
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight is a huge game. It's the game to point to when asked what a remake should be. The amount of improved and original content added to the title is extraordinary. It not only enhances the experience for everyone who's coming back to it, but opens it up to people who may have been afraid to play it until now.

Game Revolution: 4.5/5
The whole experience feels tough, but it never feels unfair. The balance of available attacks and general mannerisms of each baddie, no matter its strength or level, is usually enough to out-think the fight, which might lead to a few being predictable, but generally left me feeling like I’ve actually accomplished something.
If you can balance your adequate but not overwhelming amount of TP to take down the super-tough foes, while still having something left over as you stagger back to the stairway to get back to town, you’ll be just fine.

Hey Poor Player: 4.5/5
Offering an entirely new story mode to drive the dungeon-delving action forward, along with fresh animated cutscenes and a sweeping orchestral soundtrack, this overhauled expedition into the depths of the labyrinth feels like an entirely new game, giving seasoned adventurers another reason to explore the haunting Ginnungagap Ruins and the monster-infested forests of High Lagaard all over again.

Nintendo Everything: (no score)
When it comes down to it, Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is an artistically beautiful adventure that will keep JRPG fans busy for quite a while. However, this does not mean it is recommended for all JRPG enthusiasts. The game is designed for passionate fans who enjoy a challenge and enjoy quest heavy adventures.

Nintendojo: B
Ultimately, Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight is another satisfying dungeon crawler from Atlus, though whether it is worth exploring depends on your standing with the series. Fans who’d like to experience a traditional Etrian Odyssey game would be better served starting with Etrian Odyssey IV, as it offers the most compelling adventure of any main installment. However, if you’ve been put off by the series’ lack of narrative, the Story mode in Fafnir Knight does a nice job of pushing the adventure forward without diluting the experience. It’s true the Etrian Odyssey series may still be an acquired taste for most gamers, but thanks to Fafnir Knight’s stronger tale and adjustable difficulty, Atlus has done an admirable job of making it more palatable to a wider audience.

Game Informer: 8/10
The Etrian Odyssey franchise just keeps getting better in terms of its game systems and accessibility. The series is still the punishing, map-drawing dungeon crawler that the hardcore RPG audience loves, but a lot of frustrating and archaic elements have faded, such as endless backtracking between floors and unreasonable difficulty levels.
I don't have much to knock about The Fafnir Knight beyond some tedious points and the uninspiried story and characters. In fact, as soon as I opened up cooking and town development, I found myself in an engaging, hard-to-put-down gameplay loop.

RPG Site: 8/10
The Fafnir Knight is another solid Etrian Odyssey title, with plenty of new content and enhancements to delight those that played the original Etrian Odyssey II. Whether players want to experience a more fleshed out story, or delve right into Classic mode on the hardest difficulty, there’s plenty here to keep dungeon crawler fans busy until the next Etrian Odyssey title.

Gaming Nexus: 8/10
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight isn’t doing anything to reinvent the series, but it continues to build upon a strong foundation and make marked improvements where necessary and changes the formula in ways that are just new and interesting enough to keep players interested. It’s not going to win any awards for originality, but it delivers exactly what fans of the series are going to expect and it is going to welcome newcomers to the series.

GameSpot: 7/10
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 has some flaws, certainly--the additions to the formula make it more accessible but don't ultimately enhance the game. On the other hand, it looks great, it retains the traditional Etrian Odyssey experience in Classic mode, and you still feel empowered after defeating a challenging FOE with only a sliver of health to your name. It's great to have a modern, reimagined version of the original Etrian Odyssey 2, but don't expect Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 to deliver a revolutionary experience if you've crawled through this dungeon before.

Azuardo

Cubed3: 8/10
Atlus doesn't reinvent the Etrian Odyssey wheel with 2 Untold, but it does build on what made the first release so much fun, without making any readily apparent sacrifices. It features the original Etrian Odyssey 2, as well as a new story-based campaign, successfully separating itself from both the first Untold and the original sequel. While The Fafnir Knight could benefit from more inspired UI elements (especially in building the city and managing the restaurant) and maybe a little more life regarding the characters and NPCs, it's clear that this is a solid entry in a unique RPG franchise, and fans and newcomers alike are going to have a lot of fun with it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Loved it the first time around. Loved the demo. Ready to keep ascending. Let's go, come out already.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Whoa, fizzled out on Untold 1 near the end due to many design issues and thought this was an immediate pass after hearing the Grimoire system return, but might consider now after all that praise.

Still need Persona Q though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like the characters but hate the classes of the story mode party. The only ones I'd use if given the choice would be the Sovereign and the Protector.

Nachos

Eh, I think I'll pass on it. Scores don't look that great. It really needs a third-person view, and turn-based games are so antiquated nowadays.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sounds great. I still haven't beaten EOIV or PQ yet or even started EOU though, so the usual Europe delay won't be too much of an issue.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Great reviews. I'll definitely pick this up... Eventually.

I'm only like 2 hours into the first Untold :p

Hugstable

Banned
Great scores! Go EO! Gonna be picking it up even though I might not play it for a bit, still need to play EO3 that I got like 2 months ago >_>

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I like the characters but hate the classes of the story mode party. The only ones I'd use if given the choice would be the Sovereign and the Protector.

You can change the character's classes

spiritfox

Is this a good place to start with EO? No copies of EO IV where I am.

Since you cannot find EO4, the Untold games are decent alternatives. They are all standalone stories so you can pick up anywhere. Millennium Girl had problems, but is still a good game. Play Classic for the authentic EO experience.

Totakeke

Better scores than expected. Definitely curious about how well written the story and characters are. Can't stand another rpg with one dimensional characters.

Teknoman

Eh, I think I'll pass on it. Scores don't look that great. It really needs a third-person view, and turn-based games are so antiquated nowadays.

Almost got me. Almost.

On a serious note, I think i'd just play classic mode with these since I like making characters in Etrian.

spiritfox

Better scores than expected. Definitely curious about how well written the story and characters are. Can't stand another rpg with one dimensional characters.

There's a demo of the story mode up if you want to check it out. The characters are... pretty trope-y.

Classic mode is great though. Fufilling all my wishes right now.

Nachos

There's a demo of the story mode up if you want to check it out. The characters are... pretty trope-y.
They are, but they're also a lot more enjoyable and clearly have motivations for being involved in the story, unlike in Untold 1, where Raquna, Arthur, and Simon were basically along for the ride.

fates

Holding out on it until it drops a few dollars. I feel awful for doing it but the Atlus tax rubs me the wrong way ;_;

They might have me on Odin Sphere, though. Dammit Atlus.

Absolutely loved the demo. Did 100% completion on Untold 1 and beat the main quest in EOIV. I'm been playing through a lot of games recently, so I don't know if I need to be there day one.

But I do know that I will have tons of fun whenever I get it to it.

Kazerei

Banned
Is this a good place to start with EO? No copies of EO IV where I am.

Many of the reviews describe EO2U as the most accessible and newcomer-friendly EO yet, thanks to all the little refinements that are added to each successive entry. So this definitely sounds like a good place to start.

Boogiepop

Nice, looking good. Anyone know if the game is crippled in Story and/or Classic this time around. Like how in the first Untold, in the Story mode
it like skipped the whole 6th Stratum and jammed the true final boss in as a super dumbed down form
, while in Classic apparently
you didn't get the new areas added, or so I recall hearing?

Still trying to decide if I want to go story or not on this one...

Totakeke

Classic mode is great though. Fufilling all my wishes right now.

Good idea, thanks for reminding me about the demo.

Classic mode is great, but I've been EO'ed out for a while.

Nachos

Nice, looking good. Anyone know if the game is crippled in Story and/or Classic this time around. Like how in the first Untold, in the Story mode
it like skipped the whole 6th Stratum and jammed the true final boss in as a super dumbed down form

The only things you'll miss out in classic mode is the Fafnir class, character-specific dialogue, and the medal for completing story mode if you don't start new game+ afterwards. Story mode also misses out on being able to use the beast class permanently and the classic mode medal, but other than those differences, the two modes are identical.

spiritfox

The only thing missing in Classic mode is Fafnir. All the rest of the content can be accessed someway or another.

Edit: damn you Nachos!!!!

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Will get it...eventually. Too many games (including other EOs), not much money to spare, the temporarily-free DLC doesn't make up for Atlus tax.

Those are some really good scores... I enjoyed the demo a lot. I wish they put Fafnir in classic mode. It seemed like a really solid class.

I hope we get news on EO five soon!

rhandino

Banned
what's the dlc situation with this game? if it's too many or pay to win dlc i'd rather wait until bomba.
Releasing Aug. 4
Yggdrasil Veteran: While there will be new portraits for each class in EO2U, the classic portraits from the original Etrian Odyssey will return as FreeLC for veterans that want to give their party a retro look. (Permanently free.)
Highlander’s Return: The Protagonist’s class from EOU makes a triumphant return in EO2U! This class focuses on sacrificing portions of their health to obliterate enemies and buff party members. Highlander Grimoire stones and the class is available in Story mode as well! (Free through Aug. 10, then 99 cents/CA$1.49 thereafter.)
Wanted: Golden Sprout: An easy quest to find the Golden Sprout, which gives players a lot of En when they turn the quest in. Plus, Regina at the cafe can turn this into a dish that raises the party’s chances of getting premium Grimoire stones. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
Hidden Hot Springs!:There’s rumors of a secret hot spring inside the snow-covered 3rd Stratum! Can you find the hot springs and dig them up? As an added bonus, completing the quest in Story Mode will unlock special portraits for Arianna and Chloe! (Free through Aug. 10, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)

Releasing Aug. 11
Ultimate Feathered Warrior: Take on the ultimate feathered warrior — a giant chicken — in this boss challenge! You can fight the beast with the entire party, or alone by yourself. How you approach it changes the rewards it gives out! (Free through Aug. 17, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)
Winter’s Harbinger: There’s a mysterious creature that’s causing the temperatures to drop in the 4th Stratum… Track it down and take it out! (Free through Aug. 17, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)
Wanted: Lucky Bud: Set out on a quest to find the Lucky Bud, which Regina can use to make a tea that vastly improves your material gathering rate. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)

Releasing Aug. 18
Thunder Queen’s Legacy: Take on the mighty Thunder Queen that resides in the 2nd Stratum! That is, if you can even get close enough to fight her. (Free until Aug. 24, $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter.)
The Eldritch Hound: Travel deep into the Labyrinths to retrieve a piece of a magical artifact! Once you do however, can you return it to its rightful place while escaping the pursuit of a fearsome beast? ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
Wanted: Blessed Clover: Set out on a quest to find the Blessed Clover, which Regina can use to make a tea that drastically the EXP earned by your Guild. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)

Releasing Aug. 25
Treasures Untold: Use your newly formed party in EO2U to take on a wave of bosses from the original Etrian Odyssey Untold! ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
The Original Sin: Not for the faint of heart, this legendary boss demands that you bring you best to take it down! Protip: If your party isn’t all level 99, you aren’t the least bit prepared… (Free until Aug. 31, $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter.)

Source

Boogiepop

The only things you'll miss out in classic mode is the Fafnir class, character-specific dialogue, and the medal for completing story mode if you don't start new game+ afterwards. Story mode also misses out on being able to use the beast class permanently and the classic mode medal, but other than those differences, the two modes are identical.

The only thing missing in Classic mode is Fafnir. All the rest of the content can be accessed someway or another.

Edit: damn you Nachos!!!!

Awesome, thanks guys! Sounds like they handled it WAY better here than in the first Untold. Thinking I may try Story mode again, if only to keep things feeling as fresh as possible. At the very least, based on the original game, we shouldn't end up the bizarre situation of the first Untold where the story of Story mode screwed things up and ended up worse than that of Classic.

Boogiepop

Releasing Aug. 4
Yggdrasil Veteran: While there will be new portraits for each class in EO2U, the classic portraits from the original Etrian Odyssey will return as FreeLC for veterans that want to give their party a retro look. (Permanently free.)
Highlander’s Return: The Protagonist’s class from EOU makes a triumphant return in EO2U! This class focuses on sacrificing portions of their health to obliterate enemies and buff party members. Highlander Grimoire stones and the class is available in Story mode as well! (Free through Aug. 10, then 99 cents/CA$1.49 thereafter.)
Wanted: Golden Sprout: An easy quest to find the Golden Sprout, which gives players a lot of En when they turn the quest in. Plus, Regina at the cafe can turn this into a dish that raises the party’s chances of getting premium Grimoire stones. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
Hidden Hot Springs!:There’s rumors of a secret hot spring inside the snow-covered 3rd Stratum! Can you find the hot springs and dig them up? As an added bonus, completing the quest in Story Mode will unlock special portraits for Arianna and Chloe! (Free through Aug. 10, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)

Releasing Aug. 11
Ultimate Feathered Warrior: Take on the ultimate feathered warrior — a giant chicken — in this boss challenge! You can fight the beast with the entire party, or alone by yourself. How you approach it changes the rewards it gives out! (Free through Aug. 17, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)
Winter’s Harbinger: There’s a mysterious creature that’s causing the temperatures to drop in the 4th Stratum… Track it down and take it out! (Free through Aug. 17, then $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter.)
Wanted: Lucky Bud: Set out on a quest to find the Lucky Bud, which Regina can use to make a tea that vastly improves your material gathering rate. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)

Releasing Aug. 18
Thunder Queen’s Legacy: Take on the mighty Thunder Queen that resides in the 2nd Stratum! That is, if you can even get close enough to fight her. (Free until Aug. 24, $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter.)
The Eldritch Hound: Travel deep into the Labyrinths to retrieve a piece of a magical artifact! Once you do however, can you return it to its rightful place while escaping the pursuit of a fearsome beast? ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
Wanted: Blessed Clover: Set out on a quest to find the Blessed Clover, which Regina can use to make a tea that drastically the EXP earned by your Guild. ($1.99/CA$2.49.)

Releasing Aug. 25
Treasures Untold: Use your newly formed party in EO2U to take on a wave of bosses from the original Etrian Odyssey Untold! ($1.99/CA$2.49.)
The Original Sin: Not for the faint of heart, this legendary boss demands that you bring you best to take it down! Protip: If your party isn’t all level 99, you aren’t the least bit prepared… (Free until Aug. 31, $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter.)

Source

Oh nice, it looks like almost all the stuff that's actually worthwhile/not just pay-to-win junk is free for people buying right away! That's a definite plus and actually pretty cool, makes me feel better about jumping on this right away.

vall03

This might be weird but I'm one of the few people who always buy these EXP/Money DLCs and I never felt that they're Pay-to-win, in fact, in terms of difficulty, the games are still the same. The DLCs just makes the grind a bit easier but not the actual gameplay. I remember buying the DLCs for FE:A and SMTIV, then recently on Devil Survivor 2 and I still get trashed and lose. I don't know but maybe its just me who's not bother by all of these stuff.

Anyway, since I have some free time today and the game is still not released, might as well read all of these reviews and get more hyped.

Top Bottom