• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Leaked PS4 Slim is legit (bootup video)

QaaQer

OléGunner;214564704 said:
Said in the other thread but this is a bad looking console similar to the first PS3 slim.
Just a really fugly design that looks very very cheap.

lol. It's entertainment center gear. As long as it is black, and the lights are inconspicuous, everything is good.

ironcreed

Banned
PS4ss.gif

I mean, it's an all matte PS4 with rounded edges and no light strip. A bit shorter as well. Other than that, I don't see how this is so much uglier than the OG when they are really not that different.

Meh, i guess Sony has to reply somehow to Xbox One S so here is the PS4 Slim, even though it's not really that slim or different compared to the original PS4, Xbox One S instead it's a real deal compared to original Xbox One, which is really big and has that external power supply
I don't know why you think this is a 'reply' to the S. The S and this revision aim to do different things.

QaaQer

PS4ss.gif

I mean, it's an all matte PS4 with rounded edges and no light strip. A bit shorter as well. Other than that, I don't see how this is so much uglier than the OG when they are really not that different.

We're getting some warring from the wall vagina box.

Ishida

Banned
Meh, i guess Sony has to reply somehow to Xbox One S so here is the PS4 Slim

I really hope this is a joke post. Do you seriously believe Sony could just shrink the PS4 hardware in a matter of mere months?

This is not a response to the Xbox One S. It's like if people have forgo that Sony has been making smaller revisions to their hardware since they entered the business.

rambis

Banned
Meh, i guess Sony has to reply somehow to Xbox One S so here is the PS4 Slim, even though it's not really that slim or different compared to the original PS4, Xbox One S instead it's a real deal compared to original Xbox One, which is really big and has that external power supply
Slimline consoles are consoles that reduce the cost of manufacturing and BoM. Companies release them to maximize profits and lower pricepoints. Has nothing to do with replying, this was likely planned in the initial designs.

Do you believe all the things you type?

Spaced apart USBs look weird. Other than that it looks nice.

As others have speculated, I assume that one USB3 is as far right as is possible so that you could connect to PSVR using a right-angle USB cable and avoid too much cable mess. It does beg the question why both USBs aren't on the corner.

I'm still hoping that Neo will have a rear USB3 for PSVR, and two HDMIs for those of us who don't have an HDCP 2.2 capable amp. Heck, maybe even throw in one of those quaint old-school optical ports...

vpance

Slimline consoles are consoles that reduce the cost of manufacturing and BoM. Companies release them to maximize profits and lower pricepoints. Has nothing to do with replying, this was likely planned in the initial designs.

Yeah. You take advantage of a node shrink as soon as it's available.

Knew this shit was happening. The whole "Neo is the Slim" assumption never made sense.

Jotaka

g7iAGl4.gif

You must be young... because creating slim version is a thing since forever (PS1 slim).

I'm surprised by the negative reactions to this. It's basically the same design as the launch ps4 but with an entirely matte top surface, rounded edges, and thinner.

Sure, the top looks plain, but I sort of think it's a classy approach for inclusion in a home entertainment system. It looks like it's trying to attract as little attention as possible, just melting into the background.

It's no sports car, but for more practical reasons it's almost ideal. Maybe a little too practical for some.

I'm more interested in what the Neo will look like. If they're making the slim out to be the practical/fiscal option, will they be emphasizing a tone of luxury with the neo? Will it be flashy? With the slim being all matte, i'm expecting a lot of gloss on the neo.

I don't get why people are complaining about the USB Ports

Using a hub or any wide USB plug when something is already plugged in was a nightmare on the old one. They maybe went too far apart but I'd far prefer this over being too close together.

bunkitz

Not to be skeptical or anything, but it could simply have been plugged into a real PS4 that's hidden from the camera. Although, the fact that somebody from DF went there and returned with this video makes me think it's real. At the end of the day, I suppose I don't really care since I've already got a PS4 and this is just the same. Good for the people who don't have a PS4 yet but don't care for 4K, though.

It must be an internal rule at Sony to make their slim redesigns ugly as all fuck.

Don't get me wrong, it'll sit in the entertainment center just fine.. but par the course of their slim offerings, it looks like a cheaper knockoff of the first.

The doom thinker in me just doesnt buy this kind of leaks when we could have E3's without anything leaking... Having it all ready with box etc? Dunno... seems scripted thinking about it

Hoo-doo

Banned
PS4ss.gif

I love the minimalist look and how fucking flat it is.

Tempted to actually trade in my OG PS4 for this. Although I do like the LED strip.

lol. It's entertainment center gear. As long as it is black, and the lights are inconspicuous, everything is good.

Yup, def not arguing that.
It's meant to play games and does that well enough so looks are secondary haha.

That being said I just don't like how it looks.

I like the look, would I be able to take out my updated hard drive from my OG PS4 and add it to this slim model?

My 2TB needs to get filled.

How did someone actually sell, and another person buy, this thing? I mean I'm used to concept art being release, games going on sale before release, promos being leaked before announcments, but for someone to actually buy a console revision before it's even been announced? wtf?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i remember people hating the gloss side of the ps4.

now they give you, the same thing but matte everything and people lose their minds.

must be something in the water.

Top Bottom