• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European diplomats on Trump: 'Being anti Obama is basically his only position'

ezrarh

This isn't ultimately surprising. Every time black people get a leg up, white people just fucking lose it. Civil war and emancipation? Failed Reconstruction and the installment of Jim Crow. Black Wall Street? Riots and burnings. Civil Rights? Assassinations of key people, the drug war, and the act's eventual neutering. Obama elected as President? Elect a white nationalist moron right afterwards.

It's like clockwork. God forbid a black man cure cancer because welcome to your fucking Am I Legend timeline in response. America will be damned if our accomplishments and progress can just stand as they are.

And a lot of white people have the gall to tell black communities to "pick themselves up by bootstraps" and "fix the culture"

ezekial45

Banned
I don't believe that Trump himself really hates Obama so much as it's really the only unifying factor of his base and that's where he gets all of his validation from. He thinks of his presidency like a television show in which he's found his audience and is almost exclusively pandering to them. It's a disgustingly cynical way to treat the office of Presidency, but I'd expect nothing better from him.
Keep in mind that Trump amplified the birthed movement during Obama's first term. Also, we can say for a fact that he's deeply resentful of how well liked Obama is, and is extremely bitter that he doesn't have that same admiration for himself.

So yeah, Trump going after Obama's legacy is a clear sign of his view of dislike of him. He'll never be as well liked as him, and that eats away at Trump everyday.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It's unreal how much Trump and the GOP are still focused on Obama and Hillary. The election is over. Obama's presidency is over. Get over it and focus on actually making the country better.

I think the biggest issue is that they are completely bankrupt of original ideas to actually improve the country. They are only fueled by their dislike for liberal ideology, so all they can do is things that negatively impact it.
They are doing everything they can to tarnish Obama's legacy in the history books.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
We need to contact Obama and have him decline climate change.
Obama could probably make a press conference where he does that, directly wink at the camera, and Trump would probably still fall for it hook, line and sinker.

He ate every bait that Hillary set during the presidential debates. He'd definitely fall for it if Obama pulled anything like that.

But unfortunately Obama is way too classy to do it.

linkboy

I still can’t wrap my head around why Obama is viewed so negatively by the conservatives of the US. I just can’t.

Because he's black and that pisses off a lot of white Americans who are opposed to any success that African Americans get.

The fact that an African American made it all the way to the be the most powerful man in the country send them into a frenzy they still haven't recovered from, and won't until Obama's legacy is totally destroyed.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Quoted for hard truth

Time to face reality conservatives

Being "anti liberal" isnt enough. It never was

I wish you were right, but given that the GOP controls both houses of Congress, the White House, and the overwhelming majority of state governorships, I don't believe that you are.

Liberals and Democrats keep getting told "just being anti-republican and anti-trump isn't enough!"

But being anti-democrat and anti-Obama is enough.

Says a lot about America.

In hindsight, we already got a taste of this during the Clinton era. You know, America elects its "first black president" and stuff and Congressional Republicans literally jump at the chance of being the hyper-partisan, obstructionist assholes that we've gotten used to by now when they retake the House in 1995 (coincidentally doing so with that shitheel and current Trump-groupie Newt Gingrich at the helm).

Of course, that was just a taste of what was bound to happen when America would then elect its real first black president... :-/

I wish you were right, but given that the GOP controls both houses of Congress, the White House, and the overwhelming majority of state governorships, I don't believe that you are.

I wish I was right too

I mean... at least approval ratings are dropping but thats just people disgusted with Trump

Conservatives still cling to to their extreme views and Obama hate

L Thammy

To those of you who are saying that this is being anti-liberal instead of anti-Obama, or about that Trump being like this is about Republicans rather than Trump. Put yourself in the mind of Trump.

First, convince yourself that other ethnicities are subhuman hordes.

Second, convince yourself that everything you do is the greatest the world has ever seen. That the only struggles you've had are that the world can't handle how successful you are. That you are the ultimate self-made man.

Third, watch as someone who looks very different from you is elected president. He becomes the leader of the free world, the name everyone knows and can't stop talking about for eight straight years. He has, without a doubt, reached at a station higher than yours.

At that point, how do you feel? How do you have to react?

I'm pretty sure Republicans in general have similar reactions - see the Mitt Romney Obamacare attitude shift thing - but it's got to be personal for Trump.

Keasar

I still can’t wrap my head around why Obama is viewed so negatively by the conservatives of the US. I just can’t.

One of these is not like the others.
great-american-presidents.jpg

In an oddly poetic way, Trump is proof of what would happen if people really did elect someone "just like themselves".

People like to shake their fist and say they'd run the gubmint better than those poly-tishuns' and they'd go around tellin' other countries The Way It's Gonna Be!

Well, here we are.

Yeah but did it have to happen in this age in humanity?

Good point though.

McLovin

Yeah they are spot on and its been pretty obvious for awhile. Its shocking how his base supports him to this day considering how any of the things trump has taken/is trying to take away benefited them directly.

GodofWine

I'm convinced its race based.

Someone get him a fake article about all the times Obama said climate change was not real, and how Obama used inflammatory rhetoric in the face of crises.

BriGuy

He's the Fox News president. For the past eight years, he (and a depressingly large segment of the population) was steeped in rhetoric and propaganda that painted Obama as the worst thing to ever happen. It's only natural that he would automatically assume that doing the opposite of Obama must be the right call.

Tacitus_

Being anti-liberal got them there. But since that's all they had, they're now floundering aimlessly. It's the pitfall of parties who do nothing but yell that the government sucks. Great for scoring points while in opposition, but shit for actual governing.
In a more reasonable country, they'd get voted out in the next elections.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
just makes you love the fanfic people desperately tried to weave when obama and trump met about how obama supposedly talked sense into this guy.

It probably is this. :(

There's not really any "probably" about it. American society got problems.
He also successfully passed the largest act of wealth redistribution in decades, as well as a piece of major financial regulation.
He'd have been 5 to 10 percent less hated if he hadn't spent the first couple years successfully passing liberal domestic policy cause billionaires would've been less motivated to drop cash whipping the tea party into a frenzy.

This is all revenge for Obama getting him good at the White House Correspondents dinner, isn't it?

This is the world we live in.

Obama accomplished an incredible amount in 8 years except for one thing...

Gun control.

The minute Obama shed tears over Sandy Hook, the hatred exploded. All because a black man dared to say that the country needed to seriously consider gun control.

Once the conspiracy theorists got hold of it, the subject was obliterated and Obama was beaten into submission.

Skilletor

I just started readingStamped from the Beginning: The definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi. In the prologue of the book, he says, "If Barack Obama came to embody America's history of racial progress, then Donald Trump should come to embody America's history of racist progress. And racist progress has consistently followed racial progress."

That's what we're seeing here.

I still can't wrap my head around why Obama is viewed so negatively by the conservatives of the US. I just can't.

The conservative playbook is to vilify a thing so they have something to rally their base around because most poor white folk don't actually want major tax breaks for millionaires. It's really easy for them to do when there's a Democratic President. Bill Clinton presided over an era of peace and prosperity and they tried to nail him over a blowjob. Barack Obama was an easy target; there's already an inherent racism in the conservative base that is easy to pander to. But beyond that, it's merely a case of "this guy is in power, if anything in your life is going wrong right now it is obviously his fault," combined with a bunch of people being hurt by the recession that was mainly driven by the policies of conservatives they elected. It's simple propaganda to redirect the focus away from the fact that the party preaching about Gods and guns is robbing the poor to give to the rich. That strategy only works if you can convince the poor people to utterly hate something, and that's where Fox News and Breitbart and the like come in. The conservatives have utterly mastered propaganda, so when they turned it against Obama, it was incredibly effective.

Trump's hatred of Obama is different. Obama mocked him personally, and Trump, the raging narcissist he is, absolutely can't handle it. But Trump is also super-easy to influence with propaganda, so any time negative stuff about Obama comes on, he is inclined to believe it. He's an impressionable simpleton with a raging hate boner for a powerful man who dared to mock him.

jehuty

I honestly believe that the whole alt-right movement and it's hatred against black people (mainly black men) is due to some weird obsession about perceived black men's penis size. It has to be it. When white people used to lynch black guys back in the day, they would routinely castraste them or cut their penises off. If you look at a lot of alt right posters, they always mention cuck this and cuck that and also highlight dumb shit like 'white women holding black pole/staff, Hollywood is trying to condition them to be sexually attracted to black men'. It's so weird and anecdotaly, I've had a couple ex girlfriends who showed me hilariously sad DMs about their dislike of them dating/being attaracted black men. Chances are that Trump saw Obama getting dressed at some point and it completely destroyed him. That has to be it right?

Ponn

Banned
People really should start using his Obama obsession against him.

"Did you know Obama didn't actually believe in climate change and was working against those policies"

Top Bottom