• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EU] Bloodborne Alpha Test

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Here's a perfect run with twin warped blades. The guys is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqN9c1kMTWk#t=57

I just love the Gothic setting. February can't come soon enough.

So you can just shoot the boss in the face whenever and eventually it staggers him?

I guess I'll mention it because this guy didn't appear to know about it: You can do a unique combo with the twin blades if you hit L1 repeatedly after your first attack. I don't know if it's more powerful or more useful in any way, but it definitely has unique animations.

SaitoH

So you can just shoot the boss in the face whenever and eventually it staggers him?

I guess I'll mention it because this guy didn't appear to know about it: You can do a unique combo with the twin blades if you hit L1 repeatedly after your first attack. I don't know if it's more powerful or more useful in any way, but it definitely has unique animations.

I believe he's interrupting an attack --which causes the stagger. I messed around with it for a bit and unless I'm missing something, that's how it works for me.

I almost killed the big Axe dude by counters only ... almost.

Love this game.

BumRush

Okay, media blackout time. The game is everything I want...don't need to see more.

p.s. is it actually a STEEPER learning curve than Dark?

p.p.s. plague masks are creepy as fuck

SaitoH

Okay, media blackout time. The game is everything I want...don't need to see more.

p.s. is it actually a STEEPER learning curve than Dark?

p.p.s. plague masks are creepy as fuck

I wouldn't say it's a steeper learning curve then the previous Souls games, but not having a shield is a hard habit to break.

I must have played a different Alpha or different Souls games because I have a hard time understanding sentiments like „Souls combat is fun again“ or „I could never play DS2 again“, as expressed by several posters here. The lack of shields does make a difference but it is not that different that you could enjoy one but not the other (and if you're a good Souls player you know that dodging is much better than blocking anyway, only casuals use their shield all the time. Havel's set, heavy shield always raised, that's how you recognize a filthy Souls casual. :p). This game might as well be called Blood Souls, it's a Souls game through and through and feels way too similar to really justify a different name imo. I also didn't notice any increased speed in the gameplay. I played a few minutes of DS2 after reading the Alpha impressions last night to see if I misremembered my time with that game but no, DS2 even felt a little faster, especially running and dodging. That is probably due to my light character build, but still Bloodborne didn't feel any faster to me.

Agree with this. It amuses me when I see people say they don't like the Souls games, but that Bloodborne interests them. I hate to break it to you, but the combat for the two games is extremely similar. It's no faster than a light armor/weapon build in any of the Souls games. I imagine it will feel different for alot of players though because as you said most players use shields and medium-heavy armor. For anyone who has experience with more agile builds, this game won't feel much different. The dashing will take a bit of getting used to though.

Ferr986

So, what do you think about the balance of the different builds? Watching streams, it felt for me than the twin blade build was kind of weak (very low damage even with the faster attacks), and the hammer quite powerful.

Also, do the evasive attack (0:26) on the Project Beast trailer still in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8KTIeSnzs

Also, I guess the weapon block shown in 1:05 isnt in too.

Zaventem

So, what do you think about the balance of the different builds? Watching streams, it felt for me than the twin blade build was kind of weak (very low damage even with the faster attacks), and the hammer quite powerful.

Also, do the evasive attack (0:26) on the Project Beast trailer still in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8KTIeSnzs

Also, I guess the weapon block shown in 1:05 isnt in too.

The evasive attack with the twinblades are still in. Dunno about the blocking. So far i think it's pretty well done. The hammer is pretty powerful but the startup time makes up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlpQmADeRMk

I remember this guy doing the backstep attack in the video, to lazy to find the time though lol.

So far the axe looks like may favorite. The Axe hits hard but isn't as slow as the hammer and the 2nd change is lengthy as hell. I saw a running poke too so that's cool.

Auctopus

I remember the lead up to DSII. I was wary because Dark Souls had become my GOAT. All the media I'd seen and the press from FROM saying "Oh, don't worry. It's gonna be SUPER hard", I remember thinking "I don't really care about the difficulty, there's so many other things that make up a Souls game." - Anyway, through the whole campaign, I just wasn't entirely on board then about a month from release I hyped myself up and pre-ordered. I did enjoy DSII but there was something that felt off all the time: whether it was the enemy design/level design/movement/story/weapons, I dunno...

I've been sold on this game since Day 1 really but that 10 minutes just instilled me with so much confidence. It's so strange how you can tell it plays like you want it to, you can already see how well the world loops around itself and everything. It seems what I love most about the Souls franchise I can never put my finger on, haha.

Ferr986

The evasive attack with the twinblades are still in. Dunno about the blocking. So far i think it's pretty well done. The hammer is pretty powerful but the startup time makes up for it.

I remember this guy doing the backstep attack in the video, to lazy to find the time though lol.

So far the axe looks like may favorite. The Axe hits hard but isn't as slow as the hammer and the 2nd change is lengthy as hell. I saw a running poke too so that's cool.

Thanks! Thats good to know.
I guess they'll put the block latter on, maybe they're going to be based on timing (kind of like MG:Rising parries).

It's at 14:52 lol

neoism

holy shit thank fuck... I thought the stupid raincoat and axe weapon was what you used through the whole game.... soo will there be armors and alot of different weapons.. so you can personalize your character in a way.. I'm loving the feather V'd shaped cape.. :O... It that February for the USA ?????

holy shit thank fuck... I thought the stupid raincoat and axe weapon was what you used through the whole game.... soo will there be armors and alot of different weapons.. so you can personalize your character in a way.. I'm loving the feather V'd shaped cape.. :O... It that February for the USA ?????

Theyve already confirmed character customization. And I believe they said there is a wide variety of weapons. Maybe not as many as dark souls 2 but enough to make each frel5 unique. And yes February 6th USA. The wait is real.

Zaventem

Theyve already confirmed character customization. And I believe they said there is a wide variety of weapons. Maybe not as many as dark souls 2 but enough to make each frel5 unique. And yes February 6th USA. The wait is real.

Feels weird knowing how close the game is..

neoism

137.gif

oh man I was thinking Q4 2015..
<3

GorillaJu

My suspicion is that there won't be a huge variety of weapons, but what will be there will provide a lot of depth to combat.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The enemy design in this game is absolutely incredible. Every enemy I've seen so far (apart from the grunts) has an attack move that would give you one hell of a scare. I particularly like the pathetic looking birds that flop towards you. They look pretty easy to deal with until they get close enough and then "SHIT!" they fly up into the air and make the most God forsaken sound that bares no connection with the cumbersome, lowly creatures you thought they were. BRILLIANT.

Okay, Alpha chosen ones.

Sooo I really liked Demon's and Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was good but I felt it was a step back in a lot of ways. In comparison, I feel I can see Kamiya's touch on this a lot just from how stylish and imaginative it all looks.

What I'm specifically interested in is the movement of your character though.

I'm skimming through the thread and reading some people saying it feels faster and more dodge centric. That's fine, as long as its not fast in a way where combat seems mashy. I don't think a lack of shields would bother me, I'm more of a dodge kind of guy anyway. But to me the controls in Dark Souls 1 felt perfect. I loved the deliberate, committed feeling I got from every attack made, the sense of weight to your character and their weapons. I disliked Dark Souls 2 in comparison where movement felt very clumsy to me. Even at high agility levels it never felt as responsive as Dark Souls for me. I know to some people the games are basically the same with minor variations but it felt like night and day to me.

To someone who feels that way about the control schemes, how will I feel moving my character in Bloodborne?

Okay, Alpha chosen ones.

Sooo I really liked Demon's and Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was good but I felt it was a step back in a lot of ways. In comparison, I feel I can see Kamiya's touch on this a lot just from how stylish and imaginative it all looks.

I'm skimming through the thread and reading some people saying it feels faster and more dodge centric. That's fine, as long as its not fast in a way where combat seems mashy. I don't think a lack of shields would bother me, I'm more of a dodge kind of guy anyway. But to me the controls in Dark Souls 1 felt perfect. I loved the deliberate, committed feeling I got from every attack made, the sense of weight to your character and their weapons. I disliked Dark Souls 2 in comparison where movement felt very clumsy to me. Even at high agility levels it never felt as responsive as Dark Souls for me. I know to some people the games are basically the same with minor variations but it felt like night and day to me.

To someone who feels that way about the control schemes, how will I feel moving my character in Bloodborne?

The sense of weight when in combat is definitely back. Definitely not mashy either. Combat feels much closer to Dark 1 than 2. Trust me its one of the first things I sought to find out when I played.

Okay, Alpha chosen ones.

Yep, as DoubleTake said, it's much closer to Demon's/first Dark Souls, than to DS2. I didn't like the DS2 movement, but Bloodborne felt great from the get go. No need to worry about that - at all.

And now we wait for tonight :D

oldboss

The sense of weight when in combat is definitely back. Definitely not mashy either. Combat feels much closer to Dark 1 than 2. Trust me its one of the first things I sought to find out when I played.

<3

Thanky you !!! Was worried it would feel like DS2.

Laws00

oh hey youre invited to xenoverse and you didnt even have to sign up for it............

Why couldnt I get a bloodborne beta code instead ;(

Going to give this code away

as much as im a fan or was a big fan of DBZ i'm not feeling this

Fergie

Banned
oh hey youre invited to xenoverse and you didnt even have to sign up for it............

Why couldnt I get a bloodborne beta code instead ;(

Going to give this code away

as much as im a fan or was a big fan of DBZ i'm not feeling this

Same thing as well.

Sony trolling me hardcore.

Godan

Nice just got in too. So can we play this over the weekend? Can't check the link out just now as I am in work.

Top Bottom