• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

newjeruse

man, i wonder what the jump will be like this time...

MGS1screenshot.png

mgscreen0020pd.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-20070920004531660.jpg
Shadow Moses, I need you back in my life.

So the PS4 and NextXbox gonna rock something similar to a 7970M? That's dissapointing that system can barely hold 55fps of Crysys 2 on Ultra. The article video show one of the least demanding sections of the game.
That was DF speculation I'm guessing, based on how they worded it

Nizz

Andy I know your getting bored to death of this but I am throwing another question your way. All these rumors about imminent console reveals. Any weight behind this stuff or are we waiting till E3 like we always do(except with the 360). I'm just trying to keep my mind as balanced as possible without resorting to drinking.

23fbb3aa55a96bb7898da5baf7937e5d4f9d5674.gif
Nice.

I'm dead set on getting a PS4 and this latest news just gets me even more excited. :)

I never said they will be on top no matter what, I said I don't think they will allow a huge discrepancy between their console and Sony's.
Well it sounded like it to me. "They will make sure they're neck and neck with Sony, if not outright surpassing them." I agree there won't be a huge discrepancy, but the strongest system could go either way - both companies want to have the superior product.

I really struggle to follow all this. Am I right in thinking:

* PS4 and 720 will be pretty much the same performance wise.
* The 720 will have kinect 2, the PS4 a Vita like controller for WiiU type playing.

And then speculating:

* In theory the PS4 should perform better because of the RAM and this magic chip (BC?) but we don't really know at this stage what the 720 has and even if it has nothing special Sony will no doubt screw it up somewhere else?

* The 720 will have kinect 2, the PS4 a Vita like controller for WiiU type playing.

And then speculating:

* In theory the PS4 should perform better because of the RAM and this magic chip (BC?) but we don't really know at this stage what the 720 has and even if it has nothing special Sony will no doubt screw it up somewhere else?

in theory we dont know because we dont know the gpu architecture on MS's chip and the article states that the 360 is using hardware specific solutions as well, as for the ram I think the edram, if large enough, coupled with more ram in general will be more benefitial in the long run then having the faster ram, much like the current 360 vs ps3 debate.

B.O.O.M

And then speculating:

I seriously doubt the PS4 controller will be a tablet like controller. My guess is a tiny ass screen or a track pad (like the one in vita)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I know there's an improvement every year in hardware but there's only a significant improvement every 4-5 years.
Every time any of these supposed big improvement come around, they compete with the older technology that was already figured out and maxed out through various optimizations, and things end up being maybe 50% better, which is business as usual for iterative yearly updates anyway. It's not worth waiting IMO, as the year after that, things would get 50% faster again and so on.

As for the voxel lighting, if true, you can bet anything that consoles are not the reason they are removing that. Rather, the reason is probably because it's not quite ready and they have to release the engine. Otherwise it would be in, and used on future high end PC configurations.

Reiko

Banned

And then speculating:

Unless we see this on GAF:

"Devs struggle with RAM amounts in Durango/Orbis. One Anonymous Dev calls it a "hassle".

And we haven't at all. You have nothing to worry about.

I seriously doubt the PS4 controller will be a tablet like controller. My guess is a tiny ass screen or a track pad (like the one in vita)

yeah, I don't mean a tablet, I mean literally a handheld like a Vita. The Wii U part is taking your game you are playing and continuing to play on the controller screen.

my desire for a long time now has been to finally have hardware that can do realistic, full on destruction physics in an urban open world. a game with a metropolitan city that can be reduced to rubble if you wanted. when that happens i know we've made a significant leap.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The math involved in actual realistic lighting is way beyond what is currently used in many of this generations games. Sure some tricks like ssao, hdr etc have been used but that is nothing compared to well executed ray tracing. There won't be ray tracing next gen, but the use of dynamic lighting will be something impressive compared to the often flat and life less lighting of the current gen. Not to mention simple things like shadow resolution increases.

"Ray tracing is and always will be the future of computer graphics "

meta4

Looking at the specs is it possible to have games that look as good as 1313 and Watch Dogs at launch? I mean third parties. First party games I know will look way better...

in theory we dont know because we dont know the gpu architecture on MS's chip and the article states that the 360 is using hardware specific solutions as well, as for the ram I think the edram, if large enough, coupled with more ram in general will be more benefitial in the long run then having the faster ram, much like the current 360 vs ps3 debate.
PS3 RAM and 360 RAM has a minuscule difference without eDRAM. Not really comparable situations at all.

Wow so the same 8 Jaguar cores as Xbox huh ?
The special compute chip sounds interesting. I wonder what other secret sauce it might have? The 1.8TF 18CU GPU is what I've expected all along. And it's nice to hear confirmation of 4GB GDDR-5. And good news if the OS only reserves 512mb. That should be plenty.

B.O.O.M

yeah, I don't mean a tablet, I mean literally a handheld like a Vita. The Wii U part is taking your game you are playing and continuing to play on the controller screen.

yeah well for that to happen it will have to be a pretty big design, similar to a pad. Maybe not as large but yes. I doubt it. I think it will be a small screen for menu navigation and the such and nothing more. The biometric part is the catch I think. I doubt they would want to make it any more costlier than they have to

Top Bottom