• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Orayn

So if this is true, which one is better 3.5 of GDR5 or 5GB GDDR3 assuming this is what ends up being used for gaming?

They each come with their own challenges, but I'd argue that the GDDR5 has the upper hand in all but the most exorbitant games.

Karak

3GB for the OS sounds insane. It must be have some integrated Twitch streaming or some shit.

The last target was fucking 1:1.5. So if it is 3 now. Either they way way way overshot their target. Or the Durango is running the most bloated OS known to console kind x2 + another random OS just for the fun of it.

Then again after reading the way this was written. It has a lot of caveats that point to them not actually knowing a ton of stuff.

Cronq

Banned
I'm not the smartest, or most informed, but Durango design seems like a juiced up Wii U.

Will this design architecture similarity help Wii U and hurt Orbis?

LTWood12

tumblr_mg6hbmBXhG1s2sgeco1_400.gif

3GB is the amount of RAM that Durango supposedly reserves for its OS.

Ah okay yeah that's fucked up and a waste.
Thought they meant orbis-OS.

Durango could be slower with comparable RAM and a heavy OS.
Pretty much what 2000 MS would release, it all seems odd.

Mad_Ban

Given those RAM differentials I can see a situation where (if true), the Durango can run multiple apps whilst in-game and have something like a "sleep" mode for games. While the PS4 would be more along the lines of a conventional console OS.

kadotsu

Banned
No idea which apps would require that amount of data but we know nothing of the system yet, so who knows what they do with it (iftrue).

One legitimate feature could be a "replay and save the last 15 minutes of gameplay" button for the youtube socialites.

But what about the GPU?

I'm running a 7970m.
If the PS4 has an underclocked version. Wouldn't that be kinda disappointing?

But remember:

"Freed from Windows and incorporated into a fixed console design, this GPU will really have room to show us what it's truly capable of."

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So if this is true, which one is better 3.5 of GDR5 or 5GB GDDR3 assuming this is what ends up being used for gaming?

Strengths and weakness in different areas. However, the article mentions that the NextBox will also have an unspecified amount of EDRAM which can changes things.

WalkMan

Banned
That custom chip is sounding a lot like a co-processor for floating point stuff, it seems. Fits with AMD's "Fusion" philosophy, and could potentially fill the role of what Cell's SPUs were used for. (Give up on backwards compatibility, though.)

Should be cheap enough to include a Cell/RSX chip onboard

Karak

could it be that they need that much ram so you can have full access to the os even when you're gaming?

Honestly. 3gigs indicates a problem with the designers. They were UNDER that target as recently as a couple months ago.
So...ya. Not 100% believing that they suddenly lost a gig.

VariantX

Honestly. 3gigs indicates a problem with the designers. They were UNDER that target as recently as a couple months ago.

Could be that they want to add quite a bit of stuff to it in the future so its there just in case. They'll probably give back whatever they don't use to gaming down the line anyway.

Orayn

how does a 7970m stack up to a 7850/7870?

Go here and choose "Show Desktop and Mobile GPUs" from the first drop-down menu, then click "Restrict."

Looks like it's a bit worse than a desktop 7870. Not sure how it compares to the desktop 7850 since they don't have benchmarks for that one.

FrankT

So if 3GB is right for next Xbox then something else must have been off in that VG247 article(at least according to two folks from that thread with insight). Me hopes it is the ram and not the configuration either.

how does a 7970m stack up to a 7850/7870?

Bit under GTX 660

Thoraxes

Pretty disappointing all around. I thought they'd be actual powerhouses compared to what we can already see on other platforms now.

2gb makes a lot more sense. 1gb for the os and 1gb for kinect. I assume 1gb would be enough to allow for full os access during gameplay?

Globox_82

Banned
I am not buying 3GB for OS in Durango, MS would not make a mistake like that and lose 3GB, unless they have extra RAM and won't use anything from 8GB on OS

Top Bottom