• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

Raitaro

If all of this is actually happening, then the Nes Classic should go in the books as one of the biggest gaming hardware related f*ckups ever. As a case study of how not to bring a product to market if your intent is to make it affordable and widely available to casual buyers and Nintendo fans alike.

First they understocked or at the very least heavily underestimated demand for the machine, giving scalpers a field day and honest buyers nightmares.
Then they made promises to keep production going for quite a while to reassure frustrated customers.
Then hackers go to town - which I always said could have its price potentially - to add games, making the machine even more desirable (and scalp-worthy).
Then they suddenly end production (assumedly), leaving many, many frustrated people who wanted one, as well as leaving countless sales on the table for casual buyers.

Surely they would have calculated for the large chance of hacking to occur, no, while being happy with the fact that even hacked systems had to be purchased from them first? Surely they wouldn't award scalpers even more by stopping production as a sudden kneejerk counter measure, a measure that comes at the cost of people who actually wanted to buy one still (to leave unhacked) and play the included games on or to gift them to family and friends in the hopes it would rekindle their love for games? Surely this whole ordeal is not a good example of how to bring a supposedly affordable little retro toy to market and make people happy?

Sigh...all of this is making me very wary about the Switch and any future Nintendo products...(even more so than what happened with Amiibo)...

Koren

I REALLY hope it's false (I still haven't been able to buy one), but there was rumors in french dealers too, a couple weeks ago.

I can't understand how Nintendo can mess up SOC hardware in a plastic case. It baffles me that they aren't able to run off far too many of these in one go. Nintendo are shit at managing their hardware. Imagine something like this in Sony or Microsoft's hands, they'd probably channel stuff it like mad.

SystemUser

How often does reliable Nintendo information originate with Nordic retailers?

I feel inclined to believe NOA and NCL over a retailer in a lower tier market. This reminds me of when a journalist at tour of Sony of Russia broke the story that The Last Guardian had been fully cancelled.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/8/5790616/sony-reiterates-the-last-guardian-is-not-canceled

NintendoPage9 said:
We apologize to our consumers and retail partners for the inconvenience caused by product shortages. Some parts require time to procure, but we are working to increase production.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf

JJH

I got one for Christmas. While it's been a lot of fun the appeal is already gone, might sell on eBay if it's going for a decent amount.

lol I'm sorry, is Nintendo that fucking stupid??

nint.gif

NickMitch

NES Mini was/is probably one big marketing stunt. Brand exposure BIG time... shortages was guaranteed. Demand increased....along comes the Switch - high attatch rates due to brand status, but this time there will be no shortages.

I'm not sure if good strategy though

Teeuwen

Banned
If this is true I feel sort of dumb for being a nice scalper, I bought one on release day and resold it for $130.00 after I tried it, I was kind of bored with it after an hour of play time.

Figured i would maybe pick one up later on in its production cycle.. ..

Jokes on me!

It just wouldn't make financial sense to do this. The thing sells on eBay for triple what retail sells it for. They could easily sell 10s of millions of units, but they haven't produced a million yet. Investors would revolt.

Amory

Lame if true. I'd love to own one of these, but I'm not going to run to Target or Best Buy at the drop of a hat when there's a rumor they received 3 units, and I'm not going to pay a ton of money for one

So, ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they decided to kill it off after it got hacked. What's dumb is they could have VERY easily kept it from being hacked by the masses - not hook up the USB data lines. USB should have only been needed to power the device. If hacking it required opening the case, there goes like 75% of the people who want to try hacking theirs, even with instructions. Make it so they have to solder something, the number goes up to like 99%.

Netto-kun

So...crisis averted and it's just the Scandinavian region being a low priority and shitty region for Nintendo products?

http://www.techradar.com/news/dont-panic-nintendo-nes-mini-production-will-continue

TechRadar has received a statement from Nintendo, refuting the claims.

"Production for the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES continues, and NOE [Nintendo of Europe] will continue to ship units to retail on a regular basis," said a Nintendo UK representative.

So you might want to hold fire on selling off that kidney before splashing out on a second hand console with an inflated price tag.

The interest in the inaccurate report does however highlight the fact that, even months after launch, some fans have been unable to get hold of the console. Production may be continuing, but Nintendo still needs to ramp up production if it wants to avoid resellers taking advantage of the vacuum.

NES Mini was/is probably one big marketing stunt. Brand exposure BIG time... shortages was guaranteed. Demand increased....along comes the Switch - high attatch rates due to brand status, but this time there will be no shortages.

Really? How many people would you say are now rushing out to buy a $300 system, with games and services sold separately, because they got fed up of not being able to buy a $60 self-contained emulation system?

Sega's had "mini genesis" thing since the late 90s/early 2000s. The problem is they were always shit quality

Sega always licences it out to companies like Atgames, with shitty results. Nintendo actually creating the Mini( designed after the OG NES) provided a layer of authenticity missing from the third party clone systems.

Local store that has been around for years told us today that their distributor, in North America has verified that production has ended on the NES Classic and that it is being discontinued.

Local store that has been around for years told us today that their distributor, in North America has verified that production has ended on the NES Classic and that it is being discontinued.
Not what my distributor was told. I posted this earlier but no one ever listens to me. They were told distribution is no longer receiving any but the top 5-6 direct retail partners will receive any future inventory exclusively (so BB, Walmart, etc., presumably).

So as far as little shops are concerned, they might as well be discontinued, but that is not necessarily the case. They're probably just whittling down the number of places that were getting a tiny supply to begin with.

Roarer

So...crisis averted and it's just the Scandinavian region being a low priority and shitty region for Nintendo products?

http://www.techradar.com/news/dont-panic-nintendo-nes-mini-production-will-continue

Not sure about this. The (very large online) retailer that I work for has got definite word from Bergsala that we won't be getting any more units and that the product is discontinued.

The product is switfly being removed from all major Nordic retailers. Looking at [price-comparing website] Prisjakt.nu, all the major outlets are gone (including the one I work for) https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=3786960

If this is just for the Nordic market then it is still a baffling decision.

EDIT:
A report from a Norwegian site: https://translate.google.com/transl...al-ikke-selges-mer-i-norden/376506&edit-text=

Bendo

Well, it seems someone at Bergsala AB fucked up, because now they've changed their mind and are continuing to sell the NES Mini in Scandinavia after all (roughly translated by me):
– I can confirm that production of Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System continues, and that Nintendo of Europa will continue to send out consoles on a regular basis, says press contact at Bergsala, Inga-Brit Brækken to Gamer.no.

Beyond that the distributor had no comment on what changed for them or Nintendo.

What a mess, particularly considering a whole lot of people who have had preorders since last summer already had their orders cancelled.

EDIT: Just noticed their statement is word for word Nintendo UK's statement. I wonder whether this was Bergsala or NoE's decision. Either way, morons.

Chiramii

I'm fuckin' furious if this turns out to be true. I've had my fair share of gripes with Bergsala over the years but this tops everything. I've been waiting for mine since last summer and will never cave in and throw money at scalpers trying to make some quick cash and fuck me over at the same time.

Freddo

I ordered my NES Classic Mini back in July, and now I finally got a shipping notice. So I guess I will have it on Monday, took a while!

That said, Bergsala do suck. A lot :p

Top Bottom