• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection is $79.99

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection is $79.99​

200w.gif

Last edited:

cireza

I will stick to my 3DS games thanks.

The trailer demonstrated quite well why it will not be comfortable to play/look at anyway. These games were created with a separate touch screen + pencil in mind. Good luck drawing maps and walls with the joystick or your finger.

I mean look at this :

Etrian-Odyssey-Origins-Collection_2023_02-08-23_001-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
I will stick to my 3DS games thanks.

The trailer demonstrated quite well why it will not be comfortable to play/look at anyway. These games were created with a separate touch screen + pencil in mind. Good luck drawing maps and walls with the joystick or your finger.

I mean look at this :

Etrian-Odyssey-Origins-Collection_2023_02-08-23_001-1024x576.jpg

Doesn't look much different from a JRPG dungeon crawler set-up from the 80s and early 90s

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Last edited:

cireza

Looks like the individual games will be $39.99 each

Buy Untold 1 or 2 on 3DS for that price (still pretty easy to find new). You get a nice physical game and a much better experience.

These new versions don't even have the Untold scenario if I understood correctly... What a fucking joke.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Buy Untold 1 or 2 on 3DS for that price (still pretty easy to find new). You get a nice physical game and a much better experience.

These new versions don't even have the Untold scenario if I understood correctly... What a fucking joke.

It wasn't a bad RPG on DS, but shiiiiiiiiiit its not $80 good lol

Chukhopops

I was hyped for those remakes (even though EO4 is the best one) but those prices are ridiculous. 20 or bust.

People didn’t see any issue with the price increases for next gen games because they could afford them… well the slope sure got slippery really fast. The next step is DLC price increase I guess.
This (these?) Were easily the worst looking games in the whole direct. Good luck atlus, youre gonna need it.
They seem to have redone most of the sprite work manually, not through an upscale or AI filter. Plus nobody plays a dungeon crawler for the graphics.

cireza

Are they really though? I tried multiple of these, just because it was novel to draw the maps. But man, the difficulty is all over the place and it's not even that fun.
They are good games without a doubt, but they are for people who want to invest a lot of time. They go back to some very old roots of JRPGs, where the excitement came from being able to explore a bit further in each dungeon, discovering new things, backtracking to prepare for a new expedition. You had to carefully plan everything. On top of this, you have meaningful choices on how to tackle things and thus build a strategy. These were the fundamentals of JRPGs 30 years ago and they are almost nowhere to be found nowadays.

Technically speaking, a game like Phantasy Star II (1989) has the exact same gameplay loop : very difficult, overwhelming dungeons, uncovering them bit by bit, choosing which character in the team depending on strengths and weaknesses, and choosing which weapon you buy. These are essential aspects that can make JRPGs a fantastic experience, but they have all be streamlined with time : linear dungeons that you go through in one setting, few/no choices in the characters you have or how they evolve, buying all armor and weapons available at once when you enter a new city and none changing drastically anything. Brain Dead JRPGs.

Anybody who plays Etrian and other games in the genre (7th Dragon, VFD is excellent, Strange Journey) in the same way you play a modern JRPG is going to be disappointed because there is no "WOW" factor and progression is not assisted. These old RPGs actually managed to give meaning to every encounter, because the money gained was going to help buy that specific weapon. Or having to backtrack and visit a dungeon in several expeditions, with the decision factor that comes with it (where should I explore next ? do I take the risk of going a little bit further ? etc...). Which character should I pick or which skill should I invest my hard earned skill points in ?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They are good games without a doubt, but they are for people who want to invest a lot of time. They go back to some very old roots of JRPGs, where the excitement came from being able to explore a bit further in each dungeon, discovering new things, backtracking to prepare for a new expedition. You had to carefully plan everything. On top of this, you have meaningful choices on how to tackle things and thus build a strategy. These were the fundamentals of JRPGs 30 years ago and they are almost nowhere to be found nowadays.

Technically speaking, a game like Phantasy Star II (1989) has the exact same gameplay loop : very difficult, overwhelming dungeons, uncovering them bit by bit, choosing which character in the team depending on strengths and weaknesses, and choosing which weapon you buy. These are essential aspects that can make JRPGs a fantastic experience, but they have all be streamlined with time : linear dungeons that you go through in one setting, few/no choices in the characters you have or how they evolve, buying all armor and weapons available at once when you enter a new city and none changing drastically anything. Brain Dead JRPGs.

Anybody who plays Etrian and other games in the genre (7th Dragon, VFD is excellent, Strange Journey) in the same way you play a modern JRPG is going to be disappointed because there is no "WOW" factor and progression is not assisted. These old RPGs actually managed to give meaning to every encounter, because the money gained was going to help buy that specific weapon. Or having to backtrack and visit a dungeon in several expeditions, with the decision factor that comes with it (where should I explore next ? do I take the risk of going a little bit further ? etc...)
Interesting. I thought 7th Dragon was great (OST is god tier). I liked the more recent Wizardry games as well. I'm not hugely into super old school first person dungeon crawlers, but I get the appeal on some level. I just think there's got to be better versions of it than these. But the series obviously has fans; just not for me I guess.

MrA

I would be ok with a deluxe physical edition for 80, not touching them like this though
Fortunately atlus games go on sale deeply enough that I will get them eventually

Day 1 for me but the damn price...... i'm gonna hold off for a while until massive sales one day.

Checked on eshop digital games it's $40 for each title but i still want the physical version though.

Gobjuduck

Banned
just get EO3, its the best one.

Or wait for EO4 an even better one.

people here buying $70 remakes like last of us, dead space, and re4 should not complain. on the 3ds, you'd have to pay 120 msrp to get these.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I was already kind of pissed about thinking this was a new game, just to be revealed to be a collection, and now this?

Atlus don't want Etrian Odysseu to be mainstream.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I adore these games but they’re tripping. Probably better on 3ds anyway. Need that stylus. Very confused why EO4 gets no love.

Nautilus

Banned
This (these?) Were easily the worst looking games in the whole direct. Good luck atlus, youre gonna need it.
They are DS games, and this was meant to be an easy port job. Fair game so far.

What's beyond stupid is to charge full price for 15 year old games(Same price when they launched, regarding the individual price anyway), with barely any new work done to them. And on top of that, they are probably the least ideal version to play as, given how the map is displayed/used.

This should have been 40 dollars for the collection, and 20 dollars for each game individually.And even then it wouldn't be that great of a price, considering that EO4 is better than all these games tenfold.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I adore these games but they’re tripping. Probably better on 3ds anyway. Need that stylus. Very confused why EO4 gets no love.
Maybe saving for a future collection? 4,5 and Nexus? Then the price would be a bit more ok, considering the latter games are better.

Killer8

Here, I made an improved version of the layout. Should be much more practical, thanks to having only one screen.

8KBbwjJ.jpg

This is a joke right? You can barely see the game now.

The size of the map UI will be about equivalent to the size it was on DS when viewed on the Switch screen. Guarantee there will be zoom options too. In fact you can now see more UI - the top section was previously a thin strip of tiny icons up the side of the lower DS screen.

SCCURUz.png

(DS on right for scale)

You can also use a stylus on the Switch if you really wish.

Esca

Was interested in getting these and I figured the collection would be $40 maybe $50 tops. $80? Lmao fuck off. I won't even bother me. They're till many other great looking games coming out that I don't need to waste time with that.

Barakov

Top Bottom