• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EuroGamer] Eiji Aonuma on how The Legend of Zelda made the Switch

Ashby

Man, this has got be feeling like the Switch version is gonna be phoned in an the Wii u version will be the definitive one :/

AntMurda

:O

Koizumi's his boss now? Dude should demote Aonuma and take over Zelda now that he has the power.

Koizumi would have to demote himself to take over Zelda. He is a General Manager (along with Eguchi) while Aonuma is a Group Manager.

Koizumi manages several teams and is "general / senior producer" while Aonuma manages the Zelda team and is "[main] producer".

HylianTom

Banned
RawmeatCowboy of GoNintendo did a very brief mention on his experience with rumble and BotW during this past weekend's podcast (webisode 596 on youtube, around the 13:45 mark).

At one point, he was playing and died in a mud bog. He says that as Link was sinking into the murky waters, you could feel the pop of bubbles in the controller. He repeated this a few times to verify it.

The overreaction is lame, but I guess I get it. Zelda has always been one of those characters where you just wish they'd do a better job of handling in terms of characterization. So having her cry, people pick up on that, assuming little to nothing will change for her in this game.

Logically it's like, wait for the full game to make your judgments. But realistically... no one would be surprised if the trend continues lol

It probably doesn't matter. Someone would have taken issue with it no matter how they handled the character in the past.

m4st4

Peach got it worse this year. And I don't even mind. It's the comfort of old school vs. journey into the unknown with a sparkle of hope with each installment.

arlucool

Don't know how well that would work for marketing and brand awareness. Link being white, male link in one game and then the next zelda game link is a black female? Why not just make it a brand new character to play as at that point?

Personally, while yes I think there's some room for differences in personality in different links, I don't think there's anything wrong with some things staying the same across all links, like his race, gender, courage, lack of speech and his swordsmanship. It makes sense. Those are some of the things that define his character. I also would have preferred if link stayed left handed in every version, but it's not a big deal.

THIS is one of the two main reasons. I work as a graphic designer in a company that handles licenses in merchandising, mainly clothes and accessories. When we get Disney, Nickelodeon or CN brands, they send a bunch a document pages detailing character specific attributes and details, so we don't screw up how they are portrayed and how they look. This companies spend a lot of effort to make sure their characters are perceive in a consisten manner across all media.

We know Nintendo does this aswell: There's documentation detailing Mario's personality, saying he is benevolent because of his adventures and travels. This is the same document were we learned of T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas's true name, :p
So there's branding restriction/tradition build across more than 25 years of Zelda games. Is not just "make a color pallet" "add longer hair and boobs".

Which brings me to my second reason. Would Lara Croft be the same is you added a beard and pectorals? Obviously no. Because she has mannerisms and animations according to her personality and character. And so does Link. They would essentially need to do two characters: double animations, voices, collisions? hit points?
What if Female Link is slender? Smaller? So in a cutscene they would also need to model, rigged and render two completely different scenes, for every cutscene.
The level of detail in Link as a character doesn't make room for Animal Crossing or Pokémon levels of prefered avatar.

Frodo

Eiji Aonuma said:
Another example of a challenge we faced was the physics engine. We wanted a consistent physics engine throughout the world that worked in a logical and realistic way. Actually implementing that was sometimes more complicated than it seemed. [For example], one day I picked up the latest build of the game and went to an area, and saw that all the objects that were supposed to be in that area weren't there. I was quite surprised and confused, and I realised after asking the programmer, the reason the objects weren't there was because the wind in-game had blown them all away.

That's the kind of challenge we faced, making the physics engine realistic, but not to the extent that it would negatively impact things - striking a balance between realism and having it work within the game world.

I really think the implementation of this physics engine is a major development for the Zelda series. The way the physics engine underpins everything in the world really offers up a lot of new possibilities. For instance, in Breath of the Wild you might have a puzzle where making use of the physics, there'll be various ways you can solve that puzzle. That really opens up a lot of possibilities so there's not just one way to progress in the game or just one way to solve a puzzle.

I like this bit.

I want the "wind blew my objects away" version of BotW.

Kacho

I find it fascinating how people saw Zelda crying in the trailer as her being weak.

Aonuma sounds like he's sighing with relief that he didn't have to focus on using the Wii U gamepad when the Switch version went into development. I can't blame him and I'm glad as a player we can just focus on one screen without all of the gimmicks.

The Boat

I like this bit.

I want the "wind blew my objects away" version of BotW.
You probably don't, that's precisely the point. Part of making a videogame is understanding what works for the player or not.
How realistic things should be to avoid gameplay problems and frustration and how what the players want or think they want isn't always (or usually) what they would end up liking.

I love this bit. Shows that you'll never run into the sort of problem he describes in the first paragraph.

That is amazing. And yes, physics systems are a nightmare to predict and debug. This is a rare example of a perceived problem being caused by the physics system actually doing what it should!

You probably don't, that's precisely the point. Part of making a videogame is understanding what works for the player or not.
How realistic things should be to avoid gameplay problems and frustration and how what the players want or think they want isn't always (or usually) what they would end up liking.

Excellently put, this is the other part of why I'm always somewhat wary of physics systems. The one thing that makes BotW exciting is that Nintendo is not the kind of company to bother with physics systems because for them, polish and feel is paramount, and physics systems very rarely cooperate with either. So the amount of work that must have gone into testing, polishing and tweaking must have been positively staggering.

Goodness... People saw Zelda crying and picked on it? Why on earth? Traumatizing things cause people to weep. Sheesh.

Great interview though. I love the fact that they really care about the broader context in making each area feel connected and part of a whole.

Peltz

Another example of a challenge we faced was the physics engine. We wanted a consistent physics engine throughout the world that worked in a logical and realistic way. Actually implementing that was sometimes more complicated than it seemed. [For example], one day I picked up the latest build of the game and went to an area, and saw that all the objects that were supposed to be in that area weren't there. I was quite surprised and confused, and I realised after asking the programmer, the reason the objects weren't there was because the wind in-game had blown them all away.

That's the kind of challenge we faced, making the physics engine realistic, but not to the extent that it would negatively impact things - striking a balance between realism and having it work within the game world.

Holy shit. This game is going to be dope, isn't it?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
this already make me want to see what will be a second/third gen make from the ground switch zelda game.

Why? It'll obviously come to Switch AND Nintendo Next Console simultaneously and it'll be (barely?) superior on the latter anyway... :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why? It'll obviously come to Switch AND Nintendo Next Console simultaneously and it'll be (barely?) superior on the latter anyway... :p

If Switch is the format going forward, by next gen mobile soc's will have advanced enough for it to be a bigger leap forward than Wii U -> Switch was :p

13ruce

Banned
I wonder what Koizumi feels about F-Zero

Some are absolutely adamant in the belief that the Switch version sports downgraded graphics due to how Nintendo made some lighting changes in the resurrection chamber

To add to this: they compare a 8 month old demo to another demo build wich we don't know of how recent that is. Untill the game has gone gold or is out we don't and can't know whats true lets wait for a real digital foundry analys before judging either version of the games.

One thing to note tho HD rumble could be a pretty big extra if they use it right. It's confirmed to be in.

To add to this: they compare a 8 month old demo to another demo build wich we don't know of how recent that is. Untill the game has gone gold or is out we don't and can't know whats true lets wait for a real digital foundry analys before judging either version of the games.

One thing to note tho HD rumble could be a pretty big extra if they use it right. It's confirmed to be in.

I was looking for impressions about HD Rumble but just 12 Switch obviously and ARMS as far as I know were using it, but maybe it is a surprise for later on switch.

Where have I heard this line about "Our Female Main character is more complex than she appears in the trailers pls be excited" before?

It's almost hilarious how this situation keeps happening with the biggest Japanese game releases this gen.

-shadow-

The part about everything disappearing because of the physics engine sounds almost like a Bethesda glitch party on the released product. Really made me giggle.

Man, this has got be feeling like the Switch version is gonna be phoned in an the Wii u version will be the definitive one :/

That's probably what you hope but there was no indication in that interview.

Where have I heard this line about "Our Female Main character is more complex than she appears in the trailers pls be excited" before?

It's almost hilarious how this situation keeps happening with the biggest Japanese game releases this gen.
Maybe it doesn't keep happening. Maybe that's what he is saying. But you seem to be 100% sure this is a lie.
Because: you heard it before.

Okay, so no gaming company can ever have an interview anymore, never show trailers, never show gameplay segments, never show screens, etc. Because you know, there was this Ubisoft game one day and a MGSV quote the other day and well: they lied.

You COULD be right of course. But we'll just have to wait and see. And when it turns out it's bogus, that would be a good time to confront him with his quote.

kunonabi

It sounds like the WiiU version is holding the Switch version back in the name of parity.

Wish it weren't so.

They gutted the wii u version due to the single screen of the switch so forgive me if I don't give a shit about the switch being held back.

zeldablue

Aonuma: Regarding how Princess Zelda is portrayed in the trailer, obviously everyone has their own ideas of exactly how they would expect a female character to act or behave. What I would particularly like to emphasise is that the scene of her crying in the trailer is just one scene from the game - within the trailer itself it forms a dramatic high point, but that shouldn't be taken too much out of context.

Princess Zelda as she appears in the game as a whole is very complex and multi-faceted, and it's not as if she's crying all the time in the game [laughs], so I would ask fans not to read too much into just that one scene from the trailer, and to please play the game and appreciate Zelda as she is in all her aspects.

I'll hold him to that. IMO it's impossible for her to be interesting or multi-faceted if she has no screen time. If I were to name any well developed Zelda character, they'd be characters that actually have a real presence in the game. Zelda better not be MIA for 90% of the game. -___-

That's probably what you hope but there was no indication in that interview.

Maybe it doesn't keep happening. Maybe that's what he is saying. But you seem to be 100% sure this is a lie.
Because: you heard it before.

Okay, so no gaming company can ever have an interview anymore, never show trailers, never show gameplay segments, never show screens, etc. Because you know, there was this Ubisoft game one day and a MGSV quote the other day and well: they lied.

You COULD be right of course. But we'll just have to wait and see. And when it turns out it's bogus, that would be a good time to confront him with his quote.

Look, I'm unbelievably hyped for the game. But frankly, this same scenario has occurred 3 times thus far. It's just really funny to point out especially after how Luna and Quiet turned out to be rather vapid overall. I do think Zelda will rise above those other games in terms of making a good character. Because in terms of Tact, Zelda has almost always been at the top of its game.

At least we know she appears at least 6 or so times in the game which is probably more screen time than the other characters who've suffered.

I thought it'd be common sense to not view that 2 seconds of Zelda crying as how she is throughout the game, but I'm glad Aonuma cleared it up.

Look, I'm unbelievably hyped for the game. But frankly, this same scenario has occurred 3 times thus far. It's just really funny to point out especially after how Luna and Quiet turned out to be rather vapid overall. I do think Zelda will rise above those other games in terms of making a good character. Because in terms of Tact, Zelda has almost always been at the top of its game.

At least we know she appears at least 6 or so times in the game which is probably more screen time than the other characters who've suffered.

I understand. It's hard not to be cynical these days.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Some are absolutely adamant in the belief that the Switch version sports downgraded graphics due to how Nintendo made some lighting changes in the resurrection chamber

There is no belief, it is irrefutable that lighting changes were made and certain lighting effects are missing. That is all. Whether this is a real downgrade or just an issue in the build they used remains to be seen. And I don't recall anyone seriously believing that the Wii U version would retain these effects and lighting while the Switch would not. Anyone with a bit of sense would know that the far more likely situation, really the only possibility, is that if it's missing from one version it will be missing from both.

But as it stands right now with the information we have these elements were present in the Wii U build and missing from the Switch build. I'm optimistic it's just a bug in the build, not an outright downgrade. But right now all we have is the footage to go by. So until we get more footage or the final game it's an unanswered question.

AdanVC

That bit where Aonuma was testing one area with objects that were supposed to be there but they weren't because the wind physics blow them all, lol! Can't freaking wait for this game!!

But reaction seems split on her crying during the trailer, with some saying it demonstrates a lack of strength, others saying it's good she's showing emotion.

I was, uh, unaware this was a thing. We don't even know the context behind that scene!

Glad Aonuma agrees with me on that.

Dr.Hadji

Well, yes, but that specific behavior was clearly unwanted and subsequently fixed. You're not gonna see that happening.

Not on accident anyway. Now I'm sure there is going to be a high wind advisory location in the game. If Link pops open his paraglider at the wrong time, he might get blown off of a mountain.

Falchion

Pretty cool article about its development. Definitely crazy how they didn't start working on it for the Switch until about a year ago.

The Boat

I always found it hilarious that even if a female character is strong and does lots of important stuff in the story, the moment she cries or gets kidnapped, all her accomplishments somehow vanish.
To me, this seems much more sexist and two-dimensional than having a strong female character cry.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Koizumi would have to demote himself to take over Zelda. He is a General Manager (along with Eguchi) while Aonuma is a Group Manager.

Koizumi manages several teams and is "general / senior producer" while Aonuma manages the Zelda team and is "[main] producer".

Looks like he got promoted so he won´t fiddle with games anymore because of super mario galaxy? I hope not, let this guy make a new Zelda. 2D or 3D I don´t care, just let him make him a game, which don´t need to put out in a year.

KarmaCow

I always found it hilarious that even if a female character is strong and does lots of important stuff in the story, the moment she cries or gets kidnapped, all her accomplishments somehow vanish.
To me, this seems much more sexist and two-dimensional than having a strong female character cry.

Well in this case we've seen nothing of the former, only the latter. They shouldn't be crucified for it since we haven't seen the entire game but I don't see anything wrong with a little eye rolling when that is the scene they chose to highlight.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Isn't he still helming Mario Odyssey, though?

Probably the same way Miyamoto was "helming" Pikmin 3. Senior General Executive Producer. Koichi Hayashida is likely the direct Mario Odyssey Producer while Koizumi is like Senior General Producer or some mess like that.

The Boat

Well in this case we've seen nothing of the former, only the latter. They shouldn't be crucified for it since we haven't seen the entire game but I don't see anything wrong with a little eye rolling when that is the scene they chose to highlight.

Yeah, but I wouldn't describe some people's reactions as "a little eye rolling", which is unjustified in any case.

I wish people would keep their gender politics out of my games.

Characters in Nintendo games have operated the same way for basically forever. They can have a natural evolution over time but just because people lose their shit over nothing doesn't mean that we can't have Zelda cry because her city just got destroyed while Link and herself are presumably on the run.

zeldablue

Marin and Midna get through the entire game without getting kidnapped, why does Zelda have to? It's more so the lack of originality as to how the plot progression goes. I mean...Marin was still a love interest and everything but she still managed to break the cliche. Same for Midna I guess, but she didn't have to get kidnapped because no-show Zelda did that for her.

Remember when Twilight Princess was being hyped and they were all like "Ganondorf will appear...but in a way you'd never guess!" And it turns out he just kind of shows up at the end for no reason and fights you. It's one of those unfortunate scenarios.

It feels lazy. It has turned into so much of a gripe, that I wish they'd take Zelda and Ganon(dorf) out of the series for a while in order to do something else.

I just hope they don't decide to go the obvious route. It'd like to actually be surprised for once.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Dont get why people want a female link, would much prefer Zelda as a playable character. Nintendo aren't going make female version of Mario instead they give Peach as a playable character.

What do you mean? We already got a female Link.
linleeee.JPG

The Boat

Marin and Midna get through the entire game without getting kidnapped, why does Zelda have to? It's more so the lack of originality as to how the plot progression goes. I mean...Marin was still a love interest and everything but she still managed to break the cliche. Same for Midna I guess, but she didn't have to get kidnapped because no-show Zelda did that for her.

Remember when Twilight Princess was being hyped and they were all like "Ganondorf will appear...but in a way you'd never guess!" And it turns out he just kind of shows up at the end for no reason and fights you. It's one of those unfortunate scenarios.

It feels lazy. I just hope they don't decide to go the obvious route. It'd like to actually be surprised for once.

I remember having this discussion with you before, so I'll keep it brief :p

Zelda being kidnapped or needing to be rescued is obviously a staple of the series, it's not a matter of originality, it's a matter of keeping that tradition, that fairy tale cliché and that parallelism. I thought this was made very obvious with the emphasis on "you must rescue my daughter" or whatever in the latest BotW trailer. You are free not to like it of course.

Ganondorf is foreshadowed and shown much, much before the final fight. His lack of presence is as it always was because he has always been a puppet master and a goal to reach, not a regular presence like Ghirahim. As with many things regarding Zelda stories, people seem to miss a lot.

Oh and TP Zelda wasn't kidnapped, she swallowed her pride and surrendered herself to save the life of her kingdom's citizens and later sacrificed her magic or life force or whatever to save Midna. Which is kind of the same thing in a way, but the context of her altruism puts it into a different light.

You can focus on a few points that are series' staples that you don't like and keep wishing they go away, but that doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot more surrounding Zelda that has always been changing. She has always been a fighter and had an active role in the story in every single 3D Zelda except for MM, because she only makes a tiny appearance.

Oh and Marin is kidnapped at the end of the game too, just like Zelda in every 3D game.

Top Bottom