• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

lol, don't we feel silly thinking things will change and everything goes as predicted ages ago??

durango/orbis = powerful, traditional
Nintendo = convenient, innovative.

every generation is the same, choose your non-nintendo console of choice and add the nitendo console to the mix and you are all set.

Hit the nail on the head.

Alej

Banned
why do you guys say that the ps4 is powerful when they could only play bf3 on medium settings using that card?

What the? Maybe because it's a closed box? Maybe 2005 hardware that is used in PS3 and that can only run oblivion on medium settings can run GOD OF FUCKING WAR 3 IN 720P WITH WONDERFUL IQ when enclosed in a box besides having HALF THE ROPS AND ABYSMAL RAM... or maybe not, let me dream.

DieH@rd

Banned
Oh god, imagine all that power in the hands of Sony first party developers.

weebay.gif

This. Imagine 6 years from now, 1st party PS4 game with 720p 30fps perfect AA. :-O The ammount of detail they can cram in in that game will be awesome.

Afrikan

I still don't believe all of this.

I mean..is really going to be 4GB of GDDR5 vs 5GB of slower DDR3 for Durango?

how much eDRAM can Microsoft put in there to balance that out? Is it even possible?

also would Microsoft even consider lowering their 3GB reserved for the OS over time?

i-Lo

So ladies and gents, I am VLTTP here. I just saw the specs and they looked, "okay". Still a bit miffed about the 512MB, i.e. MORE, than PS3 developers had for games at their disposal being Consumed by the OS. I really hope:

• It justifably earns that space
  • In time, the engineers can reduce that footprint as much as possible

Now, can any good samaritan kindly summarize any ancillary yet fully relevant highlights of this thread?

I would be most grateful if someone could save me from having to sift through "26" pages.

Thank you.

Good for you. I have a gaming PC for superior multiplats so only exclusives can entice me to buy the system and this generation I've not been impressed at all by Sony or MS's output.

I hope it will be better next-gen.

Yeah I completely understand that. Hard to argue the price for a product when the exclusive titles don't do anything for you. My gaming PC has about $900 in hardware currently and its only 2 years old and already I can't play things at Maximum resolutions. Compared to a console I am getting off really cheap in the long run.

So ladies and gents, I am VLTTP here. I just saw the specs and they looked, "okay". Still a bit miffed about the 512MB, i.e. MORE, than PS3 developers had for games at their disposal being Consumed by the OS. I really hope:

Now, can any good samaritan kindly summarize any ancillary yet fully relevant highlights of this thread?

I would be most grateful if someone could save me from having to sift through "26" pages.

Thank you.

Did you read the article?

I know everyone wants to just drive by and be informed on the opinion they should have but the article is really exciting.

Eideka

Banned
PC, as always.

And if proelite is to be trusted a 7870 should be enough to run next-gen games as well as the Orbis/Durango...

Not bad at all.

Yeah I completely understand that. Hard to argue the price for a product when the exclusive titles don't do anything for you. My gaming PC has about $900 in hardware currently and its only 2 years old and already I can't play things at Maximum resolutions. Compared to a console I am getting off really cheap in the long run.
I perfectly understand that, to each his own. ;)

Gorillaz

I still say for both $399. 450 is pushing it and 500 won't work imo.

It's not 2005/6 anymore, people aren't dropping a shit load for consoles. Also Idk how MS will pull off the "ultimate" box. I feel they might be underestimating it. I get that the 3gb is in place for the future of windows 8 and apps, but Idk if it could work tbh.

VanWinkle

I hate the "buy a PC instead" argument. If you can find me someone who is still playing all the latest PC games on his $500-or-less gaming PC from 2006, then color me very surprised.

There are clear huge advantages to having a console (along with disadvantages obviously; I know its not perfect).

DieH@rd

Banned
I still don't believe all of this.

I mean..is really going to be 4GB of GDDR5 vs 5GB of slower DDR3 for Durango?

how much eDRAM can Microsoft put in there to balance that out? Is it even possible?

also would Microsoft even consider lowering their 3GB reserved for the OS over time?

- 3.5GB of fast GDDR5 vs. 5GB of slow DDR3

- Most probably 32MB of ESRAM. Slower that X360 EDRAM but with better latencies.

- Yes, but they seem focused on creating home media center with great support for Kinect2, projectors, similar family accessories.

ekim

Thank you.

Look out for that wrestling gif on the last page

Mainly those comments are hear because the people who are ingrained in these forums are technical fans as well. So its not too strange to see those posts.
But of course the rest of the world is different.

Oh, I get it. I never once thought that Gaf=World, because as we all know that's not true.

And if proelite is to be trusted a 7870 should be enough to run next-gen games as well as the Orbis/Durango...

Not bad at all.

I perfectly understand that, to each his own. ;)

Indeed :) Still love my PC though.

I expect £350 with maybe a bundled game. /wishfulthinking.

I think there will be either one of two scenarios:

1) 2 units: $400-$450 / $500-$550
2) 1 unit / 1 subscription: $500-$550 / $100-$150 yearly sub.

ekim

- 3.5GB of fast GDDR5 vs. 5GB of slow DDR3

- Most probably 32MB of ESRAM. Slower that X360 EDRAM but with better latencies.

- Yes, but they seem focused on creating home media center with great support for Kinect2, projectors, similar family accessories.
Esram is faster than edram afaik.

i-Lo

Did you read the article?

I know everyone wants to just drive by and be informed on the opinion they should have but the article is really exciting.

Starting to read it now. I glanced over the bullet points.

I was wondering if any other info from other sources pertaining to the latest info was mentioned pages gone by.

Shocker, you are in the minority thus you don't matter.

More people use these services and feathers than not so why would they remove them? Because 0.1% of the install base throws a tantrum?

I don't think he is in the minority. I'd take 1080p@60fps over OS features every day. If Durango will be crippled by slow memory and an overbloated OS using 2 cores and 3GB of ram, while PS4 will have much more power available for games thus allowing 1080p gaming, I'd buy PS4 day one.

I hate the "buy a PC instead" argument. If you can find me someone who is still playing all the latest PC games on his $500-or-less gaming PC from 2006, then color me very surprised.

There are clear huge advantages to having a console (along with disadvantages obviously; I know its not perfect).

2006 hardware can still run the latest PC games. The only difference is the guy with a newer card has better image quality, better framerate, and more effects.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
512 MB vs. 3 GB for the OS makes it sound like Orbis is a game machine and Duragno is this thing that turns your living room into an entertainment hub which means Orbis >>> Durango.

But sony's machine will also be an entertainment hub, offering all the usual services. So it's not like PS4 will only be a games machine. Even if Durango is a great entertainment hub, will it be that much greater than all the media services that will be horizontal across both machines (and smart TVs etc)?

DjRoomba

Banned
Shouldn't we be more interested in what games/non game stuff are coming rather than what edram or gigahurtz or googleplexes are in the thing? No, this is Neogaf.
Fat nerds only happy when shit is CAPABLE of running things fast/amazing graphics rather than if there is a possibility it ever will

sphinx

the piano man
I expect £350 with maybe a bundled game. /wishfulthinking.

I'd have a psychological barrier there with that price if it doesn't include a good bundled game... If it came with a free PSN + account or a free game, then we could start welcoming our sony overlords.

Clevinger

I would not call Durango or Orbis powerful especially not Durango. A GTX 670 is more than 2x Durango's performance not including the VRAM is GDDR5 as opposed to DDR3. I would say the Durango and Orbis are a nice compromise between power, heat, price, and performance though.

It's very powerful for a console. It's kind of useless to compare it to PCs.

pswii60

SMH @ that 3GB RAM reserved for OS. I hope that is not true because wtf...
360 is incredibly efficient in this area, so if they're reserving 3gb it's either to future-proof (they can later release the memory back to developers for future games if they don't require it) or they have big plans for it being far more than just a games console. Will be interesting to see how next-gen plays out.

I guess it depends which platform devs feel most comfortable developing for and which one is the lowest common denominator.

Probably.

Although I must say that Xbox (followed by GameCube, when its comparatively minuscule storage media wasn't an issue) almost always had the one to get during that generation, in spite of its lukewarm reception. PS2 would have been hard to recommend had it not hoovered up the vast majority of exclusives. It did, and it's one of the greatest consoles ever as a result.

PS2 being a given for most games didn't really help the others get tapped as often as they could have been. I mean, if something weird and improbable happens, the others REALLY struggle and Wii U starts to become a popular CoD box...

delta25

Banned
I'm a bit of a laymen with this techno jargon, but next gen consoles using tablet and notebook tech with the capabilities of running BF3 at medium settings at 1080p out of the gate, this all seems rather disappointing imo. What am I missing, is power consumption really that detrimental?

VanWinkle

2006 hardware can still run the latest PC games. The only difference is the guy with a newer card has better image quality, better framerate, and more effects.

Do you know anyone doing that, and what state of playability are we talking about here? Keep in mind we are talking a $500 PC.

pestul

Even if a few things are wrong here and there, I'm still very impressed with these specifications. If they can both release under $450.. and the exclusives are there.. I'm definitely purchasing both within the first 2 years.

I'm an avid PC gamer and I still hate the spec comparisons. I believe we will see games at E3 that will blow us away on these closed systems..

I'm a bit of a laymen with this techno jargon, but next gen consoles using tablet and notebook tech with the capabilities of running BF3 at medium settings at 1080p out of the gate, this all seems rather disappointing imo. What am I missing, is power consumption really that detrimental?

That DF article breaks it all down. Go read the article.

Top Bottom