• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (3DS) Review Thread

Seems like an EO game. I'm shocked. DLC seems like utter trash and I really hope it doesn't continue. I don't like this trend in these Atlus 3DS games.
Everyone make sure to download the cute highlander girl
/boy
, they're free for the first week.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This might be weird but I'm one of the few people who always buy these EXP/Money DLCs and I never felt that they're Pay-to-win, in fact, in terms of difficulty, the games are still the same. The DLCs just makes the grind a bit easier but not the actual gameplay. I remember buying the DLCs for FE:A and SMTIV, then recently on Devil Survivor 2 and I still get trashed and lose. I don't know but maybe its just me who's not bother by all of these stuff.

Anyway, since I have some free time today and the game is still not released, might as well read all of these reviews and get more hyped.

Or play the demo! It transfers over to the full game and gives you 4 main floors plus another one, there is no reason to not be playing this game right now (Other than worse sound)

vall03

Or play the demo! It transfers over to the full game and gives you 4 main floors plus another one, there is no reason to not be playing this game right now (Other than worse sound)

Nah, I'm actually kinda sick of the demo since I have nothing to do there anymore. Already beat all the FOEs as well. My problem right now is whether to continue Story mode or create a new Classic mode save.

Zaventem

Great review scores! which site do you think gives the best written reviews for these games? i feel like reading it.

Vitacat

Nice reviews. Gotta love Etrian. Just preordered this game!

Best of all, it was only $35 thanks to GCU and a $5 reward.

RpgN

How do you access the DLC in the game? Can you just download them without playing? I ask because I still have at least Untold 1 to play XD

ohlawd

gonna pass on this. scores aren't high enough

besides, Rare Replay comes out on the same day and that collection has so much content I feel like a thief for buying it. all this DLC that's obviously been cut from the base EO2U game is just lol. can't support it

buying both

and all of EO2U's DLC

RpgN

In game, so you have to own the game.

You just have to download it in the main menu. Don't have to start a game or anything.

Awesome. Thanks guys. It goes without saying that I'll be getting the game close to release. It's not like physical copies of EO games get cheaper.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll get the same DLC deals here in EU. Last time I checked, we still don't have a specific release date besides that it's coming.

Hyoukokun

Preordered this from Crunchyroll (they had a 'get a free bonus game' deal). I hope they ship quickly, it's going to be rough waiting for the game when folks already have it in their hands. I enjoyed the demo a ton.

sleepiestpoet

Neo Member
TinyCartridge put up the second part of a writeup on the game today. They don't have a review score but Francesco Dagostino, who's played all the other games, is super positive about EOU2 and calls it his favorite of the series. First Half
Second Half

His description of how the new cooking mechanic and changed grimoire system works with the other game mechanics has me pretty stoked

Preordered this from Crunchyroll (they had a 'get a free bonus game' deal). I hope they ship quickly, it's going to be rough waiting for the game when folks already have it in their hands. I enjoyed the demo a ton.

CR's free game deal has always been shovel ware. I would use Best Buy's GCU instead.

I have already spent about a dozen hours in the demo.

No seriously, I'm just farming money and stuff currently. Etrian Odyssey is my jam and I love to see that the reviews agree.

Now let's all buy this so we can get Etrian Odyssey V and Etrian Odyssey Untold 3 next year.

Although, next year is Final Fantasy Explorers, Disney Magical World 2, Fire Emblem Fates, and Bravely Second. That's not even counting any surprises. So, yeah.. totally gonna be a fantastic 2016 too.

jrcbandit

Forgot this was coming out, now I'm definitely interested. I was thinking there was absolutely nothing coming out in August game wise until the 25th, but then this review thread popped up.

KarmaCow

Amazon is saying the game wont arrive until a week after release. It would be pretty annoying to miss that DLC over late shipping. :(

Santar

I always find it a little funny when these review threads start off with the positive reviews from "insert random site you've never heard of here".
Why not start with the more well known sites and go from there?
If you look hard enough you'll always find somebody who loves anything.

Anyways, hope the game is good, I've never actually played any of the games in the series, they've always looked so static to me. Like the world felt so lifeless.

I always find it a little funny when these review threads start off with the positive reviews from "insert random site you've never heard of here".
Why not start with the more well known sites and go from there?
If you look hard enough you'll always find somebody who loves anything.

Anyways, hope the game is good, I've never actually played any of the games in the series, they've always looked so static to me. Like the world felt so lifeless.

Ironically, one of the cool parts of EO is how alive everything feels thanks to how atmospheric they are visually and music wise. The "dynamic portraits" that every character has also help a ton.

...it's the best EO to date however. :)

It would be amazing if somehow the remake of the black sheep of the series ends up being the best game.

Rutger

Banned
It's great to see this get good reviews. Though I wouldn't pass up an EO game anyways, I love seeing this series get praise.

I finally started the demo and I already feel I'll be enjoying this a lot more than EOU. The changes from the last Untold game, as well as from the original EOII all look good so far. I think I may even try story mode this time, I'm interested in checking out the Fafnir Knight class and I also like all the other story mode classes, plus the characters look somewhat more interesting than EOU's.

RpgN

We actually do have a release date. February 12th 2016.

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether it was a placeholder release date. For some odd reason it is not being sold by Amazon Germany or on their data base yet :/ What's up with that?

If Persona Q and SMT4 are any indication (though the latter wasn't published by NISA over here), they should be the same.

Good news then.

Now let's all buy this so we can get Etrian Odyssey V and Etrian Odyssey Untold 3 next year.

Amen.

I hope we get a remake of the third game to complete the collection.

Each EO game is self contained barring some nods to other games.

And even with the increased story focus, it's not really complex if Untold 1 was any indication.

Ok, so the "2" at the end works like final fantasy games?

Really interested in getting this game.

Linkark07

Banned
Seems like an EO game. I'm shocked. DLC seems like utter trash and I really hope it doesn't continue. I don't like this trend in these Atlus 3DS games.
Everyone make sure to download the cute highlander girl
/boy
, they're free for the first week.

Can I still download them without buying the game? Know I can do that on PSN but don't have the slightest idea if that is possible on 3DS Eshop.

RpgN

Etrian Mystery Dungeon has been pre-ordered. For EO2U I'm waiting to sort things out before ordering. Since EMD is a spin-off I might actually play this day 1 *Excited*.

DrTeflon

I don't know what is GAF rules regarding linking your own review, but I did review it on hu3br.com (yes, some random unknown webiste like someone mentioned before, lol) and gave it a 9/10.

I wasnt a big fan of its story mode characters (liked the ones on Etrian Odyssey Untold more), but other than that, really great stuff. Small improvements on pretty much every aspect made me enjoy playing it much more than I expected to.

PS: Not a EO expert, but I do like them a lot

Mawarup

Neo Member
Awesome to see that EOU2 is doing great and hopefully the DLC mess doesn't continue onward with the series. Not sure if I wanted to play this series again at the moment since I got burned out while playing PQ and decided to rush to beat it as soon as possible. That was 8 months ago. Am I ready to play these games again? Then again I beat EOIV about 2 months before PQ so that probably made me not want to touch that series for a bit...I did DL the demo a messed around for it a bit.

fates

I caved and ordered it. I hate myself for doing it though because I really don't like the Atlus tax :|

Just went through some BS with amazon over this game.
I ordered it.
They canceled.
I re ordered
They canceled.
I called, asked wtf was up.
They apologized and re placed the order.
Then i see the ship date is 2 weeks post release yet im a prime member.
I call back and ask politely why its so late as prime is always day 1.
Turns out my card was involved with some shenanigans not caused by me and card was raising flags.
A bank phone call later and 2 more to amazon and now all is good.
Christ.

Thread has been kinda quiet with the game dropping tomorrow.

Yesterday I finished up the demo story-wise. Clocked in at 9 or so hours of playtime. I'm definitely picking this one up! Atlus really knows how to get those hooks in with these demos that transfer over to the full game.

I have to say I quite like all of the characters so far. Really there are only a few things that put me off like the limited dialogue that the shop and the Inn have. "Alright, be careful!" every single time you stay at the inn gets rather annoying considering how much you'll be using it. I might have to turn the dialogue off at some point, but I'd hate to miss anything as I like the VO for the main cast. Maybe the dialogue will be more varied in the full game?

In other BIG Etrian Odyssey news for my life...

I must have picked up the original EO in like 2008-2009ish and I played it up until BF20 where I got completely stuck. I've been dealing with this particular floor on and off for a very long time! Since then I've put a lot of time into EOIV and EOU and kinda always had a hole in my heart for not finishing the one game that made me love the series.

Last night I gave it another shot and kinda realized I could defeat all the required FOEs before taking on the boss and then go down to the Geomagnetic Pole to save allowing me to only face the boss. WHEW! A big oversight on my side as I had previously gone to town to heal and had all of the FOEs respawn leading to me thinking it all had to be done in one blow or in a limited time.

I'm now in the 5th stratum! If the art book from preordering EOIII didn't spoil this for me I would have been pretty shocked. Onward and downward! Love Atlus and love EO!

I have this coming in tomorrow from Amazon, decided to toss gift credit I had lying around at it. First EO I'm picking up physical since EOIII, as I only got around to EOU and the excellent EOIV in belated cheap dl form. Finally time to swap out MH4U and give it a rest.

Top Bottom